Tattoo acceptance in the work place?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I think some places discriminate.

It's their company, they can call the shots. You may call it discrimnation. I call it the right to hire who they want and your right to work there if you so choose.

So according to this, a company can decide to not hire African Americans and that's not discrimnation?
    Don't be silly. Race is protected. If you wish to have tattoos fine but take into account that not everyone like your choice in body art. the same way not everyone wont like your choice in clothes. In a lot of jobs you wear a uniform to portray an image covering up body art may also be part of that image. I find it rather pathetic that people want to compare themselves with the fight for racial equality because they are asked to cover up some tattoos.

Not saying tattoos are equal to race equality. Tattoos are a choice that you have to live with. Race is not something you have any choice in. But there is only one word to adequately describe not hiring people with tattoos because you don't like tattoos and that word is discrimination.

What happens when those tattoos are related to race, religion and culture? For example, maori face tattoos. At that point discriminating against the ink is also racial discrimination.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    This just occurred to me: What about bad tattoos? Cos there is an awful lot of HORRIFIC ink out there.....anyone ever been told that tattoos in general are fine...but yours stink...NEXT!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't hire a tattooed person for my company, I feel it sends the wrong image.

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kinesiology, nutrition and Dinosaurs

:huh:
  • romanaXOX
    romanaXOX Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    When I applied for my job, I had my hair down during the interview. They loved me! everything was perfect. I was basically hired.

They handed me their uniform policy booklet so I would know what to wear when I had my first day and it stated that no employees could have visible tattoos. My tattoo is on my neck and during daily life when my hair is down you would never know that it exists. However since I work in a restaurant setting my hair is always tied up. I had to meet with the GM, the head of HR, have them contact head office and ask for an exception all because of an image of a shooting star.

The frustrating thing is that I could tell that they themselves didn't believe in the policy them selves. It was a rule that someone made sitting at head office somewhere, that doesn't understand just how much of the hiring pool they could really be eliminating.

In past jobs, my tattoos have been a conversation piece and a way to connect with guests in the restaurant if THEY chose to bring it up. And never has anyone ever been offended by a shooting star.
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I have my daughters name on my leg and my arm tattoo thats shoulder to my forearm. Which shows a bit here at work. Im a car salesman for Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM. Also I keep my studs in my ears too. Along with my finance manager. Some of us here have tats on our arms, but it doesn't seem to bother anyone. :glasses:
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

It's their company, they can call the shots. You may call it discrimnation. I call it the right to hire who they want and your right to work there if you so choose.

So according to this, a company can decide to not hire African Americans and that's not discrimnation?

Do you know what protected classes are?
  • craftergin
    craftergin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I work in a university library - anything goes!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think a lot of it depends on your field, industry, company, etc. Geographical location probably plays a role too.

Where I live and work, people are definitely frowned upon in white collar jobs for having visible tattoos. I cover mine at work, period. Even though my tattoos are smallish and non-offensive, I'm not prepared to deal with any issues in the workplace over them.

While I think capri pants are kind of cheesy, a few years ago they were very popular and I wore them sometimes at work in my professional job. Even though 90% of the staff members my age or younger had tattoos, the organization I worked for had a huge smackdown about it and no more capris were allowed...even if they were worn with very dressy and coordinated outfits.

My ex husband had a very small tattoo on his neck, and he CONSTANTLY had issues with that. He worked for a convenience store chain for many years and worked his way up to manager and loss prevention manager and so on...at one point he was up for a bigger promotion and they seriously told him that he might want to consider having the tattoo removed because it was one of the main reasons he wasn't selected (!) Years before that, when he was like 20, he worked at Toys R Us and they would not let him on the sales floor due to the neck tat. He had to stay in back assembling toys and bikes (suited him fine, but still). Again, it was really small...it was stupid Kanji...it wasn't a swastika or anything...
  • MzMellowD
    MzMellowD Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I work in a bank and it is against policy to have visiible tattoos, even if we don't work the public directly. i pull my sleeves up all the time or wear short sleeves so tattoos on my wrist show... I am so rebeliuos! HA!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I have three, I am legal office manager. Two on my back and one on the back of my neck. I got an eyebrow raise, and a "why would you do that?" regarding my neck tattoo it's =] but virtical, with vampire fangs.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Don't be silly. Race is protected. If you wish to have tattoos fine but take into account that not everyone like your choice in body art. the same way not everyone wont like your choice in clothes. In a lot of jobs you wear a uniform to portray an image covering up body art may also be part of that image. I find it rather pathetic that people want to compare themselves with the fight for racial equality because they are asked to cover up some tattoos.

Not saying tattoos are equal to race equality. Tattoos are a choice that you have to live with. Race is not something you have any choice in. But there is only one word to adequately describe not hiring people with tattoos because you don't like tattoos and that word is discrimination.

What happens when those tattoos are related to race, religion and culture? For example, maori face tattoos. At that point discriminating against the ink is also racial discrimination.

I don't know of any religion, race or culture of whose members are likely to be interviewing at my estate agency in Surrey, just outside of London, where visible (with business dress) tattoos are forced upon them, or compulsory in some way.. Unless you would like to enlighten me.....
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Tattoo's IMO look dirty and a complete turn off.

I was in a fish and chips place where the cooks serve you and this guy had some gross tattoo on the top of his hand. Needless to say, I haven't gone back there.

If you are working with the public - cover them up not everyone shares your views thinking they are art or attractive.

I was in a store and a lady that worked there told me and my husband that we were going to go to hell because of our tattoos. We informed the manager that we would not be making our purchase and why. She was fired.

Not everyone shares your views thinking they are unattractive. My church has no problems with my tattoos.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    If someone applies for work and I see a tattoo or earring they don't get hired, period. My company and my rules. If you have tats located where normal dress has them covered thats fine.

You won't hire someone if they have their ears pierced?
  • moosegt35
    Options

Uh...no. Race is protected class. Body art is not.

It's still discrimination. To not hire or not promote someone based only on looks is discrimination. It may not be something you could sue someone over but you are discriminating when you say Those with tattoos need not apply.

Let's say someone has a huge tattoo of a fire breathing dragon on their face. Is it discrimination to not hire that person to be the receptionist at your office building over hiring a clean cut, no dragon face tattoo person? Not at all, it's a business decision and a smart one at that. Your argument for this is horrible.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I am a tax accountant, so my rule has been that my tats can't show in business attire. Therefore, I've never been discriminated against.

I grew up in a time and place where there were *a lot* of people who couldn't find jobs. I have a personal phobia about not being able to find a job, so I like to keep all of my options open, and if having a pretty little flower on my ankle might potentially limit my ability to earn a living, that's never going to be worth it to me.

However, I have a ribbon of ink from my left shoulder to my right thigh (and wrapping around the front, too). I've occasionally had someone notice it if I wear a very thin shirt or a tank top because it does peek out at the neck. Since everyone knows that I ride a Harley and I've been at my company, doing good work, for 13 years, no one cares too much here.

I couldn't care less what anyone else does and I would never let tattoos or any other body mods influence how I treat someone. But I also know that there are people out there who care a lot about it, and someday one of them might be the one interviewing me. :shrugs: So I play by the rules.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    I work in corporate Human Resources, and have two tattoos (only one visible on my calf when I wear dresses).

After my first week there I determined it was fine to expose my tattoo. The first day I did so one of my bosses grabbed my leg to read it better.

And as to tattoos being a protected class: definitely not.

You work in HR and your boss grabbed your leg?
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Same with hair... a lot of places won't hire hippies - that's a fact of life but some people grow it for religious purposes.

As long as you can think of a reason to not hire them you're okay (didn't like answers in interview is perfectly okay).
    I know a lot of businesses won't hire muslims because of all the time they require to pray and other special considerations.

Some places hire 'models' for positions so they can hire just good looking people.

You have to do everything you can before hiring someone to weed people out. Once you pass the 3 month mark you need a reason to fire someone (the law here).
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

Most retail places allow tattoos and piercings without exception.

Uh no they don't (I spent 27 years in retail and my wife is still in it) In fact the more conservative the retailer the less likely they are to be accepting. It's better than it was when i was young (and not allowed to wear the 5 earings i had even 1 could only be a small stud)
    I'm now in Hospitality. Back of house it's not a big deal, but front of house its no visible tats and only simple conservative jewelry (men or women ) In fact it is only in the last 6 months you could have a neatly trimmed beard here (I work at a high end hotel and across the board all our competitors and the next level down in our chain and competitors chains would have similar rules
    In fact with a lot of companies no matter what they say if you show up with a lot of piercings or visible tattoos you just went to he bottom of the hire pool before the interview even started
    I wish I could say it was different but it's not really. bear in mind senior management in all companies tend to be older conservative white males and direction comes from there (as well as promotion opportunities)
  • Aust1967
    Aust1967 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love tattoos! I have 5 of my own - and plan on getting several more. I am 47 and work for a major financial institution in the US. One of mine "peeks out" depending on the cut of my neckline. Three of mine are completely visible in the summer when I wear capris. One is never visible. I have never had anyone say anything and I have seen other employees with a lot bigger and more visible tattoos than I have.

It might be different if I was in a position where I saw the public - I am in the IT department and my "customers" are employees all across the country.

My 20 year old daughter has three tattoos of various shapes and sizes (and plans on more). I have tried to persaude her to not get any that are too visible (like on her hands) for fear it interferes with her getting a job when she is out of college. She worked at a junior's clothing store last summer and all tattoos had to be covered.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I have three tattoos, and want quite a few more.

I'm very fortunate that I work in the video gaming industry, and pretty much anything goes. I often have pink/purple/blue in my hair and it's not a problem either.

I think the only tattoos that would be a problem would in the racist nature, like a swastika or something similar.

For those of you who have office jobs that allow you to have tattoos, that's awesome!

Wait, what? Where? AFAIK, there aren't any devs in Reno/Sparks...