Is butter the devil?

Options

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    My family has hereditary high cholesterol. Before the invention of statins the men all had heart attacks by age 54 and the women strokes around 60. These were all thin, active people, non smokers and well before the advent of junk food. The average man was 5'10 and 125-35 lbs. before I get a lot of crap from people who think all drugs are evil and everything can be cured with juice and exercise I would like to point out that we don't invent medications for 300 lb Twinkie eaters, sure we give them meds, but we invented them for people like my family. Bone thin, non smokers, working the rice fields in Arkansas eating home grown meat and veg and all dropping dead before 55. Dietary changes will typically lower LDL only about 30 points max and that is only the dietary cholesterol portion. You are stuck with the hereditary. I have a vegetarian runner patient with BMI of 18 who has LDL of 144. She actually said to me when I recommended statin therapy "I want to try diet and exercise 1st". I told her you are free to do what you like but you are a vegetarian- you don't eat cholesterol. Your BMI is 18-these numbers are not due to excess adipose tissue. This is not your fault- it is genetic. You do not have to take the pills but it is malpractice not to recommend them and provide a script. I will document that you decline treatment. If you have a stroke and your husband asks why I did not treat your cholesterol I have to document that I tried. I have another couple who didn't believe in treating their super high cholesterol. The husband had a stroke, which he survived, but with horrible deficits. His wife started cholesterol meds the next month. God bless her, she took care of him and his every bodily need for the next 8 yrs, but it was not the life they had hoped for. Oddly I am the only fat person in the family and I have the best cholesterol levels
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    totally devoid of nutritional value and does nothing to help me feel full.

dafuq?

Putting butter on pasta or bread doesn't do anything to sate my hunger, so why waste calories on it?

Oh. that makes sense. But it does have some nutritional value... like protein and fats and stuff.

*shrug* It's easy to get plenty of that without butter. I haven't eaten it in months.

I haven't eaten butter in....19 years.

Kudos to you! I hope to be able to say that 19 years from now. :)
  • TheGymGypsy
    Options

dafuq?

Putting butter on pasta or bread doesn't do anything to sate my hunger, so why waste calories on it?

Fine, it doesn't do anything to satiate you; that doesn't mean it's devoid of nutritional value.

Please don't try to toute butter like it's some sort of health food....

Please don't spread misinformation by saying that butter does not contain any nutrients...

It barely contains any nutrients unless you're eating it in massive quantities, which will do more harm then good for obvious reasons.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    My family has hereditary high cholesterol. Before the invention of statins the men all had heart attacks by age 54 and the women strokes around 60. These were all thin, active people, non smokers and well before the advent of junk food. The average man was 5'10 and 125-35 lbs. before I get a lot of crap from people who think all drugs are evil and everything can be cured with juice and exercise I would like to point out that we don't invent medications for 300 lb Twinkie eaters, sure we give them meds, but we invented them for people like my family. Bone thin, non smokers, working the rice fields in Arkansas eating home grown meat and veg and all dropping dead before 55. Dietary changes will typically lower LDL only about 30 points max and that is only the dietary cholesterol portion. You are stuck with the hereditary. I have a vegetarian runner patient with BMI of 18 who has LDL of 144. She actually said to me when I recommended statin therapy "I want to try diet and exercise 1st". I told her you are free to do what you like but you are a vegetarian- you don't eat cholesterol. Your BMI is 18-these numbers are not due to excess adipose tissue. This is not your fault- it is genetic. You do not have to take the pills but it is malpractice not to recommend them and provide a script. I will document that you decline treatment. If you have a stroke and your husband asks why I did not treat your cholesterol I have to document that I tried. I have another couple who didn't believe in treating their super high cholesterol. The husband had a stroke, which he survived, but with horrible deficits. His wife started cholesterol meds the next month. God bless her, she took care of him and his every bodily need for the next 8 yrs, but it was not the life they had hoped for. Oddly I am the only fat person in the family and I have the best cholesterol levels

Vegetarians eat cholesterol- eggs come to mind. Vegans don't though.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options

dafuq?

Oh. that makes sense. But it does have some nutritional value... like protein and fats and stuff.

*shrug* It's easy to get plenty of that without butter. I haven't eaten it in months.

Do you go out to restaurants because they tend to cook things in butter . . .
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

dafuq?

I haven't eaten butter in....19 years.

Kudos to you! I hope to be able to say that 19 years from now. :)

I just don't like it. It's too salty and greasy and rich for me. I use earth balance tho.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options

dafuq?

Fine, it doesn't do anything to satiate you; that doesn't mean it's devoid of nutritional value.

Please don't spread misinformation by saying that butter does not contain any nutrients...

It barely contains any nutrients unless you're eating it in massive quantities, which will do more harm then good for obvious reasons.

1 tablespoon of butter contains 12 grams of fat (nutrients). I wouldn't agree that butter barely contains any nutrients.
  • TheGymGypsy
    Options

dafuq?

Do you go out to restaurants because they tend to cook things in butter . . .

If i do go out to eat I get a salad with no dressing or specifically check that no animal products are used in preparing it.
  • TheGymGypsy
    Options

dafuq?

1 tablespoon of butter contains 12 grams of fat (nutrients). I wouldn't agree that butter barely contains any nutrients.

And a high fat diet is super healthy as everyone knows. Not responsible for obesity or food addiction or anything.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

dafuq?

there's a huge spectrum between "health food" and "devoid of nutritional value"

devoid of nutritional value means something has no nutrients in it at all. Butter clearly does have nutrients in it, and quite a lot of them. Because you personally don't find any value in eating it doesn't mean it's devoid of nutritional value.
  • TheGymGypsy
    Options

dafuq?

devoid of nutritional value means something has no nutrients in it at all. Butter clearly does have nutrients in it, and quite a lot of them. Because you personally don't find any value in eating it doesn't mean it's devoid of nutritional value.

Ok then to clarify, it is devoid of any nutrients I need in MY diet.
  • Kitship
    Options

dafuq?

Ok then to clarify, it is devoid of any nutrients I need in MY diet.

Oh, sorry, didn't know we were discussing only what you consider valuable nutrients. Thanks for clarifying.
  • Kitship
    Options

dafuq?

And a high fat diet is super healthy as everyone knows. Not responsible for obesity or food addiction or anything.

You're right. High fat diets are not responsible for obesity or food addiction.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    At our annual Texas state fair, we have fried pretzels, fried turkey legs, fried corn and you guessed it.......FRIED BUTTER. lol.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options

My 60% fat diet seems to have helped me lose 58 pounds, improve my labs across the board and helped me get rid of my really strong sweet tooth. :happy:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I really don't have a horse in this race because I actually use margarine (ZOMG plastic and flies and stuff).

But I did have to jump in here and state that the macro-nutriet ratio of ANY diet is not what causes obesity. And that dietary fats are vital for hormone regulation...

...just in case any newbies think that its necessary to eliminate fat from their diets.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    No food is evil. For food to be evil it would have to have intent to do you harm. Since food is not self-aware, and is not aware of you, seems unlikely.
  • tomaspetro
    tomaspetro Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    In determining the relative merits of butter I would use a logical methodology as demonstrated in the following:
    Sir Bedevere: There are ways of telling whether she is a witch.
    Peasant 1: Are there? Oh well, tell us.
    Sir Bedevere: Tell me. What do you do with witches?
    Peasant 1: Burn them.
    Sir Bedevere: And what do you burn, apart from witches?
    Peasant 1: More witches.
    Peasant 2: Wood.
    Sir Bedevere: Good. Now, why do witches burn?
    Peasant 3: ...because they're made of... wood?
    Sir Bedevere: Good. So how do you tell whether she is made of wood?
    Peasant 1: Build a bridge out of her.
    Sir Bedevere: But can you not also build bridges out of stone?
    Peasant 1: Oh yeah.
    Sir Bedevere: Does wood sink in water?
    Peasant 1: No, no, it floats!... It floats! Throw her into the pond!
    Sir Bedevere: No, no. What else floats in water?
    Peasant 1: Bread.
    Peasant 2: Apples.
    Peasant 3: Very small rocks.
    Peasant 1: Cider.
    Peasant 2: Gravy.
    Peasant 3: Cherries.
    Peasant 1: Mud.
    Peasant 2: Churches.
    Peasant 3: Lead! Lead!
    King Arthur: A Duck.
    Sir Bedevere: ...Exactly. So, logically...
    Peasant 1: If she weighed the same as a duck... she's made of wood.
    Sir Bedevere: And therefore...
    Peasant 2: ...A witch!
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I love butter.

In moderation, of course. But YUM!

I cant give up real butter on popcorn.
  • TheGymGypsy
    Options

I really don't have a horse in this race because I actually use margarine (ZOMG plastic and flies and stuff).

But I did have to jump in here and state that the macro-nutriet ratio of ANY diet is not what causes obesity. And that dietary fats are vital for hormone regulation...

...just in case any newbies think that its necessary to eliminate fat from their diets.

I know fat is not evil. But high fat diets discourage the intake of carbs including fruits and veggies. Not to mention that a typical overweight or obese person taken in about 40-60% of their calories from fat, which is excessive. All the macro nutrients should be eaten in moderation.