WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER

Options

Replies

• marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    Hello everyone! Got the chores caught up, now the week should go quietly. Great weather for the weekend no complaints from me. Just got to pack a lunch for tomorrow and get another ready for wednesday, they are 11 hour work days. Weather forcast is getting colder for next week even a flake here and there added to the showers. Looks like we could have snow for the hollowe'en night.

Time to get things moving again, catch you all Thursday or Saturday, have a good short week everyone.

Marilyn
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Kackie - Thank you so much for your warm welcome back, I really needed that.:smile:

Barb - You remember me!!!! YEAH!!! I miss talking about our funny little 4 legged children.

Spot (my 25 lb cat) is still a "momma's boy", lol. Lately when I have been doing my yoga, he deliberately walks up to me and meows as loud as he can and starts to lead me to the back door to get let out. If I don't move quick enough to open the door for him he sits there and glares at me until I feel so guilty I have to stop my yoga. Also, just to reassure everyone, my back yard is fenced in and Spot can't jump the fence. He is very safe in his own world. His latest "thing" is to lie down in one of my clay flower pots. He's so big he billows over the top of the pot like dough rising. :laugh:

Today I did an upper body workout and after dinner I (dragged) hubby along for a walk around the neighborhood. I watched what I ate today and I am happy to say I am under my calorie goal for the day. :happy:

So I'll top off my evening with a hot cup of herbal tea before heading off to bed.

I hope everyone had a great day today.

Debbie
  • groovylaura
    Options
    Hi everyone! This group looks great!!! Can I join you??? I'm a "fat50" turning into a "fit50"!!! However, I need all the help I can get:sad:!!! This site is so amazing, and I'm loving it:bigsmile:!!! Take care, Laura :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    Welcome to all the new members, just jump right in and read and post and log your food and keep moving and remarkable things will come to pass in your life :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Welcome back, Debbie and Mimi...I have missed you

:heart: yesterday was my darling hubby's birthday.....he bought a new golf club over a month ago as his birthday gift, so I bought him a funny card, did his biggest housekeeping chore for him and took him out to lunch for chicken curry and later gave him the leftovers I brought home from my meal :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: I have been doing well with goal of working in the yard every day so my yard looks better, I've burned more calories, but I've spent less time on the computer

:flowerforyou: Today I baked the big squash I got from a friend's garden and instead of freezing it, I had some for a snack, tomorrow we'll have some as the veggie with chicken sausage and have the rest in the fridge for small snacks.....another new vegetable plan :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: I am being extra vigilant with eating and exercise to get rid of the weight that crept on while I was traveling......I won't record a new weight again until Friday but some of it seems to be going :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Barb, thanks for the reminder that we haven't been sharing enough funny pet stories......I hope that trend will return.......earlier today, Haifa, the cat tried to help me proofread a 50 page document on the computer.....he tried to correct the spelling a few words that were correct to begin with :laugh:
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • rebmcg
    rebmcg Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi everyone and welcome "fit50". I'm new too and just as I'm getting started with this group, I am going on vacation for two weeks. I have goals set for this vacation and even if I can't keep up with the message board, I look forward to reporting that my goals were met. becky
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I just updated my ticker. How I lost 8 pounds, more or less, while on vacation I have NO clue.:huh: Actually, it may be more like 13 pounds but I am being conservative with the ticker. I normally use the local gym scale but the gym has closed. My scale is not very accurate and usually reads 4 or 5 pounds lighter than the gym. So today I was shopping at a supermarket that has a big scale in the store. I got up the nerve to get on and it said I had lost 15 pounds. I'm not believing it. So I am taking an average of that and the adjusted for reality weight on my home scale. IOW - I need to find a decent scale! One thing I know for sure is that I have lost 1.5" off my waist and the same off my butt since I last measured in August. :bigsmile:

So now I'm confused.:noway:

Since I started MFP I have been eating well - not junk - and staying right at the proper calories per day and eating about 1/2 my exercise calories on average, sometimes less. I had been losing but losing slowly. That was ok with me; I know slower is better for your skin and you are more likely to keep the weight off.

I was gone for 2 months and couldn't keep my food log as we were traveling and then in a remote area in AK without internet access most of the time. I could have kept a paper log but decided not to. It would have been hard to do camping and trying not to dirty a ton of dishes measuring food and eating differently than DH. So I decided to eat the best foods I could and watch my portions. I decided that as long as the clothes I took with were still fitting well I wouldn't be doing too much harm. Well, as time went on my pants and shirts got looser not tighter. I fell down on the eating the best I could thing way too often. I was eating white flour noodles some days, potatoes too - which I hardly ever eat at home. I shared a HUGE cinnamon bun with DH, ate pretzels and some chips and even some peanut butter cups (brutally honest here but hate to admit it). I just checked and I went through all but about a cup of a 2 pound container of salted peanuts. I could go on but you get the idea. So how the heck did I end up losing weight and inches?

I did get some exercise but I'm sure I got more when I was home. We hiked a lot and one day we spent all day climbing up to an old abandon mine but there were many days I got no exercise at all. Travel days especially were sedentary. You can't burn many calories sitting in a vehicle.

At any rate, I am back to the straight and narrow with my eating and will find a new gym and get back at the exercise as well. It just seems very odd to me that I lost weight and inches considering what I ate. I was going to be thrilled when I got back if I had not gained. I'm wondering if I might get a delayed weight gain. Time will tell I guess.

Anyway - DH got his brown bear. It measured 8'4" which for the area is on the high end of average. He was happy as a little kid!

A friend from IL came out and joined me for the 10 days that DH was hunting. We took the train from Anchorage to Fairbanks and got some great pics of Denali along the way. We also went halibut fishing and both got our limit of 2 each. It was the first time my friend had been fishing ever!

Then we took a day cruise and saw a calving glacier. That was the most amazing thing we did that 10 days. There had been a 4.5 earthquake that morning which shook up the glacier a bit needless to say. The boat took extra time getting there in order to give the loose ice a chance to drift off; otherwise we couldn't have gotten very close to it. We watched several pieces calf off. The sound of the ice shifting and straining was exactly like a rifle shot. That was just amazing. Oh and BTW - we were eating a tailgate breakfast before the cruise when the earthquake happened and we didn't feel a thing, darn it! There were some sirens that went off but we didn't know why until later.

We got some neat animal pics on that ride too - dall porpoise, humped back whales, seals, bear, goats and a lot of birds.

We stayed on the Kenai Peninsula except for the trip to Fairbanks and one to Valdez. We thoroughly explored the place - well within our physical limits to do so. We aren't 25 anymore... but not dead yet either! :bigsmile: The mountains were amazing. One day I took 900+ pictures. Now I have to go through them all and pick out the ones to keep.

I'm still catching up on sleep so it's bedtime for me. And if anyone has a clue about the weight loss I would sure like to hear it. Whatever happened, I hope it happens again! I knew I should have kept a food and exercise log.... :ohwell:

Faye
  • chicletgirl
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Seems like everyone is doing well losing weight. I forgot who said they ate all the yummy things and still lost weight, but hey, what a way to lose weight! I dont know about everyone else, but I would have loved to eat the things you ate (especially the peanut butter cups and cinnamon roll) and still lose weight. Maybe it was because you didn't eat your normal calorie limit or somehow allowed for it while eating even though you werent aware of it. Either way it was a loss so good for you.:drinker:

:flowerforyou: Well last week was not a very good week for my mom. My brother and his family had gone in and harrassed her about telling them that she will need to use her money when she leaves. It got her so depressed it affected her performance and attitude. I was so upset at him. I try so hard to keep my mom in good spirits and always praise her for new accompishments. consequently though, she did not do very well in her workouts and actually regressed a little. This of course was noticed by the insurance company who after reviewing her progress said they would give her 1 more week to stay, but if she did not improve drastically on her next review they were going to stop allowing her to stay there. So I had to play hardball with my mom and tell it like it is and she was a little peeved that the insurance company felt that way. But I told her, they were right. That after My brother showed up she let him get to her and it caused a bad performance from her. At first she denied it but eventually realized I was right. I also found out that she had refused to take her pain med (Ibuprophen) and a pain patch for her sciatic nerve, so she was in constant pain also affecting her performance. When I talked to the nurse, she said my mom was refusing them. So once again I got on her on how important it is she takes it while her muscles are being retrained and makes her sore and the pain meds will help her get through with it until she is at the point where it doesn't hurt as much. So she began them again and miraculously, today she was able to walk on her walker and get into a standing positon on her own with the walker. (She has been using the parallel bars to walk in the past. She walked a total of 20 steps with her walker. She was shocked, because she thought with her soreness she wouldnt do well.(She realized then the pain meds helped, plus over the weekend I had the Physical therapy dept put those large rubber band handle thingys tied to her bed so she could work out on the weekends and not let her muscles kink up) It all seemed to work out well. I just wish she would listen to me more.

Tomorrow is her birthday and I know my brother and family will not go see her. I'm in Cali so she will only get a call from me and I don't have the money to send her anything. But I called the social worker at the facility and asked them to please inform everyone who works with my mom that it was her birthday tomorow and if they could just telll her Happy Birthday. She told me that they would get a small committee to put up some things for mom to celebrate and make something special for her to eat on her birthday. I wasn't expecting that, and thought that was very kind of them. Then the physical therapy guys found out and are goiing to pitch in and buy her something. I told them it wasn't necesary, just saying Happy Birthday would be enough, but they are so proud of my mom's accomplishments that they want to do this for her.(My mom says they are big old brutes and are always teasing and egging her on. But they are soooo good looking!:love: Friggin horny mom!:noway: ) I hope she has a really nice day without having to think about my brother shunning her. Wish I could be there for her, but this was the best I could do. When she finally comes here I will bake her a cake and her and Boo can enjoy it. (Believe it or not, she is excited to come to Cali so that she can see Boo. She says she misses her. I said "What about me?" and she said, "Oh yeah, you too". :laugh: Either way incentive is incentive and if it is Boo I'm just glad it's something!

:heart: And to cap this off I have met a young man, who I like very much. ( And I mean young man, at least for me.) He is 44 and I am 52. I don't have the nerve to tell him because I am afraid he will run when he finds out. Since losing weight I have noticed that I am more energetic and keep up fine with him. He thinks I am in my 40's as do most of my friends. When I told a close friend of mine my age today, she said I thought you were close to my age (41) and I said, 'Yeah right." She said "Seriously, for a white chick you held up well. Usually white women age more because of exposure to sunlight and get wrinkles faster than hispanic women." I laughed and called her a racist. She said "No its true, and its even worse when they are smokers!" So I am assuming the only reason I may look younger (at least in her eyes) is because I hate the summers and don't go out in the sun. I am as white as the backgroung of this post! So maybe that's a plus for me. Either way he thinks I am gorgeous :noway: and it is getting harder and harder to keep the guy from wanting more and more. He is very nice and I enjoy talking with him and he is very respectful. He also makes me laugh a lot, something very important to me. One thing I have decided to do now is instead of denying or calling him crazy when he compliments me, I have started to believe him. That's a big thing for me to adjust to. It's always easier to believe the bad stuff, you know? I feel like I am traveling in foreign land here,but he really likes me.

But I am going to tell you a little secret that really made me feel much more attractive and begin to realize that maybe its true. This weekend my ex showed up to paint my pumpkin for Boo and saw a bottle of unfinished wine. He knows that I don't normally drink wine, especially Merlot and asked me if a man brought it over. I told him that one did a while back, but he was so gropey that I had to tell him to leave. My ex became infuriated and told me that I needed to be careful with men and that I was very pretty and should watch out for these guys. I waved my hand at him to dismiss his comment and he grabbed it and pulled me to him and kissed me, holding me tightly and it was a long kiss. I was shocked!:noway: I asked him why he did that. He said "Because you have no idea how attractive you are and you are like me having a leg amputated and I still feel the itch. Now the thing that really amazes me, is that he is still with the woman he left me for. I had no idea he still found me attractive. I mean he has a 38 year old woman, that he is sneaking around kissing me with!
    That's when I realized maybe these men who are telling me I am pretty just might be telling the truth. I mean honestly, what better compliment could a woman get that her ex finds her attractive and sneaks behind the back of the woman who broke up our marriage? He also told me he has asked her to please move out as he does not feel he is the right man for her. :noway: I guess what goes around comes around and actually does bite you in the *kitten*. So I don't actually feel sorry for her. Have any one of you seen that movie "It's complicated"? That's how I felt (like Meryl Streep) Not a bad feelig too have if I do say so myself.:laugh:

And no, I have no intention of going back with my ex. There is nothing there for me. So he better work out his issues, because he is out of luck with me.:brokenheart:

Chiclet
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

I think I missed out on posting yesterday.

So, the baby shower on Sunday was wonderful, although my DD was totally exhausted by the end of it. The food (which there was far too much of) went down really well and, although the wine did get drunk, it wasn't really needed. I was amazed at the generosity of Tasha's friends! She had so many gorgeous gifts given to her - for herself as well as the babies. One of the most thoughtful gifts (in my opinion anyway) was from two of her friends who have paid for her to have a cleaner to come in twice a week for six months and also four hours worth of ironing done each week.

The only little niggle I had (and this is probably very petty of me) was their step-mother. She married my ex-husband last year (good luck to them both is all I can say!) She sat there and drank two bottles of wine - which didn't impress me much and then proceeded to tell everyone that once the babies are born she is going to have photographs of her and her husband taken with the twins and have cards made up saying 'Grandma and Grandad are proud to introduce .... and ....' Now I know that it shouldn't have upset me, but it did. She has had nothing to do with bringing up my gorgeous girls (nor has their father - he didn't even contribute financially and as I was a battered wife and he also beat my children when they were babies, I have a lot of issues there) I know that I have to grow up and accept the fact that they are part of my grandbabies lives, but it really hurt me. When I think how much my DH has done for all my children - he really has been much more of a daddy to them than either of my ex husbands and yet he is worried that he doesn't have the right to be called by a grandfatherly name. Actually, he said to me on Sunday morning that he had never been jealous of the fact that he hasn't got any children of his own but he is really envious of grandchildren. It almost broke my heart because I know that he will be much more of a grandparent than their biological dad.

Many, many years ago, when DH and I had been together for about six months, I had an early miscarriage. The baby would have been born around about this time of year, so it always makes us a little sad.

Anyway, yesterday I went for my swimming lesson and actually managed to swim about five metres underwater. I would have managed more, but haven't quite worked out how to bob up for air yet! Quite important thing to learn I think! I'm still unable to tread water, although I can float really well now. My knee is suffering quite a bit today, so I may have to tone down the exercise for a day or two. I intend to have another swim on Thursday.

I also saw my GP yesterday afternoon. One thing I've noticed recently is that I'm losing a lot of hair. I've got really thin at the front of my hairline so she's taking more blood tests to see if there are any underlying reasons. It may just be my dramatic weight drop in a relatively short time period. I have invested in a couple of cute angora baker boy caps, which my daughter's tell me look very chic. More importantly, they cover my 'balding bit'.

I have so much to get done today, so I'd better get started!

Have a great day everyone. Do something for me please.... try to drink one extra glass of water!

Amanda x
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Welcome back to those MIA for a while. It is good to hear from you all again and know you are OK.

Welcome all new comers. This is a great group of ladies and we all support each other in our journey.

I thought I had time to post individual responses, but just looked at the clock and realized I don't. Reading each post took longer than expected this morning and I have a 9AM meeting I can't be late for. So a general well wish to all of you!

Have a great day,

Jeannie
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Well I did my lower body workout this morning and then had to take care of some banking for my daughter who is out of the country. I opened the door to leave the house and was instantly reminded that I am without a car today. AHHH! I was just about to turn around and go back into the house when I said to myself. "Debbie, stop being so silly. You put your walking shoes on for a reason. So.....WALK, and off I went. You know what? I loved it! Most everyone is at work today (I'm off recovering from surgery) so it was wonderfully peaceful. The sun is shining bright in a clear blue sky and the slightly cool breeze is rustling the fiery colors of the autumn leaves in the trees. I know that the sun shining on me got the ole vitamin D going. My spirits are lifted, lol.

Now to get to the housework.

Debbie
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    It's Tuesday and a wonderful day in New England!:happy: I had a super weekend! My food wasn't perfect, but I'm doing 100% better than I did 14 mos. ago before I joined MFP!:laugh: :bigsmile:
    This journey has taught me many things and I will share how it helped this weekend!:smile:
    I had a pancake breakfast to go to on Sunday :tongue: and the menu included pancakes, sausage, muffins, donuts etc.:noway: There wasn't much to choose from as it was a Cub Scout fundraiser.:ohwell: So, I had 3 pancakes (no butter) with a drizzle of maple syrup, 1 sausage link and 1/2 glass of orange juice.:bigsmile: I DID NOT have any pastry........ So even though I may have been over on the pancakes...I felt GREAT about my choices!:flowerforyou: Before (MFP) I would have panicked!!!:noway: Yikes!!! :noway: Nothing on the menu that's on my DIET!!!:noway: So I would either pig out on donuts, muffins and smothered pancakes with butter and soaked in maple syrup:grumble: .....or opted out of the breakfast all together!:frown: :noway: NOT NOW.:bigsmile: I make the best of a situation and I feel good about it! :bigsmile: :blushing:
    We brought my MIL some pancakes at the Nursing Home and she loved them!:happy:
    Then we took a lovely New England ride through the countryside! When we got home hubby put Rib Eye steaks on the grill and we had an "end of the season" cookout (just he and I):blushing:
    I did not exercise that day because of time constraints, :ohwell: so my calories were over by quite a bit. :ohwell: But what I feel great about is the choices I'm making now.:happy: I had steak but skipped the potato and had salad instead. For a snack later (instead of 6 Chunka Munka cookies with a glass of milk) I had some green grapes.:flowerforyou:
    What I actually ate was over what I should have eaten but SO MUCH BETTER THAN I WOULD HAVE DONE BEFORE! And this is the joy I have with this new life!:bigsmile: I am not in prison with the food.....or overly obsessive about eating things I normally wouldn't..... on occasion!
    Monday I got up and exercised for 70 minutes, got my mom and went visiting for the day! You ladies have helped me to be sooooo grateful for my mom and the special relationship we have....and I think of you dear women who are missing your's.:cry: Although I always have had a great relationship with her, I have be especially grateful after hearing some of your heartbreaking stories! :brokenheart: My mom said, "This day is a keeper"....and indeed it was!:smile::love:
    We went to my daughter's to see her new house, had a nice lunch and then I got to see a brother of mine who lives in Michigan that was visiting. :love: We have a close family and he's the only one that moved away:frown: So it was so special to see him.
    I came home and had a glass of wine on the deck with my husband!:blushing:
    I find that it's the simple things in life that give me great joy and this weekend was filled with many of those special...simple things!:wink:
    I am blessed!:smile:

Welcome back Mimi and Deborah....YAY!!! we missed you!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: And a big welcome to all the newcomers!!!!:flowerforyou:
    This website will help you to find a new way of living! :happy: It is not a diet:noway: but a way of life!:bigsmile: When approached that way....you will find that you may get knocked down :angry: (because that’s just part of life) but you never get knocked out!!! :flowerforyou: We just keep picking ourselves up....and walking this journey together on good days and bad!:heart::drinker: :heart: :drinker:

God Bless!!!!!!:heart: And make this day a good day!:flowerforyou:

BirdieM:heart:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    To all of the dog lovers here:

The perfect coffee/tea cup -

https://shop.theanimalrescuesite.com/store/item.do?siteId=310&itemId=38513&adId=44464&placementId=155558&origin=

too cute not to pass along!

Jeannie
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say HI:flowerforyou:

Glad to see that Mimi has checked in

Amanda glad the shower was a hit

Still working on the maintaining...too busy to think and stress only hits the surface.

Will come back later when I think things settle down..

Laura:smile:
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I’m getting ready to head down to my folks’ for the week (and a wedding) but wanted to say hello before I left. (I can get on the computer at their house but it often seems to be a difficult thing to do – I like to hang out with them, my sisters, etc. instead of disappearing into my room.)

So far, so good with food this week. I’m still hovering at 200.2. Yikes. I really, really want to get under 200! For lots of you, that’s a whole lot. For me, it’s a weight I haven’t seen in more than 30 years. At 5’8” even 200 is not too bad. But the Ones. Oh the Ones. I can’t wait. (It did take me a while to get “ready” to break through to the Ones though.)

I’m loving the end-of-the-season fruit. I got a couple of boxes of strawberries (strawberries in October!) at a local fruit stand. Sweet and yummy. There are some benefits to living out in the sticks. Local fruit stands is one.

It’s so good to start catching up on what’s going on for all of you. :love:

Barb, you sound like you’re in a good place. Your posts always give me a chuckle. If you get a chance, I’d like to know how you looked up Debbie's posts.

Chiclet, Good to hear that you’re doing well too, and so is your mom. Those compliments feel good. It helps when we can see ourselves as attractive. Why is it that we can weigh the same, do our hair the same way, dress the same way, etc., etc., and one day we feel great about ourselves and the next feel like something the cat's dragged in?

Amanda, hurray on the swimming. You’re doing such a good job. I can tell you’re going to love being a grandma. It’s the best. I wouldn’t worry too much about your daughters’ step-mom. Your girls know. That’s what counts.

Faye, you did an amazing job losing weight while you were on vacation! :flowerforyou: Whatever you have, I want some! :laugh: Being away from home is the hardest time for me and, from the sounds of it, most people.

Birdie, you are in such a good space. You’re a wonderful role model. Thanks for hanging in there with the group even after you’ve reached you goal. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Wish I had time to say hello to everyone but I’ve got to scoot if I’m going to beat the traffic. You are a great bunch of women. Thanks. Just thanks. :flowerforyou: I'm glad to be back.
  • piquilter
    piquilter Posts: 119
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jeanne & just discovered MFP this morning. I rejoined WW about 3 weeks ago, I'm a lifetime member who 'found' the last batch of pounds I lost. I like the program, but really feel a need to track nutrition, particularly sodium & iron so I though I'd try both sites side by side for awhile. I come from a family with a history of high blood pressure and am very proud of my low blood pressure. I also donate platelets on a regular basis so I am very conscious of keeping my iron levels up. I put in my profile that I'm sure I've lost over 2000 pounds over my lifetime, the same 20-40, over and over again. I'm determined to break the string of that yo yo :bigsmile: I also suffer chronic pain because of back issues so it's important for me to stay active. I love to quilt & find it's a good way to keep me out of the refrigerator, as long as I'm not having a glass of wine while quilting :smile: Yes, I have been known to have a glass of wine while operating my quilting "power tool" :laugh: G
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    Hello everyone, just marking my spot, had a good day and I'm hoping a better one tomorrow. Have a good Wednesday.:smile:
  • HerbieSue
    HerbieSue Posts: 288
    Options
    Hi Jeanne! I too am a WW lifetimer who regained weight. With this site I was able to get back down to my WW lifetime goal and I'm now working on my new "personal goal", 5 more pounds! I don't understand why WW only counts calories, fat & fiber. Since calculating my carbs and sugar as well on this site, I was able to lose the weight. ( I also do Jillian Michaels 30 day shred a couple of times a week) I started looking at the sugar content in foods and was amazed, especially at yogurt & milk & fruit!! I cut those out and my stomach has really gone down! Glad you joined MFP, I hope it works for you!!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Welcome Laura. You'll get lots of support here, that's for sure!

chicklet - if you look anything at all on the outside the way you are on the inside, I know that you are absolutely gorgeous!

Amanda - you know, children have this "sixth sense". Trust me. When they are able to talk and start to differentiate things, my bet is that they'll feel closer to your hubby than their own father. Give it time, give it time.

Did a Jari Love DVD today. I really like her DVD's. They have me sweating! Tomorrow we have a meeting for the Newcomers, so I'll do one of my downloadable spinning workouts, then maybe practice bowl a few games and go to one of the foodstores near here. Tomorrow night I also have a yoga class that I go to.

Ladies, I have no idea why this is happening, but lately I've been retaining water. I was so good over the summer, when my ankles usually swell, especially from the heat. I was so careful about the sodium. Right now I'm also trying to be watchful of the sodium, but my ankles are still swelling, and I have no idea why.

On another note: at tomorrow's Newcomers general meeting they're going to announce the slate of officers for the new year. Vince is going for treasurer. Honestly, I'm quite sure he's going to get it. It should be interesting to see who is going for vice president. I know that I would make a really bad president/vice president. That position needs someone who is logical, and I'm an emotional person.

Good for you, Deb. Walking! I'm really proud.

Going to have friends over Fri. night for dinner. I'm thinking I'll make manicotti (tofu manicotti), have garlic bread, I'll make another angel food cake (maybe that's what's causing me to retain water - angel food cake is high in sodium). I'll probably also make brownies for Vince. Any suggestions as to what else I should have?

Went to the citizens academy tonight. We met with the registrar of deeds and the court clerk. I honestly thought it would be more boring. The registrar of deeds wasn't all that interesting, but I was surprised at how much the court clerk does! Next week we see their communications center.

Strung a lot of the popcorn, but still have more to do. See, every year I string popcorn for our Christmas tree. I really started it when I had my first place. I couldn't afford to buy garland, so I got a bag of popcorn and strung that. I really liked the way it looked and I've been doing it every year since, that's probably about 36 years now.

Welcome Jeannie!

You know, I, too, can't understand why WW only counts calories, fiber and fat. It's amazing how much sodium is in foods. But on the other side of the coin, of all the "diets" out there, WW to me is the best. At least they do emphasize fruits and veges. sugar is another big one. You can get a low or fat free food, but the sodium or sugar is out of this world!

Well, everyone, have a great evening.

Michele
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Barb, you sound like you’re in a good place. Your posts always give me a chuckle. If you get a chance, I’d like to know how you looked up Debbie's posts.

Mimi,

and anyone else who wants to know.....To read someone's prior posts, all you do is left click on the little number that appears below their avatar in any post. When you do this, you will get a listing in the same format you get when you are reading a thread, except that each post will have the title of that post above it. The most recent post appears first, and you will get multiple pages so you can go back quite a ways. By doing this, in Debbie's case, it was easy to see that she hadn't posted on the 50+ thread since June, until she popped in a couple of days ago.

Michelle,

If you know you haven't been consuming excess sodium, there can be other reasons for water retention. Water retention can be an early sign of congestive heart failure. It can also affect those with COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease--IE emphysema; chronic bronchitis). There can be other causes for edema, IE certain drugs, such as lithium, can affect the body by fostering water retention. I am not trying to alarm you, but a call to your doctor's office might not be a bad idea. Have you had any recent changes in the type or dosage of any medications you might be taking? If so, your pharmacist might be able to shed some light.

Good luck.

Amanda,
    I am sorry you have to deal with the unpleasant situation you described in regard to your ex's current spouse. I agree, the kids will figure out soon enough who the REAL grandma and grandpa are!!!

Jeannie,
    I got a kick out of the coffee mug link. And all this time I thought "Everything's better with Bluebonnet on it!!":noway: :noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Chiclet,
    I am glad you were able to make something nice happen for your mom's birthday. And, I agree with whomever said you are beautiful inside and out!! Hang in there.

I am ready to crash for the night, but plan to watch Nightline, as they are doing a story on the rescued Chilean miners. What a relief for them and their families that after 69 days they are finally back on the surface of the earth.

BFN

Barb
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi everyone

:frown: Had a few worrying days, I think I mentioned that Wiz our cat went to the Vets and was given thyroid tablets and antibiotics. Well he deteriorated over the next few days and wasn't eating anything. We took him back to the vets on Saturday and the vet noticed that one of his fangs was loose so he took it out, we explained we thought it was either the thyroid tablets or the anitbiotic that wastn't agreeing with him, so he said not to give them to wiz for a few days until he started eating again, gave him another antibiotic and an injection to stop him being sick. We didn't notice much improvement on Saturday or Sunday, he was a little better on Monday, but yesterday he managed to eat small bits of chicken every few hours. Hopefully this will start him eating properly again. :smile: Trouble is I'll have to ring the vet today to find out if we should now continue with they thyroid tablets - I'm worried they'll make him ill again,

:smile: Yesterday was DDs birthday and we both had a day off work and decided to take the dogs to the sea side. It takes about 1 1/2 hrs to get there, probably nothing to you who live in the middle of nowhere :laugh: but that's the furthest journey DD has undertaken since learning to drive :laugh: Anyway she did it, and we had a lovely day, the dogs had never seen the sea before and couldn't understand why they couldn't drink it. The sun came out for a few minutes too, and it wasn't too busy and no dogs came running over so Frankie kept calm. He didn't like cars overtaking us on the journey there and back though.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Welcome back Mimi and Hello to all newcomers.

:sick: oh dear poor DH has just got up and he's not too well, (man flu!) so I'd better go and make him a cuppa, I'll have to get going as I'm back at work today after my long weekend so better tend to sick hubby and get ready or I'll be late.

Catch up with you all later Love and hugs to everyone.

Viv:heart: