Fat Positivity?

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    I have to say, there is something I do notice about fat shamers. They will say something negative about a person walking around being overweight and how it's unhealthy and drives up healthcare costs for everyone. But they'll never go into a convenience store and rail against the cashier working such a dangerous job and the possible cost if she gets shot in the head by some robber and lands in the ICU. They just buy their gas and go on their way. Likewise, when they find out someone drives a truck for a living, they don't spout statistics about the dangers of working in transportation and the healthcare costs that might be passed on to them. They don't shout out their window at every passing semi, "Quit your job! Have some discipline!" So most fat shamers don't care about health at all. They're just arses. Only listen to three people on the issue of weight: Your friends, your family, your doctor. And you get the final say.

What a ridiculously myopic and distorted view of reality.

I'm not going to take the time to dissect it, but I believe you are very wrong in your analysis and conclusion.

Actually many of us complain about public healthcare being offered at our expense, regardless of who it's being offered to (not merely overweight people driving up the costs). I don't want to be paying for insurance for thin people anymore than I want to pay for insurance for fat people. I have no problem with insurance companies charging more to people who are overweight, as insurance prices are largely driven by risk; I just have a problem with me getting the bill for someone else's health insurance, and if that bill is higher because the person not paying their fair share is also high risk, that's even worse. In short, it has less to do with the person being fat and more to do with other people having to subsidize their health care.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Yes, but as a medicine student, I know what I'm talking about. They're usually kidding themselves. It puts so much strain on their organs and is extremely damaging to their joints. Yet they claim to be healthy.

Ok, so I can't let this go. Did you mean medicine student or medical student?
  • ghostsnstuff
    ghostsnstuff Posts: 51 Member
    The fat acceptance movement DOES NOT use the term "glorify obesity"!!! That is a phrase thrown at them about what people THINK they are doing.

If they are bashing thin people and saying that they "love their beautiful fat bodies" then it's glorifying obesity. Case closed.

I seriously feel sorry for any overweight person who ends up with you as their doctor (or nurse, or whatever it is you're studying to be).

Loving your body in any state that it's in is NOT glorifying that state. Loving yourself is so much more healthy than hating yourself, no matter what your size is.

The majority of people who support HAES/fat acceptance DO NOT hate on people with other body sizes. Much in the same way that most thin/average weight people DO NOT hate on fat people... though I would say the hatred/lack of respect towards people who are overweight VASTLY outnumbers any negativity toward thin/average size people.

Say, have you ever heard of This is Thin Privilege? Also, that was rude and uncalled for - I worked my *kitten* off getting into university. Medicine is one of the most competitive courses to get into. I am studying to be a doctor. I never said there was anything wrong with loving yourself, but so many HAES people believe that fat pride means they can stay fat (unhealthy) and eat whatever they want (unhealthy). You can say whatever you want. Anything that helps you sleep at night. But the facts are that we have an obesity crisis in the first world, and you have NO IDEA how maddening this fat pride thing is from a medical perspective. We are trying to help these people. But fat pride sends out the message that being fat is okay. Children are getting that message. It is 100% not okay.

Thin privilege? What, like "being able to go on a rollercoaster" or "only having to buy one seat on an airplane"?
    Is this type of thing supposed to make me and others feel ashamed about our bodies for being thin? That's pretty strange.

Is there such thing as "tall privilege"? I've been meaning to lash out at tall people for being able to reach things that I can't.

Unfortunately, yes. Just google it. Awful blog.

I was being so cynical when I wrote that, but.. Oh my god. I can't believe that mentality actually exists. Of course, it's all on Tumblr...

If you're looking for SJWs (who, when they describe themselves, sound like a biology textbook) then Tumblr is the place to go. It really saddens me to think that people think like that.
  • ghostsnstuff
    ghostsnstuff Posts: 51 Member
    Yes, but as a medicine student, I know what I'm talking about. They're usually kidding themselves. It puts so much strain on their organs and is extremely damaging to their joints. Yet they claim to be healthy.

Ok, so I can't let this go. Did you mean medicine student or medical student?

Medical. My bad.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Fat poses so many health risks and people who claim to be happy how they are make me ANGRY!!!!! It's nothing to do with looks it's about your health! You will live a far more fulfilling life at a healthy weight.

You won't require a seatbelt extension on the plane. You won't be too big for the rides at the theme park. You can shop in normal stores. You have energy and good health. How much happier would you be?!!!

That's total BS at 291, my bloodwork, vitals, sodium, sugar, all excellent. My doctor was baffled how I could be so healthy and so fat. so this notion that you can not be healthy and fat is total bull ****.

Congrats on your biomarkers, however, you probably recognize that this weight affects your ability to do things and it is intrinsically healthier to be at a lower weight.

So while I'm not the person suggesting that you'd be happier (you might not be - I don't link happier with weight) you would be more fit and perhaps healthier.

I know this. I also know that there is a big chance that if I stay at my current weight, ten years down the road I may have issues. Also, I want to start a family soon and it is NOT recommended that I do so at my current weight. From what I gather, the deal with this thread is it doesn't matter my weight, health, or anything, I have the right to be happy and not be judged for it. Even if I had diabetes, I can still love myself. From what I've read of your post you understand this but others don't seem to. It's as if you aren't the standard of beauty, you should be working your a#% off to meet that standard or there is something wrong with you. From what I get that's the issue here right?

Of course there are risk factors with being obese, just as there are risk factors with many, many other choices that other people make.

There are a few conversations going on ...

I was responding to the idea that "it's BS" that weight poses a health risk. That's called denial. Biomarkers are but one measure of health, basic performance ability is another - I'm not suggesting everyone should be able to run a marathon but if climbing a few flights of stairs creates a significant cardio strain then that isn't very healthy - you list a few other reasons why being overweight isn't ideal.

As to being happy - I agree with you. Weight is an unfortunate factor that does affect how some people feel about themselves - I wish it wasn't - I would love to somehow be able to teach my daughters to be happy in the face of hundreds of random external factors like weight or bood size or hair length. Not so easy.

And I'll be very frank - I do judge people about their weight - not in terms of moral or happiness but in mostly pragmatic levels: will she be able to do this ride that I'm planning (surprise, yes), will I need to make more cake (umm, yep), am I going to be uncomfortable sitting on the plane next to him (yep), do I find her attractive (maybe/maybe not) - transient evaluations that have nothing to do with a person's self-worth. You own that.

I still wnat to know if I get the last cookie. :laugh:

You can have my cookies as I'm not currently eating them haha!!! :happy:

No I agree. And I may get backlash for this. Health speaking, though there may be some who don't fit this mold, being obese, or morbidly obese will "typically" lead to health complications in the future. I don't disagree with that. I don't disagree that smokers will eventually have issues either, and so forth. I just think that I don't have the right to tell a person what to do with their body (even though I do WISH my fiance' would stop using tobacco and I tell him so).

Good for you for teaching your daughters to love themselves!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I have to say, there is something I do notice about fat shamers. They will say something negative about a person walking around being overweight and how it's unhealthy and drives up healthcare costs for everyone. But they'll never go into a convenience store and rail against the cashier working such a dangerous job and the possible cost if she gets shot in the head by some robber and lands in the ICU. They just buy their gas and go on their way. Likewise, when they find out someone drives a truck for a living, they don't spout statistics about the dangers of working in transportation and the healthcare costs that might be passed on to them. They don't shout out their window at every passing semi, "Quit your job! Have some discipline!" So most fat shamers don't care about health at all. They're just arses. Only listen to three people on the issue of weight: Your friends, your family, your doctor. And you get the final say.

It's their fault for choosing such bad jobs in the first place. They don't *have* to work there. There is welfare.

Or revolution. Doesn't change the fact that people with hazardous jobs aren't getting harassed while people at a dangerous weight do face harassment. Why is that?

How do you know they aren't???

The supposed omniscience of so many posters in this thread is phenomenal.

(Of course, I also don't see hazardous jobs workers banding together online to proclaim that no one should dare even to comment on their lifestyle choice because it's theirs and theirs alone to make, consequences to everyone else be damned. Perhaps this is the distinction that leads to your difference in perception.)
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member

I mean, I'm far from healthy, yet because I'm think I don't see anybody worrying about my health.... why do you only seem to place such emphasis on people's health/the impact of their habits on their weight if they're perceived to be fat/overweight?

The fat acceptance movement is based out of mental health, not physical. It essentially believes that you should not loathe your body for it's current state, and that you should be the victim of discrimination. It's that simple. It doesn't say that any weight is more or less healthy than another, nor does it dictate anybody should be a weight. It is merely a safe space of sorts, where people who are oppressed by society are able to escape the wrath of diet culture, and thin privilege.

I'm a supporter of the fat positivity movement, because I believe that one's health is not based in one's weight. I believe that weight is more often than not (with the obvious exception of disorders like thyroid disorders/other disorders that literally affect the metabolic processes in our body responsible for digestion, weight, glucose breakdown, etc.) a symptom of a problem more so than the cause of one. I really believe in the set-point theory of weight, more so than some crappy, poorly thrown together BMI charts (which the creator it's self proclaimed was not very accurate and not to be used to determine health) or sickly societal standards.

That being said, I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from, in your fears about people's complacency and acceptance of their weight. I'm a huge supporter of pro-active health, and people taking responsibility for their health. Admittedly I work more with neuroscience and psychology, so I tend to look at things through that lens. So, I view fat acceptance as merely a form of self-acceptance, that leads to positive change. To the best of my knowledge, people who loathe their bodies are not very committed to taking positive changes to better themselves, are they? At best, people embark on dangerous fad/crash diets, fail, and end up gaining the weight back (and then some). So I support the movement, realizing that for a lot of people, radically accepting themselves as they are in the moment may lead to a positive change.

(Look up radical acceptance- it's merely the idea that we should accept things as they happen, without judgement or anxieties about rather the past or the future; it's totally possible to accept one's obese body radically, yet still strive to make positive changes for their health).

As was mentioned above, I do feel as though there are people who are using the movement as an excuse to not change their health, but who are we to police their bodies? Their life, their bodies, their choice. If it makes them feel happier and they don't feel oppressed by society, is that not a step in the right direction? Long story short, self-acceptance and body image doesn't magically cure it's self once you're at a healthy weight. If you're insecure at a higher weight, chances are you'll be at a lower weight as well. The same goes for your body-image, your self-worth, etc. which are all aspects the fat positivty movement addresses, yet are not addressed by your medical school bank of knowledge.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    So much raging against strangers' thoughts that almost certainly don't even exist.

Here's something to consider: random people care far less about every single one of you (regardless of size) than you think they do. I know that realization probably scares some of you, but it's the truth.

But if this is the boogeyman you need to get through your day, then who am I to point out that he doesn't exist?

^this...

...still.
    From this thread earlier:
    "Fat poses so many health risks and people who claim to be happy how they are make me ANGRY!!!!! "

So, these thoughts do exist. There was also a poster in this thread who said how fat people disgust her.

Find a thread where people state mean things people have said to them regrading their weight. You will find many instances of strangers that have voiced their thoughts about obese people.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    but IMHO if their was a button that they could push that would make them thin, they would push it. Thoughts?

They would run over each other's big bellies to push that button.

I've got at the very least 38lbs to lose. I don't like being overweight, especially when I wasn't most of my life. It's not comfortable. Sweating up your clothes is not fun. thights rubbing together and causing a rash is not fun. Clothes that mark your skin is not fun. Not breathing is not fun.

There is nothing pleasant about being seriuosly overweight and uncomfortable. Nothing. I don't care how many companies make size 50 bikinis and size 48 short shorts. Extremes are extremely "not good."
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    The fat acceptance movement DOES NOT use the term "glorify obesity"!!! That is a phrase thrown at them about what people THINK they are doing.

If they are bashing thin people and saying that they "love their beautiful fat bodies" then it's glorifying obesity. Case closed.

I seriously feel sorry for any overweight person who ends up with you as their doctor (or nurse, or whatever it is you're studying to be).

Loving your body in any state that it's in is NOT glorifying that state. Loving yourself is so much more healthy than hating yourself, no matter what your size is.

The majority of people who support HAES/fat acceptance DO NOT hate on people with other body sizes. Much in the same way that most thin/average weight people DO NOT hate on fat people... though I would say the hatred/lack of respect towards people who are overweight VASTLY outnumbers any negativity toward thin/average size people.

Say, have you ever heard of This is Thin Privilege? Also, that was rude and uncalled for - I worked my *kitten* off getting into university. Medicine is one of the most competitive courses to get into. I am studying to be a doctor. I never said there was anything wrong with loving yourself, but so many HAES people believe that fat pride means they can stay fat (unhealthy) and eat whatever they want (unhealthy). You can say whatever you want. Anything that helps you sleep at night. But the facts are that we have an obesity crisis in the first world, and you have NO IDEA how maddening this fat pride thing is from a medical perspective. We are trying to help these people. But fat pride sends out the message that being fat is okay. Children are getting that message. It is 100% not okay.

As someone with 20 years in the healthcare profession can I ask you not to speak as if you hold the "medical perspective" - Fat Acceptance is a complex thing and a social and individual response to pressures that are perceived by some as devaluing. When you become a doctor, perhaps you'll understand that self-love is an excellent tool for change - and that depression and desperation can make things worse, for some people. Try to be more nuanced.

edit: spelling.

^You basically summed up my perspective, much more eloquently. I totally agree with this, wholeheartedly.

By the way, they don't bash thin people. Claiming that calling out thin privilege is the same as 'thin bashing' means that all of the people of color who are calling out those being racist are 'white bashing'. All of the comments on here that claim the movement is about thin-bashing, glorifying obesity, etc. make me feel as though they don't understand the movement. It's not about those things.
  • TasteofEnvy
    TasteofEnvy Posts: 123 Member
    I think a large majority would push the EASY button if it was given to them, haha.

I think it's horrible how people support obesity. There is a difference between supporting someone who is thick but healthy than supporting someone who is obese and at risk. Yes, I know you're beautiful on the inside. Yes I know you may have hereditary issues that make it hard to lose weight. But that is NO reason to not try and do anything for a healthier life style.
    Same goes for supporting the "Nothing tastes as beautiful as skinny feels" side of things. People need to be healthy, not walking skeletons.

My boyfriend and I are on both sides of this spectrum. I have hypothyroidism, and he has hyperthyroidism. We're both working towards being healthier, not just to look bigger or smaller.
  • jofjltncb6
    So much raging against strangers' thoughts that almost certainly don't even exist.

Here's something to consider: random people care far less about every single one of you (regardless of size) than you think they do. I know that realization probably scares some of you, but it's the truth.

But if this is the boogeyman you need to get through your day, then who am I to point out that he doesn't exist?

^this...

...still.
    "Fat poses so many health risks and people who claim to be happy how they are make me ANGRY!!!!! "

So, these thoughts do exist. There was also a poster in this thread who said how fat people disgust her.

Find a thread where people state mean things people have said to them regrading their weight. You will find many instances of strangers that have voiced their thoughts about obese people.

So what do you want the 99.44% of us who don't feel this way to do about the 0.1% of people who do? In what ways are you demanding that I change my behavior because of it? What is your solution besides insulting not-fat people?*

(* Yeah, I know, YOU didn't necessarily do this...but as long as you're holding the entire population accountable for the actions of the few, I suppose I can play along.)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Fat poses so many health risks and people who claim to be happy how they are make me ANGRY!!!!! It's nothing to do with looks it's about your health! You will live a far more fulfilling life at a healthy weight.

You won't require a seatbelt extension on the plane. You won't be too big for the rides at the theme park. You can shop in normal stores. You have energy and good health. How much happier would you be?!!!

That's total BS at 291, my bloodwork, vitals, sodium, sugar, all excellent. My doctor was baffled how I could be so healthy and so fat. so this notion that you can not be healthy and fat is total bull ****.
    Ok, I'll race you up the stairs.

I'll take that action.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    There's a tremendous difference between "Don't overweight people know it's bad for them?!" and "How dare overweight people be happy with themselves!"

I see a lot of folks actually meaning the latter, but then masking it as the former. People who are promoting acceptance of themselves aren't idiots (in most cases). They know they're not at their peak physical conditions. They know the risks. But they have to get to a place where they aren't miserable with themselves, binge-eating in secret because they are ashamed (thus perpetuating the cycle), feeling alone, etc. to even care about their health and well being in the first place.

So pick "I am concerned that a few internet extremists, as exist everywhere, might be taking body acceptance to unhealthy places" or "Fat people who aren't ashamed of themselves piss me off!" but don't try to do both. If you're in that latter group, you're wrong, but at least stand up and admit that's where you are.

And yes, being thin has its privileges. It's no secret that people treat overweight people differently, and not in a good way. Equating that with a huffy "Well, skinny people get hate, too!" is silly, because EVERYONE gets hate of some kind. But it's a matter of whether or not it happens a startling majority of the time that indicates whether or not there's an imbalance somewhere.
    So what do you want the 99.44% of us who don't feel this way to do about the 0.1% of people who do? In what ways are you demanding that I change my behavior because of it? What is your solution besides insulting not-fat people?*

You just made an excellent point. 99% of people who promote and understand the benefits of body acceptance are not also bashing thin people or even "glorifying obesity." So why is this discussion even taking place?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

As someone with 20 years in the healthcare profession can I ask you not to speak as if you hold the "medical perspective" - Fat Acceptance is a complex thing and a social and individual response to pressures that are perceived by some as devaluing. When you become a doctor, perhaps you'll understand that self-love is an excellent tool for change - and that depression and desperation can make things worse, for some people. Try to be more nuanced.

edit: spelling.

That's fine. Loving yourself is important. But it is not okay to sit around being fat and not working for change because you "love yourself"

What other people do or do not do is not my business. I am not part of the body police.

I could tell you the same thing about wasting your time reading a stupid blog. You know it isn't good for you but you still do it.
    I'm sure you have some bad habits, it is your business, we do not dictate how others should live. While we might provide a health message ("or through inaction...") the final decision is the person's - same for therapy oer treatment - it will come up in class.
  • dayone987

^this...

...still.

(* Yeah, I know, YOU didn't necessarily do this...but as long as you're holding the entire population accountable for the actions of the few, I suppose I can play along.)

The first statement doubted the existence of these thoughts

"So much raging against strangers' thoughts that almost certainly don't even exist. "
    Which you agreed with.

My point was to show that they do exist.

As to the percentage of people who engage in this behavior, I don't really know for sure. I'm assuming you pulled that number from ?? ? I do hope that it is a small percentage of people that engage in that kind of stuff.

Changes in behavior from those of us who don't insult fat people might be to call out others that do and not give their words any justification.
  • jofjltncb6

^this...

...still.

"So much raging against strangers' thoughts that almost certainly don't even exist. "
    Which you agreed with.

As to the percentage of people who engage in this behavior, I don't really know for sure. I'm assuming you pulled that number from ?? ? I do hope that it is a small percentage of people that engage in that kind of stuff.

Changes in behavior from those of us who don't insult fat people might be to call out others that do and not give their words any justification.

So your rebuttal to my overall point is to play absolutes and semantics? ("Look! A forest!" "Is not! Is only a tree!")

And that statistic was provided by Proctor & Gamble...(but *might* just be a misapplication on my part. Might.)
  • alcrisp93
    alcrisp93 Posts: 70

I'm curious as to your comparison of "people who are fat" to "people of color" and "people with disabilities, trans* individuals, etc.". Do you see these as equivalences? For many, being fat isn't something that you are born with but the personal process of what you put in your mouth (with some genetics thrown in) and not really the same as the rest.

IMHO, it is likely that some of the dislike of the FP movement is the intrinsic fatalism that is perceived.

As to "people having a problem with fat people loving themselves" - again, in my opinion, perhaps a few do, most of us don't care. I don't care if you are fat or skinny or whatever as long as it does not impact my life - I will not necessarily invite someone on trip, a day out or a dinner depending on whether I consider the context/person appropriate or whether I want to change and modify my own practice - my daughter might not get invited on a high alt. climb, my vegetarian friend might not get invited to try out the new burger restaurant, or I might end up making concessions. But what you think of yourself? I don't care.

If it's positive, so much the better. If you are my child, I hope you love yourself despite "a weight". And so perhaps the issue isn't fat acceptance but self-love. If you are still focusing on self-love and fat inspiration you haven't reached the point were you just love yourself; it seems that you are focusing on this despite the weight, especially when it is placed as an opposing context to being a different body.

There is a kumbaya elightenement moment in there somewhere. Love yourself. Full stop.

It's not about a comparison between fat bodies, colored bodies, and disabled bodies. The types of discrimination these separate categories of people face (not that they don't intersect) can't be compared. But most fat positive bloggers root themselves in the movement of overall body positivity with a focus mainly on bodies that are underrepresented in media. Being disabled is not the same as being fat, and so on. There's no real equivalency line to be drawn here. I was only pointing out that most fat positive bloggers have a bigger focus.

It's possible that many people don't care if fat people love themselves, but we've seen examples already in this thread of people who very much do. "ANGRY!!!!" being one good example. Fat acceptance movements and fat acceptance anger are not directed at people who walk on by and let us live our lives. You aren't impacting our lives, so we don't care about you or what your feelings either. That's the magic of it.

Saying that the issue isn't about fat acceptance is off base. Maybe even short sighted. Have you seen any of the Killing Us Softly documentaries? Or any documentary at all on the rising numbers of eating disorders or the plummeting self esteem of young girls? Self love is not just personal- it's societal in that it's very very hard to love yourself when the culture tells you that you aren't worthy and are not allowed. Being accepted makes loving yourself much easier.

The enlightenment idea is legitimate though. Body positive bloggers (fat positive included) are trying to help people find that kumbaya. That's why they're important. That's why they matter. Self love is a choice, but it's a process too. It's one you have to learn. Growth is less frightening when there's a community of people helping and growing with you.
  • dayone987

^this...

...still.

Which you agreed with.

So your rebuttal to my overall point is to play absolutes and semantics? ("Look! A forest!" "Is not! Is only a tree!")

And that statistic was provided by Proctor & Gamble...(but *might* just be a misapplication on my part. Might.)

No, it's not just semantics. The post you initially quoted suggested that obese people were overreacting to fat-bashing; that it didn't really exist. Previous posts in this thread, other threads on this site, and from what I read, and from what I have heard directly from friends in real life lead me to believe it happens way too frequently.

It might not be a forest but I think it's at least a grove.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I love love love the idea of body positivity in general and accepting MANY different types of beauty including those who are (even morbidly) obese as beautiful people instead of shaming people for being large and/or fat and forcing everyone to subscribe to one norm. I also believe to some extent in the ideas of HAES (health at every size)...I think there are exceptions, but you can be relatively healthy at almost any weight/size.

With that said, it is a very slippery slope.

Obesity IS a health concern, plain and simple. I would hate to see our society evolve into one in which all people are 450 pounds and limited in their activities and eating horribly unhealthy food 24/7 and riding mart carts to elementary school and dying at the age of 26 because it has become "the norm".

Sometimes I already worry that we're headed there. When I was a size 20-22 in the 1990s in a high school of ~3,000 kids I seriously bet there were only a dozen other girls around my size in my school...most were thin. Now I see teenagers who are at least that big, and bigger, they seem to be everywhere.

I also hate the idea of judging and excluding thin people. It's not okay to do that. Even at 300 lb I wasn't hating on thin friends or actresses in the media nor should I ever do that.