Is marriage still worth it?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Honestly, no. I'm no more committed to my husband than I was before we married. We are not religious so there was never really a point to getting married. The only reason we got married was because I wasn't going back to work after our second child was born, so it made sense tax wise. Now that I'm working again, if I could get divorced without freaking out every damn family member I would, because again it makes more sense tax wise to not be married with both of us working.

The good thing about being married is you don't have to go through the legal hassle of making sure the other person has all the legal rights your spouse does if something should happen to you.

This is sad.

Um, that somebody has a marriage that is different from yours that is happy and works for them?

Right, that's what's sad in this scenario.

Yeah, I'm confused too.

Two people loving each other, and in a committed relationship, and took care of some legal paperwork for tax purposes. What is sad about that? That we have an income tax at all? (I feel that) ...Or that normal Americans respond to the tax code by obtaining legal papers to protect their families?

"Now that I'm working again, if I could get divorced without freaking out every damn family member I would, because again it makes more sense tax wise to not be married with both of us working. " Nothing about love, companinship, says she's be divorced if it was up to her,the issue is tax, not where her heart is, and you don't think that's sad?

My husband is my best friend and favorite companion. We've had trouble, and we've always met it together and beat it. We cannot imagine living our lives without the other. He says his purpose in life is to make me laugh. He's entertaining, exasperating, endlessly surprising, and if he needed a heart transplant, I would donate, without a second's hesitation. I can't imagine divorcing him, especially after 43 years, it would be like tearing my heart out.

She's indicating that they'd get a divorce for tax purposes, not that they'd actually split up. We are also paying taxes this year because our combined income puts us in a higher tax bracket than our individual incomes did. Married filling separate doesn't help, but if we weren't married, we wouldn't have to pay.

I'm not sure why filing for an uncontested divorce would have to be made known to any relatives so long as the couple intends to continue residing in the same home.

Of course, the thing I'm trying to figure out is how you would explain to a judge that you want to divorce for tax purposes.

In Missouri, if it's uncontested then no reason is given. But yeah, that would be funny.
  • wehave4
    wehave4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I say if you both are were you want to be in life, by that I mean have met all your accomplishments you have wanted to reach before thinking about marriage and you are comfortable with your salaries and all the bills being combined together than I say go for it. My husband and I were right out of high school when we got married and we started to have a family right off, not planned and so we didn't really think much of marriage and family only that we really wanted to be together and couldn't see our life with out the other in it. My husband and I married at 18 and are going on our 12 year marriage anniversary in June and were together a 1 1/2 years before we got married. We have 3 children out of it too and life couldn't be more wonderful. Yes, marriage is hard and its not always sunshine and roses but the determination you and your spouse have to make your marriage a lasting one makes your marriage more stronger over time. I truly believe that. I mean there are times you do feel like you can't go on like this anymore and you just feel like throwing in the towel after trying so hard to make it all stay together but the blessings that come from marriage are just amazing. We are also catholics and we don't believe in divorce. Its like when you marry, you marry for life and that's that. I'm not saying all catholics don't ever get divorced b/c they do but I'm just saying what are your beliefs, what are your girlfriends beliefs. Make sure you both agree on the decisions you will eventually make in the future involving your children together and finances. I mean you both have got to not be so easy on giving up on things b/c a marriage just won't work with people like that. At least with the marriages I have seen with easy quitters. It just depends on the people involved and if you are at the right place in your life for marriage and a family. Best of luck to you!!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I would love to have kids and spend the rest of my life with my girlfriend, but seeing so many people going through a divorce and what effect it has on the finances and kids I am not sure if I want to ever go down that route.

Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.

It's good to get on lock down. Makes home ownership a touch easier, medical issues a lot easier. Surprisingly though, hasn't helped us for **** with taxes.
  • Mitzki5
    Mitzki5 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Marriage is definately worth it for me. However, you must give a relationship time before jumping in and be with the right person for you. I married my highschool sweetheart. We have been together since I was 14 and her 16. I am now 36. I wouldn't trade our relationship for anything in the world. She has recently been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. The possibilities scare me to death. I have always dreamed of growing very old with this woman and can't imagine a day where she might not be in my life. If that doesn't tell you marriage is worth it, there is no convincing. Do what is in your heart.
  • megskionslo
    Options
    It is for us. We have been married for 55 years and doing very well!!
    Meg
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It is for us. We have been married for 55 years and doing very well!!
    Meg

Sweet! :heart:
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Married 5 1/2 years and been through a lot in that time. My husband is truly my other half. I couldn't imagine my life without him. I am so proud to call him "husband". There is something so much more there when two become one in marriage, it is just so different than dating.

Lots of people go into marriage thinking they can keep divorce in their back pocket in case they need an out. That essentially sets up the marriage to fail. Your wife should be someone you love UNconditionally, and anything that happens throughout marriage you stand by her side and work it out, no matter what. Both partners have to check their ego at the door. It is no longer what is best for "you" and "her", you become ONE :) Do everything for the betterment of the marriage unity.

Many marriages have problems because one partner doesn't like something about the other. They let that attribute destroy the marriage. People need to realize that nobody will change their habits just because it bothers someone else. If she had an attribute about her that makes you crazy, don't think for.a second it will ever change. I mean, it could, but doubtful. So instead of.hoping and trying to change others, we have to learn to accept all of those things and learn to integrate it in our life in the most ideal way we can come up with. Nagging doesn't help, ever.
  • trainerwannabe
    trainerwannabe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    We've lived by two rules for close to 20 years...

1) NEVER EVER say anything to each other that you wish you could take back...and
    2) Surprise me

Love is ALWAYS worth it.
  • Darkaller
    Darkaller Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Never been married or even close but I certainly hope so.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    I would love to have kids and spend the rest of my life with my girlfriend, but seeing so many people going through a divorce and what effect it has on the finances and kids I am not sure if I want to ever go down that route.

Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Marriage isn't the cause of a relationship break up. These relationships were likely to fail regardless.