WHAT'S YOUR BIGGEST TIP FOR WEIGHT LOSS

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Lift Your Weights. Enjoy your life. Never feel bad about food choices. Be Happy.
  • 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy food for health
    Eat less of healthy food for weight loss
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Be patient!
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale and weigh everything! This helped me get off my plateau.
  • Chance535
    Chance535 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Find workouts that you enjoy.
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Start small.

If it's an overall lifestyle change that you want, slowly chip away at the habits you want to break/modify/introduce. The tendency can be to have a huge overhaul when the fire gets lit, but people burn out pretty quick. Patience and understanding with and for yourself can make all the difference imo.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Be CONSISTENT.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Adyanna79
    Adyanna79 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Giving up is the only way to loose this fight and Stay Positive!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    BE CONSISTENT

21525558.png
  • stephcbms
    stephcbms Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    eat less :)
  • SnowWhiteFanatic
    SnowWhiteFanatic Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Log EVERYTHING!! You don't realize how much you eat until you log and weigh your foods. Also looking at labels. I am so much more conscious now when I read all the labels or research how many carbs and fat and calories a food has.
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Persistence. You're gonna have off days and days that are harder than others and ones where you slip up. Don't like one heavy day, one plateau, or even one way of dieting derail you from your goal. Keep working on it. Find new recipes, new diets, new workouts, new motivations, whatever to keep going!
  • bcruz313
    bcruz313 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of what is said but I will elaborate a tiny bit:

Portion control - I find half the plate of veggies and 1/4 - 1/3 of protein and starch/carbs no more than twice a day. Could be a slice of bread, brown rice, potato sweet potato. no more than twice and no more than 1/4 of the plate. I don't count fruit as a starch or carb either. Fruit helps move things along in your body. Depending on your current weight, 2-3 fruits a day is good.

Calorie deficit - Calories in vs. calories out is very important. In order to loose weight you should be burning more than you consume. HOWEVER, consuming too little calories will not do you any better because then your body holds on fat for dear life. You need to find your happy medium. I do not like that if you say you want to lose the max per week MFP tells you your calorie goal is 1200 cals. Depending on your height and weight, I'd say for most people that is way too little especially if you are exercising. If you are taller than 5' - 5'2" IMO that is not enough sustenance. if you are generally hungry after drinking a glass of water your body needs more calories. Plain and simple.

Drink your water - it is imperative.

Good luck!
  • WordWhimsy
    WordWhimsy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    plan your entire day's meal plan either the night before or first thing in the morning and log it! or write it down. journal it SOMEhow. knowing what your foods throughout the day are in advance gets rid of the improvising where so many of us slip up.

I totally agree with this! If you figure you want a glass of wine or a piece of chocolate, work your day around it. Eat veggies to balance it out.

Remember you can have it all, maybe just not as much as you once wanted and not all in the same day. Don't let the treats snowball out of control.

If you can skip a treat, skip the treat. If you can go without, do it. Calories saved add up for when you really want something. Then you don't have to feel guilty.
  • ball_FXDWG
    ball_FXDWG Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Do it for yourself.

You may start doing it for other people or for materialistic goals, but if you quickly don't find you are changing for yourself it won't last.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Start small and realistic and work your way from there. If you are not an exerciser don't say you are going to now work out six days a week. Start with one day or two days a week until it's routine, then add a day, etc. Same with weight loss goal. Don't start with 50 lbs. Start with 5 and achieve it. Then set the next goal, etc.
  • tolber27
    tolber27 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Two things: meal prep and support system.

Meal prep: being prepared for the week ahead takes away from the urge to stop and grab something on the way home.

Support system: by getting a good group of MFP friends, you'll be surprised how a few likes on your .4 pound weight loss can keep you going.

Good luck!
  • Joc4936
    Joc4936 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How big or small should my goals be? I'm at the heaviest I've been in a long time and hate myself. HELP :(
    :cry:
  • rsteinberg07
    Options
    Portion Control and dedication!

I was 245 lbs. in May 2013.

In November 2013 I was 180 lbs.

65 lbs in 6 Months. It can be done!

Unfotunaltly i now weigh. 193 lbs.

Ive put back on 13 lbs. in about 3 months...

But now im trying to get back in it.

PORTION CONTROL
  • tenatroy1
    Options
    If you eat a nutritionally dense meal then you won't have craving like tons of veggies, nuts, seeds,beans and fruit.