Paleo?

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    After sitting through a ton of lectures, and living through the "upcoming" gene expression arrays and how they were going to revolutionize genetics, I've learned that a lot of scientists are leery of them. They are incredibly difficult to replicate in an independent lab, and there are so many variables affecting the expression, it is hard to make a correlation claim.

The first article only used 8 animals for the expression arrays. If they were able to replicate the results, then maybe there would be some credibility to it. I also wish they mentioned how many other arrays they ran that did not follow the same pattern, but no one publishes that information. No one likes negative data.

In both the first and second articles, the animals were sacrificed using CO2 suffocation prior to blood extraction for the genetic analysis. This is likely due to the large amount of blood needed and ethical concerns regarding the "best way to kill an animal". However, while the ethics committees get final say in how they should be killed, it often negates genetic results. Suffocation of the animals can take up to 5 minutes, and the body responds drastically to slowly being denied oxygen. This itself starts changes in the expression of genes.

It is far more effective to perform cervical dislocation, and some studies have made the justification to their ethics committees that they cannot get accurate results without it. Many do not, and just do what the committee tells them to do. This calls into question the validity of many of these tests. And it's a problem that many geneticists are trying to find a way to deal with. As far as I know, there is no consensus yet.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I probably know more than you do. Enough to know that there is a macronutrient distribution associated with paleo and orimal eating so therefore macros are important and worth tracking and also enough to know that paleo doesn't operate outside the laws of thermodynamics.

I've read a little on the topic, but don't mind me.

If you wish to believe that then that's your choice - not every choice we make in life is the right one though!

It's not a belief. It's science. It's fact. Kinda like it's a fact that most of your posts make you look like an idiot.

Maybe you just have a more sensitive idiot radar than most - after all idiots gravitate toward each other.

As far as science goes, if you are suggesting that a paleo or LCHF style of eating is unhealthy please post the studies.

Or if you are only commenting against the diet because you personally would find it hard to restrict certain foods and have a limited logic that if you would struggle the other 7 billion people in the world would be just like you, then with no offence intended - shutupandlift.

The vast majority of the 7 billion people that you refer to would probably prefer not to give up food they like to eat when there's no actual benefit to doing so. Lying to people about the benefits of giving up food that they'd otherwise enjoy is wrong and bad. And I know you're not actually lying, because you believe what you say to be true, but someone, somewhere along the line has spun a bunch of lies and/or misconceptions to sell a book.

What's most remarkable about the lies told to promote the paleo diet fad, is that you only have to have a 101 knowledge of palaeoanthropology to know it's a whole load of bull. The people promoting it haven't even studied palaeoanthropology. That ought to be a big fat red flag.

That would be Mark and his Daily Apple who promotes a book titled The Primal Blueprint". His blurb says

"Combining modern genetic science with the immutable principles of human evolution, health and fitness expert Mark Sisson presents a revolutionary, easy-to-follow program based on ten Primal Blueprint laws that will change your life forever:

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-book/the-primal-blueprint/#ixzz2yTloeZyp"

Clearly he knows little about genetic science and human evolution.

Mark is just the latest. Paleo has been around since the 70s (from what I remember)

Yes, Art Devany has been researching this for a long time.............
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I probably know more than you do. Enough to know that there is a macronutrient distribution associated with paleo and orimal eating so therefore macros are important and worth tracking and also enough to know that paleo doesn't operate outside the laws of thermodynamics.

If you wish to believe that then that's your choice - not every choice we make in life is the right one though!

It's not a belief. It's science. It's fact. Kinda like it's a fact that most of your posts make you look like an idiot.

Maybe you just have a more sensitive idiot radar than most - after all idiots gravitate toward each other.

As far as science goes, if you are suggesting that a paleo or LCHF style of eating is unhealthy please post the studies.

Or if you are only commenting against the diet because you personally would find it hard to restrict certain foods and have a limited logic that if you would struggle the other 7 billion people in the world would be just like you, then with no offence intended - shutupandlift.

The vast majority of the 7 billion people that you refer to would probably prefer not to give up food they like to eat when there's no actual benefit to doing so. Lying to people about the benefits of giving up food that they'd otherwise enjoy is wrong and bad. And I know you're not actually lying, because you believe what you say to be true, but someone, somewhere along the line has spun a bunch of lies and/or misconceptions to sell a book.

What's most remarkable about the lies told to promote the paleo diet fad, is that you only have to have a 101 knowledge of palaeoanthropology to know it's a whole load of bull. The people promoting it haven't even studied palaeoanthropology. That ought to be a big fat red flag.

That would be Mark and his Daily Apple who promotes a book titled The Primal Blueprint". His blurb says

"Combining modern genetic science with the immutable principles of human evolution, health and fitness expert Mark Sisson presents a revolutionary, easy-to-follow program based on ten Primal Blueprint laws that will change your life forever:

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-book/the-primal-blueprint/#ixzz2yTloeZyp"

Mark is just the latest. Paleo has been around since the 70s (from what I remember)

I think paleo really broke big about 2001 with Loran Cordain.

Last year and so far this year it has been the widest searched diet on google.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Art is among the first. Art Devany has been living this way for a loooong time. He is in his late 70's and looks like he is in his 50's. He is obviously doing something right. Art looks damn good for his age.

Loren Cordain came along later..........then Mark Sisson, Robb Wolf, Nora Gedgadaus, Chris Kresser, and others.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzREg-UKR4aI4yxyYXJpkJVFAPPrwCrgPqmeQQLqCgQMOy1He5Og

Art-DeVany-229x300.png
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Art is among the first. Art Devany has been living this way for a loooong time. He is in his late 70's and looks like he is in his 50's. He is obviously doing something right. Art looks damn good for his age.

Loren Cordain came along later..........then Mark Sisson, Robb Wolf, Nora Gedgadaus, Chris Kresser, and others.

Art-DeVany-229x300.png

Art was also an elite athlete in his younger days. I would argue genetics plays a significant role as well...
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    bump
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Art-DeVany-229x300.png

Art was also an elite athlete in his younger days. I would argue genetics plays a significant role as well...

Also the rest of his lifestyle. He looks pretty active. Activity plays a huge role in health.

Paleo isn't "bad". It can be unnecessarily restrictive for most people but, as we've discussed many times, the human species is highly adaptable in terms of diet. Paleo is one example of the variability. Veganism is another example. There are people who are life-long vegans as well.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Art-DeVany-229x300.png

These pictures must be photo shopped. I'm sure that people were arguing that Paleo cannot be followed long term. Maybe this guy will cave in soon and eat bread because he can't live without it!!!!

You say he's been following this since the what 60/70's - early days really.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    One thing I find ironic is that despite the load of flak Paleo gets from all directions, it's still the go-to diet when the s*** totally hits the fan medically speaking and it's do or die.

Got type 2 diabetes? Try to reverse it by going Paleo.

Got Auto-Immune disorder? Doc says try Paleo.

Chronic Inflammation? MD says you could try Paleo.

Morbid Obesity?

Digestive problems?

RA?

Behavioral issues?

Autism ?

Why are we waiting until we (or a loved one) have chronic illness to start reaping the benefits?

How much of this could be avoided if we weren't triggering illness with the Standard American Diet? (I realize some of these are genetic and cannot be cured, but there's a lot of info out there about Paleo helping tremendously reduce symptoms.)

Here's a real life story.

I'm sitting on 3 weeks PTO at work, trying to find a festival or event to vend at during my extended vacation to earn some extra dough for an exotic trip abroad.

Do you know why I'm sitting on 3 weeks PTO?

It's because I'm the only person in my office that doesn't get sick and use their time for sick leave.

So for me... Paleo = trip abroad and extra $$
  • J72FIT
    Options
    One thing I find ironic is that despite the load of flak Paleo gets from all directions, it's still the go-to diet when the s*** totally hits the fan medically speaking and it's do or die.

Morbid Obesity?

Digestive problems?

RA?

Behavioral issues?

Autism ?

Why are we waiting until we (or a loved one) have chronic illness to start reaping the benefits?

How much of this could be avoided if we weren't triggering illness with the Standard American Diet? (I realize some of these are genetic and cannot be cured, but there's a lot of info out there about Paleo helping tremendously reduce symptoms.)

I'm sitting on 3 weeks PTO at work, trying to find a festival or event to vend at during my extended vacation to earn some extra dough for an exotic trip abroad.

It's because I'm the only person in my office that doesn't get sick and use their time for sick leave.

You're assuming all of this is attributed to Paleo...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Morbid Obesity?

Digestive problems?

RA?

Behavioral issues?

Autism ?

I do not do Paleo and I only get sick about once a year...so what does that mean?
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    It means you're healthy without Paleo, and I'm assuming that you've figured out an optimal diet and fitness regimen without Paleo ever being involved.

And it looks like it's working out great for you.

:flowerforyou:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    It means you're healthy without Paleo, and I'm assuming that you've figured out an optimal diet and fitness regimen without Paleo ever being involved.

And it looks like it's working out great for you.

so you admit you are wrong then? Great...
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Not at all. Doctors still recommend Paleo diets to type 2 diabetes patients.

People with other issues are still benefiting from Paleo.

If you're healthy and happy, with no inclination to go Paleo, don't go Paleo.

I was pointing out the irony in the fact that it's the last ditch resort when something goes terribly wrong, while everyone is repeating the mantra "Don't do Paleo unless something is wrong."

There is such a thing as preventative medicine.

I had reactive hypoglycemia in the past (a symptom of pre-diabetes.)

I went Paleo, now it's gone.

When I weighed 245 and had hypoglycemia, I was about a season away from being your next type 2 diabetes patient.

Knowing the diabetes runs in my family, I'm going to stay Paleo to prevent it.

Now I have no symptoms of anything diabetic, and probably never will, because I choose a healing diet that is recommended for type 2 diabetes patients.

• J72FIT
    Options
    Not at all. Doctors still recommend Paleo diets to type 2 diabetes patients.

People with other issues are still benefiting from Paleo.

If you're healthy and happy, with no inclination to go Paleo, don't go Paleo.

I was pointing out the irony in the fact that it's the last ditch resort when something goes terribly wrong, while everyone is repeating the mantra "Don't do Paleo unless something is wrong."

There is such a thing as preventative medicine.

I had reactive hypoglycemia in the past (a symptom of pre-diabetes.)

I went Paleo, now it's gone.

When I weighed 245 and had hypoglycemia, I was about a season away from being your next type 2 diabetes patient.

Knowing the diabetes runs in my family, I'm going to stay Paleo to prevent it.

Now I have no symptoms of anything diabetic, and probably never will, because I choose a healing diet that is recommended for type 2 diabetes patients.

Again, you are assuming all this is due to plaeo...
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I do assume it's the whole lifestyle, everything that might encompass the term "Primal Living". Working out, drastic dietary alterations, focusing on adequate sleep, focusing on community.

The program I'm most fond of (which I'm sure you already know at this point is the Primal Blueprint) brings it all together for one big holistic make-over.

If you could imagine someone who weighed 245, smoked, drank, depressed, office worker, no exercise ever, even paid someone to clean my house, anti-anxiety pill user with depression and insomnia, high-stress job, kids, and a new dx of reactive hypoglycemia on top of all that etc etc etc go from all that to:

185, still smoke and drink minimally, exercise 2-3 times a week, still work in an office, clean my own house, no meds at all (almost no anxiety/depression/insomia either!), low-to medium stress job, kids and no hypoglycemia at all

then you can imagine how much this lifestyle, and yes, diet, has changed my life for the better.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I do primal and it works for me. I started strict Paleo and felt awesome. It was the only thing I found to help out with the extreme bouts of fatigue I was experiencing (which I now is related to a thyroid disorder). But wanted to see if I could add back in dairy without any adverse effects. There were none for me (no lactose or casein issues apparently), so I eat dairy as well -- generally cheese, cream and butter for cooking, sauces and/or garnish. I'm not much a legume fan, with the exception of peanuts, and I like almonds, macadamias, etc. just as much, if not more, than peanuts, so it's an easy switch. Peanuts are just cheaper and more convenient. Either way, I limit my nuts as a general rule as it's just so easy to overeat them.

I also opt for the 80/20 rule, probably for psychological reasons more than anything else as my diet actually ends up being more like 95/5. But, it feels good to me to have the occasional dark chocolate or something like that if I want to -- takes away the forbidden food idea.

If you really love grains, pasta, bread or legumes, it's probably not a good fit for you. But, if you're like me and those things aren't a big deal (and you end of feeling better not eating them -- which was a big surprise for me), then it can be a good fit. I still love my pasta sauces (I make a mean vodka sauce) and curries -- I just serve them over spaghetti squash or roasted cauliflower now instead of pasta or rice. And, let me tell you, roasted cauliflower is ridiculously filling -- I was sort of shocked by it.

I don't know why people pooh-pooh Paleo/Primal or keto so much on this site. They're all valid paths to the same place -- i.e. healthier living. Some appear to be threatened by the existence of equally valid paths. Still boggles my mind.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    I do assume it's the whole lifestyle, everything that might encompass the term "Primal Living". Working out, drastic dietary alterations, focusing on adequate sleep, focusing on community.

The program I'm most fond of (which I'm sure you already know at this point is the Primal Blueprint) brings it all together for one big holistic make-over.

If you could imagine someone who weighed 245, smoked, drank, depressed, office worker, no exercise ever, even paid someone to clean my house, anti-anxiety pill user with depression and insomnia, high-stress job, kids, and a new dx of reactive hypoglycemia on top of all that etc etc etc go from all that to:

185, still smoke and drink minimally, exercise 2-3 times a week, still work in an office, clean my own house, no meds at all (almost no anxiety/depression/insomia either!), low-to medium stress job, kids and no hypoglycemia at all

then you can imagine how much this lifestyle, and yes, diet, has changed my life for the better.

I think it's great that you achieved all of this. I am just wondering, what about losing weight, reducing stress and getting adequate is sleep is intrinsically paleo/primal?
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

I think it's great that you achieved all of this. I am just wondering, what about losing weight, reducing stress and getting adequate is sleep is intrinsically paleo/primal?

They're part of the plan endorsed by Primal. So, they're intrinsic to that plan, but certainly not exclusive to that plan.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

They're part of the plan endorsed by Primal. So, they're intrinsic to that plan, but certainly not exclusive to that plan.

I just can't.