Tattoo acceptance in the work place?

Options

Replies

• Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    The phrase 'my ink' turns me off way before I see the tattoo.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I don't have tattoos. I work with people who have them. The only connection I see between quality of work and tattoos is that idiots' tattoos are frequently badly-designed and of poor quality.

So I kind of like tattoos in the workplace. They're an early warning system. "Oh, you have a homemade Human Centipede across the tops of both of your feet! No, never mind, I won't need this code tested today."

THIS!!! OMG!! SOOOOO THIS!!!!!

See, BAD tattoos DO say something about the person (especially if that tattoo is readily visible)...
    It implies impulsiveness and / or bad decision making.

I have ZERO problem with good tattoos, especially those that can be covered. But if you have a bad tatt (again, especially readily visible),
    PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS DECENT IN THIS WORLD... MAKE GETTING THAT TRASH FIXED A PRIORITY!!!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    mccindy72-I also have a tattoo regarding a medical issue. I work as a cashier at whole foods and customers always love reading my tattoo. it says epilepsy messed with the wrong chick. has a baby chick under the words. they love that im not embarrassed and that it's ok to have it. sorry about your brain tumor. that's much worse than mine, but I can relate tattoo wise.
    [/quote

:flowerforyou: :heart: ]
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Tattoo's IMO look dirty and a complete turn off.

I was in a fish and chips place where the cooks serve you and this guy had some gross tattoo on the top of his hand. Needless to say, I haven't gone back there.

If you are working with the public - cover them up not everyone shares your views thinking they are art or attractive.

You must get to spend a lot of time indoors and alone based on your logic.

Because I don't share your view? How little of you....

Because you think tattoos are dirty. That's why. There is no amount of bacterial handwash that will get rid of idiot.

+1
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    This is a legit question. If you have tatoos, can you get MRI's? I had an MRI recently and they asked me about that.

Yes you can.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Tattoo's IMO look dirty and a complete turn off.

I was in a fish and chips place where the cooks serve you and this guy had some gross tattoo on the top of his hand. Needless to say, I haven't gone back there.

If you are working with the public - cover them up not everyone shares your views thinking they are art or attractive.

You must get to spend a lot of time indoors and alone based on your logic.

Because I don't share your view? How little of you....
    but it's not little of you to unilaterally say all tatoos are dirty? I keep mine covered at work but will let them show in public. both of them have a lot of meaning to me, and I thought long and hard before getting either of them. It's pretty insulting to hear someone call them "dirty".

I agree with mccindy. All three of my tattoos have a huge significance and for you to call them "dirty" is rude and disrespectful. You don't know the meaning behind a person's tattoo(s). To not like tattoos is one thing, but to call them dirty is another.
  • dbmata
    Options
    If someone applies for work and I see a tattoo or earring they don't get hired, period. My company and my rules. If you have tats located where normal dress has them covered thats fine.

Oh that reminds me of another point. I have decided not to hire artists and designers before due to a lack of tattoos. In those cases (I can think of three right now) I had a group of interviewed folks that were almost exactly equal in every way. So I'd go with the ones that had tattoos (or admitted to having them.)

Every time I did that, it ended up being an excellent decision.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    The comments are all so interesting. I work with law enforcement and tattoos are huge - both male and female alike. Lots of full sleeves, wrists, very visible. I totally get that they may not be acceptable everywhere and would never take that personally - unless someone is judging my character - that's just small minded.

Yep. I understand an employer's right to set their dress code.

Judging character based on tattoos is just plain ignorant.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    If someone applies for work and I see a tattoo or earring they don't get hired, period. My company and my rules. If you have tats located where normal dress has them covered thats fine.

Oh that reminds me of another point. I have decided not to hire artists and designers before due to a lack of tattoos. In those cases (I can think of three right now) I had a group of interviewed folks that were almost exactly equal in every way. So I'd go with the ones that had tattoos (or admitted to having them.)

so how exactly did you evaluate the performance of someone you DIDN'T hire?
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    I have 13 and mine are very visible. I have been at the same place for 7 years and it's completely accepted. When I first started a was slightly nervous but times have changed and I think a lot of businesses now look past that and look at your qualities and you as a person.

:flowerforyou:
  • dbmata
    Options
    I don't know of any religion, race or culture of whose members are likely to be interviewing at my estate agency in Surrey, just outside of London, where visible (with business dress) tattoos are forced upon them, or compulsory in some way.. Unless you would like to enlighten me.....

As bland as London may be, you can't see a situation where someone from a region where it is cultural would move there and may have the gall to interview?

If you can't imagine something so common and simple, it would be well nigh impossible for me to elucidate the situation for you any further. I would think a member of the empire would understand that there may be others present within the borders.
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I have tons of tattoos & piercings. I work for an artist, creativity is encouraged in my workplace. As a matter of fact, the last tattoo I got, my previous tattoo artist (whom I hadn't seen in many years!) was visiting here in California about 4 hours away from me. When I expressed my desire to take the day off and go get a tattoo my boss was very supportive and even gave me a bunch of art pieces to deliver to galleries in the area so that my trip & tattoo were paid for! :drinker:
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any religion, race or culture of whose members are likely to be interviewing at my estate agency in Surrey, just outside of London, where visible (with business dress) tattoos are forced upon them, or compulsory in some way.. Unless you would like to enlighten me.....

As bland as London may be, you can't see a situation where someone from a region where it is cultural would move there and may have the gall to interview?

If you can't imagine something so common and simple, it would be well nigh impossible for me to elucidate the situation for you any further. I would think a member of the empire would understand that there may be others present within the borders.

Hipsters? Seems they require protection of the Human Rights Act to just live and work judging from here.

Seriously, some jobs have conservative dress codes, others don't. Let each get on with it. Why is this even an argument?
  • dbmata
    Options

so how exactly did you evaluate the performance of someone you DIDN'T hire?

Not relevant. They come, show their portfolio, and in this case, it was as good as others. One of those others had great tattoos, which in turn means a great dedication to an appreciation for art. I then turned that hiring into money.

Done. It's simple.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I am the HR rep at a nursing home. Our dress code states: "Tattoos that are visible shall not be offensive and must keep within a professional image."

I just got my first tattoo last week, which I chose to put on my inner bicep so that if need be, it can be hidden, although it is just my kids' first initials and their birthdates.

Because of the clientele we worth with (elderly and those here for rehab after a surgery or injury), we do maintain that professional image and I am glad we do still allow tattoos to be shown (as a lot of our staff do have them, given most of those we hire are between ages 20 - 45), as long as they aren't offensive. I think that's fair.

Times are changing. Working in this field, I can say that as those who are of "this generation" and younger are more accepting of tattoos and as we are the ones moving into leadership roles, one could say it's a culture change.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Face_tattoo.jpg

As hot as I think that is ^^^, she's not representing my company in the board room trying to close a deal with a multi-billion dollar bank client. It would be completely in-appropriate in my line of work and a great many business environments.

I'm not sure what so many people here don't seem to get about that..but then again, the ones that don't get it are obviously the ones inking themselves in places that can't be covered and then crying foul and "discrimination".
  • dbmata
    Options
    Damn that's hot.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think some places discriminate.

It's their company, they can call the shots. You may call it discrimnation. I call it the right to hire who they want and your right to work there if you so choose.

I work with expert witnesses that testify in court. One has a wrist tattoo that she covers with a large watch and an ankle tattoo but wears long pants when testifying, another has a tattoo between her shoulder blades but always wears suit jackets when she takes the stand so it never shows. One of my front office staff has a back tattoo that rarely shows as long as she is dressed professionally. I have no issues with a small nasal stud but have had to request that the chain that goes between the nose and ear be detached during business hours.

I had more of an issue with a former employee what would wear brightly colored see through shirts with black demi bras that tended to incredibly tight with significant spillage when attorneys showed up. She doesn't work here anymore but the two with the tattoos do.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Face_tattoo.jpg

As hot as I think that is ^^^, she's not representing my company in the board room trying to close a deal with a multi-billion dollar bank client. It would be completely in-appropriate in my line of work and a great many business environments.

I'm not sure what so many people here don't seem to get about that..but then again, the ones that don't get it are obviously the ones inking themselves in places that can't be covered and then crying foul and "discrimination".

Put her in a pants suit with a scarf and let her grow her bangs out and you would never see her tattoos. She could be a huge asset to your company!

ETA: All my tattoos can easily be hidden. All are on my legs and back. It still is discrimination to not hire someone because they have tattoos.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    A Tattoo is a choice, so is Hiring or Not Hiring someone.

You can't make a choice and then force me to accept it, BUT you do have to live with the consequences of your choice.