Tattoo acceptance in the work place?

Options

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Tattoo's IMO look dirty and a complete turn off.

I was in a fish and chips place where the cooks serve you and this guy had some gross tattoo on the top of his hand. Needless to say, I haven't gone back there.

If you are working with the public - cover them up not everyone shares your views thinking they are art or attractive.

You must get to spend a lot of time indoors and alone based on your logic.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I think some places discriminate.

It's their company, they can call the shots. You may call it discrimnation. I call it the right to hire who they want and your right to work there if you so choose.

So according to this, a company can decide to not hire African Americans and that's not discrimnation?
    Don't be silly. Race is protected. If you wish to have tattoos fine but take into account that not everyone like your choice in body art. the same way not everyone wont like your choice in clothes. In a lot of jobs you wear a uniform to portray an image covering up body art may also be part of that image. I find it rather pathetic that people want to compare themselves with the fight for racial equality because they are asked to cover up some tattoos.

Not saying tattoos are equal to race equality. Tattoos are a choice that you have to live with. Race is not something you have any choice in. But there is only one word to adequately describe not hiring people with tattoos because you don't like tattoos and that word is discrimination.

Has nothing to do with "not liking tattoos", the person doing the hiring could love tattoos but if the ones you have could have a negative impact on the business you should not be hired there.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Im in the Air Force and I have 4 of them....only one that shows is my wrist

I work at Special Ops HQ in Tampa....and we have a lot of civilians decked out with full sleeves and half sleeves....im kind of jealous cause I want a half sleeve so bad....but undecided on what i want
  • romanaXOX
    romanaXOX Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

No it's not...

I would not hire someone with visible tattoos/tattoos that couldn't be covered up...not based on the tattoos themselves or the way someone looked...but because visible tattoos would be completely and utterly inappropriate in my field and having to deal with multi-million and billion dollar clients who expect professionalism, suits and ties, etc. It is a professional business setting.
    [/quote][\quote]

I can still wear a suit and tie despite the fact I have a tattoo. When they are fresh they can be kind of sensitive so some clothing that might be irritating. but other than that, they've literally NEVER gotten in the way of me being able to wear professional clothing.

The fact is, you can just and discriminate whomever you choose when it's your company. but it's really YOU that is getting the biggest disservice because YOU are being limited in the talent that could be a part of your organization.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    I wouldn't hire a tattooed person for my company, I feel it sends the wrong image.

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kinesiology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
    I wouldn't work for you anyway.

jimmies officially rustled.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options

It's their company, they can call the shots. You may call it discrimnation. I call it the right to hire who they want and your right to work there if you so choose.

I agree with this. I also have tattoos, but they are in places that are covered. I work in a hospital and if you have a tattoo that shows you have to cover it. It's the rules not discrimination.
  • JeremyMerrin
    JeremyMerrin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people are getting hung up on the word discrimination. You can discriminate against people for having ink, hell as far as I know you can discriminate against people for being fat. It's not against the law to discriminate against some things, only certain areas are protected under the law.
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

I was in a fish and chips place where the cooks serve you and this guy had some gross tattoo on the top of his hand. Needless to say, I haven't gone back there.

If you are working with the public - cover them up not everyone shares your views thinking they are art or attractive.

Because I don't share your view? How little of you....
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options

No it's not...

I would not hire someone with visible tattoos/tattoos that couldn't be covered up...not based on the tattoos themselves or the way someone looked...but because visible tattoos would be completely and utterly inappropriate in my field and having to deal with multi-million and billion dollar clients who expect professionalism, suits and ties, etc. It is a professional business setting.
    [/quote][\quote]

I can still wear a suit and tie despite the fact I have a tattoo. When they are fresh they can be kind of sensitive so some clothing that might be irritating. but other than that, they've literally NEVER gotten in the way of me being able to wear professional clothing.

The fact is, you can just and discriminate whomever you choose when it's your company. but it's really YOU that is getting the biggest disservice because YOU are being limited in the talent that could be a part of your organization.
    [/quote]

I don't know where you live, but here in the UK, there is a problem with unemployment. There are multiple people for every vacancy, and people desperate to work. I have no problem with anyone that has tattoos anywhere on them, I think it's great, express yourself how you want. But if you interview with me and you have a tattoo on your neck, that cannot be covered, you will not get the job. And I am confident that I am not 'limiting the talent' there are plenty of people with enough common sense to get their tattoos in sensible places if they want to work with the public!

It's common sense, no matter how old fashioned or out of touch YOU might think it is.....they (and I, as an employer) couldn't care less what you think!!
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    When I applied for my job, I had my hair down during the interview. They loved me! everything was perfect. I was basically hired.

They handed me their uniform policy booklet so I would know what to wear when I had my first day and it stated that no employees could have visible tattoos. My tattoo is on my neck and during daily life when my hair is down you would never know that it exists. However since I work in a restaurant setting my hair is always tied up. I had to meet with the GM, the head of HR, have them contact head office and ask for an exception all because of an image of a shooting star.

The frustrating thing is that I could tell that they themselves didn't believe in the policy them selves. It was a rule that someone made sitting at head office somewhere, that doesn't understand just how much of the hiring pool they could really be eliminating.

In past jobs, my tattoos have been a conversation piece and a way to connect with guests in the restaurant if THEY chose to bring it up. And never has anyone ever been offended by a shooting star.

You're not getting it. Has nothing to do with where someone is sitting that makes the rules, or the people working at the branch. It has to do with that company's rules and the image they want to portray.

There are tons of waiter jobs out there and lots don't care about tats. I suggest you find one of those.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

but it's not little of you to unilaterally say all tatoos are dirty? I keep mine covered at work but will let them show in public. both of them have a lot of meaning to me, and I thought long and hard before getting either of them. It's pretty insulting to hear someone call them "dirty".
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

So according to this, a company can decide to not hire African Americans and that's not discrimnation?
    Don't be silly. Race is protected. If you wish to have tattoos fine but take into account that not everyone like your choice in body art. the same way not everyone wont like your choice in clothes. In a lot of jobs you wear a uniform to portray an image covering up body art may also be part of that image. I find it rather pathetic that people want to compare themselves with the fight for racial equality because they are asked to cover up some tattoos.

Not saying tattoos are equal to race equality. Tattoos are a choice that you have to live with. Race is not something you have any choice in. But there is only one word to adequately describe not hiring people with tattoos because you don't like tattoos and that word is discrimination.

What happens when those tattoos are related to race, religion and culture? For example, maori face tattoos. At that point discriminating against the ink is also racial discrimination.

In the hiring process people are eliminated for ;loads of reasons and i can guarantee a facial tattoo will be the kiss of death at virtually every mainstream job, maori or not. There are just a set of professional business standards you have to live with sometimes (it cost me a few jobs as a youth - then i just lived with the fact that if I wanted a certain jobs I'd have to live with not wearing my earrings at work (No tats mainly because I have never really found one I want, though I do like well done ones. and I'd have to tone down the hair (So no showing up with a huge purple black quiff like I had for a while for instance)
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm a designer. Our field would be barren if we banned outlandish appearances.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people are getting hung up on the word discrimination. You can discriminate against people for having ink, hell as far as I know you can discriminate against people for being fat. It's not against the law to discriminate against some things, only certain areas are protected under the law.

+1
    What I have been attempting to say but not finding the right way to do it.
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

but it's not little of you to unilaterally say all tatoos are dirty? I keep mine covered at work but will let them show in public. both of them have a lot of meaning to me, and I thought long and hard before getting either of them. It's pretty insulting to hear someone call them "dirty".

Sigh... there's a difference between insulting someone and saying something looks dirty.
    One is an option on an object and one is an attack at a person.

Sorry about your life choices. Not everyone appreciates your free spirit decisions. (see, that was an insult)
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of ink, working on 2 half sleeves myself. However, in my career, having a visible tattoo could occasionally present an issue, whether I like it or not. For that reason, I choose not to get a tattoo in a location that cannot be hidden under my suit.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

You essentially called me dirty. If that doesn't scream little, I don't know what does.

If you're going to stay out of every establishment for fear of someone having a tattoo, well, you're going to spend a lot of time at home with your hands in your pants.
  • moosegt35
    Options

He didn't say all tattoos are dirty, he said "Tattoos IN MY OPINION look dirty" in which he is entitled to.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of ink, working on 2 half sleeves myself. However, in my career, having a visible tattoo could occasionally present an issue, whether I like it or not. For that reason, I choose not to get a tattoo in a location that cannot be hidden under my suit.

Common sense. That's all it takes!
  • romanaXOX
    romanaXOX Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    THIS IS ACTUALLY HILARIOUS!!!

You must never eat in restaurants???

I can honestly say at least 75% of chefs have tattoos. So even if you can't' SEE them.... they're THERE!!

That includes fine dining. Comfort food. Ethnic. Everything!

Are you going to check the back of every place you go to?