• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    4QIrZFJ.gif

AHHHHHH I'M DYING!!!!!! LOL!!!!
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options

Though I didn't know most of this, I'm glad my boys have never had an ounce of pop/soda pass their lips. They've never even asked for it. They prefer water or chocolate soy milk.

And when they do ask for it? What happens then?

They never have. I heard someone offer some to them at a picnic and my eldest responded, "We don't drink soda." I was feeling very proud at that moment.
    What would have happened if they had said, "sure, thank you?"

Will you be any less proud if you discover that they accept it at some point in time?

I would have let them. I don't know about their mother. If they choose to accept it at some point in time, I might be a little disappointed, but I wouldn't say it or show it. And there's plenty of other things they do that make me proud. I was mostly proud because they went against the typical American culture when it comes to food and they don't seem bothered. Their mother and I don't say they can't have soda, but we teach them about the American diet and why it's not good. They can quickly tell you why McDonalds is not very healthy or many other things. They've grown up eating whole foods and they just don't have a taste for junk or fast food, with the exception of french fries. They never ask for them, but every once in a great while we will stop and get some curly fries from Arby's, but they know it's not healthy and just an occasional treat.

Speaking as the child of a hippie, they are probably going to do the American thing at some time. However, they will be motivated to step up their game for your grandchildren. :wink:

That certainly has crossed my mind. If they want to, they want to. I just hope by the end of college they realize the benefits of a whole food diet and return to it. But it's their life at the point and they can choose whatever path they choose. Their mother's cousin raised their kids on a whole food diet and when the oldest was about 15, she went to McDonalds with friends. About an hour after finishing her quarter pounder, fries and soda, she began to throw up. Her body wasn't used to that kind of food and let her know it didn't like it. She's 19 now and has not returned to a fast food since. Her younger sister has a phobia of vomiting, after hearing what happened declared she would never go to a fast food restaurant.

Yeah.... Sounds like the epitome of a healthy relationship with food. :noway:

That can happen when you eat food that you are unused to (like in a foreign country).

I'm not a big fan of chicken cacciatore due to a mistimed bout of stomach flu, doesn't mean that I have an unhealthy relationship with food.

I'm aware that actual, physical adverse reactions to food exist, especially when food is unfamiliar. That said, I'm also aware that plenty of people hype up "bad food" in their minds and essentially hypochondriac themselves into adverse reactions. Quite frankly, the only reason I even questioned the mental relationship with food is because her younger sister apparently has some kind of phobia about vomiting and was willing to write off literally every fast food place due to a single, anecdotal event that her older sister had.

I'm not a big fan of breakfast sausages because once, as a child, I ate so many I made myself sick. Does that mean my sister avoids that food just because I had a less than ideal experience? ... Nope.

I was only talking about this one incident. I certainly didn't mean to imply that that will happen to everyone. I just found it interesting. I don't think being concerned about the health effects of "Bad Food" as you put it, creates a climate of hypochondria. I think American's lack of knowledge or disregard for the knowledge about fast food is a thing to worry about. Even the military wrote up a report that the obesity epidemic could be potentially bad for national defense. God forbid we get in a war that requires the draft again, 1/3 of the population is not even close to being a someone they can train.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I was only talking about this one incident. I certainly didn't mean to imply that that will happen to everyone. I just found it interesting. I don't think being concerned about the health effects of "Bad Food" as you put it, creates a climate of hypochondria. I think American's lack of knowledge or disregard for the knowledge about fast food is a thing to worry about. Even the military wrote up a report that the obesity epidemic could be potentially bad for national defense. God forbid we get in a war that requires the draft again, 1/3 of the population is not even close to being a someone they can train.

that's pretty unrealistic. My husband was overweight when he joined the Navy. After 3 months in boot camp, he was fit and at a healthy weight. The military has a pretty hard core training program. Since all it takes is calorie deficit and exercise, and people in the military have no access to outside food and are forced to exercise, it's pretty easy to make them fit.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I agree.

I just happen to believe that it's your side of the argument that has a lack of knowledge about the subject.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options

that's pretty unrealistic. My husband was overweight when he joined the Navy. After 3 months in boot camp, he was fit and at a healthy weight. The military has a pretty hard core training program. Since all it takes is calorie deficit and exercise, and people in the military have no access to outside food and are forced to exercise, it's pretty easy to make them fit.

I'm just telling you what the military said. They consider it a threat to national security. Their words.

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Family/Modern-Parenthood/2012/0925/Too-fat-to-fight-Is-childhood-obesity-a-national-security-threat

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/29/AR2010042903669.html
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I agree.

I just happen to believe that it's your side of the argument that has a lack of knowledge about the subject.

^^^^ pretty much this

sites like the one quoted in the OP make the problem of lack of knowledge about nutrition and health worse, not better. There are so many sites out there that are peddling pseudoscience and it just confuses everyone, such that on threads like these, people who are giving sound advice based on real science are called ignorant and considered to be the part of the problem....

real science can be found in up-to-date peer reviewed journals and university textbooks.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I agree.

^^^^ pretty much this

sites like the one quoted in the OP make the problem of lack of knowledge about nutrition and health worse, not better. There are so many sites out there that are peddling pseudoscience and it just confuses everyone, such that on threads like these, people who are giving sound advice based on real science are called ignorant and considered to be the part of the problem....

real science can be found in up-to-date peer reviewed journals and university textbooks.

Agreed. Also, many, many of the people who write these things are no more knowledgable than the average person, and they often rely on secondary, not primary, sources for their information. Usually, the secondary sources already contain bias and / or misinformation.
    Convenient? Yeah. More entertaining and easier to read? Sure. But reliable? Not so much.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Though I didn't know most of this, I'm glad my boys have never had an ounce of pop/soda pass their lips. They've never even asked for it. They prefer water or chocolate soy milk.

They never have. I heard someone offer some to them at a picnic and my eldest responded, "We don't drink soda." I was feeling very proud at that moment.

Will you be any less proud if you discover that they accept it at some point in time?

I would have let them. I don't know about their mother. If they choose to accept it at some point in time, I might be a little disappointed, but I wouldn't say it or show it. And there's plenty of other things they do that make me proud. I was mostly proud because they went against the typical American culture when it comes to food and they don't seem bothered. Their mother and I don't say they can't have soda, but we teach them about the American diet and why it's not good. They can quickly tell you why McDonalds is not very healthy or many other things. They've grown up eating whole foods and they just don't have a taste for junk or fast food, with the exception of french fries. They never ask for them, but every once in a great while we will stop and get some curly fries from Arby's, but they know it's not healthy and just an occasional treat.

Speaking as the child of a hippie, they are probably going to do the American thing at some time. However, they will be motivated to step up their game for your grandchildren. :wink:

That certainly has crossed my mind. If they want to, they want to. I just hope by the end of college they realize the benefits of a whole food diet and return to it. But it's their life at the point and they can choose whatever path they choose. Their mother's cousin raised their kids on a whole food diet and when the oldest was about 15, she went to McDonalds with friends. About an hour after finishing her quarter pounder, fries and soda, she began to throw up. Her body wasn't used to that kind of food and let her know it didn't like it. She's 19 now and has not returned to a fast food since. Her younger sister has a phobia of vomiting, after hearing what happened declared she would never go to a fast food restaurant.

That can happen when you eat food that you are unused to (like in a foreign country).

I'm not a big fan of chicken cacciatore due to a mistimed bout of stomach flu, doesn't mean that I have an unhealthy relationship with food.

I'm aware that actual, physical adverse reactions to food exist, especially when food is unfamiliar. That said, I'm also aware that plenty of people hype up "bad food" in their minds and essentially hypochondriac themselves into adverse reactions. Quite frankly, the only reason I even questioned the mental relationship with food is because her younger sister apparently has some kind of phobia about vomiting and was willing to write off literally every fast food place due to a single, anecdotal event that her older sister had.

I'm not a big fan of breakfast sausages because once, as a child, I ate so many I made myself sick. Does that mean my sister avoids that food just because I had a less than ideal experience? ... Nope.

What does fast food have to do with the obesity epidemic? Every kid in the 80's ate fast food on the daily and we were never fat. Why? No Internet and we didn't spend all of our time playing video games or sitting on our butts all day. You couldn't keep up in the house back then.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

What does fast food have to do with the obesity epidemic? Every kid in the 80's ate fast food on the daily and we were never fat. Why? No Internet and we didn't spend all of our time playing video games or sitting on our butts all day. You couldn't keep up in the house back then.

We did so play video games all day. Frogger...duh.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I agree.

^^^^ pretty much this

Agreed. Also, many, many of the people who write these things are no more knowledgeable than the average person, and they often rely on secondary, not primary, sources for their information. Usually, the secondary sources already contain bias and / or misinformation.
    Convenient? Yeah. More entertaining and easier to read? Sure. But reliable? Not so much.

The problem is that up-to-date peer reviewed journals and university textbooks don't make the leap to application in real-world contexts, which is why there is so much bickering on here. Even medical professionals seem to struggle with some of it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options

We did so play video games all day. Frogger...duh.
    Lol, my favorites back in the day were Millipede, Asteroids, foosball and Ms Pacman! Of course I had to walk (a mile) to the pool hall and stick a quarter in those games to play them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Agreed. Also, many, many of the people who write these things are no more knowledgeable than the average person, and they often rely on secondary, not primary, sources for their information. Usually, the secondary sources already contain bias and / or misinformation.

The problem is that up-to-date peer reviewed journals and university textbooks don't make the leap to application in real-world contexts, which is why there is so much bickering on here. Even medical professionals seem to struggle with some of it.
    Which is why it's important to professionals to keep up with current knowledge. Unfortunately lots of them don't research after they get their degrees.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Thank you to those who have common sense enough to understand the implications of refined sugar on the body. yeah sure body loves sugar but not in doses so high that all it can is store it. Like I said drink it I dont care all I drink now is water. Fullstop. Ripped and happy, are you!
    Waiting for reply from OP who drinks Powerade Gold (34g or sucrose) and Sanitarium (19g) while claiming all he drinks is water.:laugh: :laugh:
    Wouldn't be shocked if there's no response.

IDEA Fitness member
  • DamePiglet
    Options

I agree.

^^^^ pretty much this

True, but I trust my opinion over that of the crazy banana lady. :happy:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Thank you to those who have common sense enough to understand the implications of refined sugar on the body. yeah sure body loves sugar but not in doses so high that all it can is store it. Like I said drink it I dont care all I drink now is water. Fullstop. Ripped and happy, are you!
    Waiting for reply from OP who drinks Powerade Gold (34g or sucrose) and Sanitarium (19g) while claiming all he drinks is water.:laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member

Sanitarium is the actual name of a beverage?

I can't decide if that's marketing genius or marketing fail.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

True. Back in my day we have the STAND in an arcade to play video games. Much much healthier. Plus the body English always helped increase the score
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

At least it isn't Santorum.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

At least it isn't Santorum.

sure it isn't "Saint Rum"? Cause THAT sounds good to me!
    Saint-James-Rhum-Blanc-50.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Maybe that's where the OP resides.:laugh:

Here's a link to the drink the OP consumes:

http://www.sanitarium.com.au/products/breakfast/up-and-go/up-and-go-choc-ice

And I was wrong.............................it's 26g of sugar not 19g per serving.:huh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Maybe that's where the OP resides.:laugh:

Here's a link to the drink the OP consumes:

http://www.sanitarium.com.au/products/breakfast/up-and-go/up-and-go-choc-ice

And I was wrong.............................it's 26g of sugar not 19g per serving.:huh:

IDEA Fitness member

Blah blah blah...

It's obviously just water. Fullstop.