Is butter the devil?

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    High fat low carb diets are really coming into light at the moment, there have been so many studies proving its effectiveness on weightloss and a healthy overall goal.

Can you provide links to these studies that prove the health effects of a HFLC diet? Studies I've seen all point to Mediterranean and vegetarian being the most healthy diets, neither of which are low carb.
    Which diets where you comparing the med and vegetarian diets to? And which of the 21 Countries that surround the Med where you referring to....why don't we start there.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I prefer my butter to be made from cream rather than grass, but then, sometimes, I soak my grass in the butter to make "grown-up" brownies. :laugh: :smokin: (Just keep the heat low so you don't burn the grass!)

You need a brownie mix/recipe that calls for oil. You sautee, lightly, the grass in the oil to help extract all the ummmm... vitamins.
    Don't forget to steep the pot of pot overnight to get all those essential nutrients.:bigsmile:

You've got to get it right though, nothing worse than making a hash of it!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I prefer my butter to be made from cream rather than grass, but then, sometimes, I soak my grass in the butter to make "grown-up" brownies. :laugh: :smokin: (Just keep the heat low so you don't burn the grass!)

You need a brownie mix/recipe that calls for oil. You sautee, lightly, the grass in the oil to help extract all the ummmm... vitamins.
    Don't forget to steep the pot of pot overnight to get all those essential nutrients.:bigsmile:

Reheat and strain my friend.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    High fat low carb diets are really coming into light at the moment, there have been so many studies proving its effectiveness on weightloss and a healthy overall goal.

Can you provide links to these studies that prove the health effects of a HFLC diet? Studies I've seen all point to Mediterranean and vegetarian being the most healthy diets, neither of which are low carb.

Here's one study showing the positive results of LCHF on HDL's and Triglyceride levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14601690
    (courtesy of Neanderthin).
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Your Dr is an idiot and should know that high cholesterol, especially the hereditary version. Eating things with cholesterol or saturated fat doesn't increase your cholesterol levels, in MOST cases it will actually decrease cholesterol levels.

My advice is to seek a second opinion.

Here is some reading about fat and cholesterol from well respected Dr's.

http://coconutoil.com/mary_enig/

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm

^^^^^^^^
    Yep!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Here's one study showing the positive results of LCHF on HDL's and Triglyceride levels.

But these were obese people who lost weight. That alone is known to improve lipids. That is hardly proof that HFLC diet has a positive health effect.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

But these were obese people who lost weight. That alone is known to improve lipids. That is hardly proof that HFLC diet has a positive health effect.

Well I've shown you mine, your turn to show me yours.

A study showing that a LC/HF diet doesn't improve health would be nice. :smile:

Plus I certainly wouldn't dispute the health benefits of Mediterranean style diets. Lots of veg, olive oil, fish - sounds very healthy.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Meh! Lazy pot-heads and their mixes. I make mine with butter, from scratch! (just like grandma taught me :laugh:)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Reheat and strain my friend.

I'm not real fond of hash, honestly. I like my edibles though.
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

I bet you eat it straight out of the 'pot' as well. lol

No way, Dude, it's a whole process. Check YouTube. :devil:

Will this recipe be posted soon??
  • cchew686
    cchew686 Posts: 108
    Options
    Yes

Butter is the devil, and after you die, it'll be poking you with a pitch fork as you burn in the depths of hell.

Wouldn't the butter devil melt in the fiery depths of hell? How would it hold it's pitchfork?
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Considering that I eat less than a tablespoon per day of butter, if that, it can't possibly be the devil. :wink:

Cake. Now, cake seems to be the devil...I can't quit eating it!!! (Hey, wait. Butter is in many cakes. Butter! You sly little devil!) :devil:

Then again, I replace butter/oil with nonfat Greek yogurt and/or applesauce in my cakes to lower the calorie content. I STILL eat cake like crazy! :tongue:

Common denominator? Sugar. So SUGAR is the devil. :bigsmile:

...Or could it be the wheat? :ohwell:

I want cake, now. :tongue:

What were we talking about, again?
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You and me and the devil makes three....

opp6s3.jpg
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options

Here are some showing negative effects of a high fat low carb diet.

Low-carbohydrate diet scores and risk of type 2 diabetes in men. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21310828
    Conclusion: A score representing a low-carbohydrate diet high in animal protein and fat was positively associated with the risk of T2D in men.

Negative effect of a low-carbohydrate, high-protein, high-fat diet on small peripheral artery reactivity in patients with increased cardiovascular risk. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22850317
    Conclusion: These findings suggest that a dietary pattern characterised by a low amount of carbohydrate, but high amounts of protein and fat, is associated with a poorer small artery vascular reactivity in patients with increased CV risk.

High saturated fat and low carbohydrate diet decreases lifespan independent of body weight in mice. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24472284
    Conclusion: A high-saturated fat and low carbohydrate diet decreased the survival of mice independent of bodyweight.

I would really like to see the "so many studies proving its effectiveness on weightloss and a healthy overall goal".
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    You and me and the devil makes three....

opp6s3.jpg

haha! I love that song!
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Considering that I eat less than a tablespoon per day of butter, if that, it can't possibly be the devil. :wink:

Cake. Now, cake seems to be the devil...I can't quit eating it!!! (Hey, wait. Butter is in many cakes. Butter! You sly little devil!) :devil:

Then again, I replace butter/oil with nonfat Greek yogurt and/or applesauce in my cakes to lower the calorie content. I STILL eat cake like crazy! :tongue:

What about cake with butter cream frosting......butter + sugar, whipped until light and fluffy, piped onto soft sweet cake......mmmmmmm :love:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

What about cake with butter cream frosting......butter + sugar, whipped until light and fluffy, piped onto soft sweet cake......mmmmmmm :love:

Sweet Jesus, yes! It really IS about the frosting, isn't it?

Butter. D@mn you! Lol!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I bet you eat it straight out of the 'pot' as well. lol

No way, Dude, it's a whole process. Check YouTube. :devil:

Will this recipe be posted soon??

I think that would violate the ToS. But, there are several on YouTube, even channels devoted to it.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Butter. D@mn you! Lol!

Without butter, it's not a proper frosting.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Butter. D@mn you! Lol!

Sorry I've double checked and butter is definitely evil.

Cannibal_cc50e2_1565602.jpg