Judgey in the lunch room

Options
1234568»

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

1 pack of Mr.Noodles, 1 can of condensed soup (he doesn't un-condense it), a bunch of the processed peanut butter, all mixed together in a big salad bowl (cooked of course). On the side, he'll have 4 peices of white toast with dollar store margarine smeared on top.

Nothing against the guy, but I definitely don't agree with his food choices! LOL!

It didn't sound too bad until you got to the peanut butter. Mixed with soup. gag
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Okay, all you southern people haters! I'm pretty sure there are obese people everywhere. I live in lower Alabama, and while I do know my fair share of overweight people, I know more people who are not overweight. Don't be picking on us southerners!!

Exactly!!! I saw a lot of bigger people in Iowa...all over the world there are places where people have nothing to do but sit on their butts and eat.

I've seen way more large people in Minnesota where my mom is from than I do in Texas.
  • avemaryama
    avemaryama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I was here for the drama, live in Kenya so everything is organic, weirdly enough, the upper middle class in Kenya eats the worst, buying all your processed crap. But for the most part, everyone at work brings cooked meals from home made with ingredients that came from a farm which is at most, one or two counties over.

Also, noodles, condensed soup and peanut butter...my palate cannot, and does not, want to imagine it.
  • Perplexities
    Perplexities Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Judgey little rant for perspective:

So I'm realizing that some people ALWAYS eat trash. They have soda every day, some of them even drink predominantly soda as if it were water. There are people at my work who eat microwave lunches every day! That is a chemical trash concoction and they eat it every. single. day. They probably don't even eat one cupful of lettuce per day and might only have one piece of fruit or none! How is that even possible? Don't you die of malnutrition if you only eat processed food every day all the time? I definitely indulge in the occasional snack of trash, sometimes even twice a day, but every day? All the time? It had just never occurred to me that a person could live without eating any fruits or any vegetables or drinking any water or probably doing any exercise...

So I guess no worries to everyone eating some fruit and veg and at least drinking some water. Taking steps in the right direction puts you lightyears ahead of the crowd it seems. Keep up the good work and you're probably doing better than you think! :drinker:

Do you know anyone who eats ALL junk? Is this really so common?

About as common as your ignorance.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    To answer at least part of your question, yes, that junk food does have some nutritional value that's why they can do it and not just die from malnutrition. It's also the reason for congestive heart failure so there is a dark side to eating junk.

If i were you i wouldn't worry about it. It's their choices, right or wrong.
    What the ****ety ****?!!! Congestive heart failure is due to eating junk food? Wait well I just go and tell that to my elderly CHF patients who've lived off meat and two veg all their lives. If I pass some of the cardiologists on they way I will let them know as well as I'm sure it will be news.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Well, aren't you just a gem.

I don't demonize food. I eat what I want inside of my macros. A lot of times, I bring easy microwave meals to work and then cook dinner when I get home. It seems to be working just fine for me. VVVVV

+1. What people eat isn't anyone's business but their own, unless you are a power hungry thug running california or NYC then you get to shove folks around over foods.

ah ha. clip and save to show all my minions.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Full disclosure: I can't remember the last time I ate lettuce.
    y grandma makes a killer lettuce soup.

As far as salads go though, the only ones worth eating (IMO) are cabbage, potato and eggplant.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I was here for the drama, live in Kenya so everything is organic, weirdly enough, the upper middle class in Kenya eats the worst, buying all your processed crap. But for the most part, everyone at work brings cooked meals from home made with ingredients that came from a farm which is at most, one or two counties over.

Also, noodles, condensed soup and peanut butter...my palate cannot, and does not, want to imagine it.

I noticed that in India, too, where I used to go on business. The very poor, of course, are malnourished. The lower classes do their own cooking and it's pretty balanced. They do wonderful things with vegetarian food- lots of vegetables, including potatoes and chickpeas to make it filling, delicious sauces. Even those who eat meat don't eat a lot of it.

OTOH, the people I worked with were starting to get into fast food- KFC, McDonald's (they had a Chicken McTikka sandwich!), Pizza Hut. And they were putting on weight. Too much trouble to cook at the end of the day, especially when they worked late at night to accommodate US business hours. You can't freeze a week's worth of homemade meals because of frequent power failures.

But to get back to the OP- yes, I sometimes look at what overweight co-workers are carrying or eating and sigh. I don't say anything, I hope I don't have any noticeable reactions because I'm not out to hurt their feelings, but I wonder what healthy changes to their diet would do for them.

After I retire (in about 4 years) I hope to find a way to volunteer to teach healthy cooking to people on limited budgets.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Lettuce is bland! Now spinach...that is the shzit!!!! YUMMY!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Okay, all you southern people haters! I'm pretty sure there are obese people everywhere. I live in lower Alabama, and while I do know my fair share of overweight people, I know more people who are not overweight. Don't be picking on us southerners!!

Exactly!!! I saw a lot of bigger people in Iowa...all over the world there are places where people have nothing to do but sit on their butts and eat.

I've seen way more large people in Minnesota where my mom is from than I do in Texas.

Alabama has the highest obesity rate in the nation.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Oh goody, I've been hoping to get the chance to use this line....
    So I'm realizing that some people ALWAYS eat trash. They have soda every day, some of them even drink predominantly soda as if it were water. There are people at my work who eat microwave lunches every day! That is a chemical trash concoction and they eat it every. single. day. They probably don't even eat one cupful of lettuce per day and might only have one piece of fruit or none! How is that even possible? Don't you die of malnutrition if you only eat processed food every day all the time? I definitely indulge in the occasional snack of trash, sometimes even twice a day, but every day? All the time? It had just never occurred to me that a person could live without eating any fruits or any vegetables or drinking any water or probably doing any exercise...
    Soda every day. Yep.
    Microwave lunches every day. Yep at the moment since I started this new contract. Was often pizza before that.
    Food made of chemicals. Well, yep.
    Some days won't eat any salad or fruit at all, sometimes a few days in a row.
    Never drink water on it's own - usually soda or squash with artificial sweeteners.

And here it comes....
    So, how many ultramarathons have you completed in the last week?

Me; just the one. Probably because I eat 'trash'!

:D:D:D

Bada bing.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options

Alabama has the highest obesity rate in the nation.

According to all 4 of the sites I just checked. it's Mississippi that has the highest rate.

ETA this lovely article in which Alabama didn't even make the top 10 for highest rates of obesity.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/05/obese-states-most-least_n_4896517.html