Tattoo acceptance in the work place?

Options
megbee617
megbee617 Posts: 100 Member
Hi everyone -

Just curious as to how many people on here have tattoos. What do you do for a living and do your tattoos affect how you are treated/perceived in the workplace? Do you have to hide them, or are they out in the open? Do you think you've ever been discriminated against because of your ink?

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I think some places discriminate. I have 8 tattoos. One is always visible, an icthys on my wrist. I work in an office and I've never been asked to cover it up. When I wear capris, my tattoo on my ankle is visible.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I have 11 tattoos and 8 piercings! I work in the healthcare field, when I am with families I am suppose to keep them covered. Most of my tats can be easily covered with long sleeves. Its never really been a big deal!
  • LosinItAll2012
    LosinItAll2012 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I work in a Government office.

I have my nose pierced, and always wear my stud.

I also have a tattoo on my chest, which is visible with V-neck tops, that I most often wear... I also have one on my ankle that is visible when I wear skirts and capris. I have never been told to cover up.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    This is becoming a thing of the past.

I work in an office and have to interact with other professionals, bankers, even CEO's of large companies and have never been asked to cover my tattoos. One of the VP's of one of our largest vendors has a large tattoo on her leg that I've seen.

Most retail places allow tattoos and piercings without exception.

Common sense is all that is needed. You can still look well put together and professional with tattoos, you can still look like a bum without them.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I have some very uptight clients, in very uptight fields. I have several tattoos, and more planned, but they will always be able to be hidden.

And, because Mom. She scares me too.
  • Llyrian
    Llyrian Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Some places do indeed discriminate, but not all. I work for a web development company that is very casual in terms of dress. I have a lot of tattoos, dyed hair and a lip ring. No one cares. However, if I worked in the PR department of the company I would not be able to get away with the same look, as they are all about appearance.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Over the fullness of time, I will have lots. But because I work in a white collar public facing job, they will stop below my collar, and above my wrists.

I am very excited about my body art, but I'm not stupid.

I like being able to further my chosen career, more than I need face or hand tattoos. I can fully express myself on all the other areas of my body that will not limit my career.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I show mine (back, thigh, ankle) at work in the summer. No one has ever said anything. If they asked me to cover them, I would.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone -

Just curious as to how many people on here have tattoos. What do you do for a living and do your tattoos affect how you are treated/perceived in the workplace? Do you have to hide them, or are they out in the open? Do you think you've ever been discriminated against because of your ink?

I work in an office as an insurance analyst and no one in our office is allowed to have any ink showing. If they are in places that cannot be covered, we are required to cover them with bandages. I have 4, but they are all in places that are covered with work attire or anything other than a bikini.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I think some places discriminate.

It's their company, they can call the shots. You may call it discrimnation. I call it the right to hire who they want and your right to work there if you so choose.

I agree with Maximus
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have 5 tattoos, including one on each wrist that are almost always visible, and a pierced nose. As a software developer nobody cares at all about my tattoos. Two of our sysadmins have full sleeves, one also has his hands tattooed and the other has tattoos on his shaved head.

Working in software you're so in demand nobody cares what you look like as long as you can wrangle networks or crank out sensible, well-tested code.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I think it depends heavily on your field of work. In my workplace, we keep tattoos covered up. It's a professional government office.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options

It's their company, they can call the shots. You may call it discrimnation. I call it the right to hire who they want and your right to work there if you so choose.
    I'm not sure discrimination laws agree with you. I suppose it depends where you live, but almost anywhere in Canada and the US you'd have a reasonable lawsuit on your hands in virtually all professions.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options

I agree with Maximus

Yeah me too, it's just not discrimination.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options

but what you call it is so many more words
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I have two tattoos...neither are visible when I am clothed. Visible tattoos would not be appropriate at either the CPA firm that I used to work for or my current place of employment. Both are professional environments and require interaction and a considerable amount of face time with clients...clients who are paying big bucks for professionalism.
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    I work in an advertising agency.

I have two amazing bosses that completely care less about my tattoos or piercings.

I have two face dermals

They look like this:

Img267_MD_face.jpg (Two on the right side, on the side of my face).

I also have 7 tattoos that can be visibly seen & shown when I do not wear long sleeves or pants.

To me it's up to the boss & the profession. You can't walk into a medical office & expect to get a job with your face, neck and hands tattooed. Is it right people discriminate and judge before they get to know you? Sure, of course it is. Is it a natural reaction that most people have? Absolutely.

Think before you get tattooed. The long term consequences will always follow you. Like my dermal piercings which I'm getting removed soon (bored of them, had them for almost two years now). Which I watched my wife get hers removed and it made me cringe hard. :/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

I'm not sure discrimination laws agree with you. I suppose it depends where you live, but almost anywhere in Canada and the US you'd have a reasonable lawsuit on your hands in virtually all professions.

Actually, you wouldn't.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm a professional, but have plenty of visible ink. Boss just asks that I wear long sleeves to cover it up when doing presentations, which isn't a problem because I prefer long sleeve dress shirts. To me, it's art..some people hang it in their house, some people wear it on their skin. I think it's also becoming more socially acceptable as the new generations are replacing the older (no offense) in owner and supervisory roles.