Tattoo acceptance in the work place?

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I think some places discriminate.

It's their company, they can call the shots. You may call it discrimnation. I call it the right to hire who they want and your right to work there if you so choose.

I agree with Maximus

Yep. I have 2 tats and my navel pierced. I used to have my nose pierced, but had to take it out for my workplace (hospital). I didn't object because it's their policy, and about the appearance for the patient. If I choose to keep a visible piercing or get a visible tat, I can find a job where that's acceptable.
  • richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm in the healthcare field but it's a casual environment, and several co-workers also have tattoos, including my current and former assistant manager. I also have a nose piercing and regularly wear a stud. It's never been a problem.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't hire a tattooed person for my company, I feel it sends the wrong image.

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kinesiology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • insomnical
    insomnical Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've had my lip pierced since September of 2012 and it's never been an issue. I have a tattoo on my chest that shows with tank tops/v-neck shirts, but it's never an issue. Most people don't really know what it is or think it's nifty, even though it's not finished yet.

I will have to wear a clear stud when I begin working on an ambulance/on call next year.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

It's their company, they can call the shots. You may call it discrimnation. I call it the right to hire who they want and your right to work there if you so choose.

So according to this, a company can decide to not hire African Americans and that's not discrimnation?
    Uh...no. Race is protected class. Body art is not.

It's still discrimination. To not hire or not promote someone based only on looks is discrimination. It may not be something you could sue someone over but you are discriminating when you say Those with tattoos need not apply.
    Sure it's discrimination, but you're comparing it to racism which is on a completely different level.

You discriminate when you choose your friends. Does that make you a bigot?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

So according to this, a company can decide to not hire African Americans and that's not discrimnation?

It's still discrimination. To not hire or not promote someone based only on looks is discrimination. It may not be something you could sue someone over but you are discriminating when you say Those with tattoos need not apply.

Nope. Discrimination is based on whether the person has a choice to appear the way they do. A person can't choose their race, gender or sexual orientation, age, etc. They can choose a hairstyle, piercing, or tattoo. It's the same issue that came up with the smoking ban. that's not discrimination either, because a person makes a choice to smoke.
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I work in HR in the healthcare field. We do not allow visible tattoos and here's why . .
    In healthcare, everything is centered on patient comfort and easing their anxiety. The atmosphere needs to be calm. If a patient interprets tattoos as gang signs, overt relgious statements, etc it can make them anxious.
    You can cover your hand tattoos with bandages, but that makes thorough hand washing difficult.
    So be aware, if you plan to work in healthcare, put your tattoos in easily covered areas. This will likely change in the future, but for now that's the reality in healthcare.

We also don't allow visible body piercings other than very small earrings in patient care areas. All jewelry can harbor bacteria. If you work in patient care, you won't be allowed to even wear bracelets. Even those of us in offices have to be careful. You can carry bacteria OUT of the hospital and into your home on a ring!
  • warriorknight
    Options
    My work are cool with mine (2 sleeves among others). But I do keep them covered up when I meet with clients or suppliers, as you can never tell how they might react, and I dont want to lose out on business based my personal choices.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't hire a tattooed person for my company, I feel it sends the wrong image.

Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kinesiology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
    I wouldn't work for you anyway.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options

Don't be silly. Race is protected. If you wish to have tattoos fine but take into account that not everyone like your choice in body art. the same way not everyone wont like your choice in clothes. In a lot of jobs you wear a uniform to portray an image covering up body art may also be part of that image. I find it rather pathetic that people want to compare themselves with the fight for racial equality because they are asked to cover up some tattoos.

Not saying tattoos are equal to race equality. Tattoos are a choice that you have to live with. Race is not something you have any choice in. But there is only one word to adequately describe not hiring people with tattoos because you don't like tattoos and that word is discrimination.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    The two I have are usually covered by clothing. I don't know that I'd ever get one that was readily visible.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have 20 plus tattoos and work in a very professional environment. I am the Executive Assistant at an IT company here in California. It's a small company so while primarily I am the "assistant" I also handle all the Receptionist duties and Office Manager duties. My tattoo's are NEVER visible at work and the owner's have made it apparent it's not acceptable but I work with it. Luckily I'm in an air conditioned office so I don't mind that I have to wear long sleeves year round. I have been discriminated against since I first got tattoos, but I hardly even notice it anymore.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

No it's not...

I would not hire someone with visible tattoos/tattoos that couldn't be covered up...not based on the tattoos themselves or the way someone looked...but because visible tattoos would be completely and utterly inappropriate in my field and having to deal with multi-million and billion dollar clients who expect professionalism, suits and ties, etc. It is a professional business setting.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    While my two are typically covered, I work as an engineer in the construction industry so I work with a lot of people with tattoos, especially our hourly employees. Face tattoos and neck tattoos are about the only thing I could see anyone having issues with in my company.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Sure it's discrimination, but you're comparing it to racism which is on a completely different level.

You discriminate when you choose your friends. Does that make you a bigot?

completely agree. I love tattoos, and I like seeing people with them. But I wouldn't employ people with ink that they couldn't cover. That's my choice, because I can decide what image I want my staff to give out. Ink is divisive. No ink is not.

No-one ever refused to let me sell their house because I didn't have tattoos on my hands or face. If someone interviewed with me and tried to sue me for not employing them because they had visible tattoos, I would very happily see them in court (And I would win)
  • SexKittenlovesitrough
    Options

they aren't saying you can't apply...

they are saying you can apply and you will get the job based on your qualifications but you will cover up to project a professional atmosphere...

tattoos don't prevent you from GETTING a job...no one EVER said that...but they can ask you to be discreet with them...THAT is not alienating your rights...you can have them...no one will say you can't have them...

but you may be asked to cover them...at that point...you choose...work for them or no.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

I wouldn't work for you anyway.

I'm just saying that I would want my clients to feel safe in my work environment.