Is a 20 minute 5k really that great

Options

Replies

• eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    A 20 minute 5k is a great time (regardless of age, gender, etc), IMO. My PR is 22:56, 7:24 pace, which I was proud of... I'd love to get down to 20 minutes at some point.

That being said... the elliptical is totally different compared to running, especially if on a low resistance level, etc. There are also no conditions such as hills.

Whenever I do use the elliptical, I make sure to use high resistance levels, so it's a more grueling workout for me. I have found that doing intervals on the elliptical is a great workout for me - 1 minute of very high resistance followed by 2 minutes of moderate resistance and keep repeating :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    A 20 minute 5K is amazing. I'm pretty sure you would place in the top 3 of your age group in most local races. My PB is 28 minutes.

This is completely false

Around here it isn't. I placed 4th in my age group with the 28 minutes I ran.

Well, there's too many variables for anyone to really say what an effective placing time is. A 28min 5K where I live means you have to click on "page 4" of the official results list to find your name. Page one is all 17min and below, and mostly male.

Sure. And in my defense, I did say "in your age group"

Depends on the age group. I'm a 42 year old woman... The OP is 28, and that would still be pretty fast.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    A 20 minute 5K is amazing. I'm pretty sure you would place in the top 3 of your age group in most local races. My PB is 28 minutes.

This is completely false

Well, there's too many variables for anyone to really say what an effective placing time is. A 28min 5K where I live means you have to click on "page 4" of the official results list to find your name. Page one is all 17min and below, and mostly male.

Sure. And in my defense, I did say "in your age group"

No need to defend :)

Are we just ignoring the guy who put quotes around "runner"?
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    A 20min 5k outside is heading towards elite runners times, hell I would be happy with running a 35min 5k outside (I don't even look at distances on the cross trainers, the only time I use them is PT when I'm doing either tabbata or fartlek)!!

Try running outside to get a comparison??

There is a calculator that will give you an age grading where you put your distance, age and sex in and it shows where you sit within your peer group (gives you a better idea but still not an exact marker)
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

This is completely false

20 minutes on pavement will generally give a woman a placement in a smaller race. It is impressive. Elliptical is a completely different exercise than running on pavement. It's still a great pace, though.

20:00 would be the top woman in most local 5ks.

For comparison, at my last 5k, the top woman ran a 20:32, 2nd was 20:40. 3rd was 21:20
    At my next race, last year the winning woman ran a 15:16... That was almost 2:00 slower than the winning man too. 10th was 16:28. The BAA 5k, 2 days before the marathon, attracts world class racers.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    A 20min 5k outside is heading towards elite runners times, hell I would be happy with running a 35min 5k outside (I don't even look at distances on the cross trainers, the only time I use them is PT when I'm doing either tabbata or fartlek)!!

Try running outside to get a comparison??

There is a calculator that will give you an age grading where you put your distance, age and sex in and it shows where you sit within your peer group (gives you a better idea but still not an exact marker)

20 minutes is not even close to elite.

Its impressive for your basic runner in the hometown 5K, but not elite.
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Well, it takes me 40 minutes so it would certainly be enough to impress me. LOL
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    5k walking at a fast pace takes me about 50 minutes...so yes great job!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Hell, I can drive 5K in less than 2 minutes.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

This is completely false

I think it also depends on how many people have signed up for the 5K and how popular is the race :wink:
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have no idea but you can be sure I am going to find out tomorrow what my time is.. I would imagine it'll be 45 mins ish (that was what it was last time I was going to the gym)
  • charissh
    charissh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I do a 5k on the elliptical in 40 mins (middle resistance) but have run a 29 minute 5k... the two are completely different
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm slower on the elliptical than running on treadmill or on pavement, so I applaud you. I'm impressed!
  • likitisplit
    Options

My jetpack can do it under one.
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Totally different exercises...I have been running for years and can't get under 27 minutes for a 5k. Just not built for speed I guess.

Still, good job working out on the elliptical. I'm not sure if 5k is a good distance in 20 minutes (as I suspect that would greatly depend on resistance level) but either way, if you're working out and making progress then I say you're doing great!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

My jetpack can do it under one.

My Elliptigo does it in 12 parsecs
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

This is completely false

Not really sure what point you are trying to make? Perhaps you could post up some results from your "local" races to make your point. But I can unequivocally say that you are completely wrong. While it "may" be false in some cases, it is certainly not false "completely", I only looked at the most recent race that would be "local" for me and the overall female winners time was 21:35.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options

Mo Farah, the world's fastest man, can run 5km in 13 minutes.

But the elliptical isn't running.

Going to have to disagree, he may be the fastest competing man over 10,000m, however Bolt can run the 100m faster, there are athletes that can run a marathon faster, he's the fastest competing man over a specific distance.
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    I agree with the others - your 5K time using an elliptical or treadmill is not the same as running a 5K on the road. The elliptical and treadmill both "push" you along and do a lot of the work for you :wink:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Speaking of Mo Farah, if you all haven't seen this yet, you should

http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/awful-mo-farah-interview-complete-transcript

Here are a few highlights of the interview about the Rock ’n Roll New Orleans Half Marathon:

NORTON: "Wow. Now, I have to say -- first of all, congratulations. Your final time, 61 minutes? Which is a course record? Congratulations!"

FARAH: "Oh, no, thank you. It's a great-- You know, it's a fast course, so it was nice to break the course record, really enjoyed it. ..."

NORTON: "Now, haven't you run before?"

FARAH: [wonderful pause] "S- sorry?"

NORTON: "Haven't you run before? This isn't your first time."

FARAH: "No. This isn't my first time. ..."

NORTON: "Wow. What does it take to prepare for a marathon like this?"

FARAH: "Uh... I haven't done a marathon yet. ... A marathon's a long way. It's completely -- it's double the distance of what I've done today."

NORTON: "Once again: The male winner of the Rock 'N' Roll Marathon, uh, Mo Farah, running 61 minutes, setting a course record."