Tattoo acceptance in the work place?

Options

Replies

• cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I think some places discriminate.

It's their company, they can call the shots. You may call it discrimnation. I call it the right to hire who they want and your right to work there if you so choose.
    I'm not sure discrimination laws agree with you. I suppose it depends where you live, but almost anywhere in Canada and the US you'd have a reasonable lawsuit on your hands in virtually all professions.

Actually, you wouldn't.

In Texas, we have at-will employment:

"At-will employment is a term used in U.S. labor law for contractual relationships in which an employee can be dismissed by an employer for any reason (that is, without having to establish "just cause" for termination), and without warning.[1] When an employee is acknowledged as being hired "at will", courts deny the employee any claim for loss resulting from the dismissal. The rule is justified by its proponents on the basis that an employee may be similarly entitled to leave his or her job without reason or warning."

Therefore, you get tattoo --> boss doesn't like it --> boss can fire you. Totally legal AND it's an agreement that you sign off on when working.

Not sure about other locales.

But employers know the image that they want to put forth and if they don't agree with your image, because of choices you have made to alter your body, they don't have to hire you. It's a risk people take when getting tattoos. Mine is easily hidden as are any others that I have planned. Simple as that.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

It's their company, they can call the shots. You may call it discrimnation. I call it the right to hire who they want and your right to work there if you so choose.

So according to this, a company can decide to not hire African Americans and that's not discrimnation?
    Uh...no. Race is protected class. Body art is not.

Beat me to it so I'll just QFT....

This is actually really amazing to me that people don't understand this and there are so many people that think body art is a protected class.

You can't do whatever you want people...companies are still allowed to have rules and dress codes...that's completely different than discriminating against race.

Exactly Companies can and do set dress codes, the only thing i've seen change in dress codes is because they need to treat men and women equally they have tightend up what acceptable piercings and jewelry is and allowed men to have a small stud or 2 because they had to
    Dress codes are about corporate image and can easily be defended that way
    If you can't cover the a tattoo and they require it then you are out of luck (and in fact won't make it to the second interview)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Tattoo's IMO look dirty and a complete turn off.

I was in a fish and chips place where the cooks serve you and this guy had some gross tattoo on the top of his hand. Needless to say, I haven't gone back there.

If you are working with the public - cover them up not everyone shares your views thinking they are art or attractive.

You must get to spend a lot of time indoors and alone based on your logic.

Because I don't share your view? How little of you....
    but it's not little of you to unilaterally say all tatoos are dirty? I keep mine covered at work but will let them show in public. both of them have a lot of meaning to me, and I thought long and hard before getting either of them. It's pretty insulting to hear someone call them "dirty".

Sigh... there's a difference between insulting someone and saying something looks dirty.
    One is an option on an object and one is an attack at a person.

Sorry about your life choices. Not everyone appreciates your free spirit decisions. (see, that was an insult)

So, you'd say that getting a tattoo that has a gray brain cancer ribbon with blue butterfly wings and says "Brain Tumor Survivor" on it is dirty and is a "free spirit decision". Although for me at the time it was an affirmation of the fact that I had survived the surgery that removed a cancerous tumor from my brain (a tumor that will grow back in time). I use that tattoo as a way to remind myself of the fight I'm in and to strengthen myself. is that "dirty" to you? it's on my shoulder, so I can cover it up when at work, and it's only visible when I choose for it to be. You're a pretty small-minded person for belittling anyone with a tattoo without knowing the reason for the choice.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I don't have tattoos. I work with people who have them. The only connection I see between quality of work and tattoos is that idiots' tattoos are frequently badly-designed and of poor quality.

So I kind of like tattoos in the workplace. They're an early warning system. "Oh, you have a homemade Human Centipede across the tops of both of your feet! No, never mind, I won't need this code tested today."
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I'm not sure discrimination laws agree with you. I suppose it depends where you live, but almost anywhere in Canada and the US you'd have a reasonable lawsuit on your hands in virtually all professions.

Uh, no you wouldn't. Tattoos are not a protected class.

The only way you would be able to sue is if tattoos were a vital part of your religion and you could prove that you could not practice your religion without them. Then, yeah....lawsuit. But otherwise, sorry, no.
  • romanaXOX
    romanaXOX Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    When I applied for my job, I had my hair down during the interview. They loved me! everything was perfect. I was basically hired.

They handed me their uniform policy booklet so I would know what to wear when I had my first day and it stated that no employees could have visible tattoos. My tattoo is on my neck and during daily life when my hair is down you would never know that it exists. However since I work in a restaurant setting my hair is always tied up. I had to meet with the GM, the head of HR, have them contact head office and ask for an exception all because of an image of a shooting star.

The frustrating thing is that I could tell that they themselves didn't believe in the policy them selves. It was a rule that someone made sitting at head office somewhere, that doesn't understand just how much of the hiring pool they could really be eliminating.

In past jobs, my tattoos have been a conversation piece and a way to connect with guests in the restaurant if THEY chose to bring it up. And never has anyone ever been offended by a shooting star.

You're not getting it. Has nothing to do with where someone is sitting that makes the rules, or the people working at the branch. It has to do with that company's rules and the image they want to portray.

There are tons of waiter jobs out there and lots don't care about tats. I suggest you find one of those.

First of all - I'm not a waiter, I'm a manager. Second of all I did get the job. And corporate cleared that my tattoos were in fact completely inoffensive.

My GM and HR person now ask me every day if I'm happy and feeling fulfilled because they want to make sure I'm not going anywhere. If corporate had said no against my tattoo they both would have been devastated at losing a candidate for such a silly reason. My quality of work and enthusiasm for my industry more than out weighs any dislike of tattoos a guest may have.
  • veganstephanie
    veganstephanie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have 8 tattoos. Except for two, nobody knew I had any. I work at whole foods. They could care less about tattoos, hair color, and if you wear anything professional. Usually jeans and t-shirts is what people wear. we also have a no discrimination about sexual orientation along with the other discrimination laws, so im lucky to work here where the environment is very relaxed.
  • One_Last_Time
    Options
    I have tattoos. Just about everyone I work with has them. Unless it's vulgar or offensive then I don't think they should have to be hidden. I'm a massage therapist.
  • Oldtimer_65
    Options

Tattoos is not a protected class.

This. The only way it is discriminattion is if they allow some people to show tattoos, and prohibit others. Then, ya might have a dog in the fight....
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

Not even close, I spent most of 27 years in a hiring position, Companies have dress codes to protect their image among other reasons. the no visible tats, extreme hair style colours, piercings and clothing all fall under dress code. So does cleanliness (I've had employees with severe body odour issues that is now a fun thing to deal with)
    You cannot discriminate based on age race, religion or sexual orientation that's it Body art hairstyles etc are all choices the only choice item in the discrimination clause is religion
    Exceptions for religious clothing may be allowed but in fact it is not covered per se
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    They are becoming so common these days that most businesses allow them, some may make you wear a long sleeved collar shirt to cover them up, but in reality in 10 years Id say 75% of the world has one in some sort
  • JnK619
    JnK619 Posts: 320
    Options
    people with Raiders tattoos should be discriminated against. always. :angry:

raiders-logo-tattoo-on-head.jpg

Go Broncos!

Word!...Go Chargers!...let the slams begin
  • JeremyMerrin
    JeremyMerrin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The thing that bothers me more than the fact that it's a gigantic head tattoo...or the Raiders for that matter, is the fact that it's not centered or at least it seems like it isn't in relationship to his nose. I know it's my problem but I just want to fix it for him.
  • veganstephanie
    veganstephanie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    mccindy72-I also have a tattoo regarding a medical issue. I work as a cashier at whole foods and customers always love reading my tattoo. it says epilepsy messed with the wrong chick. has a baby chick under the words. they love that im not embarrassed and that it's ok to have it. sorry about your brain tumor. that's much worse than mine, but I can relate tattoo wise.
  • romanaXOX
    romanaXOX Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    The thing that bothers me more than the fact that it's a gigantic head tattoo...or the Raiders for that matter, is the fact that it's not centered or at least it seems like it isn't in relationship to his nose. I know it's my problem but I just want to fix it for him.

ugh - wish you never pointed that out.. OCD hate!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have three, I am legal office manager. Two on my back and one on the back of my neck. I got an eyebrow raise, and a "why would you do that?" regarding my neck tattoo it's =] but virtical, with vampire fangs.

I am not trying to be a jerk about your tattoo...I know it will probably come across that way. But seriously THIS is what I am talking about...must really vary dramatically by area. Because where I live and work...and I've worked in the legal field and know many attorneys...there's just NO WAY anyone working in their firms would be allowed to have a visible tattoo, period, but especially not a smiley face with vampire teeth on their neck. Seriously. No. Way.

The attorneys I know wouldn't even give someone with a tiny diamond stud in their nose a second interview...and shot down a young paralegal with several years of experience because of a (well done) powder blue manicure.
  • coleyj95
    coleyj95 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I work for a sheriffs department and I have a very large tattoo on my chest and many piercings. No cover up is required.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    They are becoming so common these days that most businesses allow them, some may make you wear a long sleeved collar shirt to cover them up, but in reality in 10 years Id say 75% of the world has one in some sort

Oh dear, I can't even be bothered to pick this apart.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I have all tattoos that baring a bikini are all easily covered.

My work now has adress code prohibiting visible tattoos, but they are not very strict in enforcing it. With the job market and economy where it is, I am also not going to tattoo myself anywhere that could potentially hinder my employment opportunities.
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The comments are all so interesting. I work with law enforcement and tattoos are huge - both male and female alike. Lots of full sleeves, wrists, very visible. I totally get that they may not be acceptable everywhere and would never take that personally - unless someone is judging my character - that's just small minded.