Why the fitness culture on Social Media needs to die

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I love chicken breast and asparagus. I prep it on Sunday and eat it M-F.
    I also love to procreate with hotties from the gym, call me crazy I guess.

How unnatural to procreate with someone of similar attractiveness! That's not in our biology at all.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get past the fact that the author complains about other people making her feel bad about her body (the biggest heifer in Farmville,) then proceeds to call another woman's body gross. That's some hateful shizz.
    The author is very thin.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    The author of this article is going through and specifically ignoring any well-said pieces of criticism, instead only saying "THANK YOU" to anyone who agrees with her.

I can't believe I'm not on MFP. I can't believe she was paid to say that, and we're feeding hits with every click and comment.

Ugh, what a trap.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    as a Facebook fitness page owner, I disagree with what was written. Are there people out there like that? Sure. Don't like them? Don't "like" their page and follow them. We aren't all like that. In fact, the ones I follow aren't at all. We AIM to be helpful and hope to inspire others, not to make them feel guilty.
  • rml_16
    Options
    :laugh: This was "not srs" article people! :laugh:
    Kayla Inglima

Kayla is an intellectual, comical, organized mess. She believes that filters are only for coffee & Instagram - hence she says what is on her mind at all times. She likes sushi and wine and being cynical while remaining a likable human. Graduating from Monmouth University in New Jersey, she now seems to put that Communication degree to good use. Find her on the Elite Daily "Who We Are" page, Facebook, Twitter and, most importantly, Instagram (@kayglee), where she has a variety of awesome photos of food and other shenanigans.
    What about that bio makes you think the article was "not serious"?

She was trying to use humor to state a point she believes. I say trying because it wasn't actually funny.

Also this. I saw no indication that it was satire, just that she thinks she's being funny.

What IS funny, though, is that she more than likely wrote her own bio. She describes herself as "intellectual" and then writes:
    Graduating from Monmouth University in New Jersey, she now seems to put that Communication degree to good use.

That is one of the most poorly-crafted sentences I've ever read.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I think she was trying to come off funny. She failed. She just comes off bitter.
  • akillilea0812
    Options
    I swear before I even opened the link I knew that one of the points is that it makes other people feel bad! One person's successes in healthy eating, exercise, etc. should not make another person feel bad about their choices (and if so, maybe it is time for a change?).

If my progress has that much impact on your self esteem, you've got bigger issues than instagram.
  • astradford1
    astradford1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love all of these things, especially neon and my meal planning (although I outsource the work)...ehhh if you don't like it's so easy to not follow {shrugs}
  • winyin
    winyin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Not that it will ever happen but I would love to look like the lady in #3.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I think she was trying to come off funny. She failed. She just comes off bitter.

Or lazy... ignorant... immature... eating-disordered...

Any of these would fit, I think.
  • akillilea0812
    Options
    as a Facebook fitness page owner, I disagree with what was written. Are there people out there like that? Sure. Don't like them? Don't "like" their page and follow them. We aren't all like that. In fact, the ones I follow aren't at all. We AIM to be helpful and hope to inspire others, not to make them feel guilty.

Well said :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    What do you expect from a site called "Elite Daily: Voice for Generation Y"?
  • FlyThisKite
    FlyThisKite Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Using what is essentially a fitness/diet social media platform to complain about fitness culture on social media ....hmmm.

LMAO the glory of the internet. People use the internet to complain about the internet. Best thing ever.

Inception...fitness style.
  • ngood10720
    ngood10720 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    absolutely insane article. Why be on myfitnesspal if you agree?
  • KarmaKills
    KarmaKills Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Personally, I see the chicken and asparagus pictured as "happy" because it looks yummy and would give me lots of energy.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

Well said :)

thank ya, kindly! :happy:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Kayla Inglima

Kayla is an intellectual, comical, organized mess. She believes that filters are only for coffee & Instagram - hence she says what is on her mind at all times. She likes sushi and wine and being cynical while remaining a likable human. Graduating from Monmouth University in New Jersey, she now seems to put that Communication degree to good use. Find her on the Elite Daily "Who We Are" page, Facebook, Twitter and, most importantly, Instagram (@kayglee), where she has a variety of awesome photos of food and other shenanigans.

She was trying to use humor to state a point she believes. I say trying because it wasn't actually funny.

Also this. I saw no indication that it was satire, just that she thinks she's being funny.

What IS funny, though, is that she more than likely wrote her own bio. She describes herself as "intellectual" and then writes:
    Graduating from Monmouth University in New Jersey, she now seems to put that Communication degree to good use.

Perhaps, it was satirical... since she thinks she is humorous.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Whatever :smokin:

That chicken and asparagus looks good btw........
  • rml_16
    Options
    I love all of these things, especially neon and my meal planning (although I outsource the work)...ehhh if you don't like it's so easy to not follow {shrugs}
    I was coming to the end of a hike with a friend a while ago and a guy ran past us on another trail in really brightly-colored shorts. I happened to also be wearing some neon-colored shorts.

My friend said, "What's with everyone wearing neon?" (or something like that).

I was stumbling over my words trying to figure out why it bothered her enough to mention it, and talking about how most workout clothes are bright colors, probably to make people more visible outdoors and then I realized she actually asked why a lot of people wore KNEE SOCKS. (The runner was wearnig knee socks.)
  • rml_16
    Options
    Kayla Inglima

Perhaps, it was satirical... since she thinks she is humorous.
    Perhaps.
    Perhaps.
    Perhaps.