"Girl" Pushups????

Options

Replies

• somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Each to their own, I have three girls. I do the regular push ups and I have one daughter that does them also. The other two do the girl push ups. At least they're getting exercise IMHO. Whatever helps them get out there and exercise, I'm all for, even if they do girl pushups.

But why teach girls that that's the way they're supposed to do it? I had to do those when I first started, but because I was weak...not because I was a girl and that's the way we have to do it...

+1

I object to the term "girl pushups" in general.

Meh, I don't like that they call inverted rows "fat man pull ups" but it happens. We all need something to be overly sensitive about I guess.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I think maybe instead of "girl" they should go with "modified." Because, firstly, you don't want a girl thinking she can't do the other style, nor do you want to restrict boys from using modified pushups, it should be seen as a stepping stone to the full pushup. Secondly, it sets up using the term "girl" to mean "lesser."

Sory - I must interject - There are actually 3 types of push ups

1) Normal
    2) Modified
    3) Chuck Norris style - he does Earth Downs

2zf69nb.jpg
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm not allowed to do those, my trainer won't let me!! he has me working like a man!! Dammit, my breasts are shrinking!!
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options

Seriously. As the OP, I would like to say, it was a joke. We all knew it was a joke. Get your boy shorts (cause supposedly the term panty is offensive :wink: out of the aforementioned wad. Thank you and have a nice day.

#LongLiveHomer!!!!!!

When did panties become offensive!? I hate this website sometimes! If it's not period blood talk, it's words like panties that are taboo!

Panties! Panties! Panties!

tumblr_md1cch74Sh1qktqch.gif
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Seriously. As the OP, I would like to say, it was a joke. We all knew it was a joke. Get your boy shorts (cause supposedly the term panty is offensive :wink: out of the aforementioned wad. Thank you and have a nice day.

#LongLiveHomer!!!!!!

When did panties become offensive!? I hate this website sometimes! If it's not period blood talk, it's words like panties that are taboo!

funny_puritanism_description_postcards-r0895d2d1a4b94cad9338458c86e7c8da_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Eh, I say girl pushups too. I don't get too worried about the terminology.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options

#LongLiveHomer!!!!!!

Panties! Panties! Panties!

tumblr_md1cch74Sh1qktqch.gif

Underpants!

I need to watch Chobits again.
  • happysummerrunner
    happysummerrunner Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with being taught both forms (some of the kids may not be strong enough to a regular push up) but I would definitely ask the teachers to refer to the other form as a MODIFIED push up. I mean, what if there is a boy who is too weak to do the regular one? Should he be shamed by having to do a "Girl" push up. Aside from that we shouldn't teach girls that they are weaker and incapable.

I would just approach the teacher calmly about the subject and ask that they refer to it as a modified push up in order to not establish gender rules.

Agree
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Each to their own, I have three girls. I do the regular push ups and I have one daughter that does them also. The other two do the girl push ups. At least they're getting exercise IMHO. Whatever helps them get out there and exercise, I'm all for, even if they do girl pushups.

But why teach girls that that's the way they're supposed to do it? I had to do those when I first started, but because I was weak...not because I was a girl and that's the way we have to do it...

THIS! If you physically don't have the strength to do a regular pushup, the ones on your knees are a good starting point. But there is NO REASON a woman can't do a regular pushup once she builds that strength. And if she starts in elementary school, chances are, she'll never have to do the knees.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The trainers I know call them training or half pushups. Utilize the knees until the strength is there for a full pushup - they apply this to everyone. See if they can do a full pushup, then if they cannot, they have the utilize half pushups
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I'd show her how to do regular push ups (or ones on her thumbs/one legged or something) and tell her those were "Girl" push ups. :laugh:
  • KapuaK
    KapuaK Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    There are many variations for the push up. I just wrote on this earlier...I did 33 "girl' pushups...do they exist? NOT REALLY..what does exist is an alternate push up for those who aren't strong enough YET to do a traditional push up.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    More politically correct crap it appears. Who cares that he called them girl push ups? They have been called that for 100 years. Most girls that age aren't strong enough to do regular push ups.
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    My daughter was a gymnast. When she was about 15, she was dating a boy and they were watching someone on TV doing pushups with someone on their back. He said, "let me try that" so she said ok and he was able to do about one or two with her sitting on him. Then she said, "let me try" and knocked off 20 with him on her back - like it was nothing. Girl pushups, indeed….:happy:
    As a father of 3 daughters...I LOVE this! :)
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    More politically correct crap it appears. Who cares that he called them girl push ups? They have been called that for 100 years. Most girls that age aren't strong enough to do regular push ups.

Wrong.

Most elementary age girls are strong enough to do a regular push-up. They're just told they aren't and believe that nonsense and never even try.

Telling a kid he or she isn't strong enough to do something before that kid even tries is crap.
  • moosegt35
    Options

Wrong.

Most elementary age girls are strong enough to do a regular push-up. They're just told they aren't and believe that nonsense and never even try.

Telling a kid he or she isn't strong enough to do something before that kid even tries is crap.

Things must have changed in the last 17 or 18 years since I was in school because a lot of the girls then couldn't do girl push ups.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options

Should we just go back to having slaves and only allowing land owners to vote? I mean, it worked that way for such a long time, it couldn't have been wrong! :huh:
  • moosegt35
    Options

Should we just go back to having slaves and only allowing land owners to vote? I mean, it worked that way for such a long time, it couldn't have been wrong! :huh:

Did you just compare slavery to calling a push up on your knees a girl push up? LOL. Feminists crack me up. Should we not call women's restrooms women's restrooms? I mean technically women CAN use the men's restroom.
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options

It's not politically correct crap. I, as a parent, don't want someone pigeonholing my daughter and telling her that she can only do certain things or do things certain ways, simply because she is a girl.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Wrong.

Things must have changed in the last 17 or 18 years since I was in school because a lot of the girls then couldn't do girl push ups.

My 8 year old daughter knocks real ones out all the time. Then she works the heavy bag with me, and barbell squats with her mom.

Of course, she also goes "oh dad" and punches me when I refer to the modified version as "girl push-ups" . . .