"Girl" Pushups????

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The teacher said boys and girls do different kinds of pushups. Whatever she called them, that is wrong and offensive. And I'm not easily offended.

I started kindergarten in 1982 and graduated high school in 1995. Every year during that time, we did the Presidential Physical Fitness Test. To pass it, even in 1982, the girls had to be able to do a certain number of regular pushups. The girls by and large managed to pass every year.

Moose up there must have just known the really weak girls.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Girls are so touchy. I knew letting them vote would do this.

Women can vote???!!!!!!

Well, somebody has been lying to me. :grumble:
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    No, it's not just what they're called. They're called modified push ups or knee push ups; maybe even half push ups. This is only half of the issue though.
    They are known by all of those names, and also girl push ups. Just the fact that everyone in this thread immediately knew what a girl push up is without having to be told shows that.

Some people believe that the word "wetback" is acceptable when referring to a Hispanic person because everyone knows what you're talking about. Some terms have negative connotations, such as sissy or retard, and most people are wise enough not to use them as an obvious attempt to belittle and insult the recipient. The examples are endless... Athletes are fined for such things it's so out of favor to throw about slurs.

Clearly, a few of MFP's finest are in the first category that doesn't think your words try to impact the recipient. You're just blindly flailing them around and believe your words have no impact. You can absolutely stay in a bubble where you claim "I didn't mean anything by it." You think calling it a "girl pushup" isn't belittling. So knock yourself out... call it whatever you want. People have the free-will to respond accordingly and may think you're ignorant, but hey... joy of free speech.

I like to think words are powerful. They can teach, communicate attitudes, inspire or diminish, words can move your damn soul. I will grant you that some take political correctness WAY too far... from banned books, to opposition to Secretary's Day. It does get out of hand. Some of you clearly think "girl pushups" is just fine and not at all diminishing the recipient of that comment. I tend to disagree. But to each their own.

I link this article as reference and to point out this is not an attack on anyone (although I have no doubt it will be reported). http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/03/there-is-outrage-but-tea-party-hispanics-silent-over-racial-slur/

My friends are amazing. Just saying. :flowerforyou:
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    LOL

Odusgolp, in my opinion, racist comments and "girls push ups" are two completely different things. I wholeheartedly believe that this term has zero negative effects, since again, as mentioned I suffered no effects from it, neither did anyone else I know, and even the people arguing the offensive side on here haven't mentioned knowing anyone effected, or come up with any studies, or said anything else that would let me to believe this is even remotely potentially harmful that I have seen.
    If people think me ignorant for that then so be it, I may think they are ignorant also. Living in a world where everyone has different opinions that happens sometimes.

Anyhow, I think I have argued the same thing enough now, so unless I see an interesting new point to respond to, I will step out now :)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

We should totally go kick our great grandfathers' graves, right? :grumble:
  • some_betty
    some_betty Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    No, it's not just what they're called. They're called modified push ups or knee push ups; maybe even half push ups. This is only half of the issue though.
    They are known by all of those names, and also girl push ups. Just the fact that everyone in this thread immediately knew what a girl push up is without having to be told shows that.

Some people believe that the word "wetback" is acceptable when referring to a Hispanic person because everyone knows what you're talking about. Some terms have negative connotations, such as sissy or retard, and most people are wise enough not to use them as an obvious attempt to belittle and insult the recipient. The examples are endless... Athletes are fined for such things it's so out of favor to throw about slurs.

Clearly, a few of MFP's finest are in the first category that doesn't think your words try to impact the recipient. You're just blindly flailing them around and believe your words have no impact. You can absolutely stay in a bubble where you claim "I didn't mean anything by it." You think calling it a "girl pushup" isn't belittling. So knock yourself out... call it whatever you want. People have the free-will to respond accordingly and may think you're ignorant, but hey... joy of free speech.

I like to think words are powerful. They can teach, communicate attitudes, inspire or diminish, words can move your damn soul. I will grant you that some take political correctness WAY too far... from banned books, to opposition to Secretary's Day. It does get out of hand. Some of you clearly think "girl pushups" is just fine and not at all diminishing the recipient of that comment. I tend to disagree. But to each their own.

I link this article as reference and to point out this is not an attack on anyone (although I have no doubt it will be reported). http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/03/there-is-outrage-but-tea-party-hispanics-silent-over-racial-slur/

Obviously, some Hispanics are unaffected by the term "wetback". lol
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Do those include 6-10 year old Hispanics?
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    This is why women shouldn't leave the kitchen
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Clearly, a few of MFP's finest are in the first category that doesn't think your words try to impact the recipient. You're just blindly flailing them around and like to believe your words have no impact. You can absolutely stay in a naive bubble where you claim "I didn't mean anything by it." You think calling it a "girl pushup" isn't belittling. So knock yourself out... call it whatever you want. People have the free-will to respond accordingly and may think you're ignorant, but hey... joy of free speech.

^ I agree with this. I will add that when it's adults trash talking one another it's one thing. I'm all for trash talk. When it is a TEACHER referring to them as "girl push ups" in front of LITTLE GIRLS it is sure to have an impact and that impact is most certainly not positive.

Yup. If I'm playing softball with other adults and my husband tells a male friend that he's throwing like a little girl, IDGAF. But if I'm watching my 4 year old play boys and girls T-ball and the coach tells one of her male teammates that he's throwing like a little girl, that's a problem. She's 4 and believes that aside from peeing standing up, she can do anything that boys can do, just as well, and maybe better. They're just other kids to her. Until someone comes along and uses terms like girl push ups and throws like a girl, and then a light bulb goes off b/c she was just taught that girls are lesser than.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    To be clear on where I am on this...

I am not a fan of PC in general. I think the energy spent trying to be PC in everything is grossly inefficient and ridiculously ineffective.

However, the issue of using gender to describe a modification of an exercise is ridiculous...*regardless* of how commonplace the term has been. (Fortunately, banded/assisted pullups are known as banded/assisted pullups and not "girl pullups".)

Do people know what you mean by the phrase "girl pushup"? Absolutely...but as a father of a daughter, I don't like the message it sends to her. And if a boy lacks the necessary strength to do a regular pushup, then he shouldn't feel like he's denying his gender to do a modified/knees pushup. It's just a completely unnecessary label IMHO.

That said, I don't find it so egregious that I'm going to make it my calling in life to seek out those who use the term and lecture them on it. *shrug*
  • pjb58
    pjb58 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    For some of us, who are not so young anymore, we were taught the girl push-ups with knees bent.
    I, too, do push-ups like the guys in the gym. However there really is (or was) a "girl push-up".
    Sounds like your daughter's teacher is "old-school".
  • calibriintx
    Options

My husband bought me a laptop for the kitchen so I can MFP between making sammiches.:love:
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options

Do those include 6-10 year old Hispanics?

I prefer Beaner. Well I guess half beaner to be politically correct.
  • calibriintx
    Options

I am not a fan of PC in general. I think the energy spent trying to be PC in everything is grossly inefficient and ridiculously ineffective.

However, the issue of using gender to describe a modification of an exercise is ridiculous...*regardless* of how commonplace the term has been. (Fortunately, banded/assisted pullups are known as banded/assisted pullups and not "girl pullups".)

Do people know what you mean by the phrase "girl pushup"? Absolutely...but as a father of a daughter, I don't like the message it sends to her. And if a boy lacks the necessary strength to do a regular pushup, then he shouldn't feel like he's denying his gender to do a modified/knees pushup. It's just a completely unnecessary label IMHO.

That said, I don't find it so egregious that I'm going to make it my calling in life to seek out those who use the term and lecture them on it. *shrug*

For sure. I love that rather than going down there and ranting at the teacher, the OP told her daughter to let the teacher know that she will be doing the same push ups as the boys.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

I don't think most of the people in this thread are far off from this very moderate position. Even the OP said that she wasn't planning to go argue with the teacher about it. I just think girls who want to be athletic have enough to deal with in classes full of boys.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options

My husband bought me a laptop for the kitchen so I can MFP between making sammiches.:love:

That's love.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    OP, you overreacted. The teacher was trying to be accommodating. Sick of the hidden agendas.
  • 80sFanatic88
    80sFanatic88 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hey, you don't know how happy I was when I found out there were special push ups for girls! They're so much better!
  • calibriintx
    Options
    There's another reason I'd prefer that people not teach my kid about "girl" push ups opposed to modified or any other term not associated with gender. I don't want her learning that being a girl is an excuse to do less. Having a vagina isn't a handicap.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Yeah... this.

I really want some flautas now, damnit.