"Girl" Pushups????

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    OP, you overreacted. The teacher was trying to be accommodating. Sick of the hidden agendas.

You mean the hidden agenda of the teacher? Because the agenda in this thread is pretty transparent.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    OP, you overreacted. The teacher was trying to be accommodating. Sick of the hidden agendas.

Wait, what?

At the end of the day, all she did was tell her daughter to do regular pushups instead of modified pushups. I would tell my daughter the same thing...well, *almost* the same thing. I would tell my daughter to do the version of pushups *she* wanted to do and not to feel like she didn't have a choice...and I would probably use the opportunity to have a discussion with her about expectations, physiology, etc.

My only agenda is in raising my daughter to be an independent-thinking adult who is able to function within the system while being keenly aware of it...and if she *chooses* to rage against it and try to effect change, I will support that too.

ETA: TL;DR - I think OP handled the situation admirably. Now had she marched into the school and demanded the teacher be reprimanded/fired or organized a protest, then yeah, I might agree with you.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Yup. If I'm playing softball with other adults and my husband tells a male friend that he's throwing like a little girl, IDGAF. But if I'm watching my 4 year old play boys and girls T-ball and the coach tells one of her male teammates that he's throwing like a little girl, that's a problem. She's 4 and believes that aside from peeing standing up, she can do anything that boys can do, just as well, and maybe better. They're just other kids to her. Until someone comes along and uses terms like girl push ups and throws like a girl, and then a light bulb goes off b/c she was just taught that girls are lesser than.

Agreed... when it comes to an adult friend, well, mockery and sarcasm are just FUN! LOL
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    To be clear on where I am on this...

I am not a fan of PC in general. I think the energy spent trying to be PC in everything is grossly inefficient and ridiculously ineffective.

However, the issue of using gender to describe a modification of an exercise is ridiculous...*regardless* of how commonplace the term has been. (Fortunately, banded/assisted pullups are known as banded/assisted pullups and not "girl pullups".)

Do people know what you mean by the phrase "girl pushup"? Absolutely...but as a father of a daughter, I don't like the message it sends to her. And if a boy lacks the necessary strength to do a regular pushup, then he shouldn't feel like he's denying his gender to do a modified/knees pushup. It's just a completely unnecessary label IMHO.

That said, I don't find it so egregious that I'm going to make it my calling in life to seek out those who use the term and lecture them on it. *shrug*

:flowerforyou:
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Yep, in reality I've got a pretty moderate opinion as well. Not out to make anyone call them girl push ups, I just don't understand the hoohaa about the term
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I was gonna comment but then I heard you weren't allowed to be funny, and there was math...so...

peace-i-m-out.gif

cracked me up !
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Yep, in reality I've got a pretty moderate opinion as well. Not out to make anyone call them girl push ups, I just don't understand the hoohaa about the term

MULTIPLE CHOICE RESPONSE:

1)
    Speaking of terms...

...that isn't the definition I've been using for that word.

<or>

Yep, in reality I've got a pretty moderate opinion as well. Not out to make anyone call them girl push ups, I just don't understand the hoohaa.
    FIFY.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Speaking of terms...

Me neither. .. *clenches*
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Wait, what?

At the end of the day, all she did was tell her daughter to do regular pushups instead of modified pushups. I would tell my daughter the same thing...well, *almost* the same thing. I would tell my daughter to do the version of pushups *she* wanted to do and not to feel like she didn't have a choice...and I would probably use the opportunity to have a discussion with her about expectations, physiology, etc.

My only agenda is in raising my daughter to be an independent-thinking adult who is able to function within the system while being keenly aware of it...and if she *chooses* to rage against it and try to effect change, I will support that too.

ETA: TL;DR - I think OP handled the situation admirably. Now had she marched into the school and demanded the teacher be reprimanded/fired or organized a protest, then yeah, I might agree with you.

:drinker:
  • obsidianwings
    Options

Speaking of terms...

LOL I suppose I could word that better. Except now I'm trying to word it better the only word i can think of is uproar and that seems a little harsh
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Speaking of terms...

LOL I suppose I could word that better. Except now I'm trying to word it better the only word i can think of is uproar and that seems a little harsh

(I believe the word you're looking for is "brouhaha"...

...but too late because I've already quoted you and made not one, but TWO jokes about it.)
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options

Wait, what?

Good post. I think I was mistaken.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Don't worry I don't need to edit anyway as that's not the word I was looking for :P I did indeed mean to say hoohaa, but wasn't thinking what that was slang for elsewhere
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Don't worry I don't need to edit anyway as that's not the word I was looking for :P I did indeed mean to say hoohaa, but wasn't thinking what that was slang for elsewhere

See. You really can say a lot more than you meant to say when you use slang.:wink::laugh: My grandma always called it hoopla.
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options

Wait, what?

Good post. I think I was mistaken.

Couldn't have said it better myself...and glad Norm agrees. :flowerforyou:
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    A girl pushup is when you have to go on your knees
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options

Wait, what?

Just wanted to add: I actually agree with you, jof, that this is a good opportunity to have that kind of discussion. That being said, my daughter is only 7 and I'm not sure she would have grasped what I was trying to teach her on this one yet. BUT...you are probably right that I should have told her she could do whichever she likes. My main thought was that I would rather she TRY the full way and learn the modified way IF she can't do it...otherwise, she tends to choose the path of least resistance...or least effort.
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school, they had the whole school do the president's test to see how fit our age group was. For the pushup test, girls were considered "fit" if they could do at least 10 "girl" pushups.

My track coach told us that if she caught any of us doing "girl" pushups, she'd run us forever.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school, they had the whole school do the president's test to see how fit our age group was. For the pushup test, girls were considered "fit" if they could do at least 10 "girl" pushups.

My track coach told us that if she caught any of us doing "girl" pushups, she'd run us forever.

Good coach. :drinker:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Speaking of terms...

(I believe the word you're looking for is "brouhaha"...

...but too late because I've already quoted you and made not one, but TWO jokes about it.)
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: