"Girl" Pushups????

Options

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do girl squats. I throw a girl over my shoulder and do what I hear are bodyweight squats.

Remember that one time I threw you over my shoulder?

That was awesome... I think.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    This thread has very little to do with gender roles. It's really a question of whether girls can, and/or should be encouraged to do regular push ups. Pushing girls to step up when it comes to strength and athletics shouldn't really be a threat to a strong man.

The thread is actually entirely about gender roles. Assigning the role "girl" to a modified push-up first establishes that girls are "lesser" as it is a less physically demanding activity. It implies that girls are weaker and should shoot for the smaller, or lesser, success of performing modified push-ups. It finally implies that boys that can only perform modified push-ups are no longer entitled to their gender identity of "boy".

I really, REALLY appreciate where you went with the second half of your statement, though. The strength that women possess shouldn't be a threat to ANY man. Unfortunately, as we've seen in this thread, it still is.

It's not necessary that this have anything at all to do with gender roles. All it "implies" is that girls can't do real push ups. And by contrast, arguing that girls can do real push ups (and that perhaps we should just call them wimpy push ups or modified push ups) doesn't necessarily mean that girls aren't on average weaker than boys. Guess what? They are. And that really shouldn't be controversial or a shock to anyone. Again though, pushing girls and women to be stronger shouldn't be a threat to strong men, regardless of one's stance on gender roles.

By saying "It's not necessary that this have anything at all to do with gender roles.", you're ignoring the fact that the gender binary is a pre-existing social construct full of sweeping generalizations and one hell of crappy, oppressive regime. I know I'm belabouring the point, but this is my job. I'm an educator in this area. I give talks on the gender binary, gender identity and sexual dimorphism and how they're all very different things. I just hope I can open a few eyes and to those who want to keep their heads in the sand, so be it.

With regards to push-ups, to call modified push-ups "girl" push-ups is just inane. I will concede that men, on average have greater upper body muscular strength than women. We are, however, talking about push-ups and women are just as capable of performing full push-ups as men. Come the eff on.

You use a lot of awfully big words...

...for a girl.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do girl squats. I throw a girl over my shoulder and do what I hear are bodyweight squats.

It would have been great if you hadn't clubbed me first. :angry:
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options

...for a girl.

tumblr_mwtxxusYDi1qlh1s6o1_400.gif
  • wheird
    Options
    This thread has very little to do with gender roles. It's really a question of whether girls can, and/or should be encouraged to do regular push ups. Pushing girls to step up when it comes to strength and athletics shouldn't really be a threat to a strong man.

The thread is actually entirely about gender roles. Assigning the role "girl" to a modified push-up first establishes that girls are "lesser" as it is a less physically demanding activity. It implies that girls are weaker and should shoot for the smaller, or lesser, success of performing modified push-ups. It finally implies that boys that can only perform modified push-ups are no longer entitled to their gender identity of "boy".

I really, REALLY appreciate where you went with the second half of your statement, though. The strength that women possess shouldn't be a threat to ANY man. Unfortunately, as we've seen in this thread, it still is.

It's not necessary that this have anything at all to do with gender roles. All it "implies" is that girls can't do real push ups. And by contrast, arguing that girls can do real push ups (and that perhaps we should just call them wimpy push ups or modified push ups) doesn't necessarily mean that girls aren't on average weaker than boys. Guess what? They are. And that really shouldn't be controversial or a shock to anyone. Again though, pushing girls and women to be stronger shouldn't be a threat to strong men, regardless of one's stance on gender roles.

By saying "It's not necessary that this have anything at all to do with gender roles.", you're ignoring the fact that the gender binary is a pre-existing social construct full of sweeping generalizations and one hell of crappy, oppressive regime. I know I'm belabouring the point, but this is my job. I'm an educator in this area. I give talks on the gender binary, gender identity and sexual dimorphism and how they're all very different things. I just hope I can open a few eyes and to those who want to keep their heads in the sand, so be it.

With regards to push-ups, to call modified push-ups "girl" push-ups is just inane. I will concede that men, on average have greater upper body muscular strength than women. We are, however, talking about push-ups and women are just as capable of performing full push-ups as men. Come the eff on.

...for a girl.

Overcompensating for a heavy flow?
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I just looked through my original post and my follow up comments...I *don't believe* I ever said I was going to talk to the teacher. I just wasn't happy about it.
    Apologies, that was someone else in the thread. Although you did suggest your daughter talk to the teacher about it.
    No, it's not just what they're called. They're called modified push ups or knee push ups; maybe even half push ups. This is only half of the issue though.
    They are known by all of those names, and also girl push ups. Just the fact that everyone in this thread immediately knew what a girl push up is without having to be told shows that.
  • odusgolp
    Options

I thought that's just how things worked in the big city??
  • wheird
    Options

I thought that's just how things worked in the big city??

No, you can go CLUBBING in the big city, as in nightclubbing!
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I thought my gym teachers were just preparing me for later in later in life... with calloused knees and whatnot.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    So we're talking about modified pushups? Not boobs.

Ohhhhh.....

tumblr_mw4pcoANRm1rlb6iho1_400.gif

*Exists slowly*

*Has a sad*
  • wheird
    Options
    I thought my gym teachers were just preparing me for later in later in life... with calloused knees and whatnot.

It is a mercy, really.
  • JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    haha We have those terms in German too:

Liegestützen -> pushups
    Frauen-Liegestützen -> women pushups

to be honest. I can only do the women pushups :-D But I´m sure I can do the ordinary ones one day. Having 20lbs less to lift will probably help too :laugh:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I just looked through my original post and my follow up comments...I *don't believe* I ever said I was going to talk to the teacher. I just wasn't happy about it.
    Apologies, that was someone else in the thread. Although you did suggest your daughter talk to the teacher about it.
    No, it's not just what they're called. They're called modified push ups or knee push ups; maybe even half push ups. This is only half of the issue though.
    They are known by all of those names, and also girl push ups. Just the fact that everyone in this thread immediately knew what a girl push up is without having to be told shows that.

I think most of the arguments here are prescriptive rather than descriptive, and even in respect of those that are descriptive, there is a difference between the proper terminology and slang.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

tumblr_m0ld1pFCz01qzydh2o8_250.gif
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options

I think most of the arguments here are prescriptive rather than descriptive, and even in respect of those that are descriptive, there is a difference between the proper terminology and slang.
    Even if it is slang, which I guess to be fair it is, what is wrong with slang? Its well known slang, so its not like its something the teacher has made up and noone knows what he is talking about.

I know the issue is the people who don't believe its called that find it offensive, but from my point of view its completely inoffensive, and as I pointed out earlier, growing up with them being called girl push ups has had no negative effects of me, or anyone else I know.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Even if it is slang, which I guess to be fair it is, what is wrong with slang? Its well known slang, so its not like its something the teacher has made up and noone knows what he is talking about.

I know the issue is the people who don't believe its called that find it offensive, but from my point of view its completely inoffensive, and as I pointed out earlier, growing up with them being called girl push ups has had no negative effects of me, or anyone else I know.

Alas, another unknowing victim of the gender binary social construct.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

I don't think it's all that offensive, but for me, if the teacher is teaching little girls (and especially if those little girls include my daughters), then I would prefer the term "modified push ups." Language does have meaning and emotional conotation, and if you call a modified push up a "girl push up" then that does imply that they are for girls. And yet, girls are very capable, if taught, of doing real push ups, ergo, I don't think it's appropriate to call modified push ups "girl push ups."
  • odusgolp
    Options

Some people believe that the word "wetback" is acceptable when referring to a Hispanic person because everyone knows what you're talking about. Some terms have negative connotations, such as sissy or retard, and most people are wise enough not to use them as an obvious attempt to belittle and insult the recipient. The examples are endless... Athletes are fined for such things it's so out of favor to throw about slurs.

Clearly, a few of MFP's finest are in the first category that doesn't think your words try to impact the recipient. You're just blindly flailing them around and believe your words have no impact. You can absolutely stay in a bubble where you claim "I didn't mean anything by it." You think calling it a "girl pushup" isn't belittling. So knock yourself out... call it whatever you want. People have the free-will to respond accordingly and may think you're ignorant, but hey... joy of free speech.

I like to think words are powerful. They can teach, communicate attitudes, inspire or diminish, words can move your damn soul. I will grant you that some take political correctness WAY too far... from banned books, to opposition to Secretary's Day. It does get out of hand. Some of you clearly think "girl pushups" is just fine and not at all diminishing the recipient of that comment. I tend to disagree. But to each their own.

I link this article as reference and to point out this is not an attack on anyone (although I have no doubt it will be reported). http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/03/there-is-outrage-but-tea-party-hispanics-silent-over-racial-slur/
  • wheird
    Options
    Girls are so touchy. I knew letting them vote would do this.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Some people believe that the word "wetback" is acceptable when referring to a Hispanic person because everyone knows what you're talking about. Some terms have negative connotations, such as sissy or retard, and most people are wise enough not to use them as an obvious attempt to belittle and insult the recipient. The examples are endless... Athletes are fined for such things it's so out of favor to throw about slurs.

Clearly, a few of MFP's finest are in the first category that doesn't think your words try to impact the recipient. You're just blindly flailing them around and like to believe your words have no impact. You can absolutely stay in a naive bubble where you claim "I didn't mean anything by it." You think calling it a "girl pushup" isn't belittling. So knock yourself out... call it whatever you want. People have the free-will to respond accordingly and may think you're ignorant, but hey... joy of free speech.

I like to think words are powerful. They can teach, communicate attitudes, inspire or diminish, words can move your damn soul. I will grant you that some take political correctness WAY too far... from banned books, to opposition to Secretary's Day. It does get out of hand. Some of you clearly think "girl pushups" is just fine and not at all diminishing the recipient of that comment. I tend to disagree. But to each their own.

I link this article as reference and to point out this is not an attack on anyone (although I have no doubt it will be reported). http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/03/there-is-outrage-but-tea-party-hispanics-silent-over-racial-slur/

^ I agree with this. I will add that when it's adults trash talking one another it's one thing. I'm all for trash talk. When it is a TEACHER referring to them as "girl push ups" in front of LITTLE GIRLS it is sure to have an impact and that impact is most certainly not positive.