Those Annoying Little Comments

Options

Replies

• AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    In a cute, innocent little voice, "Oh, does that cookie (or whatever) fit into your diet?" - Yes actually, because I am not on a diet, I eat what I want, just a little less so I can lose some weight, but thanks for asking.

People talking about recipes/food/meat, "You don't want to hear about this, you don't eat meat/you're on a diet" - Unless you're talking about butchering a carcass, I'm probably okay with it... why not let me decide?

"I made this really great chicken dish last night... oh never mind, you don't eat meat/you're on a diet" - Does this mean we have nothing to talk about? I frequently convert recipes to make them lower cal/vegetarian/vegan. I like to cook and talk about food - it's not like I don't eat anymore!

"Wow, you don't eat meat? You're a really picky eater!" - Um, Whut?? I will eat every vegetable on earth (except okra & eggplant) DO NOT call me a "picky eater" because I choose not to eat dead animals.

I'm not comfortable talking about how much I weigh now, how much I've lost, how much more I intend to lose, or how much I weighed when I started my "diet". So please stop asking 3 different ways to try and figure it out or get me to "slip"and tell you. Maybe when I reach my goal weight I will give you all the gorey details, but until then, I appreciate you noticing my weight loss, let's leave it at that. :)

And my mom, God love her, every 5 minutes I hear one of these comments: "You look soooo good, I'm so proud of you!" "I can't believe you are finally doing it.", "Please don't quit, you're looking so good", "I don't know why you didn't do it sooner, all those years you could have been skinny"... Just STFU, Mom. Please.

Thanks for letting me vent OP!!
  • cupcakesANDiron
    Options
    I'm gonna go ahead and take advantage of venting here. I have a friend I dearly love, she's been a great pal for over twenty years and she is a great person. HOWEVER, when it comes to eating habits I just want to scream because she is a big believer in many restrictions and specific things that I don't put a whole lot of stock in. And while we manage to skirt the topic most times, EVERY time I see her she will get all weird for a couple minutes talking about how x and y food are giving everyone all of these diseases and they are why there is so much cancer, autoimmune disease, etc. She gets the creepiest look in her eyes when she talks about this stuff and it freaks me out. She only actually eats the way she "preaches" about 1/2 of the time anyway and she is always sick and has health issues galore...she still continues to share these "secrets" with me, never mind the fact that I have lost 118 lb in the last 5 years and have no health issues and (just for example) haven't taken any Rx meds other than birth control (in the past, not currently) and have not even needed any antibiotics in 25 years. But since I eat x and y foods and don't brush my teeth with a paste made from coconut oil, I am probably going to die quite soon.

argh that felt good. I really do love my friend, I just think she's extreme and naive.

Vent away GF! That's what this thread is all about :drinker:
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Last time my dad made the fat comment I just looked him in the eyes and said "You're an @$$hole!" and walked away. He never did it again.

Epic way to respond. Love it.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for most of my life but whenever I am with others I try my best not to be a burden. I will eat a roll of bread and nothing else happily if need be.

Anyway, I often end up in the uncomfortable situation where there is literally nothing available that doesn't contain meat and they tell me to just pick out the meat. can't do that...i would literally get sick everywhere just thinking about it.

Idk, I try as hard as possible not to burden anyone but inevitably it leads to a big to do regardless.

Now that people are noticing I am losing weight I keep getting "helpful tips" which obviously I don't need since what I am already doing is working amazingly.

This! I'm vegetarian and know this feeling.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    "She's on a diet."
    "is that part of your diet?"
    "Why are you dieting?"
    ANYTHING WITH THE FREAKIN WORD "DIET" !

I just hate the word "diet". I'm not doing any type of short-term, deprivation fad "diet". I've been living my life, completely normally, eating healthy, exercising regularly. Diets don't usually last for TWO YEARS.

LIFESTYLE! PLEASE USE THE WORD!

Also
    "you don't want to get too thin"
    "don't lose much more"

This isn't really the same, but when people ask for my advice and want to know how they can lose weight too, I give them my best tools and tips. AND THEN THEY COMPLETELY IGNORE IT ALL! Why?! WHY DID YOU EVEN ASK ME THEN?! It's even worse when they complain the next day that they "can't" lose weight... :ohwell:

Thanks for the opportunity to rant :laugh:
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to highjack this thread, but.... could you also add what you would LIKE to hear?
    saying nothing is bad because you would like your weight loss to be at least noticed
    saying 'you look great!' implies, I guess... that you didn't before?
    knowing my luck, if I say "wow, your hard work is really showing", the person will be fighting some disease :noway:

I haven't lost enough for anyone but my hubby to notice (and I'm not quite sure he isn't just being nice ), but, seriously, what would you like your friends to say when their entire intent is to compliment you?:huh:

:flowerforyou:

You can say someone looks good without specifying further (and it doesn't need to imply they looked bad before), but it's actually safest not to comment on someone's body or food intake at all. Why do you feel the need to have your weight loss commented on? You aren't losing it for compliments, surely? Anyway if you do feel compelled to say something about someone else's appearance then how about admiring their hair or jewellery instead?
  • bethanytapp
    bethanytapp Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I get annoyed when people ask if I've been sick and when I say no I'm just eating better they smile and say they were worried about me.... makes me wonder if I look ill??

Also uncomfortable when people assume my food choices are specifically to loose weight and think that now that I'm at goal I'll start eating wheat and dairy again. They get really confused when I tell them I gained 40 pounds and lost 60 eating gluten and dairy free.

I also find that people don't want to talk about anything else with me anymore. Every conversation is about weight loss, diet, food and exercise. I want to just be treated like the same person I've always been.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    "Are you still on diet?" I'm like "NO! I just prefer eating healthy."

It's so annoying!
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to highjack this thread, but.... could you also add what you would LIKE to hear?
    saying nothing is bad because you would like your weight loss to be at least noticed
    saying 'you look great!' implies, I guess... that you didn't before?
    knowing my luck, if I say "wow, your hard work is really showing", the person will be fighting some disease :noway:

I haven't lost enough for anyone but my hubby to notice (and I'm not quite sure he isn't just being nice ), but, seriously, what would you like your friends to say when their entire intent is to compliment you?:huh:

You can say someone looks good without specifying further (and it doesn't need to imply they looked bad before), but it's actually safest not to comment on someone's body or food intake at all. Why do you feel the need to have your weight loss commented on? You aren't losing it for compliments, surely? Anyway if you do feel compelled to say something about someone else's appearance then how about admiring their hair or jewellery instead?

Agree, tbh. It's better not to comment anything. I don't do it! I have people in my life that have lost weight and I just can give them a compliment that they look good, but don't specify on anything. I could be talking about their outfit today, etc. If you know what I mean.
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Quite simply, when people ask your weight/dress size or make uninvited guesses at it.

Why on earth is it anybody's business but mine?? If I bring up the subject then fair enough but otherwise... just why!
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Okay, here are mine:

1. That 1000 cals a day is unhealthy. I'm not sure if the 1200 is a US thing or not but back in the 90's in the UK Dr's were recomending 1000 cals a day as a good target. What has changed? Plus- one size does not fit all.
    2. That paleo- fans do it only as an excuse to eat loads of meat. Wrong. I gave up vegetarianism to follow this way of eating as i think it's healthier (not looking for a debate here- just personal opinion). I'm not a fan of meat- and I'm really picky. Plus when used as a reducing diet you do need to watch calories and maintain a deficit.
    3.The starvation mode thing- don't get me started.
    4. Friends asking me whats healthy to eat. Nutrient dense does not automatically = low calorie. Low calorie does not automatically = healthy. Low carb/fat does not = low cal etc. It depends on what you want to do- increase nutirents, cut calories, increase (soluable) fibre, build muscle etc. They want a one-stop wonder food (that hopefully comes in the form of a cupcake)

and
    5. Aren't you small? Gosh- you are just tiny!You are so cute- like a little doll etc. etc. I'm 5ft0- so what! I don't comment of your height! (nor do I try to pick you up and carry you around)
    6. You are so pale, you are pasty, you are the colour of a milk bottle. Why don't you tan? You should use some bronzer. I'm pale- I love it. I don't tan- never have and I look younger for my age than my freinds who do tan. Don't comment on my skin colour or I'll start calling you racist.
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have allergies (face/throat swelling ones) and trigger foods (I have medical dietary restrictions for a diagnosed medical condition). The amount of rude comments I get about those is phenomenal. Everyone assumes it's either a fad or, perhaps worse, that it's some method of making myself the center of attention.

As a fairly extreme introvert I both HATE being the center of attention, and I hate feeling like strangers are insisting I share personal medical information with them so they can decide how far they believe my 'delusions' go. It seems to make some people feel really insecure and they can get surprisingly aggressive and confrontational about it.

I have a friend with diabetes, and he has the same issue when it comes to social events in that he's constantly explaining himself when he says "no thank you" to obvious items. He's far more outgoing and a lot less private than I am and even he has commented he feels like he should be wearing a big badge which says "I have diabetes" on it to stop him from having to talk about it endlessly.
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    This just in, "Don't get too obsessive!" Posted on my NSV post on FB, which seems to be collecting lots of annoying comments. Trying to recall if my formerly skinny fat-to-Adonis male friend had equivalent remarks. Oh no, he didn't.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    6. You are so pale, you are pasty, you are the colour of a milk bottle. Why don't you tan? You should use some bronzer. I'm pale- I love it. I don't tan- never have and I look younger for my age than my freinds who do tan. Don't comment on my skin colour or I'll start calling you racist.

I get this. "You're so pale! Are you eating?" YES, I'M JUST GINGER YOU IDIOT
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    omg youre so pale! its cause you dont eat meat, girl you need to eat right! *giggles*

or when people tell me im always tired because i live on a vegan diet.

i have always been pale and i have always been tired (now a little less actually), no matter what i ate..
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Lorry driver at work who I hadn't seen for a few months noticed I'd lost weight, complimented me on it, but then told me that 'people like us' (him with his massive belly and me with, well, I don't know) aren't meant to be thin and that I shouldn't lose much more weight.
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Oh and the veggie stuff - the stupid questions. 'How do you know vegetables don't feel pain?' 'What would happen to all the animals if we didn't eat them?'
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Most of them come from my family because they're the ones who have seen me all of my life.

"You're too skinny now. You look like a stick."
    "You look creepy."
    "You're all calf now---twig and then calf." (I have big calves for my size.)
    "Your bones are sticking out. Gross."

My husband, who is very much a great guy and a big supporter recently told me he would like me to regain a few pounds. I get it. And he definitely doesn't bother me about it. But I don't want to so I won't.

Because of my work schedule, there are a lot of people who haven't seen me in awhile so I am not looking forward to those comments.

And from the message boards, anyone who is, "OMG 5:2/IF/ETC. sounds SO STUPID AND AWFUL B/C YOUR BODY WILL STARVE." Without realizing that losing weight is all a numbers game and at the end of the week, we're still eating at the same deficit so your argument makes absolutely no sense.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I'm reading all of these things and all I can think is that I wish I had lost enough weight for people to start saying rude things about my smallness.

• SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Oh and the veggie stuff - the stupid questions. 'How do you know vegetables don't feel pain?' 'What would happen to all the animals if we didn't eat them?'

and "but youre taking food from the animals! what are they gonna eat?". i guess its meant to be funny. its not.