How much do you tip your dentist?

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Lots of jealousy of people who mad e a good career choice and completed some very tough schooling to have a career.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    You aren't kidding. Mine is helping his kid thru dental school and says it's brutal compared to when he went. My dentist actually has better hours than most. I just wish i didn't have teeth issues on his days off lol
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Troll post, but I'll add something cause I'm bored. I give him some bits of string as a tip. My dentist loves bits of string.

Is your dentist a cat? Meh, nevermind it doesn't matter, I'm going to assume he is a cat. Its cuter that way!
  • brewji
    brewji Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada...dental benefits! :D
  • CometMeebru
    CometMeebru Posts: 122
    Options

Unless you have insurance or you're on welfare, you dont get 'dental benefits' its not covered under any provincial health plan.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    acc5c7bbbbf63b767defafc5845be47d1399590a792bb015739cbb59da871bac.jpg
  • brewji
    brewji Posts: 752 Member
    Options

Unless you have insurance or you're on welfare, you dont get 'dental benefits' its not covered under any provincial health plan.

My employer pays for it is what I meant. It's just included as part of my deal :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

My employer pays for it is what I meant. It's just included as part of my deal :)

So the part about Canada was irrelevant. :flowerforyou:

I pay for my own dental, about $25 a month. No biggie.
  • Perplexities
    Perplexities Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    So you're telling me all this time I've was suppose to be tipping my dentist?

Yes, 15-25% of whatever you pay on the day of the visit. (I do 25%.)
  • Perplexities
    Options
    You call Italy a non western country...

I smell a troll, but keep on rolling and trolling

First rule of trolling, never tell you are trolling even if exposed as a troll

You got it wrong again--bliss is you.
    I thought he meant The US originally.
    They don't even tip waitresses in Italy, so not surprised by that at all.
    That doesn't change the fact that in the US, it is expected that you tip your Dentist.

Ignorance is bliss. Yes we tip waitresses in Italy---just less because THE TIP IS ALREADY INCLUDED in your bill--got it?

Really? You don't sound very blissful.

You got it wrong again--bliss is you.

I sense a great deal of bliss emanating from you after your last few posts.

Maybe you're right about the whole "ignorance is bliss," after all.

My apologies.

Apology accepted, and looked at your profile--explains everything--you're only 20 yrs old. My youngest son is 20.

What are you even implying?
    Is it That only younger people tip their dentists?

I can assure you there's older people who are equally as courteous as younger individuals, evidently you aren't one of them.

My Fiancee is an MD, and for her at least it's usually the younger people who don't tip, most of the older ones have learned that you're supposed to tip your healthcare professionals.

Maybe you're a slow learner?
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    What? Am I supposed to tip my dentist? Even if I am supposed to - I don't think I'm gonna....
  • Perplexities
    Options
    What? Am I supposed to tip my dentist? Even if I am supposed to - I don't think I'm gonna....

Yes, 15-25% of whatever you pay on the day of your visit, (I usually do 25%.) I'll generally just make out a separate check and give it to the receptionist along with the visit payment.

But if you're going to have multiple follow ups, I'd say 15% is fine.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Wow I can't believe anyone would tip a dentist. I always believed that tipping was reserved for services rendered that are not adequately salaried. If someone earns 4 or 5 times what I earn, then I'm not about to give them more of my hard earned cash just to do the job they are already paid for.

I only tip what I can afford, usually tip what I deem appropriate for the service I've received and everyone I know does the same thing. We have no set amount of 10%, 20% etc, just depends on what we can afford compared to what service has been provided. Then again, I'm in the UK and tipping is no where near as prevalent as in the US and people don't usually rely on tips to top up their salaries.

No one in the US tips their dentist. The dude is trolling.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    He put various objects and his fingers in MY mouth. I deserve the tip. Just leave it by the spit tray, doc!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...What are you even implying?

I can assure you there's older people who are equally as courteous as younger individuals, evidently you aren't one of them.

My Fiancee is an MD, and for her at least it's usually the younger people who don't tip, most of the older ones have learned that you're supposed to tip your healthcare professionals.

Ok, you're 20 years old and your cougar fiance is an MD and she gets tips from all the older people? Is she a doctor of massage, because your story is just too crazy to be believed. Because this thread amused me last night, I took a poll today of the people I know, including several "old people" and not a single one had ever heard of tipping a dentist or a doctor. You have GOT to be a troll. :noway:
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    This thread is still going?! Seriously?
  • Perplexities
    Options
    ...What are you even implying?

Ok, you're 20 years old and your cougar fiance is an MD and she gets tips from all the older people? Is she a doctor of massage, because your story is just too crazy to be believed. Because this thread amused me last night, I took a poll today of the people I know, including several "old people" and not a single one had ever heard of tipping a dentist or a doctor. You have GOT to be a troll. :noway:

No, she's a Medical Doctor.

She's 26, I'm 21.

It could be a mere coincidence that the people you asked are also like you in the sense that they also don't know about tipping correctly. For example, if I asked 10 people what their favorite color is. it's possible they'd all say "Blue" but that doesn't mean there aren't people that prefer green.

How many People did you Poll?

tumblr_m69fyoKKgi1qed912o1_500_large_zps0761ebb8.gif
  • Perplexities
    Options
    This thread is still going?! Seriously?

That is what i was thinking...

Don't give too much attention to the troll

I live in the US, and in the US it isn't unheard of to tip your Dentist/MD.

The fact that you don't live in the US nor are you aware on US practices in regard to gratuities towards medical professionals doesn't mean I'm a "troll."
  • maria1113
    maria1113 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The beauty of living in Sweden: you don't have to tip ANYONE. Sure, if service or food was excellent you can tip at a restaurant, many round up when paying a cab fare, but it's not compulsory. That's what the so called salary is for.

sal·a·ry
    noun \ˈsal-rē, ˈsa-lə-\

: an amount of money that an employee is paid each year
    plural sal·a·ries

Same thing here in right next door, Finland :smile: So much easier if you ask me...