Is a 20 minute 5k really that great

Options

Replies

• davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    My Elliptigo does it in 12 parsecs

There is so much wrong with this statement that it is totally right!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    A 20min 5k outside is heading towards elite runners times, hell I would be happy with running a 35min 5k outside (I don't even look at distances on the cross trainers, the only time I use them is PT when I'm doing either tabbata or fartlek)!!

Try running outside to get a comparison??

There is a calculator that will give you an age grading where you put your distance, age and sex in and it shows where you sit within your peer group (gives you a better idea but still not an exact marker)

20 minutes is not even close to elite.

Its impressive for your basic runner in the hometown 5K, but not elite.

I'll settle for impressive for your basic runner in the hometown 5k. :bigsmile:

We have a small running community but do have some really great runners here but they are either very young, under 25 or over 40. 20 minutes would put me at the top of my age group until the fast chick's next birthday. :grumble:
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    that is super fast. the fastest 5K runs I have done have had runners do it in 18 min or so and that is just lightning fast. my fastest 5K has been 32:30 but that is with massive hills. so yeah you are doing great at 20min 5K
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Speaking of Mo Farah, if you all haven't seen this yet, you should

http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/awful-mo-farah-interview-complete-transcript

Here are a few highlights of the interview about the Rock ’n Roll New Orleans Half Marathon:

NORTON: "Wow. Now, I have to say -- first of all, congratulations. Your final time, 61 minutes? Which is a course record? Congratulations!"

FARAH: "Oh, no, thank you. It's a great-- You know, it's a fast course, so it was nice to break the course record, really enjoyed it. ..."

NORTON: "Now, haven't you run before?"

FARAH: [wonderful pause] "S- sorry?"

NORTON: "Haven't you run before? This isn't your first time."

FARAH: "No. This isn't my first time. ..."

NORTON: "Wow. What does it take to prepare for a marathon like this?"

FARAH: "Uh... I haven't done a marathon yet. ... A marathon's a long way. It's completely -- it's double the distance of what I've done today."

NORTON: "Once again: The male winner of the Rock 'N' Roll Marathon, uh, Mo Farah, running 61 minutes, setting a course record."

I'm so confused. Why is the interviewer asking if he's ever ran before. And he calls it a marathon instead of a half. Is he completely clueless?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Here are a few highlights of the interview about the Rock ’n Roll New Orleans Half Marathon:

NORTON: "Wow. Now, I have to say -- first of all, congratulations. Your final time, 61 minutes? Which is a course record? Congratulations!"

FARAH: "Oh, no, thank you. It's a great-- You know, it's a fast course, so it was nice to break the course record, really enjoyed it. ..."

FARAH: "Uh... I haven't done a marathon yet. ... A marathon's a long way. It's completely -- it's double the distance of what I've done today."

NORTON: "Once again: The male winner of the Rock 'N' Roll Marathon, uh, Mo Farah, running 61 minutes, setting a course record."

I'm so confused. Why is the interviewer asking if he's ever ran before. And he calls it a marathon instead of a half. Is he completely clueless?

You think you're confused...you should see the video of Farrah. LOL.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

That is hilarious.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

The interviewer is completely ignorant on the topic of running/racing. She called it a marathon when it was really a half, and did it again after he corrected her.

Pretty sure we all have met a "yeah I've run a 5K marathon once" person at one point in our lives
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Oh I see. I actually clicked the link. What a moron. Do you like coffee? I like coffee.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Hell, I can drive 5K in less than 2 minutes.

My jetpack can do it under one.

I made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs. I've outrun Imperial starships. Not the local bulk cruisers mind you.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Oh I see. I actually clicked the link. What a moron. Do you like coffee? I like coffee.

Turtles.
  • stmcfred
    stmcfred Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    20 minutes for a 5k is really impressive. However, I don't think running a 5k (either on the treadmill or outside) and a 5k on an elliptical is the same thing.

It's a 6:27 pace which isn't easy. Even some of the awesome runners I run with can't do that.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My best 5k time is 22:31. I'd give my left arm (figuratively) to shave another 2:30 off my 5k time. It's actually a goal to do by the end of 2015. 21:00 this year and 20:00 next year. I'm by far not the fastest lady my age, but for a recreational runner I do pretty good. I would likely be skeptical if someone who doesn't run and just did C25K came out of the gate with a 20:00 5k, but I'd also not openly question them and certainly celebrate their accomplishment.

Unless we run the same race together, largely we take other runners at their word for their race times. Unless someone is super creeper and looks up their race results on line to verify.

Good for you making such a great 5K time. 3.1 miles in under 20 minutes is pretty darned good for a novice runner!!!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Hell, I can drive 5K in less than 2 minutes.

My jetpack can do it under one.

I made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs. I've outrun Imperial starships. Not the local bulk cruisers mind you.

You don't have to do that to impress me, you know.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    My best 5k time is 22:31. I'd give my left arm (figuratively) to shave another 2:30 off my 5k time. It's actually a goal to do by the end of 2015. 21:00 this year and 20:00 next year. I'm by far not the fastest lady my age, but for a recreational runner I do pretty good. I would likely be skeptical if someone who doesn't run and just did C25K came out of the gate with a 20:00 5k, but I'd also not openly question them and certainly celebrate their accomplishment.

Unless we run the same race together, largely we take other runners at their word for their race times. Unless someone is super creeper and looks up their race results on line to verify.

Good for you making such a great 5K time. 3.1 miles in under 20 minutes is pretty darned good for a novice runner!!!

Some C25kers have had 25 minute 5k times. :grumble:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Agreed.

And I've been wondering for 35ish years why the Millenium Falcon's time is measured in units of distance.
  • flabbybunker
    flabbybunker Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Damn Straight that impressive. Im aiming for that by next year . Im aiming for 35 minutes this year . For the record, when I was just exercising and never eating right, I was able to hit 42 minutes and that was with me sleeping wrong the night before and my side burning the whole time. I could probably have hit late 30's otherwise.
    But what you do is like impressive I mean supersayn impressive :)
  • likitisplit
    Options

Agreed.

And I've been wondering for 35ish years why the Millenium Falcon's time is measured in units of distance.

Is there some sort of nerd trophy, because I think sjohnny just won it.
  • sissysoso
    sissysoso Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Regardless of your time - YOU ARE RUNNING and not sitting on the couch! And that's all that matters. Good on you for getting your cardio up!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Regardless of your time - YOU ARE RUNNING and not sitting on the couch! And that's all that matters. Good on you for getting your cardio up!

lol someone obviously didn't read the OP.
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Agreed.

Apparently because the falcon was able to navigate closer to some of the more dangerous anamolies in that region of space.
    So rather than taking the "safer" 18 parsec route, the falcon was able to take a less safe 12 parsec route, closer to black holes and that sort of thing... apparently, or so was the theory floating around out there

It was probably just Han Solo trying to show off though, he was a bit of a bull*******

:laugh:

I'll get me coat...