Why am I not losing? I want your opion!

Options

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Dang it! I just realized I forgot to log an apple, so I actually had 1727 calories not the 1627 (which is ALREADY 27 over) I thought I had. No wonder I gained a freaking pound over night. If I had known that I wouldn't have had the stupid protein shake. Those things ALWAYS make me gain weight. But they are so good for recovery and I was hurtin' after the workout last night. DANG IT. FML. SMH.

You have to be 3500 over to gain a pound so you just have a fluctuation. Don't weigh every day
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    Thanks you guys for all the support. I do plan on trying this at least through Sunday, however, I have to weigh myself daily because I am more capable than most of gaining drastic amounts of weight in a short period of time, so it has to be monitored for sanity. I'd much rather be upset that I gained a pound than find myself 15lb up in a week.

I am going to try to stick with this 1,600 through Sunday at least. I can't believe I forgot to log that stupid apple. It threw my whole damn day off!

I keep MFP up on my phone and work computer, how can I just sit there and scarf down an apple and not log it!

GRRRRRRR!!!

I was probably BSing in the forums while I ate it!

Are you serious about this apple? Honestly I hope you are kidding. One apple will not cause a lb of weight gain. Aren't you more worried about the fast food and alcohol?
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    It's not really what it was, but that I forgot to log it, so at the end of the day when I was deciding whether or not to go for protein shake I decided even though it'd put me 20 calories over, it'd be all good for recovery.

If the forgotten item was logged, I would have either skipped the protein drink or altered the serving size to fit the calorie goal I was going for.

It just so happens it was an apple that I forgot to log because I scarfed it down at my desk in the middle of a busy day at work.

:sad:
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I'm really trying to go for consistency in my calories, get as close as I can to 1,600 as per the advice I've been getting in this thread.
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    Ok but do you get that one apple didn't cause a pound gain?
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Looks like my plateau might possibly be broken at 185.4 this morning.

Cheers! Hoping it keeps up~!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Weighing every day is fine. But you really need to get a handle on those expectations. If dropping almost 2 pounds one day makes you say you might have broken your plateau, you're going to be freaking out that you're gaining weight if your weight bumps up by almost two pounds around your period.

You'll know whether that plateau has been broken in about six weeks (yes, weeks; your body takes time to adjust to new things). Just chill!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Wait so you called me out on telling her to stick to a 1500 calorie diet but then you tell her to stick to a 1600 calorie diet...
    No. I called you out on pulling the magic number of 1500 out of a hat, and telling her to stick to that every day tops. I have been working with OP for *months* with actual data from her own logging; I didn't just magically invent the number 1600. I also specifically didn't say to eat 1600 tops every day. And I also called you out on the "drink water when you're hungry" thing. That's just ridiculous. Have you ever been hungry?!

But mostly I called you out for your prescriptive statements about her behavior. I'm making suggestions for things she can try, but the only thing I have told her she "needs" to do is manage expectations. And even then I don't really think I should be telling her what to do. What I should have said was, "If you don't want to be driven crazy by the scale, adjusting your expectations will go a long way to preventing that."
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    187.2 again. At this point it's almost comical.

March 25: 909 calories over goal
    March 26: 624 calories over goal.
    March 27: 150 calories over goal.
    March 28: 633 calories over goal.
    March 29: 1184 calories over goal.
    March 30: 381 calories under goal.
    March 31: IT'S ALMOST COMICAL HOW MY WEIGHT WON'T GO DOWN.

Wut?
  • wilsoje74
    Options

You also didn't lose 2 lb in 1 day just like you didn't gain a pound in one day. Please weigh in a couple weeks and do yourself a favor and step away from the scale in that time. What you have seen I. The last few days is your body's normal fluctuations,
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    187.2 again. At this point it's almost comical.

March 25: 909 calories over goal
    March 26: 624 calories over goal.
    March 27: 150 calories over goal.
    March 28: 633 calories over goal.
    March 29: 1184 calories over goal.
    March 30: 381 calories under goal.
    March 31: IT'S ALMOST COMICAL HOW MY WEIGHT WON'T GO DOWN.

Wut?
    But the daily average for the previous month was about 1760. Before I was really lifting, that would maintain my weight without exercise. OP is more active and younger than me, so I would expect her NEAT to be a bit higher than that.

OK, I will be "scientific" and assume a 20% error in the unfavorable direction (since packaged foods are allowed to vary by that much, it seems reasonable enough for non-packaged food too). That would put her "actual" (adjusted for error) intake at 2112 (the most awesome number!), which, I am sad to say, does sound like a reasonable TDEE.

So, I know you have been using a food scale and everything, but it may be time to revisit the "you're eating more than you think you are" thread.

So, when normally you'd have 3.5 pints of Guinness, consider having only 2.5 pints. When you'd normally have 6 bottles of lite beer, try only 4 bottles, and when you'd have 5 bottles, consider having only 3. I really bet you wouldn't notice a difference in your enjoyment and satiety. And if that amount you're drinking causes you to lose count of how many you have and how much you eat, then absolutely cut back to whatever level you need to in order to avoid that, even if it's lower than what I suggest above!

I would also suggest considering decreasing your fat intake a little bit. I know fats are very important, but overall you are getting on average 90 grams of fat per day. What if you tried just reducing your added fats by 1/3? So, instead of a tablespoon of butter, you would use 2 teaspoons, and instead of 3 oz. of cheese, use 2 oz. of cheese, instead of 3 tablespoons of peanut butter, use 2 tablespoons, and instead of 3 eggs, maybe 2 whole eggs and one egg white? Can you switch to center-cut bacon instead of regular bacon, and extra-lean (96/4) ground beef? It's difficult to find lower-fat sausage, but sausage is awesome, so what about eating half the amount of sausage you'd normally eat, and then swap out the rest for an equal weight of smoked turkey breast? That's what I usually get when I go for barbecue. You'll get way more protein too. Bacon and sausage are s hite for protein.

And if I had my druthers, you would let go of the paleo label. The amount of dairy, peanuts, beer and chocolate (at least within the past month when I'm looking at the individual food choices) is not really consistent with my understanding of a paleo diet. And that is OK. You can totally eat all the paleo stuff you love AND all the non-paleo stuff you love, guilt-free with an IIFYM diet. Of course, all successful diets are IIFYM, it's just a matter of what your particular macro choices are. I would just suggest increasing your protein macro by about 35 grams per day and decreasing your fat macro by about 30 grams per day.

If I were in your shoes, that would be my main approach. Trading fattier choices for higher-protein, leaner choices, while still being sure to eat sufficient fat. Again, paying attention to meeting your macros will mean everything else takes care of itself.

A reasonable goal to my mind would be 110 grams of carbs, 130 grams of protein and 60 grams of fat. Shoot to make sure you always meet your protein and fat, and if you want to undereat anything to bank chocolate and beer calories, you do it from the carbs (but bear in mind you still need to eat adequate fruits and vegetables every day despite that). You shouldn't really need to, though, because the above leaves room for about eight Reese's mini cups and two pints of Guinness or four bottles of lite beer per week. So you'd still get to enjoy them (in moderation!).

What do you think about that idea?
  • BENNYDOOR
    BENNYDOOR Posts: 23
    Options
    I see you eat a tiny breakfast and huge dinner... dinner should be the smallest meal of the day, breakfast the biggest so you have all day to burn it. Also, those who drink artificial sweeteners have a 70% bigger waistline then those who drink regular. Artificial sweeteners trick your brain into thinking you just had calories, but the brain isn't stupid, 20 minutes later, you will be craving more food then ever... stay away from soda pop.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I wish people would stop calling Stevia extract artificial sweetener.

I know you're coming from a positive place and trying to share wisdom you've gleamed over the years, but it's inaccurate in regards to Stevia.

While what you're saying about "artificial sweetener" is true, in regards to artificial sweetners.

Stevia extract is an alcohol extraction of an herb, therefore, not even remotely artificial.

It also has been tested and doesn't spike the insulin the way aspartame and splenda do.

It's actually an insulin sensitizer, which is helpful in regulating blood sugar levels.

I realize alcohol extractions aren't as mainstream so many people haven't heard of them.

Here's some info:

http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-make-liquid-stevia-extract/

Put it on the deal breaker list, I'm not quitting Stevia, I love it, and would recommend anyone to read up on it for more info if you're so inclined or also trying to quit drinking soda pops.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I wonder what would happen to my weight if I stayed in my calorie goal every day of April??? Hmmm... is it even possible? I'm on a roll... 4 days in under the goal every time.
  • jennifer8989
    jennifer8989 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    April 3, 2014 4:49 PM
    I NEED HELP !!
    Please feel free to look at my diary and tell me what I am doing wrong !
    I started working out jan 10th 2014 we are now in April 2014 I have only lost 2 pounds !!
    I do see more muscle and have lost an over all total of
    8 -10 inches off my entire body but the weights just not coming off .
    I stay in my calorie range as much as possible . Between 1,200-1,300 sometimes a little over depending on my workouts .
    I work out 5 days a week doing mostly body weight exercises or weights through fitnessblender .com I might skip a day if I'm really sore or not feeling well .
    I do lack entering foods on weekends but I still keep an eye on what I'm eating .
    I eat fast food a lot since I'm out a lot but I eat in moderation for example I'll have a bottle of water a mcchicken no bread and no sauces just the chicken and lettuce only.
    I'm working on my water intake but overall water is the only thing I drink besides plain sugarless iced coffee or a pre workout.
    I am healthy no health issues but vitamin d deficiency which I have been taking vitamins for .

Any suggestions I'm willing to hear all your opinions anything could help .

Thanks in advance .:)
    Edited by jennifer8989 On April 3, 2014 4:51 PM
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I see you eat a tiny breakfast and huge dinner... dinner should be the smallest meal of the day, breakfast the biggest so you have all day to burn it. Also, those who drink artificial sweeteners have a 70% bigger waistline then those who drink regular. Artificial sweeteners trick your brain into thinking you just had calories, but the brain isn't stupid, 20 minutes later, you will be craving more food then ever... stay away from soda pop.

I don't want it to sound like I was jumping down your throat though, I appreciate your input and yes I know soda is the devil and I agree I should have less, although I was clear of almost all of it for several months, I've been kind of picking up the bad habit again, but not as severely. In June of 2012 it was not uncommon for me to have 5 x 32oz Diet Cokes daily! I can hardly believe that but it is disturbingly true!

A lot of people have been calling Stevia artificial sweetener on this thread, and before I had figured out my game plan I was just categorizing those comments in the "not useful" category and moving on with making a TDEE game plan. But now here presents itself for a perfect opportunity to explain why I did brush off that advice.

It's not that I don't appreciate people trying to give advice, just that I've done extensive research on this one and feel like it's OK for us to just agree to disagree on this particular topic.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    [/quote]
    So, when normally you'd have 3.5 pints of Guinness, consider having only 2.5 pints. When you'd normally have 6 bottles of lite beer, try only 4 bottles, and when you'd have 5 bottles, consider having only 3. I really bet you wouldn't notice a difference in your enjoyment and satiety. And if that amount you're drinking causes you to lose count of how many you have and how much you eat, then absolutely cut back to whatever level you need to in order to avoid that, even if it's lower than what I suggest above!

[/quote]

I actually did cut back from six tablespoons of half and half to four, and was able to still enjoy the coffee and the creaminess.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options

Lol wut?

State scientific reasoning behind the breakfast/dinner thing. Please.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Yeah, no.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I wonder what would happen to my weight if I stayed in my calorie goal every day of April??? Hmmm... is it even possible? I'm on a roll... 4 days in under the goal every time.

Give it a shot if you can manage, why not?