Skinny people who think they know better...

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    OMG! That is so rude! The pic with this young skinny man with a message on in: Trust me brah... Why would anybody feel the need of putting such a pic into a random forum post??!! Would it be ok for somebody else post pics of us, being overweight, with some stupid messages written on it??? I am working with people every day, i see different bodies every single day and really got upset after seeing that picture. What do you think will happen if this same young man stumbles on that pic in internet one day, how would he feel? Just because he is genetically skinny does not mean that he goes around and makes jokes of all people bigger than him. Tell you what, I have heard plenty of stories from "skinny people" about them having tried for years to gain weight and with no success. Probably they feel exactly the same about our advice, eat more and go to gym more often etc. How magic do these genes sound then?

I am not with "skinny genes" but I am definitely eating too much sweet stuff, exercising too little, not eating enough fresh and should be drinking more water and less coffee. If healthy fit (or even healthy skinny) person talks about their eating and exercise habits I listen very carefully because obviously they are doing something different than me, maybe there is a lesson for me. Maybe we are the lucky ones instead because it seems to be so much easier to lose weight and get toned than to gain weight and maintain it (especially for men).

Are you new to the internet? Trust Me Brah guy is a very veeeeery common internet meme.

Truth. Back in the day when I was young and have less than 1k posts trust me brah (I lift) was my avatar.

So that would make it ok to post offensive pics of somebody? Still don't find it funny.

I don't recall asking if you personally found it funny. I was merely commenting on your newness to the internet.

e7bfd437635340065afc83281a2520ee40853713aa0cd1293da12adab54a44cd.jpg
  • rudarbe
    rudarbe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Yes. Freaking annoying Dr Oz.
  • MaretL
    MaretL Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't recall asking if you personally found it funny. I was merely commenting on your newness to the internet.

That's right, you didn't. I still don't understand how not knowing about some pic and having under 1K posts in Myfitnesspal means I am new to internet though.
  • WoodChuckNorris
    Options
    Good grief....the derp vs. knowledge in this thread is epic.
  • WoodChuckNorris
    Options
    All the skinnies on here slam you for not eating how they say you should...which is a way that keeps you fat

*slow claps* if that was a joke, very well played

*slow claps* if you were serious, congratulations, that is the dumbest thing I have read all week.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Just asking....

Do you think shes never had a weight problem because she watches her diet and works out? I used to be a skinny gal until I wasnt, lol. Ate what I wanted and stayed thin. When I turned 28 things changed. Anyway, my point is, when I realized I had crossed over to the dark side I started to work out. I saw all the skinny girls really working out hardcore. I thought to mysef "why are they here, they are skinny". I came to realize they were skinny because they were working for it and always had.

She's healthy and has healthy eating habits. That's why it bothered me actually... I don't think someone who has always had healthy eating and exercising habits is the best person to give her opinion about weight loss, when she probably has no idea what it's like to love calorie-heavy food, have binge issues etc.

But apparently, because I've learned most of what I know from MFP, it's wrong too. Whatever...

Wait... what? Why would being thin mean that they don't know anything about nutrition? Or like fatty foods? My boyfriend has never had an issue with weight-- he's always been very fit but he still is knowledgeable about nutrition. Because you have to have knowledge about nutrition to stay fit. My boyfriend LOVES high calorie foods but forces himself eat healthier foods. Yeah, forces. Because if it were up to him, he'd eat bacon cheeseburgers, cherry cokes, and cookie cake all day everyday and not work out at all. And as for MFP knowledge being wrong... yeah. A lot of misinformation *does* get passed around on these forums. I know this because when I first started trying to lose weight, I read a lot of stuff on here and then would research it on my own. Yeah, my boyfriend never had issues with being fat but when I asked for tips, he gave them to me and big surprise, they worked. Every single one of them. The fact that I was getting weight loss tips from someone who never had a weight problem meant that I just adopted better eating habits in the end.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just like the overweight people who blame metabolism, genes, etc for not losing weight. Not just the skinny people who think they know it all.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. "Well I've always been 100 pounds soaking wet. Why don't you just exercise more? It's not like it's hard. You're just lazy." BLAHHHHHHHHHHH. Good for them, but not everyone has magic genes and an endless supply of willpower.

Genes have nothing to do with it and willpower is a matter of choice.

Hate playing the anecdotal card but ever since I hit puberty I put on weight easily but I have never being overweight. Never being underweight or skinny either as its a constant game to keep the weight down. I am not a special snowflake I'm just like everyone else who stays a "normal" body weight but I resent the assumption that's its easy.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    So much bitterness in this post....

Bringing someone's weight into the issue and dismissing their opinion because they are skinny is no better than people who will dismiss someone's opinions or make assumptions about them just because they are fat.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Associating knowledge on weight loss with someones size is a foolish thing to do.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    People in general who give advice on weight loss are often questioned by those receiving the advice.

My comment (first page) I stand by. Not that the person who gave me the advice is skinny...she is fit etc...but still believes everything has to be low fat and uses raspberry ketones and green coffee bean and loves Dr. Oz and thinks 1200 is great and doesn't weight her food and insists she gained 4lbs last week...k whatever. I laughed at her when she told me that on Monday...but just because she is fit, isn't overweight and never has been and exercises, has a TDEE of 2300 and is a hardbody doesn't mean that all her advice is sound....the only reason she has her hard body now is because I introduced her to resistence training and she stopped doing so much cardio.....imagine that...

Bad advice is bad advice regardless of who is giving it and what their size is....

But I will say this...having the OP in context makes a big difference and the "rest of the story" is still a bit of a mystery.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Just asking....

Do you think shes never had a weight problem because she watches her diet and works out? I used to be a skinny gal until I wasnt, lol. Ate what I wanted and stayed thin. When I turned 28 things changed. Anyway, my point is, when I realized I had crossed over to the dark side I started to work out. I saw all the skinny girls really working out hardcore. I thought to mysef "why are they here, they are skinny". I came to realize they were skinny because they were working for it and always had.

She's healthy and has healthy eating habits. That's why it bothered me actually... I don't think someone who has always had healthy eating and exercising habits is the best person to give her opinion about weight loss, when she probably has no idea what it's like to love calorie-heavy food, have binge issues etc.

But apparently, because I've learned most of what I know from MFP, it's wrong too. Whatever...

Actually. someone with healthy habits would probably have some good advice to offer. Why are you dismissing it just because she's never had a weight problem?
    I've never had a significant weight problem, but took the time to educate myself on nutrition and exercise. I do have good advice to offer. Honestly, if people choose to dismiss it because of my weight... they're wrong.

I agree with the above. I think your logic is really skewed here. I think it's easy for us to get totally immersed in the research we do. Obviously everyone is different. She might not be a very nice person, but why would you dismiss her advice because she's managed all her life to not do what we've done.

From the tone of your post, it sounds like you're almost looking down on her for never being overweight. I don't get it!! Chip on your shoulder? Seems like it to me.
  • nikki0753
    nikki0753 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    i havnt read other responses, just going by OP but im actually getting so sick of this site and these threads! every day there is some bitter post about skinny people!! why is it ok to shame thinner people?
    im naturally skinny but have some really good weight loss advice! i helped my boyfriend lose 4 stone!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Skinny people who think they know better... as opposed to overweight people who think they know better.

At least skinny people have something to show for it....
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Just asking....

I know others have commented on this, but seriously are you for real? Do you honestly think that everyone of a healthy body weight is there because they dont love calorie heavy food? Leaving aside all the people on this site who promote flexible dieting etc, do you realise that the large proportion of the western world are of a health body weight? That most of those people love cake, pizza, chips etc? Do you think that they are that way because they actually prefer kale and getting up at 6am to go for a run? Do you think they have never had an emotional crisis and cured it with an entire tub of Ben and Jerrys and a late night family size pizza are on their own?

Or could it be that they have learnt to manage food and exercise so they can enjoy life and still remain in shape. Perhaps they know what they are talking about?

Again, yes! Another example of "all or nothing" that I said previously that heavier people have. Eat to extremes, then discover exercise and 5K's and exercise to extremes. It's ok if you can maintain that level. Most thin people moderate better.
  • KimiSteinbach
    Options
    i havnt read other responses, just going by OP but im actually getting so sick of this site and these threads! every day there is some bitter post about skinny people!! why is it ok to shame thinner people?
    im naturally skinny but have some really good weight loss advice! i helped my boyfriend lose 4 stone!

Exactly! If you want to get fit and in shape, hang with the fit and in shape. If you want to learn to budget your money better, glean advice from those successful in that area.
  • KimiSteinbach
    Options
    Here's another thing. I dated a very thin guy in high school and then we lived together for a year so I got to see his eating patterns. He was thin for no other reason than he didn't consume much. Do you know what? I actually lost weight. My mother was concerned and she took me to a doc. He said I was right on target on European charts. This was 20 yrs ago. I live in the US.
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Just asking....

Actually. someone with healthy habits would probably have some good advice to offer. Why are you dismissing it just because she's never had a weight problem?
    I've never had a significant weight problem, but took the time to educate myself on nutrition and exercise. I do have good advice to offer. Honestly, if people choose to dismiss it because of my weight... they're wrong.

Yeah, this. It's like saying I should discount everything a female doctor tells me about my man parts because she's never had them.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    OMG! That is so rude! The pic with this young skinny man with a message on in: Trust me brah... Why would anybody feel the need of putting such a pic into a random forum post??!! Would it be ok for somebody else post pics of us, being overweight, with some stupid messages written on it??? I am working with people every day, i see different bodies every single day and really got upset after seeing that picture. What do you think will happen if this same young man stumbles on that pic in internet one day, how would he feel? Just because he is genetically skinny does not mean that he goes around and makes jokes of all people bigger than him. Tell you what, I have heard plenty of stories from "skinny people" about them having tried for years to gain weight and with no success. Probably they feel exactly the same about our advice, eat more and go to gym more often etc. How magic do these genes sound then?

I am not with "skinny genes" but I am definitely eating too much sweet stuff, exercising too little, not eating enough fresh and should be drinking more water and less coffee. If healthy fit (or even healthy skinny) person talks about their eating and exercise habits I listen very carefully because obviously they are doing something different than me, maybe there is a lesson for me. Maybe we are the lucky ones instead because it seems to be so much easier to lose weight and get toned than to gain weight and maintain it (especially for men).

Are you new to the internet? Trust Me Brah guy is a very veeeeery common internet meme.

Truth. Back in the day when I was young and have less than 1k posts trust me brah (I lift) was my avatar.

So that would make it ok to post offensive pics of somebody? Still don't find it funny.
    This post will just make it that much funnier when someone makes a "that's not funny" meme featuring you.