My Experience with Raw Vegan 80/10/10 Challenge Month

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Find me one who logged 10,000 cycling miles for 2013 with detailed lab/blood work and let's compare scientific data.
    How does, "lacks the imagination to find something more worthwhile to spend their time on," have anything to do with it?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Find me one who logged 10,000 cycling miles for 2013 with detailed lab/blood work and let's compare scientific data.
    How does, "lacks the imagination to find something more worthwhile to spend their time on," have anything to do with it?

I'll take TdF competitors for 500 . . .
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm always fascinated by all the different claims for different ways of eating.
    I've been following a modified nutritarian plan for the past month. And here is what I've been finding:
    1. Commercially raised meats are hideous. You can feel all the growth hormones. Organic meats play far less havoc with one's digestion and one's frame of mind.
    2. I tried eating some pierogi from a bag over the weekend. Not only did I feel hungrier AFTER the food, it set me up for a huge sweets binge.
    3. I have tried baking my own breads and rolls, No preservatives or chemicals - just the basics. Eating them within moderation (1-2 rolls a day) did not play havoc with my brain or body, and I continued to lose weight. (20 lb and counting)

The most important conclusion: take the time to listen to your body. It will tell you the best way to eat for optimum functionality. There was a great article in the New York Times recently by Mark Bittman called "Butter is Back" about eating real food, based on the recent research showing that denying the body fat, and eating fat substitutes, is actually worse for you. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/26/opinion/bittman-butter-is-back.html

Yes it is more difficult and more expensive to buy organic. it also takes more thought and mental energy to eat fruit and vegetables rather than meats. But your body and brain will thank you.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I'm always fascinated by all the different claims for different ways of eating.
    I've been following a modified nutritarian plan for the past month. And here is what I've been finding:
    1. Commercially raised meats are hideous. You can feel all the growth hormones. Organic meats play far less havoc with one's digestion and one's frame of mind.
    2. I tried eating some pierogi from a bag over the weekend. Not only did I feel hungrier AFTER the food, it set me up for a huge sweets binge.
    3. I have tried baking my own breads and rolls, No preservatives or chemicals - just the basics. Eating them within moderation (1-2 rolls a day) did not play havoc with my brain or body, and I continued to lose weight. (20 lb and counting)

The most important conclusion: take the time to learn about the placebo effect.
    Fixed it for you.
  • shortt123
    shortt123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Nutritarian diet?! Ah so have you read 'Eat to live'? By Dr. fuhrman? I haven't read the entire boom yet but he advises a nutritarian diet, very very interesting research findings from this doctor. Majority of the diet is vegetables,fruit, & then some legumes, nuts & good fats. Oh and soy too! Which I was happy to read bc soy milk is the only milk that agrees w me.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see an 80 year old here on MFP that eats either meat, dairy or eggs and is as healthy as T. Colin Campbell the author of "The China Study.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see an 80 year old here on MFP that eats either meat, dairy or eggs and is as healthy as T. Colin Campbell the author of "The China Study.

My great grandmother is 107, eats all of that and drives herself to the hair salon every Sunday, yay GENETICS.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

T. Colin Campbell is on MFP?!? That's awesome! I have some questions for him.

(Oh, he isn't? I guess I'll make a similarly flawed assertion then...)

I'd like to see an 80 year old here on MFP that eats this raw vegan 80/10/10 diet and is as healthy as my 91 year old grandmother.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I'd like to see an 80 year old here on MFP that eats this raw vegan 80/10/10 diet and is as healthy as my 91 year old grandmother.

I have a feeling that when your grandmother gets ready to shuffle off this mortal coil, she won't be thinking, "I sure wish I had spent less time eating dairy, meat and eggs, and more time on a bicycle."

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Can you have mashed potatoes on 80/10/10?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Sorry. I stopped reading at "The China Study or documentaries like Morgan Spurlock’s “Super Size Me” is enough for me to know ..."

I am astounded that people continue to draw causation conclusions from either of those works of art.

Since you had "whey protein and Hershey's chocolate syrup" for breakfast can't say I am surprised either...

That whey protein is a killer, isn't it? And did you notice the quantity of Hershey's chocolate-flavored syrup? Think the dose is sufficiently high enough to diminish my health in any way? Or do you even consider dose in your determination?

One of my favorite parts about MFP are the "righteous" eaters with closed food diaries.

Second to that are those with an open diary, but an excuse for their "transgressions".

Food diary still closed? That's too bad. I'm sure there is a lot we could learn from it.

For example, I bet it's mostly potatoes.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Yes.

What about sweet potatoes?
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    sorry if this has already been mentioned but i was too lazy to read through the 7 pages but maybe try raw till 4 approach to 80/10/10? then you get your fruit and your warm bowl of chill in the evening!
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Yes.

How about boiled potatoes?
  • Rocbola
    Options
    Yes.

How about boiled potatoes?
    Yep.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    Yes.

Absolutely.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

did you not see those fruitarians that ran a marathon every day in australia?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Absolutely.

Can you have vodka?
  • _xobabydoll
    _xobabydoll Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    lol this had me dying! corn as a bookmark!