Options

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    girl pushups --> tumblr_mb8l7vsNuo1ro3593o1_500.gif
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    This is such a non-issue to me. I have two daughters who are both in excellent physical shape. One of them lifts 100+ pound dancers over her head. The other one goes to the gym twice a week and does cardio and "girl push-ups". They are both strong amazing young women who are at the level of fitness that is right for them. Neither of them would be this easily offended.

I'm a girl who's done knee push-ups, "real" push-ups, heavy chest presses and even wall push-ups depending on my ability. It's all good. Generally speaking, men have more upper body strength than women so they might possibly be able to start at a different level. I would personally rather focus on confidence and strengths with my children, rather than getting upset about a teacher's semantics.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I'm not the type of person you would deem politically correct. I'm really not the type of person you should put on speaker phone. I'm still going to say this: If you feel the need to diminish women and reinforce gender roles by labeling a modified push-up a "girl push-up", you're probably as obtuse and insecure as men come.

We've heard your broscience, now here's your ball, Moose.

QGVhFVd.gif
  • _firecracker_
    _firecracker_ Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm warmed up...
    Totally agree with the OP and the rational ones in this thread...scary some of the ones I'm referring to as rational :P (kidding before panties, thongs, boxers etc get wadded.)

The discussion has nothing to do with obese children or adults for that matter not being able to do push ups moose. It's the implication and sexism by associating the modified push-up version to the female sex. Obviously it's more of a measurement of fitness capabilities across the board. By referring to modified (and why is this only in push ups? But thankfully so and not ALL modified moves) push-ups as "girl" ones, 2 things are done: encouraging boys/men to feel inadequate if they need to start with the modified version as well as mocking by peers, AND discouraging the realization that a woman can do just about anything a man can do...and sometimes better.

But nothing new being said here.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    girl pushups --> tumblr_mb8l7vsNuo1ro3593o1_500.gif

Color me impressed! I'd end up on my face. For sure.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    More politically correct crap it appears. Who cares that he called them girl push ups? They have been called that for 100 years. Most girls that age aren't strong enough to do regular push ups.

Wrong.

Most elementary age girls are strong enough to do a regular push-up. They're just told they aren't and believe that nonsense and never even try.

Telling a kid he or she isn't strong enough to do something before that kid even tries is crap.

Things must have changed in the last 17 or 18 years since I was in school because a lot of the girls then couldn't do girl push ups.

I had a slumber party for my elementary aged girl not that long ago with several girls from her class.

Number of girls who knew they could do regular push-ups: 1
    Number of girls who LEARNED they could do regular push-ups: 6
    Number of girls who couldn't do at least 2: 0

Maybe you're just weak.

I am weak because I am a 27 year old man and claim that most school age girls couldn't do a standard push up and even sometimes girl push ups when I was in school? That makes perfect sense.

Why would you pay so much attention to what the girls could do instead of worrying about what you could do, so much so that 17 or 18 years later, you still remember it so well?

That's a lot of paying attention to how strong little girls are for someone who wasn't a little girl.

Well we all had PE together and back inthose days we tracked how many we could do, how long it took etc and had some competition. Not hard to read that little chart.

And to remember 17 or 18 years later because you were so concerned with what the little girls could do on that little chart?

No, it's okay. Keep typing. It's precious.

I have to be concerned about something to have a memory? I wasn't "concerned" about doing math either but I can still remember how to do that.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm not the type of person you would deem politically correct. I'm really not the type of person you should put on speaker phone. I'm still going to say this: If you feel the need to diminish women and reinforce gender roles by labeling a modified push-up a "girl push-up", you're probably as obtuse and insecure as men come.

QGVhFVd.gif

No one wants to reinforce gender roles until it's time to reach for the check at dinner. Then we'll see how dug in those gender roles are.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Well then I must be doing "girl" pushups daily, although I thought for sure i was just doing pushups!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm warmed up...
    Totally agree with the OP and the rational ones in this thread...scary some of the ones I'm referring to as rational :P (kidding before panties, thongs, boxers etc get wadded.)

The discussion has nothing to do with obese children or adults for that matter not being able to do push ups moose. It's the implication and sexism by associating the modified push-up version to the female sex. Obviously it's more of a measurement of fitness capabilities across the board. By referring to modified (and why is this only in push ups? But thankfully so and not ALL modified moves) push-ups as "girl" ones, 2 things are done: encouraging boys/men to feel inadequate if they need to start with the modified version as well as mocking by peers, AND discouraging the realization that a woman can do just about anything a man can do...and sometimes better.

But nothing new being said here.

I actually disagree on the last point above. My view though is that we should be pushing the boys to be stronger rather than expecting the girls to be weak. And yes, obviously some women are stronger than some men, but forgetting the physical differences is a mistake. Just my opinion.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    More politically correct crap it appears. Who cares that he called them girl push ups? They have been called that for 100 years. Most girls that age aren't strong enough to do regular push ups.

Wrong.

Most elementary age girls are strong enough to do a regular push-up. They're just told they aren't and believe that nonsense and never even try.

Telling a kid he or she isn't strong enough to do something before that kid even tries is crap.

Things must have changed in the last 17 or 18 years since I was in school because a lot of the girls then couldn't do girl push ups.

My 8 year old daughter knocks real ones out all the time. Then she works the heavy bag with me, and barbell squats with her mom.

Of course, she also goes "oh dad" and punches me when I refer to the modified version as "girl push-ups" . . .

your daughter is obviously the standard in school age children, not the actual figures which are 1/3 fall into the overweight or obese category.
    Perhaps if they were encouraged to try a regular pushup instead of told they can't do them, they wouldn't be obese.

Riiiiiggggghhhtttt, girls doing girl push ups VS standard push ups is what is causing the obesity epidemic in America. I would go to DC with that idea.

You're the one that brought up the obesity non sequitur. I'm really not sure what that has to do with girls and push-ups.

Most obese people can't do push ups. 1/3 of school age children are overweight-obese. Obviously your daughter isn't and is athletic/strong, she is not the "standard" for that age but rather an outlier, which is a good thing. Shall I draw a picture?

Please do because I'm confused how obesity separates the girls from the boys. Frankly, I remember that the fat boy in my elementary school class (we only had one) couldn't do any push ups and at least a few of the girls could. So, again, non sequitur . . .

A few of the girls could = most couldn't, hence the reason for girl push ups. Not a hard concept.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Wrong.

My 8 year old daughter knocks real ones out all the time. Then she works the heavy bag with me, and barbell squats with her mom.

Of course, she also goes "oh dad" and punches me when I refer to the modified version as "girl push-ups" . . .

your daughter is obviously the standard in school age children, not the actual figures which are 1/3 fall into the overweight or obese category.
    Perhaps if they were encouraged to try a regular pushup instead of told they can't do them, they wouldn't be obese.

Riiiiiggggghhhtttt, girls doing girl push ups VS standard push ups is what is causing the obesity epidemic in America. I would go to DC with that idea.

You're the one that brought up the obesity non sequitur. I'm really not sure what that has to do with girls and push-ups.

Most obese people can't do push ups. 1/3 of school age children are overweight-obese. Obviously your daughter isn't and is athletic/strong, she is not the "standard" for that age but rather an outlier, which is a good thing. Shall I draw a picture?

Please do because I'm confused how obesity separates the girls from the boys. Frankly, I remember that the fat boy in my elementary school class (we only had one) couldn't do any push ups and at least a few of the girls could. So, again, non sequitur . . .

A few of the girls could = most couldn't, hence the reason for girl push ups. Not a hard concept.

But none of the overweight kids could. Maybe a different and more accurate name is warranted . . .
  • KrazyDaizy
    KrazyDaizy Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    shock.gif

OMG, this thread made me realize that I now think I am a man since I can do push-ups without the knee action.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

Quote me where I said they shouldn't be able to TRY to do regular push ups. I'll wait. Some girls can do standard and if they can then they should instead of doing girl push ups. If they can't then they should do girl push ups, same thing for boys who can't do standard. They are still called girl push ups though.

By calling them girl pushups there is an implication that a) that is the way girls should do them and b) that any boys who have to do them that way are girlish. This implication leads girls to believe that they cannot/should not perform them in the way that the boys are automatically being taught to do them.

Exactly.

It's like taking a modified English class with short, high-interest reading for low-ability readers and calling it 'boy English' instead of calling it 'modified English'. Doing the first would send the message that they're not EXPECTED to read real books and that's all boys are capable of, and furthermore that any boy in the regular English class isn't really a boy. Doing the second would send the message that they're supposed to work their way out into the regular classes.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    This is such a non-issue to me. I have two daughters who are both in excellent physical shape. One of them lifts 100+ pound dancers over her head. The other one goes to the gym twice a week and does cardio and "girl push-ups". They are both strong amazing young women who are at the level of fitness that is right for them. Neither of them would be this easily offended.

I'm a girl who's done knee push-ups, "real" push-ups, heavy chest presses and even wall push-ups depending on my ability. It's all good. Generally speaking, men have more upper body strength than women so they might possibly be able to start at a different level. I would personally rather focus on confidence and strengths with my children, rather than getting upset about a teacher's semantics.

No way, gots to complain about the term "girl push ups" It's what is casuing childhood obesity among girls.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    No one wants to reinforce gender roles until it's time to reach for the check at dinner. Then we'll see how dug in those gender roles are.

This is the third fervently misogynistic post I've read of yours. What I said in my post about insecure and obtuse men? Really applies to you.

As far as the tab goes, I like to alternate picking it up because it can be a bit tedious to do all the math for the bill plus tip. I have a habit of trying to negotiate paying for more expensive meals, not because I'm rolling in it, but because I can and it's just a nice thing to do.
  • moosegt35
    Options

QGVhFVd.gif

No one has " diminished women and reinforced gender roles by labeling a modified push-up a "girl push-up", they have been called this for 100 years and some way some how girls still manage to do regular ones when they are strong enough. It's crazy.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

QGVhFVd.gif

This thread has very little to do with gender roles. It's really a question of whether girls can, and/or should be encouraged to do regular push ups. Pushing girls to step up when it comes to strength and athletics shouldn't really be a threat to a strong man.
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options

QGVhFVd.gif

This thread has very little to do with gender roles. It's really a question of whether girls can, and/or should be encouraged to do regular push ups. Pushing girls to step up when it comes to strength and athletics shouldn't really be a threat to a strong man.

QFT
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

QGVhFVd.gif

You said it better than I could.

But I don't know many strong men who would be so "not" concerned about what little girls could or couldn't do in gym class 17 years ago to get online and argue about it.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    You would go talk to the teacher about this, really?
    Its just what they are called, doesn't mean boys can't do girl push ups, or girls can't do real push ups. They were called girl push ups when I was at school to, and it hasn't lead to a life of me or anyone else I know of thinking that's all im allowed to do and i'm physically inferior.