Tattoo acceptance in the work place?

Options

Replies

• Donna36232399
    Donna36232399 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I work in a construction related office, so no discrimination against them. I have 2 that I got on same day less than a year ago. One is very visible on my wrist and depending on clothing choice of the day I have a large one on my back, never have had a problem. It is becoming more acceptable these days and I notice it all over the city here in Santa Barbara, CA that less and less office settings are discriminating against them in their "qualifications" called out in ads.
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I think some places discriminate.

It's their company, they can call the shots. You may call it discrimnation. I call it the right to hire who they want and your right to work there if you so choose.

Absolutely. I am a bank manager in a very small town. I have several, including a half sleeve. I would never consider not covering. I also expect my employees to cover. My company is conservative, I love my job, and respect my organizations wishes.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options

It's their company, they can call the shots. You may call it discrimnation. I call it the right to hire who they want and your right to work there if you so choose.

I agree with you on this one. I don't think bad about a person or company that wants to project a certain image. It's their choice.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I have 12 tattoos and I work a desk job on a Navy base. Most the men that work above me are retired sailors so most have tattoos. Still when I was interviewing for the job, I wore clothes that hid my tattoos and only brought them up after I had been offered the position. I do get some looks around the office but I have never been asked to cover them and no one has said anything negative about them. Tattoos are still banned in a lot of work places but they are getting more popular so eventually, employers will have to openly accept them.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I do not have any tattoos or piercings (besides each ear lobe) but I was a trainer for flight attendants up until about 1.5 years ago. In that situation, tattoos all must be covered by clothing (make-up is not acceptable cover) and piercings are limited to two per ear lobe, no where else visable is allowed. This was an issue for some, for example if you have an ankle tatoo you would never be allowed to wear anything put pants at work, when dresses and skirts are options for others. Long sleeves too would be required to cover arm tattoos...pretty uncomfortable in warm weather.

If I was to get a tattoo, personally I would keep these types of limitations in mind and get it somewhere that is always covered with typical work wear.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

I agree with Maximus

Yeah me too, it's just not discrimination.

Not always but it CAN be.
  • khkjkk
    khkjkk Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There may be less discrimination based on tattoos in my work place than in others. I work with a fair amount of veterans, and many of them tend to be tattooed. I suppose my company has realized that not hiring individuals based solely on the fact that they have tattoos is a silly and increasingly outdated concept. Most of us cover up when going into big meetings -- not intentionally, but due to the nature of business attire. Regardless, the number of folks with visible arm and leg tattoos in the office is increasing, as is the number of people accepting that tattoos =/= unprofessional.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't have any tattoos but in my company (government contractor - healthcare) people with tattoos are asked to cover them. Since I am involved in some of the hiring, I know that some applicants have not been considered because of tattoos or piercings. And, some current employees with tattoos have been passed over for promotion because of it.
  • b_ray_73
    b_ray_73 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

I'm not sure discrimination laws agree with you. I suppose it depends where you live, but almost anywhere in Canada and the US you'd have a reasonable lawsuit on your hands in virtually all professions.
    Not entirely true. I've worked many places where it was included in the company dress code that ink was not to be visible to the client. Having tattoos is not a protected status AFAIK. I chose to be a consultant where I wore long sleeve professional clothes for years because it was in the dress code that tattoos could not be in visible places due to the impression we needed to have for our clients. I now work somewhere where I can wear tank tops or short sleeves and my tattoos can be seen daily.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

I'm not sure discrimination laws agree with you. I suppose it depends where you live, but almost anywhere in Canada and the US you'd have a reasonable lawsuit on your hands in virtually all professions.
    Tattoos is not a protected class.
  • GothyFaery
    Options

So according to this, a company can decide to not hire African Americans and that's not discrimnation?
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

So according to this, a company can decide to not hire African Americans and that's not discrimnation?
    Uh...no. Race is protected class. Body art is not.
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It all depends on where you work. Each workplace will have different rules. I work in a chiropractic office and tats are all good. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Beat me to it so I'll just QFT....

This is actually really amazing to me that people don't understand this and there are so many people that think body art is a protected class.

You can't do whatever you want people...companies are still allowed to have rules and dress codes...that's completely different than discriminating against race.
  • evilpixiegrrr
    Options
    I have three tattoos, and want quite a few more.

I'm very fortunate that I work in the video gaming industry, and pretty much anything goes. I often have pink/purple/blue in my hair and it's not a problem either.

I think the only tattoos that would be a problem would in the racist nature, like a swastika or something similar.

For those of you who have office jobs that allow you to have tattoos, that's awesome!
  • ElectricDame
    Options
    I was around 5K in work on me. I have my arms done, and one visible one behind my ear.. and many others you can't see. I also have teal in my hair and my tongue pierced. I work for an engineering company where everyone in the front offices wear business casual, but my co worker and I work in the shop (I weld, fabricate metal pieces, build aircraft componants) and we arent subject to dress code. I wear work pants, my old Marine Corps steel toed boots, and a tshirt to work every day because we get covered in metal dust daily.

I am very fortunate to a job that is way more concered with your work than silly things like tattoos. I love my job.
  • GothyFaery
    Options

It's still discrimination. To not hire or not promote someone based only on looks is discrimination. It may not be something you could sue someone over but you are discriminating when you say Those with tattoos need not apply.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I work in corporate Human Resources, and have two tattoos (only one visible on my calf when I wear dresses).

After my first week there I determined it was fine to expose my tattoo. The first day I did so one of my bosses grabbed my leg to read it better.

And as to tattoos being a protected class: definitely not.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Don't be silly. Race is protected. If you wish to have tattoos fine but take into account that not everyone like your choice in body art. the same way not everyone wont like your choice in clothes. In a lot of jobs you wear a uniform to portray an image covering up body art may also be part of that image. I find it rather pathetic that people want to compare themselves with the fight for racial equality because they are asked to cover up some tattoos.