Is a 20 minute 5k really that great

Options
Today at work some coworkers were talking about their fitness activities in the lunch room. One of them is training the other for her wedding coming up. I asked him some questions about leg cramps I have been having when I run or walk briskly on the treadmill or in "real life" (i.e., the pavement). I mentioned I can do a 20 minute 5k on the elliptical after doing the c25k program, and he acted all impressed, like he did not believe me or something. (I can't do it in "real life," because of this cramping problem I'm having)

So, is it really that impressive or hard to believe? I just did the program, I thought that was supposed to be the end result of it??

Replies

• laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    That's under 7 minute miles, right? So, I think it is :)
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    When I was the lightest and most fit (like 170 lbs and moderately active my sophomore year in high school) we ran miles and were timed. I managed a 12 minute mile (between running and walking briskly because I couldn't run continuously.) As laurieagain09 said before me, that's under 7 minutes a mile... definitely very impressive! :)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Yea, elliptical does not translate much to actual running, even the treadmill doesn't translate fully to running on actual ground. A 20 minute 5k is very fast. Just to put it in perspective, my roommate is a Marine and they do timed 3 mile runs and these guys are in amazing cardiovascular shape, and an 18 minute time is a perfect score and extremely hard to get. A 20 minute 5k equates to under a 6.5 minutes/mile pace held for just over 3 miles which is very fast.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Today at work some coworkers were talking about their fitness activities in the lunch room. One of them is training the other for her wedding coming up. I asked him some questions about leg cramps I have been having when I run or walk briskly on the treadmill or in "real life" (i.e., the pavement). I mentioned I can do a 20 minute 5k on the elliptical after doing the c25k program, and he acted all impressed, like he did not believe me or something. (I can't do it in "real life," because of this cramping problem I'm having)

So, is it really that impressive or hard to believe? I just did the program, I thought that was supposed to be the end result of it??

Well...you can use the C25K program to help you increase your cardio on all the machines.

But the ultimate goal of the C25K is to get you able to run an entire 5K, either on a treadmill or outside. As AJ says, an elliptical doesn't really translate into actual running. It is a very good cross-training for running, as it is low impact. But the speed you can do on an elliptical shouldn't be compared to someone actually running outside in an actual race. I have been running for a year and just broke a 30 minute 5K.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is very different from running on the solid ground. Although I applaud your work out (seriously, great job!), running a 5k on solid ground would be a farily fast, about the average women's sprint, where as the elliptical equivalent is not really comparable.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    If you ran 5k in 20 minutes in "real life" I would be impressed.

On an elliptic, it is probably easier, depending on your resistance setting, because the mechanics of the elliptic will do some of the work for you.

Still sounds like a good workout though.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    RUNNING 5k in 20 minutes is fast, yes. I started doing a weekly 5km Park Run last year - my first times were about 33-34 mins, my best time now a year later is 26 and a bit mins, and that gives me an age graded score in the 60% range. If I can get to 25 mins I'll be seriously impressed.

Mo Farah, the world's fastest man, can run 5km in 13 minutes.

But the elliptical isn't running.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    5k in 20 minutes is very fast for the average person. But I do not understand what an elliptical has to do with running, you lost me there completely.
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Very good / fast runners will RUN 5km in 17-19 minutes ..... most average runners can do a 25-30 mins .... fun "runners" will do 30-40 mins and your plodders will do it in 40-50 mins....

I also do the weekly parkrun ... 5km (3.12 miles) in a field of up to 300 people and the times vary typically between 17 and 50 minutes.

My fastest time this year is 32:42 and my fastest ever is 28:26.

I'm running my 3rd marathon next weekend and I'd be ecstatic if I could do a 20 minute 5km :-)
  • Crimson__Phoenix
    Options
    Its great that you are using the elliptical but you are talking apples and oranges here. The elliptical is a machine and does some of the “work” for you. It’s not a lot of work, but you aren’t running the same as outside. Running outside means dealing with weather elements i.e. hot, cold, wind, sun. Your body has to work hard to adjust to that. The elliptical does not develop new muscle because it does not require the body to apply pressure while moving but, it does tone existing muscle. Running does develop muscle. But the elliptical is a start, it’s better than not running at all and then wondering why a 5K is so difficult
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    yeah the treadmill and real life walking or running is NOTHING like the elliptical machine. nothing..... i can do a lot more on an elliptical machine and then i get on a treadmill and its much harder.... i agree: apples and oranges
  • CookieGem
    CookieGem Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If your talking about running then Hell Yes!!!!!! Id love to be able to do a 20min 5k
  • arubababy
    arubababy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Running that is impressive. Not sure how that converts to eliptical. My OH used to be part of a running club and most of them were around 20 mins. I'd be happy just to run 5k at the moment :)
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    4mins a km!! I wish I could get there!!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is very different from running on the solid ground. Although I applaud your work out (seriously, great job!), running a 5k on solid ground would be a farily fast, about the average women's sprint, where as the elliptical equivalent is not really comparable.

^^^^ This. I can easily do elliptical in that time but I struggle to get near 30 min running on the ground. I feel like the real running is much harder on my body and I have to work a lot harder on controlling my breathing.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    A 20 min 5K is a big benchmark that many people try to hit, and yes it's impressive.

How that translates to doing it on an eliptical, I have no idea, but likely not even close to as impressive.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You're good at elliptical'ing, but that doesn't translate into running.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Not that great on a machine. Needs to be done on the road. Still, that's a terrible time.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Most people can't even do a 30 minute 5k. Very few can do it in 20 minutes or less. My personal best is around 22 minutes.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    A 20 minute 5K is amazing. I'm pretty sure you would place in the top 3 of your age group in most local races. My PB is 28 minutes.