Paleo?

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I do assume it's the whole lifestyle, everything that might encompass the term "Primal Living". Working out, drastic dietary alterations, focusing on adequate sleep, focusing on community.

The program I'm most fond of (which I'm sure you already know at this point is the Primal Blueprint) brings it all together for one big holistic make-over.

If you could imagine someone who weighed 245, smoked, drank, depressed, office worker, no exercise ever, even paid someone to clean my house, anti-anxiety pill user with depression and insomnia, high-stress job, kids, and a new dx of reactive hypoglycemia on top of all that etc etc etc go from all that to:

185, still smoke and drink minimally, exercise 2-3 times a week, still work in an office, clean my own house, no meds at all (almost no anxiety/depression/insomia either!), low-to medium stress job, kids and no hypoglycemia at all

then you can imagine how much this lifestyle, and yes, diet, has changed my life for the better.

I think it's great that you achieved all of this. I am just wondering, what about losing weight, reducing stress and getting adequate is sleep is intrinsically paleo/primal?

They're part of the plan endorsed by Primal. So, they're intrinsic to that plan, but certainly not exclusive to that plan.

Agreed, the diet focus more on overall health and fitness than just weight lose.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I think it's great that you achieved all of this. I am just wondering, what about losing weight, reducing stress and getting adequate is sleep is intrinsically paleo/primal?

They're part of the plan endorsed by Primal. So, they're intrinsic to that plan, but certainly not exclusive to that plan.

wow

just. wow.
    So you're on a MDMR diet?
    so after googling- and at the risk of sounding stupid- I have no idea what that is. Typically I call it the sea food diet. but you know if you must give it a name- I guess sure I"ll take that one too.

I personally don't feel the need to label the way I eat- it's not necessary since I have no restrictions other than not eating to much. I just tell people "I'm cutting" Or "I'm bulking" and they can get it or not get it but I'm not going on a 20 minute discussion explaining why on Tuesday I ate oreo's and ice cream and on Wednesday I only ate chicken and veggies.

not worth it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

wow

just. wow.
    so after googling- and at the risk of sounding stupid- I have no idea what that is. Typically I call it the sea food diet. but you know if you must give it a name- I guess sure I"ll take that one too.

I personally don't feel the need to label the way I eat- it's not necessary since I have no restrictions other than not eating to much. I just tell people "I'm cutting" Or "I'm bulking" and they can get it or not get it but I'm not going on a 20 minute discussion explaining why on Tuesday I ate oreo's and ice cream and on Wednesday I only ate chicken and veggies.

not worth it.

There's better things to worry about. You only need to give it a name if you want other people to join you.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    The name just also makes it easier to discuss. For those that already understand the definition, it's just easier. Sort of the whole point of labels in the first place.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    The name just also makes it easier to discuss. For those that already understand the definition, it's just easier. Sort of the whole point of labels in the first place.

what's there to discuss? I eat a lot of chicken and veggies and ice cream and oreos and beer and water.

I eat above or below maintenance for cutting or bulking- why do I need a label- I'm not a group- I didn't join a group- this isn't a group thing.

not EVERYTHING needs a label.
  • likitisplit
    Options

One of the issues people have with Paleo, though, is that there doesn't seem to be a consistent standard or definition.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

One of the issues people have with Paleo, though, is that there doesn't seem to be a consistent standard or definition.

The funny part is that it only seems to be the people who are against it that have this issue. I've never seen anyone that is actually pro-primal or paleo care about it one way or the other. I certainly don't. I understand the label and flexibility with them. It's not really that difficult.
  • likitisplit
    Options

The funny part is that it only seems to be the people who are against it that have this issue. I've never seen anyone that is actually pro-primal or paleo care about it one way or the other. I certainly don't. I understand the label and flexibility with them. It's not really that difficult.

So...are legumes in or out?
  • JoRocka
    Options

clearly you have never been on a paleo board.

the paleo police- they are real- and they are serious.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

I don't doubt they exist. Zealots come in every variety.

Just on MFP, I haven't seen them AT ALL. Only that ANTI-Paleo police. Makes me chuckle.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

So...are legumes in or out?

Generally, they're out.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I don't doubt they exist. Zealots come in every variety.

Just on MFP, I haven't seen them AT ALL. Only that ANTI-Paleo police. Makes me chuckle.

None of the Paleo/Primal people I know behave the way the Paleo/Primal people do here on MFP when discussing the subject.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

wow

just. wow.

not worth it.

Lol

You mentioned you didn't follow any particular diet plan you just did what worked for you!

Sorry it's just something I made up - MDMR - My Diet, My Rules. :smile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I do assume it's the whole lifestyle, everything that might encompass the term "Primal Living". Working out, drastic dietary alterations, focusing on adequate sleep, focusing on community.

The program I'm most fond of (which I'm sure you already know at this point is the Primal Blueprint) brings it all together for one big holistic make-over.

If you could imagine someone who weighed 245, smoked, drank, depressed, office worker, no exercise ever, even paid someone to clean my house, anti-anxiety pill user with depression and insomnia, high-stress job, kids, and a new dx of reactive hypoglycemia on top of all that etc etc etc go from all that to:

185, still smoke and drink minimally, exercise 2-3 times a week, still work in an office, clean my own house, no meds at all (almost no anxiety/depression/insomia either!), low-to medium stress job, kids and no hypoglycemia at all

then you can imagine how much this lifestyle, and yes, diet, has changed my life for the better.

the guy that did the twinkie diet lost weight and had improved health markers based on blood work ....so I saw the twinkie diet is superior to Paleo ...you know because it worked for him, so it must work for everyone then, right?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I find the "verbal gymnastics" that people do to fit paleo into their lifestyle rather amusing...Like well I am going to do Paleo 80% of the time during the week, but then on weekends I will have a "non-paleo day" and then be back at it on Monday"

or how there are like thirty different variations of it..

all rather amusing...

Assuming there were any benefits to Paleo, why the heck would you not just commit to it 100%?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I find the "verbal gymnastics" that people do to fit paleo into their lifestyle rather amusing...Like well I am going to do Paleo 80% of the time during the week, but then on weekends I will have a "non-paleo day" and then be back at it on Monday"

all rather amusing...

Assuming there were any benefits to Paleo, why the heck would you not just commit to it 100%?

80/20 or 90/10 clean eaters/paleo people arguing with IIFYMers advocating mostly whole food arguments are the best. It's like taking a colorblind person and making her explain that his grass isn't green...
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

all rather amusing...

Well if you are following primal then the 80/20 rule is part of the diet. You would not be following the diet properly if you didn't. (Exaggeration by the way).

But the mac daddy Sissons does build a 80/20 rule so if we do choose to go off reservation you don't loose your primal card (only mentioned that because you seem to think that's the only reason people choose to follow it).
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    dp
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people being quite aggressive about their Paleo diets, and that really turning others off.

I've never experienced this at all. I have a relatively large group of Paleo friends, and while we "talk" about it, we don't get horrible with each other.

But there are many times it comes up in daily life, maybe if someone offers me some birthday cake.

I prefer a simple "No thanks."

No one needs a lesson in Primal living, and many people are downright offended by it.

My sister has accused me of "shoving it down her throat" but it's really a reflection of her gaining a lot of weight while I'm cheery as can be and excitedly rambling and losing fat consistently.

Part of me wants to grab sister by the shoulders and tell her all the awesomeness, but sister really doesn't want to hear it, and doesn't get excited about it, and has negative emotional connections with food and weight loss at the moment.

I've noticed when I'm with my Paleo BF we really unintentionally come across as "holier than thou" because we feed excitement off of each other about our Paleo diets and can completely derail a dinner conversation into a lesson in Primal living in no time without even realizing it.

If someone asks, or is Paleo, well, they opened the door so I come crashing in like the kool-aid man, but if they are not even remotely the kind of persons who give a crap about diet and exercise, I would really keep it all to yourself and just say "No thanks."
  • jbllewellyn
    jbllewellyn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Pros: Mostly whole, minimally processed foods

Cons:

-Arbitrary food restriction
    -Eating according to a silly title
    -No benefits of grains, legumes, and dairy

These are facts. Food choice, energy levels, etc will come down to the individual's preference and how they respond.

10/10. Absolutely correct.