Like Minded Lushes - October 2010

Options

Replies

• yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    OH MY GAWD!!! I am so happy to see this topic!!! I LOVE BEER!!!! Beer from all over the world... Ales, pilsners, lagers, dark, bitter, blonde, you name it!!!! I am relieved to see others with the same issue with alcohol and diet, (though everyone seems to be on the wine or hard stuff... I'd love to hear from other beer lovers!!) I had a 4-6 beer a day habit!!! that is upwards of 1000 calories a day... You'd think I'd have dropped 10lbs just from not drinking the beer alone.. but no... no such luck. I have done some research and have discovered that it is not just the caloric content of the alcohol that causes weight gain, but that alcohol inhibits weight loss... in the way it effects your metabolism. (sorry, I forget where I read it so I have no reference to site) I plan on checking in here more often for some more fun stories and encouragement to stay away from my beloved beer!!! I am on a mission to regain my strong healthy body which means I want to drop 25-30 lbs. Thanks to everyone here for being so open with thier struggles. :flowerforyou:

I do love beer and love trying different ones, I also like cider. The reason I tend to drink wine is that I stop after 2 or 3 glasses, whereas as you say, it's easy to drink 1000 calories of beer in a night.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Monday=0 drinks
    Tuesday=0 drinks
    Wednesday=0 drinks

We'll see how tonight goes with the drinking. I saw a joke-what are you going to be for Halloween? Intoxicated. :laugh:
    DH brought home a bag of halloween candy, he said he picked that bag because it had my favorite-Take 5, those ones with the pretzels and carmel, PB and chocolate-what's he trying to do?! I don't even hold out much hope that the trick or treaters will eat them all because we live in this orthodox jewish neighborhood and I don't think there will be many trick or treaters.
    good luck to all my lushies in your challenges.
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Take 5 is DH's favorite too! I like 3 musketeers myself. I like a rum and coke better. <snort>

Yvonne, Thanksgiving is not really the end of November but it is close. The reason we are all picking that day is because our family all gets together then and if that is not a reason to drink I don't know what is. :drinker: Love them or hate them, they will drive you to drink.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Wednesday, 0 drinks
    Thursday, 0 drinks

I am well on my way....
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    4 days
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    My kids have absolutely driven me mad today. I am at that "just give me a glass of wine, STAT" point. First I thought no don't do it that's a really bad reason to drink, then I thought just go for it, this is the last weekend before I give up for November! So I'm going to be indulging in a couple of glasses tonight :bigsmile: :drinker:

p.s. it is 7pm here so it's not as bad as it might sound!
  • rjadams
    Options
    go for it Yvonne, enjoy one for me since I can't. (like I did for you the other week:laugh: )
  • lbooth7447
    Options
    What am awesome group to find!! November 1st is my day to get serious about my nutrition and fitness! And one of the biggest things is to cut back on the Alcohol! It is so nice to see im not only one! Hah!

Are any of you guys doing P90x???
  • rjadams
    Options
    welcome lbooth. I love beachbody products but I chose ChaLean Extreme instead of P90X because of bad knees. Can't do the plyo in p90x. And even though I can lift heavy weights I can't do a pull up for the life of me. never could even when I was a gymnast.
  • rjadams
    Options
    Since it is Friday my brain is thinking wine. My will is telling it no way we can beat this. I can have wine a week from Saturday if I am good until then. This is the real challenge for me. I am cooking pasta tonight with no wine!!!! That just seems wrong on so many levels I can't begin to tell you.

To all my fellow lushes. I wish you well on your quest wether it be to drink or not. enjoy the benefits of your choice. Salut!:drinker:
  • lbooth7447
    Options
    Thank you!!

I think im going to get Turbo Fire after i complete P90X.. it will be my gift for finishing. This is my second go around..
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    yvonne, at least you have an excuse-chidlren drive you to drink, clearly! I don't have any excuse except no will power, I guess. Last night I was at my cousin's since she just had surgery, she wasn't even drinking, but I had a some tequila and a bud light, just because it was there, and that was after I had arby's and curly fries, like I was gonna go all out since I was already over on cals. So stupid, well Nov. 1 looks like a good day to get back on track. when will I learn? can't spend the week undoing what I do on the weekends!
  • nisijam5
    Options
    Hi Lushes,

Continuing my quest for sobriety this evening, weekends are tough...:grumble:

yvonne, drink your wine and enjoy it...I'll be thinking fondly of your wine:love:
    robin, good job on staying strong...I know how much you like to drink, I mean, cook with your wine:tongue:
    lbooth, congrats on your committment to sobriety, or controlling it at least:drinker:
    asjerven, you have an excuse to drink if you have a man in your life...they count as equally as children:frown:
  • mcdebbie
    Options
    I drank last night, I am drinking tonight and I will be drinking on Saturday and Sunday. Then comes Monday....
    Our drinking problem is pure and simple habit, come home and share the day over a few drinks for happy hour. Then a few more. Then before you know, it's 10pm and we are scrounging up dinner. I need suggestions on habit changing things to do for the hours between 6 and 8. Do something and then dinner at 8. I've tried doing my workouts then but that leaves DH on his own and restless. Tried going out to dinner but our bodies have become accustomed to eating dinner and falling in bed. suggestions anyone?

Robin and Kim, good luck on getting throught the weekend, I know that one has to be tough. Well, don't really KNOW as I have never done it. Give us some feedback on what kept you distracted.
  • rjadams
    Options
    I caved. I was so miserable and cranky that DH poured me a glass of red and said drink this before we piss each other off, you look great and you work hard. Just don't go crazy" What's a lush gonna do? I was still under on sugars and I got my sodium in check tonight.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    I caved. I was so miserable and cranky that DH poured me a glass of red and said drink this before we piss each other off, you look great and you work hard. Just don't go crazy" What's a lush gonna do? I was still under on sugars and I got my sodium in check tonight.

I caved too...hubs was bored and wanted to go out!!! So, I thought, weekend holiday, new month, I'm not working...enjoy it...Novemeber 1st is a whole new story
  • Oldbat61
    Oldbat61 Posts: 141
    Options
    Hi fellow lushes. Weighed in today and had lost just over 0.5lbs since last Saturday. Have really confused my metabolism this week - ignored calorie allowances, did practically no formal exercise AND drank my (self imposed) booze allowance for a month in one night!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: So, it is great to have lost and to have lost another inch off both waist and hips. Will certainly have more than my one Saturday night drink tonight as it is my friend's birthday party and I intend enjoying myself. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Off to lunch on Monday but expect to get back to calorie and exercise routine for the remainder of the week.

Happy Halloween to all you Trick or Treaters across the pond and a happy weekend to everyone.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Pam
  • georgespelvin
    Options
    Ever since breaking up with my now-ex, I've been generally drinking less, since we were both couple-of-beers or glass-of-wine with dinner drinkers. Sometimes more. So cutting down there's been easy.

Then last night I went over to get some stuff I'd left there and got a kiss and "maybe we gave up too easy." I got back to my new place, but a bottle of wine later.... ughhh. Hurray for self-medication!
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    It must be contagious....I caved last night too. Unfortunately, the one glass of wine became 2...and then the Halloween Peanut M & Ms started calling me! GRRRrrrrrrr!!! After losing 2.5 pounds this week FINALLY, I have to blow it so quickly!

Even though we have friends for dinner, I am NOT going to have wine tonight. I am a LUSH...I just can't seem to have one glass!

Hope everyone else has a better weekend with thier choices! Robin, good for you for staying under your sugar, carb, etc. limits even while having the one glass. After all, if you include that in your portions, you will still lose!

Take care, all!
  • mcdebbie
    Options
    Miserable and cranky, Dh gets like that too. And I do too when he wants to 'take a night off''. I wonder if I am being overly ambitious thinking we can do 26 days? Maybe I should just shoot for 4 days, Monday through Thursday next week? and if that works shoot for five days the following week? He bought a book for next week to give him something to do for the hours between 6 and 8 - the witching wicked hours. I wish we were all in the same town and could talk each other down when we get miserable and cranky and wicked. :smile: