WHAT'S YOUR BIGGEST TIP FOR WEIGHT LOSS

Options

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I keep a journal that I update every thursday with date, weight, measurements(hips, stomach,waist, thigh, arm and neck). When I think I'm not losing I go back a couple of months, or a year now, and see how far I've come. It puts me on track right away. MFP has great graphs etc., but I like this method too.
  • 15Nov2013
    15Nov2013 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    MODERATION ... no dieting
    Patience, Time, a small deficit (eat enough calories) and exercise in moderation (so you are able to stick to it)
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Have a pressingly urgent, life-or-death important reason to lose, and consider that reason in every single decision you make.
  • fairefaerie
    fairefaerie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Okay, here's what I've learned over the past decade:
    Take one week to show yourself what you're really eating. Be completely honest and look at it honestly.
    Be positive toward yourself - then look to improve.
    Every time someone tells you to "just eat less" consider punching them in the face. I bought into that so many times over the past decade with no results. Then I did my baseline reading (item 1). I was eating way less than 1000 calories a day! A quick check by my personal trainer/nutritionist confirmed that I was starving myself which made my body think it had to hold on to everything. Basically, I am a 200 lb anorexic. Now I have to manage my calories to take in enough. Every time I take in between 1200-1400 calories, I drop a little weight, and I'm doing it healthily.

DO NOT LET OTHERS PRESSURE YOU INTO IGNORING YOUR BODY.
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Make one small change at a time. All those small changes add up over time to big changes but by being small you came make them part of your life one at a time without a big shock to the system.
  • pluto2626
    pluto2626 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking enough water! Your weight divided by two= how many ounces you should be consuming each and everyday!!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    you didnt gain it all in one week and arent going to lose it all in one week
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    Patience! It is a work in progress. Every day is a new beginning! Keep your goals small and a reachable. IF they are too big you will set yourself up for failure. So you can't run or walk a block. It will come. We didn't here overnight and it is not going to happen overnight. Record you calories and food here at MyFitness Pal. Find some frinedshere as well.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Know when to put the fork down. If you have to unbutton your pants at a restaurant, YOU HAVE OVER EATEN!
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Be realistic. I see too many people fail because they adopt an all or nothing attitude and when that is not sustainable they quit.
  • lucum
    lucum Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of great tips here and I'll just add one more to the collective voice.

If you need to lose weight (more than 20 lbs), you should change to a marathon mindset.

Emotionally most people including myself, tend to be impatient with how we think it should go and this many times causes us to crash. If you can shift your mindset to the longer picture, the one that realistically says it will take me 12 months to lose all of this weight (or whatever it is), you'll have a healthier outlook on the ups and downs.

I think codemonkey78 quoted Walt Disney which is another good one about to win just means not quitting.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    For me the most important thing I've done is to pre-log my food. I do most of the cooking and I know what we're having for dinner and so I plan my breakfast and lunch around that to make sure I meet my macros and don't go over anywhere. It's also great for days when you know you're eating out. Figure out what you're going to have ahead of time and then adjust the rest of the day so it will still work.

I normally love surprises but not in this case. There's nothing worse after a long day than realizing you've gone over your calories and not being able to do anything to change it.
  • jlcrph
    jlcrph Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Weigh, measure, log everything.
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Never give up, never surrender.
  • tonitass
    tonitass Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    log everything you put in your mouth-stay with in your calories workout-and drink water-:smile:

Definitely this. It's worked for me. 98 lbs gone in a little over a year and I know I can maintain this.
  • CaseyM1985
    CaseyM1985 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Take one day at a time. It's a journey! Also, don't be hard on yourself for one bad day, just be able to get back on track and overcome!
  • rcclcruiser
    rcclcruiser Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Make it fun, so you will keep doing it. Pick healthy foods and exercise that you will continue to do.
  • j9wallis
    Options
    dont waste any calories on drinks! and have the right foods in the fridge!
  • offbeatdave
    Options
    Adjust your eating habits (i.e calorie deficit) but don't diet or deny yourself anything.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    If you bite it write it!