Why the fitness culture on Social Media needs to die

Options

Replies

• EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Sure, sign me up! I love taking fitness advice from a hypocritical FB duckface.

https://www.facebook.com/kinglima
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Meh. Don't like what I post, either don't read it or unfriend me. It's my page and I'll post what I see fit.

And the woman that the author thinks is "gross" in that article....10/10 WB.

I thought the same thing.

shutterstock_142762636.jpg

yah!! wow!. .more please!

And pan down a bit.

I bet she's rockin a fiiiiinnne squat booty.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    The so-called author of that piece is a class of 2012 graduate ... with a communications degree who now uses it to fill the internet with more banality. I'd kick my kid's *kitten* if she wasted tuition like that.

Hahahahaha. Yes.

Not all of us suck! Sincerely, got-my-mass-comm-degree-in-2011-and-have-a-real-job-in-PR-and-likes-chicken-and-asparagus
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

If you look at the list of articles the author has written you will see a pattern of topics which are "current" and "attention grabbing" such as talking about taking selfies, how to make money off the internet etc. The "fitness" category is just another topic she has decided to plunder for further readership and hits. So by sharing her article OP you have in fact ensured that it has reached a wider audience, which of course looks great for her.

Also if you look at her picture she seems to be quite thin/slim.

I personally keep in mind that not ever body is shaped the same, and truly not everyone will look like those pictures, and that is okay. Striving to be the best "you' is the goal, not trying to look like someone else. I admire those images of super fit bodies and take what tips and information that I think will work for me as I go forward.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Wow! I don't know who wrote that piece of crap, but that is some serious lifestyle-shaming going on there.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    :laugh: This was "not srs" article people! :laugh:
    Kayla Inglima

Kayla is an intellectual, comical, organized mess. She believes that filters are only for coffee & Instagram - hence she says what is on her mind at all times. She likes sushi and wine and being cynical while remaining a likable human. Graduating from Monmouth University in New Jersey, she now seems to put that Communication degree to good use. Find her on the Elite Daily "Who We Are" page, Facebook, Twitter and, most importantly, Instagram (@kayglee), where she has a variety of awesome photos of food and other shenanigans.

Here's the thing about satire. It has to be done well.

Not quite sure how calling a flexing woman "gross"... a woman who is clearly not the author of the article... is accomplishing that.
  • jkohnmobile
    jkohnmobile Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think more than a few of the criticisms in that post apply to any interest group or sub-culture that uses social media, but then again I think twitter, instragram, et al are pretty stupid.

Have to disagree with comments here on pic #3 though; not at all sexy to me, but to each his own.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    At least I post pics of workouts others can't do, LOL, not guilty of point #6

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Speaking of that...

Can we shame on those duck lips? I am so over that fad!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Kayla Inglima

Kayla is an intellectual, comical, organized mess. She believes that filters are only for coffee & Instagram - hence she says what is on her mind at all times. She likes sushi and wine and being cynical while remaining a likable human. Graduating from Monmouth University in New Jersey, she now seems to put that Communication degree to good use. Find her on the Elite Daily "Who We Are" page, Facebook, Twitter and, most importantly, Instagram (@kayglee), where she has a variety of awesome photos of food and other shenanigans.
    What about that bio makes you think the article was "not serious"?

She was trying to use humor to state a point she believes. I say trying because it wasn't actually funny.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Wow what a horrible "article."

First of all she loses all credibility for stating that these people "probably" have "naturally fit bodies." Then she moves on to body shaming women with muscle. Really nice.

Also, most of the fit people I know eat awesome food.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Kayla Inglima

Not quite sure how calling a flexing woman "gross"... a woman who is clearly not the author of the article... is accomplishing that.

^^
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Kayla Inglima

also, effectively saying "just kidding" at the end of a blog doesn't give the author an automatic pass for what they wrote in the blog. it's not a "get out of jail free" card.
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Speaking of that...

Can we shame on those duck lips? I am so over that fad!

I don't know about the duck lips but I was referring to someone saying she was prob fat
  • HelloSweetie81
    HelloSweetie81 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get past the fact that the author complains about other people making her feel bad about her body (the biggest heifer in Farmville,) then proceeds to call another woman's body gross. That's some hateful shizz.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    What a miserable person! It's not my fault that she feels bad about what she eats.

What's with the body shaming?
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Do you post endless baby pictures? Post daily about God or life inspirations? Share your Pinterest activity? Complain about Obama? Or share snarky e-cards?

IMHO - the article is just a rant by someone without the dedication and determination to succeed at something that actually takes hard work. And - that chick is HAWT. I want her muscle definition.

Guess you won't be following me on IG any time soon...

#gymrat #fitfam #beastmode #healthy #fit
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Kayla Inglima

What about that bio makes you think the article was "not serious"?

She was trying to use humor to state a point she believes. I say trying because it wasn't actually funny.

Also this. I saw no indication that it was satire, just that she thinks she's being funny.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I totally get what the author means. I get really jealous of seeing pictures of friends vacations - gawd, how dare they have more fun than me? And when my friends post how they've hit a fitness or weight loss goal - why be supportive when you can be a hater?

Either this article is supposed to be funny and the author is horrible at conveying sarcasm or she needs to stop making lame excuses and get over it. Point #1 was rediculous - if people are naturallly fit, they wouldn't need to spend hours in the gym. Derp
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get past the fact that the author complains about other people making her feel bad about her body (the biggest heifer in Farmville,) then proceeds to call another woman's body gross. That's some hateful shizz.
    I love your ticker!

(Plus I completely agree with your sentiment.)