Sugar addiction argh!

Options
1234568»

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Definitely caffeine withdrawal. There's no such thing as sugar addiction. That would be akin to "oxygen addiction," as the human body literally requires sugar to live.

Well, part of this statement is right.

The body does need glucose to live which is a sugar found in foods like fruits. You're right, in that.

But what the body DOES NOT need, is the highly processed sugar that is found in a lot foods that really don't need it, but it's a great cheap preservative.

And sorry, but you're wrong about the addiction part also. I am an addiction counselor [non-practicing] but yes, a person can be addicted to sugar, especially the type found in things like soda, candy, cookies, cake and that sort of thing. I am living proof of it. When I experience stress, I like to reach for chocolate, or other candy. I have actual physical cravings and they are similar to the nicotine cravings I used to have after I quit smoking. Yes, I did switch one addictive substance for another.

I would normally back this statement up with proof, and give you links, but I just got an emergency call and have to run but felt it important enough to finish this post to you.

To the OP, take it one day at a time. It will get better. I am fighting it myself. I gave up candy for Lent and it's been really rough, but I can tell you that each day it does get better.

P.S. I will come back later and edit this post with scientific fact (not bro-science) of sugar addiction.

After 72 hours, nicotine is out of your system. The cravings you have after that are purely psychological, not physical. It is the same for any physically addictive substance, more or less depending on how long it takes your body to detox from that substance.

Sugar is not physically addictive, but you may have a psychological pull to a food that provides you emotional comfort. if it were truly physically addictive, then you would not care that the food you were reaching for is chocolate. You would eat any food containing sugar you could get your hands on.

Don't need science here, just a little common sense.

A voice of reason. Hope this thread will now die a natural and painless death.

Short Definition of Addiction:

Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I usually have a bottle as my first drink of the day as a wake me up, then another 2 while at work, still drinking water so it's not the only drink I have. I have already cut out having coke at home so that has reduced it a lot. Today I just had 2 bottles the 500ml one and had a headache but ibuprofen fixed that. I'm going to try to get used to having just the 2 bottles and get used to that. I've tried the cold turkey approach before and failed, several times, so I think instead of setting myself up for a probably fail maybe a different approach will be best. I also don't drink tea or coffee so the caffeine is just from the coke.

If you are turning to ibuprofen for headache relief from not having coke, the problem might not be the coke. Ibuprofen aside of causing many other health problems can cause rebound headaches. So your headache might not be from the coke but rather the ibuprofen itself. Just an idea. A piece of dark chocolate (10 g is about 60 calories) can also give relief from caffeine withdrawl and it's heart friendly. Good luck.
    You know the chocolate has caffeine, right?

Peer-reviewed studies showing that ibuprofen CAUSES headaches (or 'many other health problems, for that matter) would be wonderful, if you could link them.

Chocolate is a wonderful medicine for a variety of ailments, including headaches. FWIW, ibuprofen makes my husband nauseous. If you think that's impossible, just read the warning label. The maker of ibuprofen include it as a potential side effect. Long-term use can cause other problems as well, which is why the label indicates to visit your doctor if problems persist. Almost every FDA approved pill on the market has potential for adverse reactions.

If you don't have a bottle of it handy, here's the wikipedia article with the citations:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibuprofen#Adverse_effects
    I didn't say it was impossible to have adverse reactions to ibuprofen; I said nothing at all about whether ibuprofen could cause nausea. I am asking for a credible citation (not wikipedia) that says you should not take ibuprofen for headaches if you have no known issues with that medication, due to its ability to cause headaches or 'other health problems.'
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Definitely caffeine withdrawal. There's no such thing as sugar addiction. That would be akin to "oxygen addiction," as the human body literally requires sugar to live.

The body does need glucose to live which is a sugar found in foods like fruits. You're right, in that.

But what the body DOES NOT need, is the highly processed sugar that is found in a lot foods that really don't need it, but it's a great cheap preservative.

And sorry, but you're wrong about the addiction part also. I am an addiction counselor [non-practicing] but yes, a person can be addicted to sugar, especially the type found in things like soda, candy, cookies, cake and that sort of thing. I am living proof of it. When I experience stress, I like to reach for chocolate, or other candy. I have actual physical cravings and they are similar to the nicotine cravings I used to have after I quit smoking. Yes, I did switch one addictive substance for another.

I would normally back this statement up with proof, and give you links, but I just got an emergency call and have to run but felt it important enough to finish this post to you.

To the OP, take it one day at a time. It will get better. I am fighting it myself. I gave up candy for Lent and it's been really rough, but I can tell you that each day it does get better.

P.S. I will come back later and edit this post with scientific fact (not bro-science) of sugar addiction.

After 72 hours, nicotine is out of your system. The cravings you have after that are purely psychological, not physical. It is the same for any physically addictive substance, more or less depending on how long it takes your body to detox from that substance.

Sugar is not physically addictive, but you may have a psychological pull to a food that provides you emotional comfort. if it were truly physically addictive, then you would not care that the food you were reaching for is chocolate. You would eat any food containing sugar you could get your hands on.

Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death
    Psychological addictions have absolutely NOTHING to do with the supposed item the addict is addicted to. Someone who suffers from psychological addictions will constantly substitute one thing for another until psychological treatment deals with the underlying issue.

If someone truly had a psychological addiction problem, then they would become equally addicted to whatever food they replaced the sugar with, as psychological addictions generally substitute one reward for another (commonly known as addictive personality.)

People claiming sugar addiction, but stating they aren't addicted to the foods they replace sugar with (completely ignoring the fact that all of them are still eating sugar anyway) means they aren't addicted to sugar. Lack of willpower =/= addiction, no matter how badly people want to make excuses for their behavior.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Psychological addictions have absolutely NOTHING to do with the supposed item the addict is addicted to. Someone who suffers from psychological addictions will constantly substitute one thing for another until psychological treatment deals with the underlying issue.

If someone truly had a psychological addiction problem, then they would become equally addicted to whatever food they replaced the sugar with, as psychological addictions generally substitute one reward for another (commonly known as addictive personality.)

People claiming sugar addiction, but stating they aren't addicted to the foods they replace sugar with (completely ignoring the fact that all of them are still eating sugar anyway) means they aren't addicted to sugar. Lack of willpower =/= addiction, no matter how badly people want to make excuses for their behavior.

^^ Truth

Also, ignoring the root cause of compulsive behavior does NOTHING to help the person. The person will still struggle with the underlying cause and simply switch to a different unhealthy coping mechanism.

Compulsive behavior, whether it's eating or gambling or whatever, needs to be examined to find the root cause. Once the cause is established then steps can be taken to make better choices.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

In regards to the OP's perceived addiction you maybe right it maybe a fiction addiction.

For everything else you have said you are just outright wrong.

Unless of course you have some peer reviewed studies to support your claim?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

^^ Truth

Also, ignoring the root cause of compulsive behavior does NOTHING to help the person. The person will still struggle with the underlying cause and simply switch to a different unhealthy coping mechanism.

Compulsive behavior, whether it's eating or gambling or whatever, needs to be examined to find the root cause. Once the cause is established then steps can be taken to make better choices.

Compulsive behaviour is total different to addiction! There doesn't even need to be a reward correlation with compulsive behaviour.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Yep.

All the back-and-forth nitpick over the definition of addiction and need for sources (as if facts change the minds of the faithful anyway) completely sidesteps the real issue here, which is that people need to take responsibility for their behaviors. Maybe that means cutting a food out of your diet for now or forever, maybe that means putting what you love on the food scale and logging and learning moderation. Either way, YOUR (general "your" - not you specifically) behavior, YOUR responsibility.

And not directing that the OP, who has ignored all of the squabbling and taken responsibility like she ought to.