Paleo?

Options

Replies

• skygirll
    skygirll Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just found out about Paleo a couple weeks ago, and I'm so excited to find a "diet" that works with so many of my food allergies!
    I've been gluten free over 10 years after being diagnosed with Celiac disease, and the gf diet is high in corn, potatoes, and rice which I'm also allergic to but eat anyway because I got tired of figuring out what I could eat that was gluten free. When I was on my own specialized allergy diet, I lost 40 pounds but gained it back after a stressful event made me crave comfort (still no gluten) foods. My allergist/immunologist only told me what I couldn't eat, not what I could, and it was really hard coming up with ideas of what to eat. After hearing about Paleo, I realized that was pretty much what I was on (allergy diet) when I was skinny, but there are RECIPES and COOKBOOKS for this! I don't have to do it all by myself this time! I'm hoping that 40lbs drops back off as quickly this time!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I just found out about Paleo a couple weeks ago, and I'm so excited to find a "diet" that works with so many of my food allergies!
    I've been gluten free over 10 years after being diagnosed with Celiac disease, and the gf diet is high in corn, potatoes, and rice which I'm also allergic to but eat anyway because I got tired of figuring out what I could eat that was gluten free. When I was on my own specialized allergy diet, I lost 40 pounds but gained it back after a stressful event made me crave comfort (still no gluten) foods. My allergist/immunologist only told me what I couldn't eat, not what I could, and it was really hard coming up with ideas of what to eat. After hearing about Paleo, I realized that was pretty much what I was on (allergy diet) when I was skinny, but there are RECIPES and COOKBOOKS for this! I don't have to do it all by myself this time! I'm hoping that 40lbs drops back off as quickly this time!

You are one of the people that really benefit from this diet! I'm glad you found out about it. Don't stop eating tomatoes and legumes though, unless you have a problem with them.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    OP, I would check out some recipes or meal plans on Paleo or Primal sites and see if they sound appealing. If they do, "eat paleo" for as many meals as you want. Don't give yourself a time limit to reach unless you have to for some medical reason. That will give you an idea of how much you would enjoy Paleo. If you try it for awhile and find yourself "cheating" a lot, it's probably not for you. If you have fewer cravings and feel better about your diet and your health, there's your answer. :flowerforyou:
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I probably know more than you do. Enough to know that there is a macronutrient distribution associated with paleo and orimal eating so therefore macros are important and worth tracking and also enough to know that paleo doesn't operate outside the laws of thermodynamics.

I've read a little on the topic, but don't mind me.

If you wish to believe that then that's your choice - not every choice we make in life is the right one though!

It's not a belief. It's science. It's fact. Kinda like it's a fact that most of your posts make you look like an idiot.

Maybe you just have a more sensitive idiot radar than most - after all idiots gravitate toward each other.

As far as science goes, if you are suggesting that a paleo or LCHF style of eating is unhealthy please post the studies.

Or if you are only commenting against the diet because you personally would find it hard to restrict certain foods and have a limited logic that if you would struggle the other 7 billion people in the world would be just like you, then with no offence intended - shutupandlift.

The vast majority of the 7 billion people that you refer to would probably prefer not to give up food they like to eat when there's no actual benefit to doing so. Lying to people about the benefits of giving up food that they'd otherwise enjoy is wrong and bad. And I know you're not actually lying, because you believe what you say to be true, but someone, somewhere along the line has spun a bunch of lies and/or misconceptions to sell a book.

What's most remarkable about the lies told to promote the paleo diet fad, is that you only have to have a 101 knowledge of palaeoanthropology to know it's a whole load of bull. The people promoting it haven't even studied palaeoanthropology. That ought to be a big fat red flag.

That would be Mark and his Daily Apple who promotes a book titled The Primal Blueprint". His blurb says

"Combining modern genetic science with the immutable principles of human evolution, health and fitness expert Mark Sisson presents a revolutionary, easy-to-follow program based on ten Primal Blueprint laws that will change your life forever:

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-book/the-primal-blueprint/#ixzz2yTloeZyp"

Clearly he knows little about genetic science and human evolution.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I probably know more than you do. Enough to know that there is a macronutrient distribution associated with paleo and orimal eating so therefore macros are important and worth tracking and also enough to know that paleo doesn't operate outside the laws of thermodynamics.

If you wish to believe that then that's your choice - not every choice we make in life is the right one though!

It's not a belief. It's science. It's fact. Kinda like it's a fact that most of your posts make you look like an idiot.

Maybe you just have a more sensitive idiot radar than most - after all idiots gravitate toward each other.

As far as science goes, if you are suggesting that a paleo or LCHF style of eating is unhealthy please post the studies.

Or if you are only commenting against the diet because you personally would find it hard to restrict certain foods and have a limited logic that if you would struggle the other 7 billion people in the world would be just like you, then with no offence intended - shutupandlift.

The vast majority of the 7 billion people that you refer to would probably prefer not to give up food they like to eat when there's no actual benefit to doing so. Lying to people about the benefits of giving up food that they'd otherwise enjoy is wrong and bad. And I know you're not actually lying, because you believe what you say to be true, but someone, somewhere along the line has spun a bunch of lies and/or misconceptions to sell a book.

What's most remarkable about the lies told to promote the paleo diet fad, is that you only have to have a 101 knowledge of palaeoanthropology to know it's a whole load of bull. The people promoting it haven't even studied palaeoanthropology. That ought to be a big fat red flag.

That would be Mark and his Daily Apple who promotes a book titled The Primal Blueprint". His blurb says

"Combining modern genetic science with the immutable principles of human evolution, health and fitness expert Mark Sisson presents a revolutionary, easy-to-follow program based on ten Primal Blueprint laws that will change your life forever:

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-book/the-primal-blueprint/#ixzz2yTloeZyp"

Please expand on this point!
  • likitisplit
    Options

Mark is just the latest. Paleo has been around since the 70s (from what I remember)
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options

Certainly.

His claim. "You may already have a pretty fair understanding of how the human genome evolved to exactly where it is today (or 10,000 years ago, to be more precise) based on the environmental and behavioral factors under which our ancestors lived through natural selection."

The reality. Human evolutionary events occurred as recently as 3000 years ago. http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2010/07/01/tibetan_genome/ so to assume that we all share the same genomic features of our ancestors 10,000 years ago is wrong.

His claim. "We have immense control through lifestyle behaviors to turn some genes on and other genes off for desired physical results."

The reality. This statement is ridiculous. We don't have the knowledge to control differential gene expression (turning genes on and off) for desired physical results. It's an extremely complex process and our knowledge is in its infancy.

His genetics claims all sounds lovely and "sciencey" but they're a lot of hogswallop.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    If you want detailed information as to why paleo is good for you, you're probably better off checking out google. But I'll give you some of my personal pros and cons:

Pros:
    -Bacon.
    -More energy
    -I wake right up in the mornings now.
    -I feel better when I'm putting healthy stuff in my body.
    -Weight comes off pretty easily, especially at first.
    -Encourages you to cook at home since it's easier that way.

Cons:
    -That initial carb flu blows.
    -My wife had some minor lactose issues to start with, but after months of not regularly dairy it's evolved into a full lactose allergy. This also happened to my best friend. I, however, had no issues with dairy to start with and can still cheat with it just fine.
    -Going out to eat and being paleo good can be difficult depending on what restaurant you end up in.
    -If you don't devote enough time to food prep, it can really suck.

I guess to sum it up, if you have any issues with eating grains or dairy to start with, paleo is a great lifestyle. I would definitely say it's not for everyone though. I eat paleo and I love it. My wife and I stopped eating paleo for a while and realized we were miserable. Since we've gone back, we've definitely noticed how much of a difference eating paleo makes for us.

lol…so fat comes off more easily doing paleo???? Oh really..?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - ini the end it is up to you to do what you want…

here is what I will say

1. paleo has nothing to do with what our paleolithic brethren ate…
    2. paleo is not some magical fat burning process that is superior to others…
    3. you can eat in a 500 calorie per day deficit, work out/move more, eat the foods that YOU like, and you will lose just as much weight/fat as you would on paleo…

if you want to do it because you think you might like it, then by all means do it ….but don't go into thinking that after two months of paleo you are going to lose more fat then you would on a calorie deficit …..
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Certainly.

His claim. "You may already have a pretty fair understanding of how the human genome evolved to exactly where it is today (or 10,000 years ago, to be more precise) based on the environmental and behavioral factors under which our ancestors lived through natural selection."

The reality. Human evolutionary events occurred as recently as 3000 years ago. http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2010/07/01/tibetan_genome/ so to assume that we all share the same genomic features of our ancestors 10,000 years ago is wrong.

His claim. "We have immense control through lifestyle behaviors to turn some genes on and other genes off for desired physical results."

The reality. This statement is ridiculous. We don't have the knowledge to control differential gene expression (turning genes on and off) for desired physical results. It's an extremely complex process and our knowledge is in its infancy.

His genetics claims all sounds lovely and "sciencey" but they're a lot of hogswallop.

Fair enough - thank you for your opinion.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    this is where I see this thread headed…

epic-fail-gifs-magic-fail_zpse29a59c8.gif?t=1397103139
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

here is what I will say

3. you can eat in a 500 calorie per day deficit, work out/move more, eat the foods that YOU like, and you will lose just as much weight/fat as you would on paleo…

if you want to do it because you think you might like it, then by all means do it ….but don't go into thinking that after two months of paleo you are going to lose more fat then you would on a calorie deficit …..
    This, there's nothing wrong with incorporating some paleo foods into your eating or going full paleo if it is how you want to eat. But it's not a magical cure for being fat.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Alright, I've been a little afraid to post this because I heard it will start "forum flame wars," but I've just heard different things about it and I was wondering exactly what it is and why it may be good/bad for you. What are the pros/cons? Have any of you tried it?

Sorry in advance for any arguments this thread may cause....

Pros - Get to join the cult of paleo, may also be accepted to the cult of crossfit

Cons- Unnecessary for weightloss and health (medical reasons not withstanding), wheat, legumes and dairy are pretty tasty

This ^^
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    [OP - ini the end it is up to you to do what you want…

here is what I will say

This^^^^^^^^
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

here is what I will say

QFT...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

here is what I will say

pretty solid.

You know what I like about the paleo craze- it gives you recipes you can google by adding 'paleo' that you know will have a restricted ingredient list- for someone who is lazy as ballz and doesn't like to cook excessively complicated meals- it works out great.

My ice cream and oreo obsessions lands me squarely in the "not paleo" category- but if you look at what people who are serious BB eat- look at their diet - it's hysterically close to paleo while they are cutting- but none of them are paleo- but the macro's you need for certain things- it works out well.

I don't call myself paleo- for a lot of reasons- (because it' wacky) but if you look at what I eat regularly- it's very primal/paleo-ish- lots of steak, chicken and veggies, salads and bacon and eggs. milk and yogurt are staples and then- chili and black bean soup are my big legume thing- but that's only winter time.

You can eat like something and not ascribe to the cult.

Not everything needs a frigging label.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

here is what I will say

pretty solid.

You know what I like about the paleo craze- it gives you recipes you can google by adding 'paleo' that you know will have a restricted ingredient list- for someone who is lazy as ballz and doesn't like to cook excessively complicated meals- it works out great.

My ice cream and oreo obsessions lands me squarely in the "not paleo" category- but if you look at what people who are serious BB eat- look at their diet - it's hysterically close to paleo while they are cutting- but none of them are paleo- but the macro's you need for certain things- it works out well.

I don't call myself paleo- for a lot of reasons- (because it' wacky) but if you look at what I eat regularly- it's very primal/paleo-ish- lots of steak, chicken and veggies, salads and bacon and eggs. milk and yogurt are staples and then- chili and black bean soup are my big legume thing- but that's only winter time.

You can eat like something and not ascribe to the cult.

Not everything needs a frigging label.

So you're on a MDMR diet?
  • likitisplit
    Options

Wow. Calling that an "oversimplification" of out CURRENT knowledge of genetic function is doing him an extreme kindness.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Wow. Calling that an "oversimplification" of out CURRENT knowledge of genetic function is doing him an extreme kindness.

I do believe he is talking about gene expression! And yes he does conclude we are at a very early stage of understanding.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18396267?ordinalpos=15&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18381840?ordinalpos=21&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18240541?ordinalpos=98&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum