Is butter the devil?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    And a high fat diet is super healthy as everyone knows. Not responsible for obesity or food addiction or anything.

I really don't have a horse in this race because I actually use margarine (ZOMG plastic and flies and stuff).

But I did have to jump in here and state that the macro-nutriet ratio of ANY diet is not what causes obesity. And that dietary fats are vital for hormone regulation...

...just in case any newbies think that its necessary to eliminate fat from their diets.

I know fat is not evil. But high fat diets discourage the intake of carbs including fruits and veggies. Not to mention that a typical overweight or obese person taken in about 40-60% of their calories from fat, which is excessive. All the macro nutrients should be eaten in moderation.

That makes NO sense at all. If it works for you, great, but don't pretend that your preferences are fact-based science that works for everyone.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    http://jezebel.com/butter-was-back-but-now-maybe-not-1555374545

I avoid butter because I have hereditary high cholesterol, and my doctor said "NO MORE BUTTER!!". Now I only use olive oil for cooking. (I'm sure there's butter in the stuff I eat, but I don't have buttered bread or whatnot anymore.)

What are your opinions?

Fat is healthy as long as it is healthy fat! Grass fed butter is what you should be eating.

Grass fed is ideal, however if you can only get grain fed then it is still a better option than cooking oils like veg oil or sunflower oil and certainly a better option than margarine.

Plus it tastes soooo much better.

I prefer my butter to be made from cream rather than grass, but then, sometimes, I soak my grass in the butter to make "grown-up" brownies. :laugh: :smokin: (Just keep the heat low so you don't burn the grass!)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

I avoid butter because I have hereditary high cholesterol, and my doctor said "NO MORE BUTTER!!". Now I only use olive oil for cooking. (I'm sure there's butter in the stuff I eat, but I don't have buttered bread or whatnot anymore.)

What are your opinions?

Fat is healthy as long as it is healthy fat! Grass fed butter is what you should be eating.

Grass fed is ideal, however if you can only get grain fed then it is still a better option than cooking oils like veg oil or sunflower oil and certainly a better option than margarine.

I prefer my butter to be made from cream rather than grass, but then, sometimes, I soak my grass in the butter to make "grown-up" brownies. :laugh: :smokin: (Just keep the heat low so you don't burn the grass!)

I bet you eat it straight out of the 'pot' as well. lol
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Olive Oil has a low smoke point so not really suitable for high heat cooking like frying.

Coconut Oil has a high smoke point although it can add a coconutty flavour to the food which may not be to your liking.

My alternative is peanut oil. Love it!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

What are your opinions?

I bet you eat it straight out of the 'pot' as well. lol

No way, Dude, it's a whole process. Check YouTube. :devil:
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Butter is so much better for you then that GMO oil fake butter crap. Just don't use a ton on everything and you will be fine.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

What are your opinions?

Kerrygold Unsalted Butter, FTW!! Best store-bought butter in existence.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Well, my butter has horns and a tale, so maybe.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Butter is so much better for you then that GMO oil fake butter crap. Just don't use a ton on everything and you will be fine.
    I do agree, but i should add that many cows are fed GMO corn all day, so any ill effects from the GMO just wind up in your diet anyway.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I heard somewhere that oranges grow outside, on trees! Yuck. I'm not eating that! Butter, now butter comes in those nice little tubs or bricks and it stops the jam or mustard from soaking into the bread. Can olive oil do that?

Man these threads that demonize food make me facepalm. :grumble:
  • Sweetestthing87
    Sweetestthing87 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Mmm, butter. I will use a "pat" of butter every now and again. Like others, I prefer it to all the fake stuff out there.

"Everything is the devil to you, MAMA!"
    -Bobby Boucher
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you want to get good information on the pros and cons of different types of fat, I'd suggest looking for articles written by nutrition professionals, that don't use the F word, and don't think lentils, fruits and vegetables are whole grains.

That said, the recent much touted by the media meta-analysis showing saturated fat as healthy as unsaturated fat was indeed full of error.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I prefer Kerrygold as well.

They make good cheese, too.

Dubliner and Ballyshannon can easily be the bane of my movie night, the delicious grass-fed bane.

I would love to cut the butter out into heart shapes and put them on my honey's sweet potato with sprinkles of cinnamon!

:heart:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Mmm, butter. I will use a "pat" of butter every now and again. Like others, I prefer it to all the fake stuff out there.

"Everything is the debbil to you, MAMA!"
    -Bobby Boucher

FIFY
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I put butter in my coffee. I'm not dead yet.....as far as I know.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

That said, the recent much touted by the media meta-analysis showing saturated fat as healthy as unsaturated fat was indeed full of error.
    Especially true if one believes saturated fat is bad........like you do.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live without butter!

Butter and peanut butter are my go-to fats when I need to hit my macros. They make me so happy.
  • monicapatituccijones
    monicapatituccijones Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If butter is the devil, I will happily suck **** in hell.
  • honsi
    honsi Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Big fan of butter , eat it everyday and I've lost 56 lbs and have no issues with cholesterol etc I just don't eat lots of it. I don't eat margarine which tastes awful and isn't really food in my opinion.
    Olive oil is good but its not supposed to be good if you heat it, I know a few people from Mediterranean/ Middle eastern countries they never cook/fry with olive oil they just drizzle it over food after its cooked or drizzle it on bread etc.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Especially true if one believes saturated fat is bad........like you do.

?? I fail to see how what I believe could be relevant to the study's problems. The study's authors republishing to correct several errors certainly does, though. But shockingly, the mass media didn't give that as much coverage. Some scientists don't think that's enough and are calling for a total retraction.