7 Days Left on Low carb and fading fast

Options

Replies

• mdallas6
    mdallas6 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing something that you won't be doing forever?

What do you think is giving to happen after day 7? Magical weight loss? Maintenance will just happen?

No. You will gain weight by reintroducing carbs. It's a silly diet unless, you need to do it for medical reasons, or you decide to make it your lifestyle and do it for life.

No... you'll gain weight by consuming an excess of calories. I lost over 100 pounds through low-carbing it and once I switched to a more standard diet, yes, I gained some water weight back, but lost it again right away because I kept counting calories.
    hi five!!! Awesome job!
  • mdallas6
    mdallas6 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You are extremely defensive--why? I said his diet was incredible, not because of low carbs (his choice), but the stuff he's eating--not healthy. Why don't you help us all out and give us some ideas of what to eat? Another poster did, and she was very nice. You have offered nothing positive, but just wait to jump on certain posts. If you're having such great success, we'd all like to know how you're doing it, with details please. Be a help and we will love you.:love:

Sorry see below for quote.

You're clearly not interested in doing low carb yourself, why are you wanting to know what everyone Is eating.

Imaging a selection of vegetables - well you can eat those. Imagine some fruit, in moderation you can eat those. Meat (whatever you can imagine) fatty foods, egg yokes, nuts, avocado, coconut oil etc ( I'll let you imagine).

Basically in any one day you can have a million different combinations of food.

Just use your imagination.

But as you're not going to be doing low carb, not sure what your angle is? Maybe it's just to pressurise other people?

How do you know I'm not interested? I'm curious. If you'd read a post I wrote earlier, you'd know I tried low carb, but thought I'd done it wrong. I wanted to know why I failed, and since there are those of you who have had such great results---I would like to see why. You see, I live in Italy(American born), and there is a strong food culture--you literally are what you eat. I'm interested in the combinations, and how they work--that is their success I believe. You are always very vague about what you eat, but are so enthusiastic with your results--who wouldn't be curious? Why not share? Come on--don't be so suspicious. :wink:
    google "low carb diet"
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    You are extremely defensive--why? I said his diet was incredible, not because of low carbs (his choice), but the stuff he's eating--not healthy. Why don't you help us all out and give us some ideas of what to eat? Another poster did, and she was very nice. You have offered nothing positive, but just wait to jump on certain posts. If you're having such great success, we'd all like to know how you're doing it, with details please. Be a help and we will love you.:love:

Sorry see below for quote.

You're clearly not interested in doing low carb yourself, why are you wanting to know what everyone Is eating.

Imaging a selection of vegetables - well you can eat those. Imagine some fruit, in moderation you can eat those. Meat (whatever you can imagine) fatty foods, egg yokes, nuts, avocado, coconut oil etc ( I'll let you imagine).

Basically in any one day you can have a million different combinations of food.

Just use your imagination.

But as you're not going to be doing low carb, not sure what your angle is? Maybe it's just to pressurise other people?

How do you know I'm not interested? I'm curious. If you'd read a post I wrote earlier, you'd know I tried low carb, but thought I'd done it wrong. I wanted to know why I failed, and since there are those of you who have had such great results---I would like to see why. You see, I live in Italy(American born), and there is a strong food culture--you literally are what you eat. I'm interested in the combinations, and how they work--that is their success I believe. You are always very vague about what you eat, but are so enthusiastic with your results--who wouldn't be curious? Why not share? Come on--don't be so suspicious. :wink:

Okay, I'll share.

typical day

Breakfast - coffee (I'm eating when I'm hungry so I normally have my first food about noon.

I normally have chicken and raw carrot batons - maybe a satsuma for afters.

If I snack between lunch and dinner I normally have a handful of nuts (almonds, macadamias, hazelnuts).

For dinner - chilli (no kidney beans) buttered mushrooms, sweet potato (mashed). Glass of red wine and for afters a few squares of 85% chocolate.

As I'm eating when I'm hungry if I need to snack I sometimes eat tomatoes (which I really like) or some mature cheddar.

Hope that's not too vague.:smile:

Thankyou Dude. Now THIS is an entirely different thing than what the OP is doing. I respect people that eat well. Even if I might not do low carb myself, since I'm doing so well eating a little of everything--typical Mediterranean diet. I would thik low carbers would have to eat various vegetables to be successful and healthy in the long run. I really want everyone on here to succeed. I find the discussions interesting--am learning so much. Sorry to bug you with questions, but you have to admit alot of people don't understand what you're doing. I need to see examples, and imagine there are lots of others on MFP like me. Appreciate your time. Best.:smile:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I just find it strange that people who are against low carb eating want to discourage others or tell them it doesn't work when in actuality it does. There are tons of people who are changing their eating habits and successfully losing weight on low carb eating and I believe the person asking for advice wanted it from others who eat low carb.

I know a lot of people who have lost weight, and a lot of people who have tried to lose weight and put it back on.

Every. Single. Person. I know who has done "low carb" has found it totally unsustainable in the long term and put the weight back on. Every last one of them. I discourage people from low carb because it is, in the real world, not something people will do for the rest of their lives, and it therefore does not prepare them to maintain a healthy weight for the rest of their lives by teaching them good, sustainable, adaptable, flexible eating habits.

The goal of any dietary change should generally be to learn how to eat for the rest of your life. This means teaching yourself how to eat in any situation. How to moderate high-calorie foods, but still fit them in where you want. What sacrifices you have to make for that piece of pizza or slice of pie. Low carb diets do not teach you how to responsibly enjoy everyday foods that you will be presented with for the upcoming 50 years. They are, in my view, unsustainable short-term fixes that don't actually help anyone learn regular, normal, healthy eating habits.

Also, pretty much everyone on MFP who has demonstrated long-term realistic maintenance after being formerly obese has done so without low carb, and pretty much all of the low-carb advocates on MFP such as yourself lack such a history.
    thanks for restating what I said. Yes low carb is a lifestyle change, as is anything else people who want a healthier lifestyle whether it's low cal , excercise, low carb, Paleo, stomach surgery, etc....otherwise they'd still be overweight. Anyone on any type of "diet" can gain the weight back, even stomach surgery. My way of eating us different than yours, but it's results are the same. Mine may just fit my life better than another way of eating. No reason to "hate" on others method. I'm a whole lot healthier, I feel better, I'm on 0 medications and it fits MY life. I don't see anything wrong with that!

Its results are not the same, which is my entire point.

I don't believe you'll be doing low carb for the next five, ten years. I will still be doing moderation.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I just find it strange that people who are against low carb eating want to discourage others or tell them it doesn't work when in actuality it does. There are tons of people who are changing their eating habits and successfully losing weight on low carb eating and I believe the person asking for advice wanted it from others who eat low carb.

I know a lot of people who have lost weight, and a lot of people who have tried to lose weight and put it back on.

Every. Single. Person. I know who has done "low carb" has found it totally unsustainable in the long term and put the weight back on. Every last one of them. I discourage people from low carb because it is, in the real world, not something people will do for the rest of their lives, and it therefore does not prepare them to maintain a healthy weight for the rest of their lives by teaching them good, sustainable, adaptable, flexible eating habits.

The goal of any dietary change should generally be to learn how to eat for the rest of your life. This means teaching yourself how to eat in any situation. How to moderate high-calorie foods, but still fit them in where you want. What sacrifices you have to make for that piece of pizza or slice of pie. Low carb diets do not teach you how to responsibly enjoy everyday foods that you will be presented with for the upcoming 50 years. They are, in my view, unsustainable short-term fixes that don't actually help anyone learn regular, normal, healthy eating habits.

Also, pretty much everyone on MFP who has demonstrated long-term realistic maintenance after being formerly obese has done so without low carb, and pretty much all of the low-carb advocates on MFP such as yourself lack such a history.

I do not believe you will continue to eat to a calorie controlled diet for the next 5 - 10 years and log all of your food everyday and stopping eating when you are still hungry.

In regards to a majority of people on MFP counting calories successfully - well that's pretty obvious, if they are on the site they are still actively dieting.

What would be more interesting would be to know how many people have signed up to MFP (since it started) compared to how many are actively using it now? If I had to guess I think it would be a less than 50% percentage.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I do not believe you will continue to eat to a calorie controlled diet for the next 5 - 10 years and log all of your food everyday and stopping eating when you are still hungry.

In regards to a majority of people on MFP counting calories successfully - well that's pretty obvious, if they are on the site they are still actively dieting.

What would be more interesting would be to know how many people have signed up to MFP (since it started) compared to how many are actively using it now? If I had to guess I think it would be a less than 50% percentage.

In on year 10, my friend. Not of logging, because that's been on and off. But year 10 of moderation, using the healthy and sustainable habits that IIFYM taught me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

In on year 10, my friend. Not of logging, because that's been on and off. But year 10 of moderation, using the healthy and sustainable habits that IIFYM taught me.

year seven for me….
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I only know two in real life. One is my gynecologist. Of the two, 100% (2/2) no longer use it because they have maintained for years and feel that they have a good handle on portion control.

Absolutely NOT an appropriate sample size to draw any conclusions.
    Of the 8 people I can think of off the top of my head who have done low-carb, only one is still doing it. She lost weight initially, but she's now gaining and wondering why.
    The rest yo-yo. They lose for awhile, plateau, get frustrated and give up. Once they gain all the weight back (and more, usually), they repeat the cycle.

I also know four who learned portion control / calorie and nutrient balance using other methods. All four have maintained for 5 + years.

Again, none of these are statistically significant for a large population, but of the "weight loser" population that I regularly interact with, it is.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    It blows my mind that people are so concerned with other peoples business on here..... I don't go to IIFYM posts and preach low carb to them because they are adults and chose their plans and I am an adult and chose mine. I don't know their stories and reasons for choosing their lifestyle nor do they know mine. I look for people similar to what I am going through and don't even mess with the rest. If I don't focus on me and my goals I will never reach them.

I had a Jehovas witness some to my door Saturday and that's COMPLETELY not my thing... But I talked to him for a bit and accepted his pamphlet and he went on his way. Our beliefs were completely opposite but never once did he tell me my religion was wrong and never once did I tell him his religion was wrong....
    Same goes for "diets" who is anyone to tell someone that the path they chose for themselves is wrong? I'm an adult and I decide what I am going to do and you are an adult and you go chose what you are going to do.... But NO, strangers on the internet you don't get to decide how I eat...
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    On my own study of one I did calorie counting and it didn't work. I know of 4 other people personally who did weight watcher (didn't work).

I have 2 close friends who are low carb and they are both very sporty and have lost and maintained on low carb.

Therefore by your logic - calorie counting must not work!!!!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I'll just have to take your word for that Jonny as you've only been logging your food on your diary for just over a year.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    On my own study of one I did calorie counting and it didn't work. I know of 4 other people personally who did weight watcher (didn't work).

I have 2 close friends who are low carb and they are both very sporty and have lost and maintained on low carb.

I cannot make sense of this sentence.

Your "study" is of a sample size even more statistically insignificant than mine.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options

I cannot make sense of this sentence.

Your "study" is of a sample size even more statistically insignificant than mine.

He can add me to the list..
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If "calorie counting didn't work," it's because you were doing it wrong. Calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight, regardless of diet.

I can't play the entire song "Eruption" by Van Halen, so obviously the problem is that guitars don't work...
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Jonny, usually you're a poster who tries to back up his statements with some sort of evidence, so it surprises me to see you rely so often on laughable anecdotal evidence like who you personally know that's failed on a low carb diet. I know lots of people who have failed numerous times counting calories, but you don't see me on here proclaiming people will fail for counting calories because such a conclusion is simply not supported by that evidence (and actually statistics show most people fail regardless in the long-term, regardless of how they lose the weight, but that's neither here nor there). Using MFP trends as evidence of what diets work in the long-term is itself a bit silly, because if you frequented other communities, you'd realize how biased this community is towards a certain way of thinking. Regardless, who you know personally and who you see on this forum does not make a convincing case for one weight loss technique being superior to the other. Studies and statistics can shed some light on what tends to lead to long-term success, but ultimately it comes down to the individual.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    It blows my mind that people are so concerned with other peoples business on here..... I don't go to IIFYM posts and preach low carb to them because they are adults and chose their plans and I am an adult and chose mine. I don't know their stories and reasons for choosing their lifestyle nor do they know mine. I look for people similar to what I am going through and don't even mess with the rest. If I don't focus on me and my goals I will never reach them.

I had a Jehovas witness some to my door Saturday and that's COMPLETELY not my thing... But I talked to him for a bit and accepted his pamphlet and he went on his way. Our beliefs were completely opposite but never once did he tell me my religion was wrong and never once did I tell him his religion was wrong....
    Same goes for "diets" who is anyone to tell someone that the path they chose for themselves is wrong? I'm an adult and I decide what I am going to do and you are an adult and you go chose what you are going to do.... But NO, strangers on the internet you don't get to decide how I eat...

The title of this thread:
    "7 Days Left on Low carb and fading fast"

The OP:
    Ive been low carbing now for 23 days and felt ok, but ever since the last 11 days hit of my 30 day diet I am feeling only enough energy to do normal things like sit around the house. Im eating 30 grams a day at about 1500 calories. I lost 10 pounds on the scale so maybe 5 of that is water weight, but I look and feel thinner. Whats the longest yall have done a very low carb induction rate? And whats with my energy being alright till the 19th day of low carbing and then now seems like everything has started to bug me.

It seems to me that this is not, in fact, a "low carb success" thread.
    OP does not seem either happy or successful.

Also, I haven't read the thread, so I have no idea how long you have been pursuing a low carb diet and your profile is private, so I have nothing to go by but your profile picture. From that, it appears that you have been pursuing weight loss for about a year.
    I think it's premature to say that you have had long term success from eating low carb.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    If "calorie counting didn't work," it's because you were doing it wrong. Calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight, regardless of diet.

I can't play the entire song "Eruption" by Van Halen, so obviously the problem is that guitars don't work...

bingo.
    Regardless of how the deficit occurs (whether it's from low carb, low fat, portion control, etc.), it's all about the calories.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

It didn't work because I did not like having to log and weight my food every time I ate and also I found that if I ate the food I enjoyed at the time I was still hungry when I reached my calorie goal.

Nothing to do with doing it wrong - I am not saying I didn't lose weight.

For me calorie count was not sustainable as a long term diet, therefore for me the diet wasn't working.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that this is not, in fact, a "low carb success" thread.
    OP does not seem either happy or successful.

Also, I haven't read the thread, so I have no idea how long you have been pursuing a low carb diet and your profile is private, so I have nothing to go by but your profile picture. From that, it appears that you have been pursuing weight loss for about a year.
    I think it's premature to say that you have had long term success from eating low carb.

But for the million other low carb diet posts where people constantly hop in to say "BUT IT'S NOT IIFYM!" you'd have a point. :wink:
  • DamePiglet
    Options

I'll just have to take your word for that Jonny as you've only been logging your food on your diary for just over a year.

And we have to take your word for pretty much everything you say because there's nothing else.
    Except when you are being "cheeky", (ie. "Check my diary"... oh, it's something that people toss around here", or "Oh, I just said that because I was being obtuse.")

So, I'm going to give more weight to what Jonny says. Thanks.