1zbdy5w.jpg
    Did that dog used to be a bobsledder?

Used to be?! He clearly still is.
    How dare you, sir, HOW DARE YOU.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My brother is 13 years younger than I am. When he was 2 I was shopping for Christmas presents with my boyfriend and we had my brother with us to keep him out of my mom's hair for a while. A woman actually walked up to me and started lecturing me about how I should be ashamed of myself and I was clearly too young to be having children.

I looked her dead in the eye and said, "I agree ma'am that's why I don't have any."

Face = PRICELESS!

I actually had a baby at 17 and nothing like that ever happened!

I generally attribute it to a southern big hair/bigger mouths issue. I grew up in a church where most of the ladies would be more than happy to tell you everything you're doing wrong with your life, in explicit detail....

I'm usually not very good with the snappy come back, but I remain proud of that one to this day.

That makes sense. I moved to rural southeat Georgia nine years ago and one older woman walked up behind me at an event I was covering for the newspaper, ran her hand up my leg and informed me that the only thing wrong with me was I was a "dam Yankee." lol

But I lived in New York state when my daughter was little.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    My brother is 13 years younger than I am. When he was 2 I was shopping for Christmas presents with my boyfriend and we had my brother with us to keep him out of my mom's hair for a while. A woman actually walked up to me and started lecturing me about how I should be ashamed of myself and I was clearly too young to be having children.

I looked her dead in the eye and said, "I agree ma'am that's why I don't have any."

Face = PRICELESS!

I generally attribute it to a southern big hair/bigger mouths issue. I grew up in a church where most of the ladies would be more than happy to tell you everything you're doing wrong with your life, in explicit detail....

I'm usually not very good with the snappy come back, but I remain proud of that one to this day.

That makes sense. I moved to rural southeat Georgia nine years ago and one older woman walked up behind me at an event I was covering for the newspaper, ran her hand up my leg and informed me that the only thing wrong with me was I was a "dam Yankee." lol

Yup, welcome to the south! Friendliest place on earth, unless you're not from around here.....

Just to be clear, still live in the south, lots of lovely people, lots of bigots too though...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Face = PRICELESS!

Yup, welcome to the south! Friendliest place on earth, unless you're not from around here.....

Just to be clear, still live in the south, lots of lovely people, lots of bigots too though...

lol

She was actually perfectly nice and I just laughed at what she said. I haven't had anything like that happen since. But when I lived there, I was assistant editor of the local newspaper, which made me a bit of a local celebrity and so everyone loved me (or pretended to).

Now I live in Tallahassee and it's pretty diverse and liberal, so I'm even less likely to have a similar experience here. I do love Georgia, though.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Face = PRICELESS!

lol

She was actually perfectly nice and I just laughed at what she said. I haven't had anything like that happen since. But when I lived there, I was assistant editor of the local newspaper, which made me a bit of a local celebrity and so everyone loved me (or pretended to).

Now I live in Tallahassee and it's pretty diverse and liberal, so I'm even less likely to have a similar experience here. I do love Georgia, though.

Most of them are very nice, and very outspoken. A few of them like to use the "outspoken" part as an excuse to be hateful. Mostly though, I just can't stand the weather down here! Humidity makes me grumpy.....
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    My daughter recently told me something that has helped her. Someone at work told her that when she is upset about what someone has said to remember this phrase:

Assume positive intent.

That has helped me, too. Look at what was said and put it in the most positive light and assume that was how it was meant.
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My daughter recently told me something that has helped her. Someone at work told her that when she is upset about what someone has said to remember this phrase:

Assume positive intent.

That has helped me, too. Look at what was said and put it in the most positive light and assume that was how it was meant.

i agree with this (which doesnt mean that i always accomplish it :D). i think most things can seem positive OR negative, depending how you look at it.