Tattoo acceptance in the work place?

Options

Replies

• moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    The comments are all so interesting. I work with law enforcement and tattoos are huge - both male and female alike. Lots of full sleeves, wrists, very visible. I totally get that they may not be acceptable everywhere and would never take that personally - unless someone is judging my character - that's just small minded.

Yep. I understand an employer's right to set their dress code.

Judging character based on tattoos is just plain ignorant.

Not always. Sometimes it's pretty easy. For example see 1st and 3rd tattoo. Pretty easy to judge their character by their ink.

http://awfulink.com/

First off, you wouldn't see the first tattoo unless the person's pants were down.

You're being a bit dramatic and unrealistic with your choice of tattoos to show.

Judging someone's character based on their tattoos is ignorant. Plain and simple.

Yes, someone small-minded will find it easy to judge someone with a stupid tattoo on their *kitten* or face.

The smarter person knows that a tattoo doesn't define a person's character and knows that the tattoos on the link you provided are probably 1) photoshopped or 2) fake. Don't believe everything you see on the internet :smile:

So it's ignorant to judge the character of someone who has gang tats, a swastika on their forehead or a tat that says "f@%K the police" across their chest? What about the woman that has a screaming baby tatted across her private regions? Yes, all these bad tattoos on the internet are fake or photoshopped. ROFL, what world do you live in?

Who are you to judge what another individual puts on THEIR body?

Once again, you don't know the message or reasoning behind it. Nor is it any of your business, really.

Can't argue with that, they just wouldn't work for me so my "business" wouldn't be any of their "business". You must have some type or horrible tattoo to be this defensive of horrible tattoos.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    How disgusting is my friend Trevor?

559679_604173249605569_1676411222_n.jpg

Pretty disgusting by some of you life of the party type people......

Also before you guys go on a tangent about "good luck getting a job" he's a full time tattoo artist & touring musician.

We need an ink appreciation thread. ON TO A NEW THREAD MY FRIENDS...

i like this ^^^^^ its narrow minded and old fashioned saying you could'nt have a professional carer because you have tattoo's.. times have changed an attitudes need to aswell.

my daughter is a tattoo artist and she doesn't have any but she loves them. I have another relative who is a professional model because she is covered in tattoos.

Once again, the guy is a TATTOO artist. Of course he can get a job being covered in tattoos. Tattoo artist isn't what I would call a "professional" career. It's not a bad career and by all means if thats what you like and are good at then more power to ya but when someone says professional career that is not what they are talking about.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    The comments are all so interesting. I work with law enforcement and tattoos are huge - both male and female alike. Lots of full sleeves, wrists, very visible. I totally get that they may not be acceptable everywhere and would never take that personally - unless someone is judging my character - that's just small minded.

Not always. Sometimes it's pretty easy. For example see 1st and 3rd tattoo. Pretty easy to judge their character by their ink.

First off, you wouldn't see the first tattoo unless the person's pants were down.

You're being a bit dramatic and unrealistic with your choice of tattoos to show.

Judging someone's character based on their tattoos is ignorant. Plain and simple.

Yes, someone small-minded will find it easy to judge someone with a stupid tattoo on their *kitten* or face.

The smarter person knows that a tattoo doesn't define a person's character and knows that the tattoos on the link you provided are probably 1) photoshopped or 2) fake. Don't believe everything you see on the internet :smile:

So it's ignorant to judge the character of someone who has gang tats, a swastika on their forehead or a tat that says "f@%K the police" across their chest? What about the woman that has a screaming baby tatted across her private regions? Yes, all these bad tattoos on the internet are fake or photoshopped. ROFL, what world do you live in?

Once again, you don't know the message or reasoning behind it. Nor is it any of your business, really.

I don't need to know a message or reasoning behind artwork on someone's body that is offensive or obviously done without thought.
    By virtue of them putting it in my line of sight, then applying for a job where I'm hiring, they have made it my business.

Don't want me to judge your tat? Cover it.

IN YOUR OPINION it was done without thought.

What's offensive to you may not be offensive to another person. And vice versa.

The majority of people do not have gang signs, swastikas, and "**** the police" tattooed on themselves. Tattoos like that are clearly not appropriate.

Saying that a tattoo of a shooting star on the back of someone's neck or a flower on someone's ankle is offensive is just beyond ridiculous.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Folks.. this is simple.
    Some people get tats in discreet places where only a very select few will ever see it.
    The hiring manager will probably never ever see it so, there is no discussion to be had.
    Others will get full sleaves, neck and ankle, and even the teardrop.
    They get those to make some kind of a statement.
    As a hiring manager, I might disagree with the statement or even the "volume" of the statement.
    I would not hire someone with a Swatztika flag on the forearm nor would I hire someone with a gay pride flag on the forearm.
    Both tell me that this particular individual is very vocal about their beliefs and I don't want that in my workplace.
  • moosegt35
    Options

I don't need to know a message or reasoning behind artwork on someone's body that is offensive or obviously done without thought.
    By virtue of them putting it in my line of sight, then applying for a job where I'm hiring, they have made it my business.

The majority of people do not have gang signs, swastikas, and "**** the police" tattooed on themselves. Tattoos like that are clearly not appropriate.

Saying that a tattoo of a shooting star on the back of someone's neck or a flower on someone's ankle is offensive is just beyond ridiculous.

Oh, well no one said that so I will add to your excellent "point", I am wearing black shoes.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Naw, I am a pretty good judge of a tattoo done without thought. I can pretty much tell when someone got drunk or stoned and allowed some hack to draw like a third grader on his or her skin.
    I may not be a professional art critic, but when I see wiggly lines and I have to try really hard to figure out WTH it is, it's a mistake tat.
    Want a tat? Okay. It's going to be on you forever. Do your homework and pay for quality.
  • moosegt35
    Options

Naw, I am a pretty good judge of a tattoo done without thought. I can pretty much tell when someone got drunk or stoned and allowed some hack to draw like a third grader on his or her skin.
    I may not be a professional art critic, but when I see wiggly lines and I have to try really hard to figure out WTH it is, it's a mistake tat.
    Want a tat? Okay. It's going to be on you forever. Do your homework and pay for quality.

get out of here with your common sense and logic. MFP has no place for it.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Can't argue with that, they just wouldn't work for me so my "business" wouldn't be any of their "business". You must have some type or horrible tattoo to be this defensive of horrible tattoos.

Ya, the three doves on the side of my hip in memory of my brother are HORRIBLE. Same with the cross on the back of my neck with "fearless" written in cursive underneath in memory of my Papa who passed away from pancreatic cancer on Father's Day last year. If you aren't familiar with pancreatic cancer, it's one of the most deadly cancers. Most patients are given 6 months to live at diagnosis. Some won't make it past 2 weeks. I cared for him day in and day out for those 5 months he lived after he was diagnosed as advanced stage. I watched him wither away physically (175 lbs to 87 lbs at death), emotionally, and mentally each day. I told him every day it was okay for him to go, but he kept holding on… for St Patty's day, for Easter, for my 20th birthday, for his birthday, and for Father's Day. So forgive me for getting HORRIBLE tattoos to honor two of the most influential people in my life.
  • jclist1
    jclist1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have two tattoos and they are required by my job to be covered at ALL times. I am a corporate pilot, and although I have never been discriminated by my tattoos, I also am very aware at what the requirements are. I am in an industry where tattoos are just not seen as professional.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I think some places discriminate.

It's their company, they can call the shots. You may call it discrimnation. I call it the right to hire who they want and your right to work there if you so choose.
    I'm not sure discrimination laws agree with you. I suppose it depends where you live, but almost anywhere in Canada and the US you'd have a reasonable lawsuit on your hands in virtually all professions.

Actually, you wouldn't.

Actually...http://www.mondaq.com/canada/x/219018/employment+litigation+tribunals/Can+An+Employer+Prohibit+Visible+Tattoos+And+Piercings+In+The+Workplace
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Ya, the three doves on the side of my hip in memory of my brother are HORRIBLE. Same with the cross on the back of my neck with "fearless" written in cursive underneath in memory of my Papa who passed away from pancreatic cancer on Father's Day last year. If you aren't familiar with pancreatic cancer, it's one of the most deadly cancers. Most patients are given 6 months to live at diagnosis. Some won't make it past 2 weeks. I cared for him day in and day out for those 5 months he lived after he was diagnosed as advanced stage. I watched him wither away physically (175 lbs to 87 lbs at death), emotionally, and mentally each day. I told him every day it was okay for him to go, but he kept holding on… for St Patty's day, for Easter, for my 20th birthday, for his birthday, and for Father's Day. So forgive me for getting HORRIBLE tattoos to honor two of the most influential people in my life.

Loss happens and I'm sorry for yours.

You should probably pursue employment in places that don't require that tattoos be covered or that you can get a waiver for your visible ones.
  • moosegt35
    Options

I am very sorry to hear all of that. However, no one has said anything about those types of tattoos being HORRIBLE other than you. I said I wouldn't hire someone with distasteful tats in areas that can't be covered. So I have no idea where all of this rambling is coming from.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Loss happens and I'm sorry for yours.

You should probably pursue employment in places that don't require that tattoos be covered or that you can get a waiver for your visible ones.

I don't have visible tattoos. The one on my ribs and hip are covered all the time. The one on the back of my neck is also covered because I wear my hair down most of the time except when working out.

I've had tattoos for 3+ years and only my mom, dad, brother, sister, and friends know about them and have seen them.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

I am very sorry to hear all of that. However, no one has said anything about those types of tattoos being HORRIBLE other than you. I said I wouldn't hire someone with distasteful tats in areas that can't be covered. So I have no idea where all of this rambling is coming from.

You never asked what kind of tattoos I had. You just ASSUMED that I had horrible tattoos because I was defending people with horrible tattoos.
  • moosegt35
    Options

You never asked what kind of tattoos I had. You just ASSUMED that I had horrible tattoos because I was defending people with horrible tattoos.

Correct, I did assume you had something horrible to be defending people with horrible tattoos. So once again, you think it would be a wise decision to hire someone to a professional position that has some kind of gang related, obsene, vulgar or just straight up stupid tattoo on their face, forehead or somewhere else that can't be covered? If so please stay away from the business world because you are clueless on how it works.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    My workplace is pretty good when it comes to tattoos. And that I also have a mohawk. It did however create a stir when I went over to our sales event in Texas, where all the board members attended and had never seen me before. Made for some interesting conversations.

I'm guessing it wasn't in Austin. :laugh:
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    My workplace is pretty good when it comes to tattoos. And that I also have a mohawk. It did however create a stir when I went over to our sales event in Texas, where all the board members attended and had never seen me before. Made for some interesting conversations.

Actually, it was in Austin.

And you caused a stir? Interesting....
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Actually, it was in Austin.

Now, that's ironic. :laugh: