Is a 20 minute 5k really that great

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    would you guys say elptical running and street running are basically equivilant?

:laugh: tumblr_lh4znpp2G31qzjix8.gif
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Regardless of your time - YOU ARE RUNNING and not sitting on the couch! And that's all that matters. Good on you for getting your cardio up!

No. She's not.
    tumblr_lh4znpp2G31qzjix8.gif
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Yea, elliptical does not translate much to actual running, even the treadmill doesn't translate fully to running on actual ground. A 20 minute 5k is very fast. Just to put it in perspective, my roommate is a Marine and they do timed 3 mile runs and these guys are in amazing cardiovascular shape, and an 18 minute time is a perfect score and extremely hard to get. A 20 minute 5k equates to under a 6.5 minutes/mile pace held for just over 3 miles which is very fast.

I must've had some fit mofos in my school then... The record was 4.7km in 12:30

That's approaching the world record! Where did you go to school? Addis?

• MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    would you guys say elptical running and street running are basically equivilant?

No "basically" about it. They are exactly the same in every respect.

Except if someone's chasin you, you'll get a lot better results in escaping with street running.

• margelizard
    margelizard Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it helps, but I am in a similar situation where I get a lot further on the elliptical doing the C25k program than I do with running.

Currently I can do:

3 miles on elliptical in 30 minutes (6 MPH)

OR

1.8 miles jogging/running outdoors in 23 minutes (4.7 MPH)

Either way, the exercise feels awesome so good on you! And that is quite a workout on the elliptical you're getting in! :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Well done llizzy!

Your age is a factor- I used the runners world calculator for age grading, and if I could do a 20 min 5k I'd be better than 87% of females my age.

I'm better than 87% of the females of any age and I don't even run. ;-)

• MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    brb...pantiliner.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Its impressive only if you can run it on a treadmill or on a real outdoor course. My fastest time on the outdoor course is 25:32. That is down from 28:03 in September 2013. And down from 34 minutes when I first started out.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I don't know if it helps, but I am in a similar situation where I get a lot further on the elliptical doing the C25k program than I do with running.

Currently I can do:

3 miles on elliptical in 30 minutes (6 MPH)

OR

1.8 miles jogging/running outdoors in 23 minutes (4.7 MPH)

Either way, the exercise feels awesome so good on you! And that is quite a workout on the elliptical you're getting in! :)

No. It doesn't help b/c it further confuses the issue of actually going "further". Ellipticals don't move....generally, except for this guys weird elliptigo. get on that and then tell us how "far" you went. Apples and oranges.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Yes it is my quickest is 37 mins on a treadmill never done it on the crosstrainer. Not sure you can really compare them though,
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't understand how people think that elliptical distance is the same as running distance. It just boggles the mind. Have they never ran any distance before?

20 minutes for a 5k, fantastic for your average runner.

20 minutes on the elliptical? No clue how that could translate.
  • lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The first time I broke 20 mins for a 5k (by 2 seconds, but hey - my Garmin said 19 minutes something so that's good enough for me) it was the result of a lot of training and I felt incredible. By training, I mean sprints and hill work. Elliptical is not running. It may be a workout, and well done for completing the Couch 2 5k program, but if you want to be a runner get on a treadmill (or even better - take it outside and get some fresh air while you're at it :smile: )
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I honestly don't understand how people think that elliptical distance is the same as running distance. It just boggles the mind. Have they never ran any distance before?

ZERO! IT TRANSLATES TO ZERO!!!!!!!!!!

ELLIPTICALS DON"T MOVE, PEOPLE!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    The first time I broke 20 mins for a 5k (by 2 seconds, but hey - my Garmin said 19 minutes something so that's good enough for me) it was the result of a lot of training and I felt incredible. By training, I mean sprints and hill work. Elliptical is not running. It may be a workout, and well done for completing the Couch 2 5k program, but if you want to be a runner get on a treadmill (or even better - take it outside and get some fresh air while you're at it :smile: )

Okay but were you training for your wedding? If so can you please help me understand? Did this training help with the walking down the aisle or the honeymoon?
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Why are you yelling at me? Have you not had enough chocolate today?

Yeah, I know that it can't translate, but I guess I was too subtle?
  • lightmouse
    Options

Okay but were you training for your wedding? If so can you please help me understand? Did this training help with the walking down the aisle or the honeymoon?

I really don't understand what you are talking about. My point was, it is not easy to do a sub 20 minute 5k, you have to work for it - oh and also that the elliptical is not running.

I don't see anything about weddings in there. But if I WAS getting married, it probably would help with the walking down the aisle and honeymoon because I'd feel confident while I was at it - if that answers your (slightly odd) question?
  • lightmouse
    Options
    I think I may have just fed a troll....? :noway:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I think I may have just fed a troll....? :noway:

Maybe. It's hard to tell.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Why are you yelling at me? Have you not had enough chocolate today?

Yeah, I know that it can't translate, but I guess I was too subtle?

Oh i'm sorry it's just that when one person starts out as THAT dumb, subsequent people's sarcasm can get lost in the mix. Sorry about that.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

I really don't understand what you are talking about. My point was, it is not easy to do a sub 20 minute 5k, you have to work for it - oh and also that the elliptical is not running.

I don't see anything about weddings in there. But if I WAS getting married, it probably would help with the walking down the aisle and honeymoon because I'd feel confident while I was at it - if that answers your (slightly odd) question?

The op states that someone was training a co worker for their wedding. With running? I don't get that. So I thought I'd ask you. Did you read the OP does it read that way to you?