Is a 20 minute 5k really that great

Options

Replies

• Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Elliptical doesn't count in my opinion when talking about 5k times. At my peak fitness level my best time was in the 23 minute area, now it's probably 28 minutes.

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    5k in 20 mins on elliptical =/= to running 5k in 20 mins - not even close actually.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    On the elliptical? No. Running on the treadmill or outside? Yes.

The distance on the elliptical doesn't translate well to actually walking or running.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    A 20 minute 5K is amazing. I'm pretty sure you would place in the top 3 of your age group in most local races. My PB is 28 minutes.

This is completely false
  • garyst2014
    Options
    I can do a 10.5 minute 5K with the Concept 2 rower.:smile:
    Keep up the good work! You're getting stronger every day.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    20 minute on the elliptical is not the same, in any way, as a 20 minute 5k on the road.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    A 20 minute 5K is amazing. I'm pretty sure you would place in the top 3 of your age group in most local races. My PB is 28 minutes.

This is completely false

Around here it isn't. I placed 4th in my age group with the 28 minutes I ran.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

This is completely false

Well, there's too many variables for anyone to really say what an effective placing time is. A 28min 5K where I live means you have to click on "page 4" of the official results list to find your name. Page one is all 17min and below, and mostly male.
  • amyhoss
    Options

This is completely false

Well, there's too many variables for anyone to really say what an effective placing time is. A 28min 5K where I live means you have to click on "page 4" of the official results list to find your name. Page one is all 17min and below, and mostly male.

Sure. And in my defense, I did say "in your age group"
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I've been running consistently for the last 4 years and just broke 25 minutes for the 5k last summer and run a 2-hour half marathon. 20 minutes is fast for the average age-grouper. The elliptical doesn't count though :tongue:
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

This is completely false

20 minutes on pavement will generally give a woman a placement in a smaller race. It is impressive. Elliptical is a completely different exercise than running on pavement. It's still a great pace, though.
  • amyhoss
    Options
    Wait a minute...I just realized she said she ran that on an elliptical (I automatically read treadmill). That's not the same at all.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    On the elliptical? I'm not even sure what "mileage" means. The elliptical isn't going anywhere and the mileage has no relationship to reality. You can't even compare two different brands of ellipticals. It's possible that it's *harder* to do a 20-minute 5K on your elliptical than it is to run one.

You've said an injury prevents you from running long distances, but to get a sense of what it's like to run at the pace required to do that, just hop on the treadmill for 30 seconds or so at 9.3 miles per hour and a 1% incline. If you feel like you could sustain that for another 19.5 minutes, then you might be able to run a 20-minute 5K.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Not gonna lie, but these things look like a lot of fun. I just wouldn't want to be seen riding one by anybody on this planet.

ElliptiGo-The-Elliptical-Bicycle.jpg
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

This is completely false

No need to defend :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Agreed with everyone who says it's not really like running a 5k. Still good though. Keep up the good work. :)
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie, but these things look like a lot of fun. I just wouldn't want to be seen riding one by anybody on this planet.

I'd want EVERYONE to see me if I had one of those. Now I know what I want for my birthday.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

This is completely false

And the OP is 28, according to profile, so at peak lifetime athletic performance age group. Mistaken identity there me thinks.
  • amyhoss
    Options

I'd want EVERYONE to see me if I had one of those. Now I know what I want for my birthday.

Ahh haha. That's very awkward looking. I'm sure those will be flying off the shelves.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

Ahh haha. That's very awkward looking. I'm sure those will be flying off the shelves.

I'd rather do a century ride on a tandem bicycle with my ex-wife