Like Minded Lushes - October 2010

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Debs, that's one thing I do to get me over the time slot, is reading...quite relaxing...maybe you should try it

Any authors you like??
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I can't do the total abstaining thing. I will do no alcohol Mon-thursday and then one and only one glass of wine Firday (instead of a whole bottle) and try to keep saturday in check and be real on Sunday.

Yesterday I had a coronal light with lunch and warmed cognac with 80% dark chocolate for dessert. Not bad for a true lush like me. When I go extreme I feel so deprived that I break. I would much rather be in control. I did lose a half a pound this week so I guess its working.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    Robin, I bet you did lose weight...mine will skyrocket tomorrow when I weigh in...but, this is a new week for me

So, Sunday, 0 drinks
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Well I'm just about to pour my last glass of wine of the month, then it's no alcohol until December 1st for me. Yep I'm having doubt as to whether I can do this, especially as feeling really fed up and stressed at the moment. But I am absolutely determined to give it my best shot.
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Well that's the end of my second and final glass of wine. The only alcohol in the house now is the end of a bottle of Baileys and the end of a bottle of vodka, so as I'm not planning on buying any more until December that'll be my only temptation. :ohwell:
  • rjadams
    Options
    I wish you all the luck Yvonne. I know that you will do better than I did.
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Kim, I do read a lot but that is not how I want to spend those two hours. I want to get up off my butt. :happy:
    Robin, the only reason I/we are thinking of no drinks for the month is to cut our tolerance level. We would like to be like 'normal' people and only have 2-3 and then have dinner. Or have dinner and then have 2-3. Instead we have 8-10 and then some kind of dinner (last night it was crackers with cheese and bruschetta and crackers and lobster dip - real healthy there) I am down 2 pounds but bet it will show up again in the morning.
    Yvonne, good luck with the month. Not buying anything is a good idea. DH will be out of beer by the end of the evening and we don't drink if the other doesn't. But he always buys more beer 'just in case'. <sigh>

We have had a total of 12 trick or treaters! grrrrrrrr! Did anybody notice that the bags of candy this year were like twice the size of normal years? I was a tab bit ticked off. We did get buy one get one free but now it looks like we will be stuck with about 100 snack size candy bars. And how can I give away my beloved 3 Musketeers? :laugh:
  • rjadams
    Options
    Debbie, I used to drink like that. DH and I would polish off a 1.75 litre vodka in one to two days and we would always have a bottle or two of wine. as well. My first cut was for two weeks of abstaining. That really affected my tolerance level but not to the point of a normal person. It is all mind and will power that makes me want to stop after one glass of wine. If I give in I will still polish off two bottles without thinking about it. I do have to say I can't do the vodka anymore. I have a complete mental blackout and become another person and that is really scary so that has helped me curtail that. I really hope you can make the whole way to Thanksgiving. Your body will really appreciate it. but also realize you may experience some withdrawal if you haven't done this for a while. I wish all the power and luck that you will need.

I have been sick all afternoon so I am not having the Sam Adams Octoberfest beer I had wanted. In fact I think I may crawl back into bed really soon.

I didn't buy candy this year. I put a sign on our door. I have been out of work for a year and a half so I don't feel too bad about it.

Happy Samhain all!!!
  • nisijam5
    Options
    I'm just exhausted!!! Halloween is over!!!

Debbie, I agree with Robin as far as going cold turkey...Just make sure that you take a B-complex vitamin, it's good for the nervous system...I'm a nurse and that's now we basically take care of people...oh yeah, they get some nice xanax to go with it...lol....3rd day is usually the worst if you do get symptoms

Robin, hope you feel better...
    Yvonne, I've seen you go a long time before, I am confident that you can do it again...

No booze tonight...one small step for man, one giant leap for lushes