TOO CHUBBY FOR MY TWENTIES (OCTOBER CHALLENGE!)!

Options

Replies

• kattungen
    Options
    Weigh-in today, and I'm really disappointed. Down 0,2 kg (0.45 lbs) in a week, which makes it almost impossible to reach my goal by November 1st. *sigh* I know this past week hasn't been good food OR exercise-wise, but with four papers due and a final, tracking calories and working out hasn't been my main focus.

Oh well - I still hae one more weigh-in this month, and will do my absolutely best to reach my goal by then! :D
  • emmyworthy
    emmyworthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Kattungen- I know exactly how you feel!! I lost 2lbs again this weigh in which I am happy with but I wish I had just set my goal a little lower so that I'm not gonna be disheartened next friday when I'm not under 200lbs! Because I really don't think my body is able to shift 7lbs in one week!!!hahaha! I'm still really happy though and you should be proud of yourself for losing at all!!!!

Aly- Listen to the girlies and hide those scales where you won't find them! In fact ask your boyfriend to hide them....I'm sure he'd be happy to do that for you=]haha! Don't be put off by a bad weigh in, just power through and get your boyfriend involved in your workouts!!! That'll stop him moaning at you for being obsessed... because he'll be too out of breath to talk!!! We're all here so instead of taking out your frustrations on him vent them on this thread and I'm sure you'll notice a difference in the relationship! I only ever fill my boyfriend in on the good stuff that's happening in my weight loss and then I use you lot as a shoulder to moan on=]

So lost another 2lbs today, which means I will probably not be under 200lbs by the end of October, but I couldn't care less!!!!! I know I'll be under 200lbs a few weeks later and the fact that I'm feeling the healthiest and fittest I have for years is success enough for me for this month. I think my next months aim won't be so dependent on weight. Maybe I'll focus on getting my workouts regular and often instead!!!!!

I definitely agree on the new name though!!!! Chubby is so depressing to read whenever I click on this thread!!!

Let's carry on kicking *kitten*=]
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys. I have really been getting down on myself too much lately I think hiding the scale for a bit is a good thing. I also have an appointment with a nutritionist this sunday to see if maybe what I am eating is affecting my mood as well. I can't let food stress me out, and I have an addictive personality so that makes it hard. But this weekend I am going to work out with my man, and have a good food weekend, mixing fun in as well.

Question: do you guys have a few drinks a week? How do you incorporate alcohol in your weight loss program?
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I have a few drinks a week. My boyfriend is really into beer and has just started brewing his own. So we are always out so that he can try different ones. If I know ahead of time that I will be having a few drinks later at night then I will try to allow myself enough calories for that without cheating myself from the healthy, nutritional food that my body needs. And if we go out at the last minute then I will try to get in some extra exercise the following day to make up for it.
  • emmyworthy
    emmyworthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Every twenty something girl needs a bit of alcohol now and then=]
    I've been pretty good considering I'm in my last year at university and all my friends are out CONSTANTLY!!!
    I've been out drinking about 4 times since I started MFP. Every time I was the life and soul of the party because I got slightly tipsy!!!
    I stick to Gin and Slimline Tonic. It's only about 60 calories per 25ml of Gin and then add a little tonic to taste! I do try and have low calorie days if I'm planning a drinking session though....just in case I go overboard!
    You can't completely cut the bad stuff out of your life....which is why MFP is here so we can log it and learn from it=]
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Except this one :laugh: Ive been sober since Sept 2009. Spent years drinking myself into obesity throughout University and called it quits last year. I was a VERY social drinker - usually about 4 times a week with friends. Partied way too much for my own good. Decided that I love food way too much to sacrifice calories on alcohol and gave it up. It was hard, esp because at the time I was also a chain smoker (gave that up and still struggle a lot with it)... If you are able to moderate with your drinking and make room in your food diary for it, then do it! Enjoy a drink once or twice a week and don't feel guilty. But if it is a recipe for sabotage, I say cut your losses and find other ways to socialize. So much easier that way - at least it was for me!

Gin and tonic or other mixed drinks with soda/water are probable your best bet. That or wine (red wine if you like it). I'd steer clear of beers if you can. Pre-mixed stuff you can buy at the store, like margaritas and that is LOADED with sugar so be aware of that. Most of all, don't lose sight of the journey. One drink isn't going to kill you! So if you really crave something - have it, log it, and forget about it :smile: Make up for it the next day.

-Meag :heart:
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Yea I'm the freak who never drank, really ever. Type A Personality to the extreme! It never really fit into my life and by the time it was legal to drink, I just was so scandalized at how much booze cost (esp when I could have cheezy fries instead). So I am more on than infrequent side than most- but I like to save it for special occasions and/or treats like I do with desserts or anything else. But I think Meag said it best- plan for it best you can, and if you go overboard, deal with it then.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

I am an exception, too - but, even though I'm only halfway through my 20's, I am in a bit different of a life situation than most women my age and am a bit "old" for my age. I have been a mom for over 8 years and am married with a full time job and lots of outside commitments as well. I don't have the time or inclination to drink anymore - I did that in my teens and only got into trouble. I might have one light beer a couple of times a year, but that's it.

That being said, if you DO have a drink, make sure you have been eating healthy, nutritious foods during the day, have the calories to spare, and drink EXTRA water.
  • miss_amy
    miss_amy Posts: 351
    Options
    Except this one :laugh: Ive been sober since Sept 2009. Spent years drinking myself into obesity throughout University and called it quits last year. I was a VERY social drinker - usually about 4 times a week with friends. Partied way too much for my own good. Decided that I love food way too much to sacrifice calories on alcohol and gave it up. It was hard, esp because at the time I was also a chain smoker (gave that up and still struggle a lot with it)... If you are able to moderate with your drinking and make room in your food diary for it, then do it! Enjoy a drink once or twice a week and don't feel guilty. But if it is a recipe for sabotage, I say cut your losses and find other ways to socialize. So much easier that way - at least it was for me!

Gin and tonic or other mixed drinks with soda/water are probable your best bet. That or wine (red wine if you like it). I'd steer clear of beers if you can. Pre-mixed stuff you can buy at the store, like margaritas and that is LOADED with sugar so be aware of that. Most of all, don't lose sight of the journey. One drink isn't going to kill you! So if you really crave something - have it, log it, and forget about it :smile: Make up for it the next day.

Congrats, Meag, on sober living! I don't think I could ever be completely sober- I like my occasional drinks, but I definitely respect everyone who stays sober! :)

Emmy, I definitely agree that *most* people can use a drink now & then! I used to drink ALL THE TIME. I've now cut it down extremely. I might have a few drinks on the weekends (usually not every weekend) & for celebrations but I hardly ever go overboard anymore. I, too, make sure I set aside enough calories to drink or else I don't touch the booze! :) Everything in moderation, I say.

Congrats to everyone on their losses so far this month. I love this group! Sorry I haven't been an extremely active poster, but I do read everyone's comments!

Also, I'm definitely up for a group name change! I like the Kickin *kitten* one or we could do something like "Taking Charge of Our Twenties" or something. Whatever! I'm down. :)

Here's my update:

So if you've been reading along, you've probably noticed I've been struggling to get some weight loss for a few weeks. It's been really frustrating but I told myself I wouldn't give up and I'm not. I peeked at the scale this morning and I had a wee loss- hoping it will go down a little bit more for my official weigh in. I changed around some eating habits & my workout routine so I am confident I will see that loss! One thing I've learned from this: It's not always going to be easy. Don't give up! It will pay off! :)

Have a great weekend everyone!!
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I appreciate this group and this community generally so much.

Since I've started losing weight, I can't even remember a time I felt more confident about myself. I've always been overweight and I'm still heavier than I want to be, but knowing that I'm accomplishing so much makes me feel excellent.

I've lost 24 pounds right now and finally am not considered "obese" anymore. I thought this would be a lot harder than it has been. I don't know why I didn't try it before.
  • I just started myfitnesspal today. I want to loose 20 pounds by my 24th birthday! (DECEMBER 8TH)
  • meagalayne
    Options
    I just started myfitnesspal today. I want to loose 20 pounds by my 24th birthday! (DECEMBER 8TH)
    Great to have you on board! We're going to start a new thread Nov 1st with our monthly goals. You should definitely join in, post your goals, and use the forums as a means for keeping yourself motivated and accountable. It's such a great group!

Liz - I know what you mean! It's crazy that I hadn't tried this before, but I am so glad that I am here now and making it count :bigsmile: So glad to have you on board! Your success is really inspiring. And your cooking is fab, too :laugh:

Amy - Love your attitude :happy: So glad you're sticking with it. I'm sure your body is loving you for it. I'm pretty confident you're going to see a loss too. And even if you don't, you've made so many strides with your fitness this month you have loads to be happy about!

Keep it up everyone. All your updates are so awesome to read :bigsmile:
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    just bringing it forward so i can keep track easier :) good job everyone!

Mid month refresh! Re-add your goals if you're still in the challenge!

meagalayne: To reach 135lbs, complete my 10k race, and be able to do 5 full regular push-ups - 0.8lbs to go!
    inskydiamonds: use the WiiFit at least 5 times a week for at least half hour sessions. Increase the amount of good fats I'm eating and decrease my sodium intake.
    cshaffer213: Lose a total of 20 lbs - Started @ 8 and am curently @ 18.5 only 1.5 lbs left!! :D
    TheNewStacie: Lose 5 lbs, get in at least 3 days of cardio
    miss_amy: To lose 4 more lbs & work out 5 days a week!
    Meggonkgonk: To reach 162 lbs & to have a 10 mile single week running mileage
    LostAlykat: To weigh less than 170, to make it to the AM workout class 2 times a week/ workout 5 days a week.
    Stuartme123: To weigh less than 160lbs, to work out at least 3 days a week
    sophieg77: to lose 3 kilos. 1k to go!
    *** TheAmateur- To lose 7lbs (almost there ... maybe I should adjust it to 10lbs ?!?!?) ***
    spellbinder25 - Lose 8 lbs by end of October, exercise 5 days a week and eat healthy (= avoid desserts)! - 4 lbs to go & doing pretty well on the desserts :)
    Allie7383: To begin and stick with the TurboFire schedule for Oct (and beyond), and get into the 160's... officially weighed in at 168 this morning!! new goal will be to be under 165.
    emmyworthy: Have lost 13 lbs so far( nearly a stone woohoooo!) still hoping to be under 200lbs by the 31st but if it doesn't happen i'm okay with losing around 18-20lbs=]
    tjradd73-lose 10lbs (down 7lbs and 3lbs to go!)
    Steph_135 - To reach 183 lbs by Halloween, workout more than I am now (2-3 times a week), and to buy new running shoes.
    MeganKS - to reach a weight below 200lbs for the first time in over a year, work out for at least 30 min a day, incorporate more fruits and veggies into my daily food intake
    christzl - lose 8 lbs by end of October (lose 60lbs in total)
    Paigeb15- my already planned goal for the month was to run my first 5K (completed on 10/16! at 34 min), other goal.. maintain my goal weight of 115 all month (ive been here before but never maintained) and work on toning up!
    kattungen - lose 3.3 lbs by November 1st
    CoryIda - 30-45 minutes of cardio 5x/week
    guamgrly (Bethany) - lose 2 pounds and get back to working out at least 2 times per week
  • KJLDavies
    KJLDavies Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to see that this thread has exploded! I started it back in September. I completely lost track - once again - and kept thinking I was doing just fine and didn't weigh-in forever. Well, I did, and I'm up SIX POUNDS!!! But - I have got to get on track. I'm just afraid if I don't do it now, I will keep going in this vicious cycle!

Thank you to everyone for keeping this going! I am so happy to see that many of you have kept it up and stayed on task and have encouraged each other. I will try to keep up from now on. This upcoming week is an incredibly stressful week for me, quite possibly the most stressful week of my semester, so I may not be on the boards much next week - but if after that, I'm going to be an active member of this thread! I feel it's my duty after starting the original thread! Ha ha ha!

I hope everything is going well with everyone here!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    hey everyone! i agree with the previous posters in being grateful for this thread, you guys are awesome!! i don't know what it is about this week, maybe b/c it's the TOM, or what, but i haven't logged in days, and therefore been much more prone to snacking my face off, and gotten a few days behind on my TurboFire schedule, which has made me so frustrated argh! the scale fortunately hasn't gone up, but also not down either.. i'm taking my stand and putting myself back on the wagon! lol. hope everyone has a great weekend!
  • sbusch21
    Options
    meagalayne: To reach 135lbs, complete my 10k race, and be able to do 5 full regular push-ups - 0.8lbs to go!
    inskydiamonds: use the WiiFit at least 5 times a week for at least half hour sessions. Increase the amount of good fats I'm eating and decrease my sodium intake.
    cshaffer213: Lose a total of 20 lbs - Started @ 8 and am curently @ 18.5 only 1.5 lbs left!! :D
    miss_amy: To lose 4 more lbs & work out 5 days a week!
    LostAlykat: To weigh less than 170, to make it to the AM workout class 2 times a week/ workout 5 days a week.
    *** TheAmateur- To lose 7lbs (almost there ... maybe I should adjust it to 10lbs ?!?!?) ***
    spellbinder25 - Lose 8 lbs by end of October, exercise 5 days a week and eat healthy (= avoid desserts)! - 4 lbs to go & doing pretty well on the desserts :)
    Allie7383: To begin and stick with the TurboFire schedule for Oct (and beyond), and get into the 160's... officially weighed in at 168 this morning!! new goal will be to be under 165.
    emmyworthy: Have lost 13 lbs so far( nearly a stone woohoooo!) still hoping to be under 200lbs by the 31st but if it doesn't happen i'm okay with losing around 18-20lbs=]
    Steph_135 - To reach 183 lbs by Halloween, workout more than I am now (2-3 times a week), and to buy new running shoes.
    MeganKS - to reach a weight below 200lbs for the first time in over a year, work out for at least 30 min a day, incorporate more fruits and veggies into my daily food intake
    Paigeb15- my already planned goal for the month was to run my first 5K (completed on 10/16! at 34 min), other goal.. maintain my goal weight of 115 all month (ive been here before but never maintained) and work on toning up!
    guamgrly (Bethany) - lose 2 pounds and get back to working out at least 2 times per week
    sbusch21- To get down to 180lbs by halloween, keep training for my race in november, and drink more water.
  • miss_amy
    miss_amy Posts: 351
    Options
    WOO HOO! Lost 1.8lbs this week! :)

miss_amy: To lose 4 more lbs & work out 5 days a week!-2.2lbs to go!
    sbusch21- To get down to 180lbs by halloween, keep training for my race in november, and drink more water.
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Great job Amy!!!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Way to go you guys! Such a great job :happy: Good to have you back, Allie!!

Things have been hectic for me over the past 2 days. Great stuff though. Working again tonight - ugh. I'll be happy once the nights over. Went out for a jog with the bf today for the first time - he's getting into running with me! I think he sees how happy it makes me and he wants in on it. He did great today - we jogged 3 kms and only stopped to walk once. Then we walked back 3km to the car. I was so proud of him - lots of high fives! Tomorrow is another big day for me - 9kms, my longest run yet! And it's supposed to rain :grumble: We'll see how that goes.

Hopefully I'll be back to posting normally by Monday. Have a great weekend everyone, and sorry if I missed you! Trying to keep up on my feed, but it's flying!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone:

It's anniversary weekend (7 years already! I feel so old!) so I'm going to be a bit sparse but I had a good week and really wanted to post my update while it was still fresh:

miss_amy: To lose 4 more lbs & work out 5 days a week!-2.2lbs to go!

[update] Meggonkgonk: To reach 162 lbs & to have a 10 mile single week running mileage [/update]
    This morning I completed my 2+ mile run to complete my 10 miles for this week!! And I am down 2 lbs this week to boot! At 163, my revised goal of 162 by Halloween is looking pretty possible!

So overall I've had a pretty great week, in terms of weight loss, running and general life stuff- today was a fun bit of chill and tomorrow there will be some dressing up and Avenue Q on off-Broadway.

And just to chime in on how great this group has been for me too- You guys have no idea what an inspiration you are to me every single day. I have tried to lose weight a lot of different ways, but never in my whole life have I ever felt so confident in my ability to really change myself. You are all so amazing, and this group has really changed my life for the better!

~Meggon