Tattoo acceptance in the work place?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Face_tattoo.jpg

As hot as I think that is ^^^, she's not representing my company in the board room trying to close a deal with a multi-billion dollar bank client. It would be completely in-appropriate in my line of work and a great many business environments.

I'm not sure what so many people here don't seem to get about that..but then again, the ones that don't get it are obviously the ones inking themselves in places that can't be covered and then crying foul and "discrimination".

A person who is head-to-toe covered in tattoos like the woman above knows they are more than likely not going to get hired anywhere professional. Speaking on behalf of the people I know who are covered in tattoos, they are also more than likely not going to be looking to get hired anywhere professional.

I know that...I'm simply making the point because there are a whole bunch of whiny generation Y folks here who think it would be discriminatory to not hire someone like that in a highly professional environment. Generation Y is pretty much a lost cause I think....time to move on.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Face_tattoo.jpg

As hot as I think that is ^^^, she's not representing my company in the board room trying to close a deal with a multi-billion dollar bank client. It would be completely in-appropriate in my line of work and a great many business environments.

I'm not sure what so many people here don't seem to get about that..but then again, the ones that don't get it are obviously the ones inking themselves in places that can't be covered and then crying foul and "discrimination".

Put her in a pants suit with a scarf and let her grow her bangs out and you would never see her tattoos. She could be a huge asset to your company!

ETA: All my tattoos can easily be hidden. All are on my legs and back. It still is discrimination to not hire someone because they have tattoos.

If she could cover it up completely that would be fine (but I highly doubt she could do so so easily as you say)...I have nothing against tattoos...I have tattoos. But as soon as she cost me a multi-billion dollar contract because the client or potential client didn't like the image my company was putting out there would be the minute her *kitten* was out the door.

You obviously do not hold a position where you even have to consider such things...
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    The comments are all so interesting. I work with law enforcement and tattoos are huge - both male and female alike. Lots of full sleeves, wrists, very visible. I totally get that they may not be acceptable everywhere and would never take that personally - unless someone is judging my character - that's just small minded.

Yep. I understand an employer's right to set their dress code.

Judging character based on tattoos is just plain ignorant.

Not always. Sometimes it's pretty easy. For example see 1st and 3rd tattoo. Pretty easy to judge their character by their ink.

http://awfulink.com/

First off, you wouldn't see the first tattoo unless the person's pants were down.

You're being a bit dramatic and unrealistic with your choice of tattoos to show.

Judging someone's character based on their tattoos is ignorant. Plain and simple.

Yes, someone small-minded will find it easy to judge someone with a stupid tattoo on their *kitten* or face.

The smarter person knows that a tattoo doesn't define a person's character and knows that the tattoos on the link you provided are probably 1) photoshopped or 2) fake. Don't believe everything you see on the internet :smile:

I don't know .... If someone came into my office with flappy bird tattooed across their forehead, I wouldn't even bother to interview that person. I would judge that person as an idiot, and simply tell them that we're not going to waste any time talking about a position that I will never hire them for. It doesn't make me small minded. It makes me able to efficiently weed out a complete moron.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I work in an office environment at an university where jeans are accepted but not exactly encouraged.
    I have two tats, one on my wrist and I have never once felt the need to cover it up or blame it for any issues that came my way.

Each supervisor is different, so if you're considering a tattoo in a visible area I would consult with the environment you're in.

you are in a university environment - much more progressive and isolated form what the business world is like. Working in the arts is the same more liberal and accepting
    in "the real world" so to speak the rules are much stricter and sadly way more conservative and conformist
    My current job allows me to wear jeans because aside from purchasing i am going to be involved with shipping and receiving and no one wants to pay for new suits for me regularly for some reason (If I was in contract with guests and front of house i'd be wearing a suit, and not even one of my choosing but one they chose and paid for to meet a standard. just the way it is
  • jeyloz
    jeyloz Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm training to be a teacher and work as youth worker at a charity for underprivileged young people, I've never had an issue with my tattoos. That said I'm also an actress so I have gotten them in subtle places so as not to lose castings and such. It would definitively affect my acting, all agencies want to know about them.
  • karmabear06
    karmabear06 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My employee handbook says "We want to meet our customers expectations in terms of the Dealership's image and style. Thus, for our employees who have contact with our customers, we limit the types of tattoos and piercings that may be visible to the customer. No employee may make visible a tattoo that might be offensive to customers or our No Harassment Policy...... As with articles of clothing, Dealership managers will determine whether particular tattoos or piercings should not be visible to our customers."

I have multiple tattoos/piercings one of my tattoos is visible and I've never been asked to cover it up not that it matters but it's a decorative scroll wrapped around my wrist like a braclet the rest are out of sight in modest clothing. I have been employed for over a decade at the same location however my employer has declined to hire someone due to visible tattoos or has required them to hide them at all times. I work directly with MANY customers daily and have never been asked by my employer to cover my tattoo same as with my piercings although by personal choice I take my tongue ring out during the work week. :-P I don't feel treated any differently than my coworkers who have no tattoos or piercings. I think tattoos are a great way to express yourself creatively but there is a fine line between classy and trashy for example I personally would NEVER get a neck tattoo and I am turned off when I see them, blah!
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    How disgusting is my friend Trevor?

559679_604173249605569_1676411222_n.jpg

Pretty disgusting by some of you life of the party type people......

Also before you guys go on a tangent about "good luck getting a job" he's a full time tattoo artist & touring musician.

We need an ink appreciation thread. ON TO A NEW THREAD MY FRIENDS...
  • quietair
    quietair Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone -

Just curious as to how many people on here have tattoos. What do you do for a living and do your tattoos affect how you are treated/perceived in the workplace? Do you have to hide them, or are they out in the open? Do you think you've ever been discriminated against because of your ink?

I do.
    I'm a radio personality, and no, the public doesn't see me much in person so the usual argument doesn't apply anyway.
    No, but they're hidden by anything t-shirt size or bigger.
    No, but I know I've been discriminated against because of my weight.
  • karen1105mfp
    karen1105mfp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I work at the county office of education and I have a dragonfly tattoo on my inner ankle. We don't need to "hide" our tattoos here. My boss, the director of human resources, has a tattoo on her foot and shoulder! (you wouldn't think she had any by first impression).
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Face_tattoo.jpg

Put her in a pants suit with a scarf and let her grow her bangs out and you would never see her tattoos. She could be a huge asset to your company!

ETA: All my tattoos can easily be hidden. All are on my legs and back. It still is discrimination to not hire someone because they have tattoos.

It discrimination not to hire a 600 pound person to be the face of your personal training gym too. But also a smart business decision.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    He didn't, he is just pulling facts from his *kitten* to supoprt his claim.

ROFL. UMADBRO.

No, please show us the facts that don't ans can't exist from your "point"
  • moosegt35
    Options
    The comments are all so interesting. I work with law enforcement and tattoos are huge - both male and female alike. Lots of full sleeves, wrists, very visible. I totally get that they may not be acceptable everywhere and would never take that personally - unless someone is judging my character - that's just small minded.

Not always. Sometimes it's pretty easy. For example see 1st and 3rd tattoo. Pretty easy to judge their character by their ink.

First off, you wouldn't see the first tattoo unless the person's pants were down.

You're being a bit dramatic and unrealistic with your choice of tattoos to show.

Judging someone's character based on their tattoos is ignorant. Plain and simple.

Yes, someone small-minded will find it easy to judge someone with a stupid tattoo on their *kitten* or face.

The smarter person knows that a tattoo doesn't define a person's character and knows that the tattoos on the link you provided are probably 1) photoshopped or 2) fake. Don't believe everything you see on the internet :smile:

So it's ignorant to judge the character of someone who has gang tats, a swastika on their forehead or a tat that says "f@%K the police" across their chest? What about the woman that has a screaming baby tatted across her private regions? Yes, all these bad tattoos on the internet are fake or photoshopped. ROFL, what world do you live in?
  • moosegt35
    Options

I don't know .... If someone came into my office with flappy bird tattooed across their forehead, I wouldn't even bother to interview that person. I would judge that person as an idiot, and simply tell them that we're not going to waste any time talking about a position that I will never hire them for. It doesn't make me small minded. It makes me able to efficiently weed out a complete moron.

yep
  • moosegt35
    Options

Also before you guys go on a tangent about "good luck getting a job" he's a full time tattoo artist & touring musician.

ROFL, and the most pointless "point" of the thread goes to DING...DING.....DING... you. You mean he was able to get a job as a musician and tattoo artist being covered in tattoos? Next thing you are gonna tell me is the guy covered in brick mortar was able to get a job laying bricks. I just don't believe it. WOW.
  • s1rens0ng
    s1rens0ng Posts: 127 Member
    Options

i like this ^^^^^ its narrow minded and old fashioned saying you could'nt have a professional carer because you have tattoo's.. times have changed an attitudes need to aswell.

my daughter is a tattoo artist and she doesn't have any but she loves them. I have another relative who is a professional model because she is covered in tattoos.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have two tattoos - one on my back, which is covered by most shirts (although it's pretty high up, almost to the neck, some some shirts with a lower back do not cover it). I also have one on my inner forearm, which is not covered unless I wear long sleeved shirts. I am currently working as a barista in a shop that is very open to people with tattoos, piercings and the like. I plan to get a full sleeve this year, a jungle scene, and while I understand that it could definitely effect my future career plans (being a teacher) I will not get tattoos based on that. Many schools now allow teachers to have tattoos, particularly public schools, so I will take my chances.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

So it's ignorant to judge the character of someone who has gang tats, a swastika on their forehead or a tat that says "f@%K the police" across their chest? What about the woman that has a screaming baby tatted across her private regions? Yes, all these bad tattoos on the internet are fake or photoshopped. ROFL, what world do you live in?

Who are you to judge what another individual puts on THEIR body?

Once again, you don't know the message or reasoning behind it. Nor is it any of your business, really.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    As a hiring manager, I have made the decision to not hire someone based on their appearance.
    I might have lost out on some talent for sure but, in my opinion, body art is supposed to tell the world who you are.
    If your body art tells me that you are a violent person (tats of weaponry) or overt sexual images (naked lady), they you will not be a full time employee.
    If the tat has a name on it (wife, kids, husband) or, if the ink is Military related and you are a vet, I can ignore it.
    It is no different then wearing a mohawk or a kilt to work.
    Body art makes a statement.
    If I disagree with that statement (IE: I like violence), then once your contract is up, have a nice life.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Who are you to judge what another individual puts on THEIR body?

Once again, you don't know the message or reasoning behind it. Nor is it any of your business, really.

I don't need to know a message or reasoning behind artwork on someone's body that is offensive or obviously done without thought.
    By virtue of them putting it in my line of sight, then applying for a job where I'm hiring, they have made it my business.

Don't want me to judge your tat? Cover it.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

i like this ^^^^^ its narrow minded and old fashioned saying you could'nt have a professional carer because you have tattoo's.. times have changed an attitudes need to aswell.

my daughter is a tattoo artist and she doesn't have any but she loves them. I have another relative who is a professional model because she is covered in tattoos.

Yeah, sorry....the board room really hasn't changed all that much...

1656321_670002773060629_1875243427_n.jpg

business professionals still pretty much look like that ^^^. That's not to say that we don't have tats under our suits...a lot of us do...just not covering our entire faces and necks. I really don't see Trevor here in an executive position at a fortune 500 anytime soon...nor do I think he'd want to be.

It's not "old fashioned"...it's called reality.