Why the fitness culture on Social Media needs to die

Options

Replies

• brewji
    brewji Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Meh. Don't like what I post, either don't read it or unfriend me. It's my page and I'll post what I see fit.

And the woman that the author thinks is "gross" in that article....10/10 WB.

+1

Oh, and the neon looks hot. Love it.
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I kind of think the article was attempting to be a little funny? No biggie, man.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Well this is all very clear. The author is lazy and wants people to join in her mocking of the unlazy so she can feel better about herself.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.

I mean, I have some friends on FB who are runners or lifting or whatever (aside from the friends on FB who came from here), but I don't see the kinds of things that article talks about. At least not large doses of them. So, I wouldn't say it's "ruining" social media. It's not as though that's ALL that's on my feed.

Besides, people post about what they enjoy and what's important to them. I post a ton of stuff abotu books and being a writer because those are my biggest interests. *shrug*
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Oversensitive. Most of these things can be said about anyone who is dedicated to something and posts about it online. And the writer sounds a little jealous of the attention some of them are getting. "They make completely average people think they are famous." Really? That's what happens on the internet.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    People love justifying mediocrity.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Oversensitive. Most of these things can be said about anyone who is dedicated to something and posts about it online. And the writer sounds a little jealous of the attention some of them are getting. "They make completely average people think they are famous." Really? That's what happens on the internet.

Sounds like the author is a fatty

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kinesiology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Meh. Don't like what I post, either don't read it or unfriend me. It's my page and I'll post what I see fit.

I thought the same thing.

shutterstock_142762636.jpg

yah!! wow!. .more please!
  • knot_enough
    knot_enough Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    you know what's bad for her diet? all that haterade
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I don't really see many of those points on social media I use, including this site.
    Maybe the author needs to find different people to interact with on said social media?

My thoughts exactly! Change who you're following?! :huh:
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    "Their food makes us sad" Author doesn't like Nutella or Bacon? The foods that make me sad end or begin with the word diet,and I try to avoid those. Also, I can handle fitness memes. What I can't handle on social media sites are "if your boyfriend loves you" or "I'm so alone" memes. As for the self imposed lifestyle, I see people b!tching about relationships all of the time. Aren't those self imposed as well? If you don't like having the people on your feed, remove them. Heaven forbid they be proud of their accomplishments. :grumble:
  • johe28
    johe28 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yeah, not the best article. I mean, you have good information and bad information out there in the world. Do your research and try to make the best decisions. I think there are many good eating and workout topics/pointers on social media. I have found some good discussion topics and people to follow on social media.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    Using what is essentially a fitness/diet social media platform to complain about fitness culture on social media ....hmmm.

this is what i thought.

long live the glory of MFP. also, lots of us eat bacon..not just grilled chicken and asparagus (both good, btw).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    "Voice of Generation Y"

well....that explains a lot then...the generation of mediocrity.

Also, I'm really not sure what the author is talking about...I really don't see the fitness culture running anything....all one needs to look at is the rate of obesity to understand that there really isn't much of a fitness culture to speak of...I know I'm a pretty rare breed among my friends and family...pretty much everyone i know is big, fat, and out of shape with the exception of a few gym acquaintances I've met the last couple years.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    The author is a self-described "intellectual" who thinks common people who get fit, gain confidence and self-esteem are losers for thinking they are just as good as a rock star. Clearly, this should only accomplished by elitists, the rest of us should just sit down and shut up. :noway:
  • knot_enough
    knot_enough Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    that girl prefers to see pics of food everyone eats and/or of people getting drunk and stupid rather than see pictures of motivated people trying to motivate someone else. people can post whatever they want on their social media; if you dont like it dont follow them. easy enough.
    ugh her issues are giving me issues.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Another instance of a person employed in media running into deadline doom and having to come up with something to write. Everyone needs to make a living.

Nothing to see here people move along.......
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

I thought the same thing.

shutterstock_142762636.jpg

yah!! wow!. .more please!

I wonder if she has an account on here? . .FR me please!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    .....also, lots of us eat bacon..not just grilled chicken and asparagus (both good, btw).

Werd...and pizza and stuff. But I do like grilling up some chicken and asparagus...got to have some roasted potatoes or something with that on the side to bring the plate together though...kinda like a rug-less room without the potatoes or rice or something.