"Girl" Pushups????

Options

Replies

• vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with being taught both forms (some of the kids may not be strong enough to a regular push up) but I would definitely ask the teachers to refer to the other form as a MODIFIED push up. I mean, what if there is a boy who is too weak to do the regular one? Should he be shamed by having to do a "Girl" push up. Aside from that we shouldn't teach girls that they are weaker and incapable.

I would just approach the teacher calmly about the subject and ask that they refer to it as a modified push up in order to not establish gender rules.

^this.
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i see it takes me way too long to type a response.

in the time it took me to type it, 200 people made the same point i was going to...

Story of my life
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Actually Donnie the preferred nomenclature is Assisted Push-up. Sorry, had to do the Big Lebowski. Yes, think calling them girl push-ups is not only wrong but tacky. We don't call assisted pull-ups girl pull-ups now do we. Wake up America !!!! i'm gettin' tired of these mother****in snakes on this mother****in plane. Yes they deserved to die, and I hope they burn in hell.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a real problem with people (men and women) thinking women should not/cannot lift heavy weights, "like a man". The ridiculous idea they must lift differently. Light weight, more reps to tone or fear of bulking up and all that nonsense.

I wonder if it might actually start with something like this. Not something I really ever thought of until this discussion.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    OP, you overreacted. The teacher was trying to be accommodating. Sick of the hidden agendas.

Wait, what?

At the end of the day, all she did was tell her daughter to do regular pushups instead of modified pushups. I would tell my daughter the same thing...well, *almost* the same thing. I would tell my daughter to do the version of pushups *she* wanted to do and not to feel like she didn't have a choice...and I would probably use the opportunity to have a discussion with her about expectations, physiology, etc.

My only agenda is in raising my daughter to be an independent-thinking adult who is able to function within the system while being keenly aware of it...and if she *chooses* to rage against it and try to effect change, I will support that too.

ETA: TL;DR - I think OP handled the situation admirably. Now had she marched into the school and demanded the teacher be reprimanded/fired or organized a protest, then yeah, I might agree with you.

Just wanted to add: I actually agree with you, jof, that this is a good opportunity to have that kind of discussion. That being said, my daughter is only 7 and I'm not sure she would have grasped what I was trying to teach her on this one yet. BUT...you are probably right that I should have told her she could do whichever she likes. My main thought was that I would rather she TRY the full way and learn the modified way IF she can't do it...otherwise, she tends to choose the path of least resistance...or least effort.

Scaling the "lesson" in real-life examples like this one based on age/maturity level is one of the most challenging aspects of being a parent (IMHO)...and yeah, sometimes, the lessons don't need to be explicitly given, because they pick up important pieces on their own. Also, I think it's important that you don't let your own opinions squash/override theirs (at least in matters where there is no "wrong" answer), but this can also be a real challenge.

/oldguyparentingthoughts

TL;DR - you did fine...and I suspect your daughter learned what she needed to learn and will be better for it.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Yep, in reality I've got a pretty moderate opinion as well. Not out to make anyone call them girl push ups, I just don't understand the hoohaa about the term

Speaking of terms...

...that isn't the definition I've been using for that word.
    LOL I suppose I could word that better. Except now I'm trying to word it better the only word i can think of is uproar and that seems a little harsh

(I believe the word you're looking for is "brouhaha"...

...but too late because I've already quoted you and made not one, but TWO jokes about it.)
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    :huh:
    http://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/hoo-ha
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Yep, in reality I've got a pretty moderate opinion as well. Not out to make anyone call them girl push ups, I just don't understand the hoohaa about the term

Speaking of terms...

LOL I suppose I could word that better. Except now I'm trying to word it better the only word i can think of is uproar and that seems a little harsh

...but too late because I've already quoted you and made not one, but TWO jokes about it.)
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hooha
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options

Speaking of terms...

I really hope you are purposefully missing my point otherwise this is just getting ridiculous. I have already admitted that it has two meanings, there is even two meanings in the link I posted. My eyebrow raise was at the person who apparently found it hysterical that you corrected me, even though I had already pointed out that that word was what I meant to say and does mean that, before she posted.
  • bonnymom
    bonnymom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    When I was in school everyone called them girl pushups. My kids' gym teacher calls them modified pushups. BTW, my 7 year old is proud that she doesn't have to do modified pushups. Now me on the other hand, I can barely do one. Still at the beginning of changing my lifestyle.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I think referring to them as "girl" push-ups is dumb. Call them what they are, "modified" push-ups.
    If a boy can't do regular push-ups and has to do "girl" push-ups, he might be embarrassed and make negative associations with exercise... If he has to do "modified" push-ups, it's no big deal.

And assuming girls can't do proper push-ups is also dumb.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Oh Heelllllll no! I would be calling that as'shole and telling him that I don't appreciate his attempts to indoctrinate the future generations in sexist bullshi t.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I think referring to them as "girl" push-ups is dumb. Call them what they are, "modified" push-ups.
    If a boy can't do regular push-ups and has to do "girl" push-ups, he might be embarrassed and make negative associations with exercise... If he has to do "modified" push-ups, it's no big deal.

And assuming girls can't do proper push-ups is also dumb.

Meh. If it was only about the boys, I'd say hell yes, call them "girl push ups." You want to see boys work harder? lol

The problem is the effect on girls, and that's uncool.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Speaking of terms...

I really hope you are purposefully missing my point otherwise this is just getting ridiculous. I have already admitted that it has two meanings, there is even two meanings in the link I posted. My eyebrow raise was at the person who apparently found it hysterical that you corrected me, even though I had already pointed out that that word was what I meant to say and does mean that, before she posted.

409454649_83288a3d90.jpg

<alt="I can assure you that I am missing no points." />
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    You would go talk to the teacher about this, really?
    Its just what they are called, doesn't mean boys can't do girl push ups, or girls can't do real push ups. They were called girl push ups when I was at school to, and it hasn't lead to a life of me or anyone else I know of thinking that's all im allowed to do and i'm physically inferior.

No, it's not just what they're called. They're called modified push ups or knee push ups; maybe even half push ups.

Well you see, actually it is what they are called. If not, this thread wouldn't even exist and googling "girl push up" wouldn't populate 168,000,000 results.

I could probably find a rather large number of members on this site who agree that you're a tool. That doesn't make it your proper name and it doesn't make it appropriate for me to refer to you that way.:flowerforyou:

possibly you could, but not 168 million.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    You would go talk to the teacher about this, really?
    Its just what they are called, doesn't mean boys can't do girl push ups, or girls can't do real push ups. They were called girl push ups when I was at school to, and it hasn't lead to a life of me or anyone else I know of thinking that's all im allowed to do and i'm physically inferior.

No, it's not just what they're called. They're called modified push ups or knee push ups; maybe even half push ups.

Well you see, actually it is what they are called. If not, this thread wouldn't even exist and googling "girl push up" wouldn't populate 168,000,000 results.

Actually, they're called modified push-ups. Not only did you miss the correct number of results for "girl push-ups" by 167998340 results, but Google simply searches what people put out there on the interwebs. Lots of misinformed individuals and a long-standing STUPID IDEA doesn't mean it's not stupid. Bloodletting was used to cure medical ailments for almost 2000 years (which certainly trumps the "100 years" that you pulled out of your *kitten* with regards to the use of the term "girl push-ups") and it's still freaking quackery.

RANDUMB NUMBERZ!!!!!

Oh, wait, no. Here's some actual information:

1. http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&amp;word1="girl+push-up"&amp;word2="modified+push-up"
    2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodletting

good_day_sir_gif-393.jpg

I didin't google "girl push ups", I googled "girl push up", it's right there on the screen for you to read, I can't read it for you. And I copy and pasted the results, hard to miss that.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    haha We have those terms in German too:

Liegestützen -> pushups
    Frauen-Liegestützen -> women pushups

to be honest. I can only do the women pushups :-D But I´m sure I can do the ordinary ones one day. Having 20lbs less to lift will probably help too :laugh:

you mean they are called girl push ups other places too? Color me shocked.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    No, it's not just what they're called. They're called modified push ups or knee push ups; maybe even half push ups. This is only half of the issue though.
    They are known by all of those names, and also girl push ups. Just the fact that everyone in this thread immediately knew what a girl push up is without having to be told shows that.

Some people believe that the word "wetback" is acceptable when referring to a Hispanic person because everyone knows what you're talking about. Some terms have negative connotations, such as sissy or retard, and most people are wise enough not to use them as an obvious attempt to belittle and insult the recipient. The examples are endless... Athletes are fined for such things it's so out of favor to throw about slurs.

Clearly, a few of MFP's finest are in the first category that doesn't think your words try to impact the recipient. You're just blindly flailing them around and believe your words have no impact. You can absolutely stay in a bubble where you claim "I didn't mean anything by it." You think calling it a "girl pushup" isn't belittling. So knock yourself out... call it whatever you want. People have the free-will to respond accordingly and may think you're ignorant, but hey... joy of free speech.

I like to think words are powerful. They can teach, communicate attitudes, inspire or diminish, words can move your damn soul. I will grant you that some take political correctness WAY too far... from banned books, to opposition to Secretary's Day. It does get out of hand. Some of you clearly think "girl pushups" is just fine and not at all diminishing the recipient of that comment. I tend to disagree. But to each their own.

I link this article as reference and to point out this is not an attack on anyone (although I have no doubt it will be reported). http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/03/there-is-outrage-but-tea-party-hispanics-silent-over-racial-slur/

Let the teacher use that one and see what happens.
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    WHAAAT???
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    haha We have those terms in German too:

Liegestützen -> pushups
    Frauen-Liegestützen -> women pushups

to be honest. I can only do the women pushups :-D But I´m sure I can do the ordinary ones one day. Having 20lbs less to lift will probably help too :laugh:

you mean they are called girl push ups other places too? Color me shocked.

A gym teacher shouldn't be calling them that in the capacity of her profession. I assur eyou when she went to college to become certified to teach PE, she did not learn to call them "girl pushups."
  • swycoff17
    swycoff17 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    As a P.E. teacher, that statement really disgusts me. My students learn the proper form of push-ups. If they cannot do them properly in the correct form, they then can do "modified" push ups to help build strength. They all know the ultimate goal, however, is the build the strength to do them without the modifications.
    I genuinely hope your daughter didn't "learn" a ridiculous generalization that "girls can't do what boys can do physically."
    Kudos to you for correcting what your daughters teacher/coach taught her incorrectly.