7 Days Left on Low carb and fading fast

Options

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Don't take potassium supplements without first speaking to your doctor.

I wouldn't recommend potassium supplements unless there's a deficiency, but why do you say this? As far as I know there's nothing remotely dangerous about them. They really don't even have much potassium in them.

For a lot of reasons that I can't get into right now, but too much potassium can cause a lot of problems, some dangerous, in the body. OP is someone who is going on a low carb diet and feeling miserable and asking what to do. I don't think we should assume anything about her health or diet or how responsibly she will follow directions. (Not a slam on OP, it goes for anyone reading.)
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Ive low carbed in the past and that is the quickest way I noticed I lost a good amount of weight. I only have 7 more days of this low carbing and then I think Im going to count calories for a few weeks. Maybe mix my diet up since Im not working right now, but my parents are willing to buy me food I need so I lose weight. Thinking about just going on a 2000 calorie a day diet after I finish this and then maybe low carb every two weeks and then alternate. My weight yoyos a lot because I know how to eat really but I just stop caring for awhile pig out and then gain the weight back so I have to do things to lose it again.

Please re-read this entire paragraph that you wrote and REALLY think about it. Um, you already identified your own problem. You yo-yo back and forth, then start the cycle again. How about you perhaps find a lifestyle approach that actually works for YOU that is sustainable long term and gets you out of this cycle? If your profile is correct, you are too old to be this ignorant about your own choices. I truly wish you luck. Do some research on here, find something that sounds moderate and sustainable for YOU, then do it. Forever.

ummmm yeah. pretty much this. You are 36 and your parents are buying you food to lose weight? But then you will stop caring and pig out and gain it back? Time to grow up dude and take some responsibility for yourself.
    QFT.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Don't take potassium supplements without first speaking to your doctor.

I wouldn't recommend potassium supplements unless there's a deficiency, but why do you say this? As far as I know there's nothing remotely dangerous about them. They really don't even have much potassium in them.

For a lot of reasons that I can't get into right now, but too much potassium can cause a lot of problems, some dangerous, in the body. OP is someone who is going on a low carb diet and feeling miserable and asking what to do. I don't think we should assume anything about her health or diet or how responsibly she will follow directions. (Not a slam on OP, it goes for anyone reading.)

Too much potassium from supplements is virtually impossible. All the pills have about 100 mg per tablet. You're technically right, but I don't think that's a concern.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Just don't understand people who think doing some magical diet will make them lose weight quickly. Unless of course for medical issues, just eat at a reasonable deficit and exercise, it's really that easy!!

I wouldn't say it's easy. Simple, yes. Easy? Not always.

Simple and Easy are synonyms for each other, meaning practically the same thing.

Uh, no, they are not. Hitting a golf ball is simple. You swing the club and hit the ball. But it's really f'in hard to do well. Just like throwing a football. Heck, chess takes 10 minutes to learn but I've never heard anyone say that chess is easy.

Look it up in a dictionary/thesaurus....they are synonyms for each other, and mean practically the same thing.
    Now don't get me wrong, changing your eating habits is not easy or really simple for that matter, but the idea behind it is both simple and easy

The concept of eating less and moving more is simple.

The application of eating less and moving more is not always easy

If it was, there would be no need for this website, special fad diets, or any other bs people use to try to lose weight. But if you want to continue splitting hairs, be my guest.

Boom!

Mike_Tyson's_Punch-Out!!_-_NES_-_TKO.png
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I did induction for 9 months..... 25 carbs or less a day and actual carbs not net carbs.
    I never had that problem though... I felt fantastic doing it... and I only quit due to financial reasons....

But low carb isn't meant to be a crash diet... So I'm not sure why it would only be done for 23 days and abandoned... Because in that case you will gain it all back.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Ive low carbed in the past and that is the quickest way I noticed I lost a good amount of weight. I only have 7 more days of this low carbing and then I think Im going to count calories for a few weeks. Maybe mix my diet up since Im not working right now, but my parents are willing to buy me food I need so I lose weight. Thinking about just going on a 2000 calorie a day diet after I finish this and then maybe low carb every two weeks and then alternate.

That is the wrong way to low carb since it can take up to 3 weeks to enter ketosis. You are probably better off switching to a different program. With low carb you have to stick with it not just play with it.

it doesn't take three weeks to "enter ketosis"

you can "enter ketosis" in a day by going for a very long run without eating first. Ketosis happens when your glycogen stores are depleted. marathon runners call this "hitting the wall" - the body can't get as much energy in the same time frame from fat or protein as it can from carbs. The result is that the quality of the workout suffers (i.e. how much you can lift or how fast you can run declines rapidly) and the person lacks energy for day to day tasks. This is what's happening to the OP.... she's depleted her glycogen stores and now she doesn't have enough energy to go about her day. It's counter-productive because she'll burn more calories in a day (and therefore get to eat more and still lose fat) if she actually ate some carbs, plus she'll have more energy and feel better. As for successful weight loss, most of the initial weight loss from low carb is your glycogen stores being depleted. You don't burn any more fat doing low carb than you would eating the same number of calories on any other diet. But you do have a lot more energy eating balanced macros (i.e. sensible amounts of protein, fat and carbs) and being careful not to go over your calorie goal. Plus you get to eat yummy carb foods and still lose fat. Additionally, a more flexible approach generally is more sustainable in the long term, because most people don't want to live without carbs for the rest of their life.

yep.
  • oSummerRaeo
    oSummerRaeo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I dont believe too much in net carbs so if it has carbs I count all the carbs for my day. Im eating a veggie every other day since I dont like too many, but I also was horribly constipated one day so I decided to fit in some veggies. Today Im going to have me a ceasar salad and day after tomorrow going to eat green beans.
    Where do you get your nutrients from?
  • Jess_Forever_After
    Jess_Forever_After Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Low carb is not a terrible way to lose weight, it is quite effective for many people. I would even say that most of the people on here who have played with their macros have seen their weight loss go up when they lowered carbs and upped fat and protein. However, you probably need more carbs than you are currently eating. I do best on 60-100g net carbs a day. I am not in ketosis but I still lose steadily. In the past I lost approximately 70 pounds over several years of on and off dieting using this method. I only gained some back because I got lazy with my diet and ate out a lot.

Try increasing your carbs and see how you feel. Ketosis is not necessary to lose weight.
  • ALNoog
    Options
    I dont believe too much in net carbs so if it has carbs I count all the carbs for my day. Im eating a veggie every other day since I dont like too many, but I also was horribly constipated one day so I decided to fit in some veggies. Today Im going to have me a ceasar salad and day after tomorrow going to eat green beans.
    Where do you get your nutrients from?

Exactly and I am also wondering where the carbs are coming from if he isn't eating veggies...
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Is that 30g of carbs...I have done that everyday for almost a year and I dont feel like that. Im just suprised you can get 1500 calories in by doing it. You must be eating a HUGE amount of veggies and meats.

If you are feeling really tired it maybe that you need more Iron and B12. Before you go adding supplements though, get bloodwork done and see exactly what you need.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Just don't understand people who think doing some magical diet will make them lose weight quickly. Unless of course for medical issues, just eat at a reasonable deficit and exercise, it's really that easy!!

I wouldn't say it's easy. Simple, yes. Easy? Not always.

Simple and Easy are synonyms for each other, meaning practically the same thing.

Uh, no, they are not. Hitting a golf ball is simple. You swing the club and hit the ball. But it's really f'in hard to do well. Just like throwing a football. Heck, chess takes 10 minutes to learn but I've never heard anyone say that chess is easy.

Look it up in a dictionary/thesaurus....they are synonyms for each other, and mean practically the same thing.
    Now don't get me wrong, changing your eating habits is not easy or really simple for that matter, but the idea behind it is both simple and easy

The concept of eating less and moving more is simple.

The application of eating less and moving more is not always easy

If it was, there would be no need for this website, special fad diets, or any other bs people use to try to lose weight. But if you want to continue splitting hairs, be my guest.

I am pretty sure we are saying the same thing here!

I was just saying that the definitions of both words in a dictionary mean almost the same thing.
    ETA : the thesaurus has them both a synonyms for each other also
  • ALNoog
    Options
    Is that 30g of carbs...I have done that everyday for almost a year and I dont feel like that. Im just suprised you can get 1500 calories in by doing it. You must be eating a HUGE amount of veggies and meats.

If you are feeling really tired it maybe that you need more Iron and B12. Before you go adding supplements though, get bloodwork done and see exactly what you need.

He said he only eats small amounts of veggies every other day... So I agree it must be a LOT of protein.. But I'm curious as to how he is even getting to 30g carbs a day when he's not eating veggies...
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Net carbs is a mechanism to encourage increased fiber intake. Comments like the one quoted are typically what drive people to conclude Atkins = meat and cheese. If you ignore the concept of net carbs then your total carb count is always going to be really low. If you don't believe in net carbs then you need to adjust any type of low carb diet approach to hit a minimum fiber goal and a max carb goal to achieve the same effect. You can actually have a sizeable amount of carbs on induction if they come from the right sources. It would be viable to say on induction you should eat 30g fiber and 50g total carbs - which is just another way to say 20g net carbs.
  • oSummerRaeo
    oSummerRaeo Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Net carbs is a mechanism to encourage increased fiber intake. Comments like the one quoted are typically what drive people to conclude Atkins = meat and cheese. If you ignore the concept of net carbs then your total carb count is always going to be really low. If you don't believe in net carbs then you need to adjust any type of low carb diet approach to hit a minimum fiber goal and a max carb goal to achieve the same effect. You can actually have a sizeable amount of carbs on induction if they come from the right sources. It would be viable to say on induction you should eat 30g fiber and 50g total carbs.
    christ, this is all so complicated and unnecessary.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Net carbs is a mechanism to encourage increased fiber intake. Comments like the one quoted are typically what drive people to conclude Atkins = meat and cheese. If you ignore the concept of net carbs then your total carb count is always going to be really low. If you don't believe in net carbs then you need to adjust any type of low carb diet approach to hit a minimum fiber goal and a max carb goal to achieve the same effect. You can actually have a sizeable amount of carbs on induction if they come from the right sources. It would be viable to say on induction you should eat 30g fiber and 50g total carbs.
    christ, this is all so complicated and unnecessary.

My thoughts exactly. Sheesh.
  • olystacy
    olystacy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Stop the madness. Eat the food. All of it, even carbs. Movement, balance, healthy food = sustainable, happy, long term success. Your body is telling you something! Listen to it. It needs carbs. Good luck.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    0 days.

I would not go on a low carb diet unless it was a medical necessity.

Edited for spelling.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother doing it for only 30 days. In my mind, it's only worth looking at something like a LCHF diet if you feel fine following the program and if it helps you in the mid to long-term with your weight loss. If you plan to quit in 10 days anyways and feel bad now, I'd go ahead and carb up. As to why you're feeling lethargic, it could be a number of things, but again it's probably not worth figuring out if you're planning to quit in the next 10 days anyways.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    About 10 carbs a day go to my drinks. I dont like water much so Im using lemon juice mixed with water and I drink low 10 calorie sodas. Some of the sausages I eat have a few carbs. Also some times I eat hebrew national hotdogs and they have carbs. Some days i'll throw in a snack like a mini ice cream sandwich which is 16. Sometimes I go out to eat and say most of their meats have 5 carbs just as an estimate in case they put stuff on their meat. I might be a little under the 30 carbs, but I count daily.

Today I had a veggie omelet at dennys and saw a carb count of 10 online, going to probably drink 10 carbs in drinks, had a few cheese sticks. the ceasar salad with the dressing is going to be close to 10 carbs. maybe a little over.
  • ALNoog
    Options
    About 10 carbs a day go to my drinks. I dont like water much so Im using lemon juice mixed with water and I drink low 10 calorie sodas. Some of the sausages I eat have a few carbs. Also some times I eat hebrew national hotdogs and they have carbs. Some days i'll throw in a snack like a mini ice cream sandwich which is 16. Sometimes I go out to eat and say most of their meats have 5 carbs just as an estimate in case they put stuff on their meat. I might be a little under the 30 carbs, but I count daily.

Today I had a veggie omelet at dennys and saw a carb count of 10 online, going to probably drink 10 carbs in drinks, had a few cheese sticks. the ceasar salad with the dressing is going to be close to 10 carbs. maybe a little over.

Ohhh. Makes sense now... So you aren't actually following a low carb diet... Just eating fewer carbs.