Sugar addiction argh!

Options

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Switch to coffee with a dash of skimmed milk if you must, and no sugar. I'd avoid sweeteners too – just not chemically good for you. Train yourself to enjoy unsweetened foods. Then gradually reduce your coffee (caffeine) too. Take a little paracetamol if you get a stinker of a headache, and drink lots of water. Sparkling is fine if you like the bubbles.

Avoid all puddings except the odd low fat yoghurt. If you need a sweet hit, try a root-vegetable main, such as butternut squash and lentil soup with lots of chilli, or a root vegetable, sage and chick-pea casserole.

If you get 'hunger pains', a small shot of 100ml skimmed milk and an apple usually sorts me out for an hour or so and has lots of calcium and nutrients. Should keep you going til the next meal. Encourage your tummy to send the right signals to your brain!!

Good luck!!
    bert20stare.gif
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Yes I was called ascinine and that was offensive.

Ok, now I want an apology. I was willing to let it slide, but your claim has no basis in fact.

Still waiting...

giphy.gif

I think she's finally showed some intelligence by knowing when to get out. Haha
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Somewhat related to sugar in food, but definitely interesting --

2Leb7RY.jpg
    TQIfSqs.jpg

Nicely done.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    TIL rice isnt a saccharide, alcoholism can be cured by vodka, and cane sugar isnt natural.
  • startandstaydown
    Options
    It's not easy to cut back. I'm pretty sure your headaches could be caused by with drawl from the caffeine when you cut down on Coke. Your system will need time to get used to less and less caffeine. Check out the ingredients in other regular colas and even sugar-free colas. Coffee and/or tea both contain caffeine too, but you can take them with artificial sweetener.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Ok, now I want an apology. I was willing to let it slide, but your claim has no basis in fact.

Still waiting...

giphy.gif

One can only hope!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    TIL rice isnt a saccharide, alcoholism can be cured by vodka, and cane sugar isnt natural.

I think you got it...lol. Makes all kinds of sense.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

giphy.gif
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I found if I stay away from sugar it really helped me. The moment I had a cookie, slice of cake, ice cream bar etc I found it very hard to not continue snacking on junk throughout the day. I would liken sugar to a drug...and my physician said it hits the same receptors in the brain as some drugs...so for some it is hard to stop.

cookie =/= sugar
    Cookie = sugar + flour + eggs + [insert flavoring} + butter [etc]

Some do drugs, some do cookies.

2f326c8fbca31c929ed2b5959ae3a313_zps641535e1.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Still waiting...

giphy.gif

One can only hope!

26532-my-little-pony-Abandon-thread-djSp.gif
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Sugar is most definately addicting! You detox by only using natural sugars (i.e. honey, natural stevia) and only eating foods where sugar is the 5th ingredient - they are out there!!) I say stay away from diet soda and processed foods altogether. Drink plenty of water!!!! Any detox (caffiene, sugar) will give you headaches. Hang in their. They will go away.

The term detox is being used incorrectly. Bro science is fond of the word 'detox' even though it does not truly apply to things like sugar or supposed built-up toxins in your body. Your body does not detox from sugar. Sugar is not a toxin to the body as it is used as a source of energy. Too much added sugar can cause problems but that is another issue. You can detox from caffeine, something your body does not need to function properly although some may argue that. Actual detox involves a set of physiological withdrawl symptoms like the shakes, headaches, nausea, high blood pressure spikes and so forth.
  • jmv7117
    Options
    [
    Sigh... Do you actually understand what you are saying?

Basically this article says that sucrose is cleaved into glucose and fructose by the enzyme sucrase in the body. Then it says that honey has enzymes that act like sucrase and cleave sucrose in honey into glucose and fructose.

So, once they are both cleaved into glucose and fructose, the body digests them identically. They both get absorbed into the blood by the small intestine.

By the way, the glycemic index has been debunked, and even so, honey at 55 is still considered high on the glycemic scale. Virtually identical from a health standpoint.
    [/quote]

I was only providing a few items of research. Honey is natural, sugar is processed. By that point, your body metabolizes processed food differenly. Natural/Whole foods are what are best for your body, period.
    I have been studying this for some time and have done my own research. If you feel differently, fine.
    [/quote]

Unless you are using local raw honey bought directly from the beekeeper, the honey you are using is processed as well. Just saying...
  • katedaniels1985
    Options
    Thank you, I usually have a bottle as my first drink of the day as a wake me up, then another 2 while at work, still drinking water so it's not the only drink I have. I have already cut out having coke at home so that has reduced it a lot. Today I just had 2 bottles the 500ml one and had a headache but ibuprofen fixed that. I'm going to try to get used to having just the 2 bottles and get used to that. I've tried the cold turkey approach before and failed, several times, so I think instead of setting myself up for a probably fail maybe a different approach will be best. I also don't drink tea or coffee so the caffeine is just from the coke.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    If you search for "sugar addiction" on WebMD, there is a very good slideshow and text on sugar addiction. You can also search by glycemic index to see definitions of what this is and how to use those numbers.
  • jmv7117
    Options
    Thank you, I usually have a bottle as my first drink of the day as a wake me up, then another 2 while at work, still drinking water so it's not the only drink I have. I have already cut out having coke at home so that has reduced it a lot. Today I just had 2 bottles the 500ml one and had a headache but ibuprofen fixed that. I'm going to try to get used to having just the 2 bottles and get used to that. I've tried the cold turkey approach before and failed, several times, so I think instead of setting myself up for a probably fail maybe a different approach will be best. I also don't drink tea or coffee so the caffeine is just from the coke.

If you are turning to ibuprofen for headache relief from not having coke, the problem might not be the coke. Ibuprofen aside of causing many other health problems can cause rebound headaches. So your headache might not be from the coke but rather the ibuprofen itself. Just an idea. A piece of dark chocolate (10 g is about 60 calories) can also give relief from caffeine withdrawl and it's heart friendly. Good luck.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

If you are turning to ibuprofen for headache relief from not having coke, the problem might not be the coke. Ibuprofen aside of causing many other health problems can cause rebound headaches. So your headache might not be from the coke but rather the ibuprofen itself. Just an idea. A piece of dark chocolate (10 g is about 60 calories) can also give relief from caffeine withdrawl and it's heart friendly. Good luck.
    You know the chocolate has caffeine, right?

Peer-reviewed studies showing that ibuprofen CAUSES headaches (or 'many other health problems, for that matter) would be wonderful, if you could link them.
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    300caloriesvk6.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

You know the chocolate has caffeine, right?

Peer-reviewed studies showing that ibuprofen CAUSES headaches (or 'many other health problems, for that matter) would be wonderful, if you could link them.

Chocolate is a wonderful medicine for a variety of ailments, including headaches. FWIW, ibuprofen makes my husband nauseous. If you think that's impossible, just read the warning label. The maker of ibuprofen include it as a potential side effect. Long-term use can cause other problems as well, which is why the label indicates to visit your doctor if problems persist. Almost every FDA approved pill on the market has potential for adverse reactions.

If you don't have a bottle of it handy, here's the wikipedia article with the citations:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibuprofen#Adverse_effects
  • 20percy14
    20percy14 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm 28, always naturally yoyo'd through childhood, went to uni, piled it on and my weight just keeps going up. Until now. I signed up nearly 2 weeks ago and I'm already feeling better, despite a glitch with the scales, I moved where I weighed myself and shot up a stone and a half overnight :( My main setback now is my addiction to Coke (the drink not the drug) I should probably say addiction to sugar as I do have a sweet tooth but when I try to cut back on the pop I get horrible headaches whereas I can do without the chocolate. If anyone has any advice on getting over that I'd greatly appreciate it :)

Hi I am a fellow sugar addict, I did a couple of sessions of bikram yoga and found that really helped me. I dont know why, maybe the mindfullness but it helped I went from 2litres of coke a day to maybe a can once every few days if i could be bothered. No headaches or withdrawals but some exhaustion due to heavy sweating... good luck
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Definitely caffeine withdrawal. There's no such thing as sugar addiction. That would be akin to "oxygen addiction," as the human body literally requires sugar to live.

Well, part of this statement is right.

The body does need glucose to live which is a sugar found in foods like fruits. You're right, in that.

But what the body DOES NOT need, is the highly processed sugar that is found in a lot foods that really don't need it, but it's a great cheap preservative.

And sorry, but you're wrong about the addiction part also. I am an addiction counselor [non-practicing] but yes, a person can be addicted to sugar, especially the type found in things like soda, candy, cookies, cake and that sort of thing. I am living proof of it. When I experience stress, I like to reach for chocolate, or other candy. I have actual physical cravings and they are similar to the nicotine cravings I used to have after I quit smoking. Yes, I did switch one addictive substance for another.

I would normally back this statement up with proof, and give you links, but I just got an emergency call and have to run but felt it important enough to finish this post to you.

To the OP, take it one day at a time. It will get better. I am fighting it myself. I gave up candy for Lent and it's been really rough, but I can tell you that each day it does get better.

P.S. I will come back later and edit this post with scientific fact (not bro-science) of sugar addiction.

After 72 hours, nicotine is out of your system. The cravings you have after that are purely psychological, not physical. It is the same for any physically addictive substance, more or less depending on how long it takes your body to detox from that substance.

Sugar is not physically addictive, but you may have a psychological pull to a food that provides you emotional comfort. if it were truly physically addictive, then you would not care that the food you were reaching for is chocolate. You would eat any food containing sugar you could get your hands on.

Don't need science here, just a little common sense.

A voice of reason. Hope this thread will now die a natural and painless death.