Tattoo acceptance in the work place?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options

Apparently it's quite a conservative company. I was going to dye it red, white and blue, but my manager told me it would be best not to.

I'm sure that would've been pretty awesome, but best not to rustle the natives :smile:
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    This thread just goes to show how you can piss on & off elderly, closed-minded idiots really quick.
  • crimsonandclovers
    Options
    i have 7 tattoos so far. one on my hip, one very large one on my thigh, one small on my arm & 4 on my hands. my workplace hates them & wants me to cover them up, but seeing as the majority are on my hands, they can't do bugger all unless they make me wear gloves, which as a sales consultant, that would look rather stupid!
  • phuckingbadasscutie
    phuckingbadasscutie Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I have my nose pierced and 7 tattoos of which 6 would be visible if I didn't cover them. I work in a retail clothing store and in the healthcare field. I've never been asked by any mangers to cover them but I also know if I'm presenting something in front of a bunch of drs at a meeting that I should dress the part.
  • rosepetal325
    rosepetal325 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have 2 tattoos, but they're in places that are hidden when clothed. I did this because I worked in an office setting for a number of years & visible tattoos were a no-no. My coworkers knew & didn't care, it was just a corporate rule.

Now I'm at a retail hardware store & it appears they're okay about the tattoos. I have quite a few coworkers with visible ones & it seems to be no big deal as long as it's not massive or offensive. I think you can't have any visible if you are management though. Head/facial piercings are another matter. Any other than ears are not acceptable on anyone.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    This thread just goes to show how you can piss on & off elderly, closed-minded idiots really quick.

you got pissed on & off?
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    i have 7 tattoos so far. one on my hip, one very large one on my thigh, one small on my arm & 4 on my hands. my workplace hates them & wants me to cover them up, but seeing as the majority are on my hands, they can't do bugger all unless they make me wear gloves, which as a sales consultant, that would look rather stupid!

Or they can fire you.
  • ContessNicoleDuLancre
    Options
    I have 5 tattoos and 2 or 3, depending on what I'm wearing, are visible. (The ones on my lower arms tend to show unless I'm wearing long sleeves.) I've been with my employer for 11 years now and they're a bit more open minded. It's a university for art and such. If I were ever to try to get a job else where, I would wear long sleeves. I hear people still judge the inked if it's visible, in professional work settings.
  • LaLa_Ventura
    LaLa_Ventura Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have three butterflies on the side of my neck. I work in an office setting for city of San Francisco. I'm not going to lie and say I didn't cover them up during my interview but I've been here 3+ years and I still get looks and weird energy sometimes. I love my tatoos and it helps me know who is really interested in me, the soul, person rather than status or superficial motives. If you can't speak to me because I have tatoos and thats the ONLY reason why ,,,,,,,,,,then good bye! It's an easy good bye for being so closed minded. I don't need those type of people in my life or space anyway.
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Tattoos are so socially acceptable anymore...I've never had any issues with any of mine. I have 7 (8 next week!!), but only two of them show a bit. Well, the one on the base of my neck may show, but I've never checked to see. I'm an EMT and studying in the Criminal Justice field....obviously there I'll have to make sure they don't show.
  • BreAnn267
    BreAnn267 Posts: 46
    Options
    I have 13 tattoos and majority of them are visible. I am an Administrative Assistant and yes, I show my tattoos. I do have tattoos on my arms, including a sleeve, and sometimes I show them (not in their entirety) but I will still be respectful of my employer and our customers and cover them as much as I can. We do not have a policy against tattoos, however, I know that not all people are for them, and I make it a personal choice to keep them semi covered.

Work wise I have never been discriminated against for them. Most people I come in contact with think they're neat and ask me questions about them....usually if they hurt, which one hurt the most, what each stands for, etc.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I have tattoos. When I see people with tats in highly visible places, I don't judge them. I have many friends who fit that bill.

Those friends (as do many of the previous posters) realize that having those types of tats is going to shut you out of certain jobs.

I'm a financial advisor. If I had visible tats on my hands or neck and am trying to advise clients about how to successfully manage their financial future, I can't blame for thinking "why am I listening to this guy who got such public tattoos?"

I don't necessarily agree, but I can't blame them for thinking it.

Same thing goes for those ear-stretching earrings. Once those are the size of a quarter you are pretty much limiting yourself to manual labor, retail, and working in a restaurant. It was your choice, don't ***** about the repercussions down the road.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Same thing goes for those ear-stretching earrings. Once those are the size of a quarter you are pretty much limiting yourself to manual labor, retail, and working in a restaurant. It was your choice, don't ***** about the repercussions down the road.

You've even limited retail to more alternative outlets, same with restaurants more alternative, back of house or clubs - or something in the arts if you are lucky (film industry is where most of my friends ended up)